ADVERTISEMENT

How did Stanford become a better Football program than ND w/ lower rated players ?

IrishBlessings

ND Expert
Jun 25, 2013
How does Stanford win more than ND ?

Has Stanford ever had a recruiting class that ranked higher than ND ? Ever ? I don't want to look it up - but, if memory serves me right - Stanford has never had a recruiting class ranked higher than ND. Maybe someone can prove me wrong.

Yet how do they for the last 5 or 6 years now win more games than ND ? How does that happen we both recruit the same type of players yet Stanford's players are rated overall lower than ND's.

I will say this - WA. will beat Stanford this year and WA. will represent the Pac 12 as the best overall team this season. But, Stanford will be right there w/ them and will most likely win at least 10 games this season - a season that was supposed to be transition year for Stanford will still result in a pretty dam good season w/ a great bowl to go to which they will probably win.

Stanford - The Stanford Tree's with that piece of shit band they have and ridiculous fight song (I actually like the song - its just not a traditional fight song) has become a better football program than ND.

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever see that coming - when Luck graduated I was for sure certain Stanford would revert to the Stanford of old - all Offense and No defense or very little defense and their annual .500 seasons. Boy was I dead wrong.

Stanford is a better football program than ND.

Has Stanford ever had a recruiting class that ranked higher than ND ? Ever ? I don't want to look it up - but, if memory serves me right - Stanford has never had a recruiting class ranked higher than ND. Maybe someone can prove me wrong.

Yet how do they for the last 5 or 6 years now win more games than ND ? How does that happen we both recruit the same type of players yet Stanford's players are rated overall lower than ND's.

I will say this - WA. will beat Stanford this year and WA. will represent the Pac 12 as the best overall team this season. But, Stanford will be right there w/ them and will most likely win at least 10 games this season - a season that was supposed to be transition year for Stanford will still result in a pretty dam good season w/ a great bowl to go to which they will probably win.

Stanford - The Stanford Tree's with that piece of shit band they have and ridiculous fight song (I actually like the song - its just not a traditional fight song) has become a better football program than ND.

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever see that coming - when Luck graduated I was for sure certain Stanford would revert to the Stanford of old - all Offense and No defense or very little defense and their annual .500 seasons. Boy was I dead wrong.

They are running a system on both sides of the ball that fits the recruits they get and a hard nosed no bull crap coach

I wrote this in another thread earlier....
"I recently had a discussion with an "interesting" Stanford individual and briefly discussed the recruiting rankings versus ours' among other things. "We don't give a sh** about player rankings. We care if an athlete fits into our system."

I have met/spoken with Shaw on multiple occasions. He's genuine, low key, brilliant, personable and an assassin....

We have a guy that never met a donut he didn't like and is incredibly football dumb.

well according to a poster:

1. Bodizephax
    Hopefully Swarbrick can convince Coach Kelly to step down after the season. I like Coach Kelly but I love the Irish and want to get to the next level.
    Coach Kelly has done a good job making the Irish job attractive again for the next coach. I hope the Irish can get a top notch outside hire but if they can't just hire Mike Denbrock.

I eat my crow in thinking this Irish team was destined for Greatness !

1 Bodizephax, Saturday at 11:32 PM

Reactions: cgvr and 88ND
"I recently had a discussion with an "interesting" Stanford individual and briefly discussed the recruiting rankings versus ours' among other things. "We don't give a sh** about player rankings. We care if an athlete fits into our system."

I have met/spoken with Shaw on multiple occasions. He's genuine, low key, brilliant, personable and an assassin....

We have a guy that never met a donut he didn't like and is incredibly football dumb.

I would of liked to have spoke with him..

A very impressive person indeed

Reactions: 88ND

CGVR, agree 100 percent on what you say about Shaw - great coach and he is the sole reason Stanford is better than ND. As for BK - you are overly harsh on him in that - how do you explain his football record at GVS ? And Cincy ? did he just have such a superior talent base than his opponents that he won in spite of his coaching blunders ?

I actually think he is not a terrible coach - he is a above average recruiter and his schemes just are not good fits at ND and who we play - we not playing cincy type opponents and sure as hell are not playing GVS type opponenets - I know it is all relative - etc. But for whatever reason our style of play should reflect more like how Stanford does it - great Olines - strong running attacks w/ a tough as nails defense.

The BK way is too much like a finesse type team - we don't punch teams in the face like we should. And because we are such a finesse style team it leads us into matchups that we struggle against and BK has shown he is not the best at making in game adjustments. And then he seems to panic and make bad decisions.

But, there is really no excuse for some of the poor pre game attributes his teams have - piss poor tacking - piss poor special teams, etc. those areas are no excuse to be so bad in game after game.

I really wish I could like BK - but it gets harder and harder every year and now that Stanford is definitely a better football program than ND - it now makes it really hard to like BK.

I see Stanford do it w/ less talent and it is extremely disheartening.

CGVR, agree 100 percent on what you say about Shaw - great coach and he is the sole reason Stanford is better than ND. As for BK - you are overly harsh on him in that - how do you explain his football record at GVS ? And Cincy ? did he just have such a superior talent base than his opponents that he won in spite of his coaching blunders ?

I actually think he is not a terrible coach - he is a above average recruiter and his schemes just are not good fits at ND and who we play - we not playing cincy type opponents and sure as hell are not playing GVS type opponenets - I know it is all relative - etc. But for whatever reason our style of play should reflect more like how Stanford does it - great Olines - strong running attacks w/ a tough as nails defense.

The BK way is too much like a finesse type team - we don't punch teams in the face like we should. And because we are such a finesse style team it leads us into matchups that we struggle against and BK has shown he is not the best at making in game adjustments. And then he seems to panic and make bad decisions.

But, there is really no excuse for some of the poor pre game attributes his teams have - piss poor tacking - piss poor special teams, etc. those areas are no excuse to be so bad in game after game.

I really wish I could like BK - but it gets harder and harder every year and now that Stanford is definitely a better football program than ND - it now makes it really hard to like BK.

Kelly out coaches himself. Example...we used to hurry up hurry up hurry up. Ball set, let's snap. Now we no huddle but snap the ball with about 5 seconds left.

It's retarded stuff like that ...that will keep him from getting elite. Calling a timeout to punt. ? I mean if it was a rookie head coach I'd give him a pass...but many year experienced Brian Kelly....really? Yep.

His love affair with his bff from days of yore are killing this program right before our eyes. It's bullshit to watch this. It's embarrassing.

Thanks Brian Kelly...thank you for making something many people enjoyed and just ruining and decimating it.

Oh..Jaylon needs replaced...my bad.

Hey Brian Kelly...**** off

First off, take all the D2 stuff and toss it out the window as worthless. Mr. Potato Head barely out performed his predecessor Tom Beck there. .73529 vs. .76774.... then Martin took over and destroyed both of them at .91358. Numb nuts won 2 NCs in 13 years. Martin won 2 in 6.

If you'd like to compare game planning against southern cal to game planning against CW Post have at it. I am not impressed with his D2 resume at all. It's like bragging about being at Merrill Lynch for decades only you were a clerk...

He struck gold in Cinci by following D'antonio who was putting an infrastructure in place. Porky's 3 year run there was with D'antonio's build. In 2007, his biggest name wins were Rutgers and Syracuse. In 2008, they were Pitt, Syr, and W Va. In 2009, they were Pitt, Rutgers, Oregon State...he then left his undefeated team in the dust before they were trounced by FL.

ND took a flyer with a guy that did not have an adequate resume for the challenges he would face. His talent/persona intimidates no opponents. His coaching relies heavily on ineffective sideline bullying. He's far too often unhinged and classless.

Dopey is capable of dialing up the occasional gem, but what coach isn't? Cripes you see the Oklahoma game and "think there it is!" Same with fsu....

He's an average to slightly above average D1 CFB HC.

The problem with kelly is his bravado, ego...lack of humility...he's often a vulgar, abrasive and abusive prick...among other things.

I'd bet a ton of money that he and bvg believe they are the smartest coaches in the business.

both are morons....

PS Pumpkin's run at cmu was equally unimpressive...

That's fine, he is a great coach and would be a wonderful fit here - if? - he wants to be here. We had this before with Ty. Not again. He has to buy in and want to become a success here, not somewhere else, college or pro. Here! ND1. I'm doubtful, but if he does, open the check book and tell him how many zeros does he need. Oh, and whoever it is, be prepared to spend a lot more on the coaching staff, or don't bother and waste money.

reading comments and, I guess excuses/explanations the impression of the staff might remind one of another team:

Reactions: cgvr
That's fine, he is a great coach and would be a wonderful fit here - if? - he wants to be here. We had this before with Ty. Not again. He has to buy in and want to become a success here, not somewhere else, college or pro. Here! ND1. I'm doubtful, but if he does, open the check book and tell him how many zeros does he need. Oh, and whoever it is, be prepared to spend a lot more on the coaching staff, or don't bother and waste money.

He ain't coming to ND ever... You could unload Fort Knox and it wouldn't happen...
We are the enemy... He's at his Alma mater and is the toast of the town... billionaires, millionaires...his wife is amazing and his kids are beyond happy. South Bend... hahahahaha

He can be beaten this year, but we'll have to be extremely sharp...

He ain't coming to ND ever... You could unload Fort Knox and it wouldn't happen...
We are the enemy... He's at his Alma mater and is the toast of the town... billionaires, millionaires...his wife is amazing and his kids are beyond happy. South Bend... hahahahaha

With Coach 8 & 4? Sharp? Please....

I would of liked to have spoke with him..

A very impressive person indeed

I am a guest at an annual Stanford fund raiser....real impressive stuff across the board... The wealth that school has is gargantuan... His memory is impeccable.... calls Harbaugh, "That crazy tornado of a man..."

The Irish are going to make it three straight at home against Stanford this year ! In Kizer I trust !

Couple things:

1) No, not one.. 0 coaches in America give a rats ass about recruiting rankings. Not revelatory. They leave that for Pers.

2) Somebody said David Shaw was the sole reason for Stanford's success.. False. Heard of Jim Harbaugh? He took over a one win team. Shaw was the beneficiary of a Harbaugh led era that left him fresh off a Rose Bowl and Andrew Luck. Little different than taking over the shit show that was Charlie Weis. One had to rebuild, one had to sustain.

Get off your knees and clean yourself up .. You're embarrassing yourself. You're going to catch clap from surrendering yourself to Shaw and Harbaugh.

Reactions: Quest4Twelve
Get off your knees and clean yourself up .. You're embarrassing yourself. You're going to catch clap from surrendering yourself to Shaw and Harbaugh.
I am sure every female in your family is familiar with it.
PS Shaw and Harbaugh go way back....

The only thing that Stanford is missing are a few more skill players per class. Brilliant but drab coach, drab uniforms... Tough to compete in recruiting with USC, Oregon, and even ND.

Couple things:

1) No, not one.. 0 coaches in America give a rats ass about recruiting rankings. Not revelatory. They leave that for Pers.

2) Somebody said David Shaw was the sole reason for Stanford's success.. False. Heard of Jim Harbaugh? He took over a one win team. Shaw was the beneficiary of a Harbaugh led era that left him fresh off a Rose Bowl and Andrew Luck. Little different than taking over the shit show that was Charlie Weis. One had to rebuild, one had to sustain.

Bzz, I guess ND should go recruit lower rated players and up w/ recruiting classes that rank
Couple things:

Bzzy, I agree with you - ND should not focus so much on a recruits star rating and recruit more like Stanford - go out and sign ballers regardless of star rating that like to play football w/ a chip on their shoulder and no how to tackle. If ND just did that maybe we'd play better defense and win games we are favored in. And maybe just maybe win one where we are an underdog.

As for your 2nd pt. disagree - any coach worth his salt will tell you it is more difficult to sustain greatness than the coach who comes into a losing or .500 situation and then win. Plus in case you haven't noticed - Shaw has surpassed Harboughs winning % at Stanford and has won more big games than Jimmy did. Shaws doing it with his players not jimmy's.

I am a guest at an annual Stanford fund raiser....real impressive stuff across the board... The wealth that school has is gargantuan... His memory is impeccable.... calls Harbaugh, "That crazy tornado of a man..."
Bzz, I guess ND should go recruit lower rated players and up w/ recruiting classes that rank

Bzzy, I agree with you - ND should not focus so much on a recruits star rating and recruit more like Stanford - go out and sign ballers regardless of star rating that like to play football w/ a chip on their shoulder and no how to tackle. If ND just did that maybe we'd play better defense and win games we are favored in. And maybe just maybe win one where we are an underdog.

As for your 2nd pt. disagree - any coach worth his salt will tell you it is more difficult to sustain greatness than the coach who comes into a losing or .500 situation and then win. Plus in case you haven't noticed - Shaw has surpassed Harboughs winning % at Stanford and has won more big games than Jimmy did. Shaws doing it with his players not jimmy's.
hypothetically, disregarding my love for ND, if I'm offered a job from a team that just won a rose bowl and had the #1 pick or a team off their worst 3-year run in history (15-21), no brainer.

Shaw is doing a fantastic job but yet he nor Harbaugh have gotten their squad to a level BK has (the title game). Their work would be unacceptable @ ND, plain and simple.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Couple things:

Partially wrong.
While it was nice to get handed the keys of a finely tuned machine...

This is his baby. The harbaugh impact is long gone.
Shaw could have ruined it or kept right on going and in some ways improved.

This is Shaw's team now and we see the results.

hypothetically, disregarding my love for ND, if I'm offered a job from a team that just won a rose bowl and had the #1 pick or a team off their worst 3-year run in history (15-21), no brainer.

Shaw is doing a fantastic job but yet he nor Harbaugh have gotten their squad to a level BK has (the title game). Their work would be unacceptable @ ND, plain and simple.
Really? Want to bet that?
Right now...in case you didn't know ND nation would take a text book tackle.

But for real....sure everyone wants a NC....but most fan here realize you have to walk before running....in this case walking would be winning a major bowl game...or just winning some games in adverse conditions etc. Ya know ...good enough to defy some odds. The very things Shaw and Harbaugh have in fact done.

So while they might not have played in a title game yet...if you polled the fan, most I assure would be extremely excited and welcome either of those guys...because their teams week in and week out are competitive, tackle well...coached well. Play hard.

Yeah sign me up for that please.

Unacceptable ? My focus is on Shaw since he has been the current Stanford coach now since 2010 or 2011. Let's see - Stanfords been to 6 bowl games in a row w/ 5 of those bowl games New Years day type bowls - 3 Rose Bowls / 1 Fiesta / 1 Orange.

Stanford record in their last 6 bowl games 4-2.

I think their average win total in those 6 years is 11 -

I'd venture to say 99% (your the 1 percent) of all ND fans and 100% of all ND Admin would take those wins and big bowl games wins as well.

I love ND too - trust me more than Stanford - And I hope the stars align and we can somehow be 4-2 when we play them and get the win to move to 5-2.

Unacceptable ? My focus is on Shaw since he has been the current Stanford coach now since 2010 or 2011. Let's see - Stanfords been to 6 bowl games in a row w/ 5 of those bowl games New Years day type bowls - 3 Rose Bowls / 1 Fiesta / 1 Orange.

Stanford record in their last 6 bowl games 4-2.

I think their average win total in those 6 years is 11 -

I'd venture to say 99% (your the 1 percent) of all ND fans and 100% of all ND Admin would take those wins and big bowl games wins as well.

I love ND too - trust me more than Stanford - And I hope the stars align and we can somehow be 4-2 when we play them and get the win to move to 5-2.
Me too....

But sadly part of me is concerned with this scenario playing out...

It goes against everything I stand for to hope ND loses....

But more bad can only lead to good...(coaching change)

Doing just above average seems to be Kelly. It also seems enough sadly to keep him and staff.

So while I'm in the always root for ND mindset....I'd be lying if if I said I also wasn't thinking about whatever the hell it takes to get him the **** out.

Couple things:

That's false.

Coach Weis left coach Kelly the players that gave him a 12-0 regular season.......since then how many undefeated season have there been?

Reactions: 88ND

Hum .....a loss at the NC game with no major Bowl wins... or 4 major Bowl wins with not title game shot.

which is the higher ceiling?

That's false.

Coach Weis left coach Kelly the players that gave him a 12-0 regular season.......since then how many undefeated season have there been?

Coach Weiss was a terrible coach. ND does not go 12 and 0 with Weiss they would have been 6 and 6. And the freshman and Sophomores were all Kellys. So it was not like they were all Weises players.

Riding the coat tails of great men. What kind of

Hum .....a loss at the NC game with no major Bowl wins... or 4 major Bowl wins with not title game shot.

That's false.

Really??? Just going to blatantly discount: Christian Lombard, TJ Jones, Daniel Smith, George Atkinson, Everett Golson, Louis Nix, Prince Shembo, Danny Spond, Bennett Jackson, Stephon Tuitt, Aaron Lynch, Keivarie Russell, Chris Brown, Mathias Farley, Devonte Neal, DaVarris Daniels, Tony Springman. Naw, those fools never saw the field.

Last edited:
No question Shaw is doing a GREAT job at Stanford. And yes that is the main comparison to WHY ND can truly become elite with "smart" players....again.

IMO BK & staff have needed to focus on recruits that actually are RKG's. lynch's & Bryant's & others were not going to last 3 years at ND. But Zack Martin's & Theo's & Eifert's--yes! BK has lost a lot of recruits which has kept him in a constant rebuilding mode.

Then the choice of some coaches.....esp. DC.

GET BETTER ND!!!

Reactions: Bodizephax
^ those lost 4&5 stars were factors in the rankings his recruiting clases achieved.
Ex. Vanderduh is still counted as a commit.
If you look at the talent that left you have a pretty good team.
If you then add in the late decommits you have a ...even better.
ND classes were over ranked when you take away those that left or did not show or just should never have, for whatever reasons, come to ND.

348: you're right. It is easier to recruit the type of player for a team focusing on power. In past decades ND was not getting the elites in greater %. But the physical play combined excellent fundamentals, played with great determination and focus made ND teams successful. If I look for another coaching regime that is the kind of 'teacher' I look to hire.

A lot of talk about getting a hard nosed, physical type coach like Shaw as the road to success. While I agree that style would best fit ND, I think ND problems are lack of any style on offense and defense.

There are plenty of schools below ND in the recruiting rankings yet have better records over the last 5 or so years. Oregon and Baylor are examples. On offense ND has no identity, we are a hybrid; spread, option, running team but not committed to any of those. On defense we have been a bend-don't-break team now an attacking team that can't create TO.

One of Kelly's problems has been his inability to develop an identity on either side of the ball then hire coaches and recruit players to fit those systems.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Really??? Just going to blatantly discount: Christian Lombard, TJ Jones, Daniel Smith, George Atkinson, Everett Golson, Louis Nix, Prince Shembo, Danny Spond, Bennett Jackson, Stephon Tuitt, Aaron Lynch, Keivarie Russell, Chris Brown, Mathias Farley, Devonte Neal, DaVarris Daniels, Tony Springman. Naw, those fools never saw the field.

No not at all

It is you who are blatantly discounting all the players coach Weis recruited .

No question Shaw is doing a GREAT job at Stanford. And yes that is the main comparison to WHY ND can truly become elite with "smart" players....again.

IMO BK & staff have needed to focus on recruits that actually are RKG's. lynch's & Bryant's & others were not going to last 3 years at ND. But Zack Martin's & Theo's & Eifert's--yes! BK has lost a lot of recruits which has kept him in a constant rebuilding mode.

Then the choice of some coaches.....esp. DC.

GET BETTER ND!!!
After how many seasons as head coach, and coach Kelly needs to focus
I don't mean this to sound harsh you're a top notch poster 348

Reactions: BGI User 348

well if you get in the major bowl, it means you were in or close to playoff contention; we all (well posters who are not biased) know ND caught lightening in a bottle in 2012! The reality struck in the NC game.

A note here:
did you guys catch the erroneous tweet 'like' this week that Kelly explained away ?
It was a tweet calling for a new DC! Kelly 'liked' it.
Well interesting that Kelly admits he has staff monitoring the social media sites.
Do they do this 'continuously'?

I am surprised this was missed by the general forum population. Clearly Kelly's a control freak who will not leave anything to chance. I have been preaching Jmo, there is an obvious attempt to control discussion on this forum.

Well,now we know.

Last edited:

Haven't fellows figured the Rivals, Scouts, ESPN and any others are mostly BS. Saban said some years ago he thought all these services were ridiculous because anyone can spot the real obvious 5* guys but the service don't have a clue about the rest of them.

He went to say something like Coaches have to identify guys the will fit their system, their school and most importantly have a enough passion for the games interest and aptitude for their school and will behave on campus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT