ADVERTISEMENT

Hoping for a loss? NO❕

I just do not get a ND fan accepting less than, "play like a champion'
but apprently the bar has been set considerably lower than that.

When I think of Winning the NC, RGC, KIB's, 78, a few others, and of course ND35 come to mind.
We just wanted 1 last hurrah!

Hoping for a loss is wrong. hoping for a change in staff is not wrong. The only problem is in order for that change to happen is more losing.

Damn you Brian Kelly for putting us in an awkward position.

The result is going to happen no matter whether I cheer for a win or otherwise.

I get a minimum of 12 games every year, and a maximum of 14. They come few and far between - and way too few and far between for me to ever root for a loss.

Reactions: Bodizephax

I get a minimum of 12 games every year, and a maximum of 14. They come few and far between - and way too few and far between for me to ever root for a loss.

So will the coaching change, or no coaching change.

twalsh....you must have been the farmer in the American Revolution, that stayed iut of the frey;
'it's not my fight to fight'; but you will gladly accpet any benefits as result of the cause.

At this point sadly I'm rooting for a coaching change. As I said if that means losing...so be it. I'm not rooting for a loss, but rather a change. We all know the only way a change will happen is losing. Even then I'm not even sure if that's enough for a change. Expectations from the top at Notre Dame seem to be lowering.

We shall see.

P.s.
Part of me will be rooting for the service academies..especially Army. part of me always hates beating them and this year I will be perfectly OK one million percent losing to Army. ❕

When I think of Winning the NC, RGC, KIB's, 78, a few others, and of course ND35 come to mind.

I credit our AD ... Kevin White 2.0

twalsh....you must have been the farmer in the American Revolution, that stayed iut of the frey;
'it's not my fight to fight'; but you will gladly accpet any benefits as result of the cause.
I'm just generally not a complainer for things that do not affect my family or my livelihood. I'm not happy with the way things are going, but I'm not jumping out a window over it. I've lived through Faust and Willingham and survived intact. During the first Faust bad year I was a suicidal 23 year old, it was like the end of ND football as we knew it. Then it finally sunk in that it is worth worrying about, but not a lot. Don't let it impact the rest of your life, 99% of the population doesn't really give a $hit. Of course I was living in Massachusetts then, where 99% is probably accurate. It would be somewhat lower than 99% in Georgia.

Basically I do not believe for one nano-second that Swarbrick and/or Father Jenkins are not 100% invested in ND football or are somehow trying to de-emphasize ND football. I trust that they will make the right decision on a coaching change when a coaching change is deemed needed, and when they are confident that another better coaching alternative is available. As they did, or whoever did, in the case of BVG. If you follow the entire ND athletic program like I do, you'd know that Swarbrick has made almost nothing but right decisions in his tenure when it comes to coaches. If they make a change, they will have my 100% support. Until then I will keep following my alma mater's teams, rooting like hell, and going to as many games as is feasible.

At this point sadly I'm rooting for a coaching change. As I said if that means losing...so be it. I'm not rooting for a loss, but rather a change. We all know the only way a change will happen is losing. Even then I'm not even sure if that's enough for a change. Expectations from the top at Notre Dame seem to be lowering.

We shall see.

P.s.
Part of me will be rooting for the service academies..especially Army. part of me always hates beating them and this year I will be perfectly OK one million percent losing to Army. ❕

if there is 1 more loss then yep, Army would be the preferrable opponent.

"I just do not get a ND fan accepting less than Play Like A Champion". So, let me get this straight, you and the boys want ND to play like a champ and win every game but not this year or while BK is the coach. More losses and sooner the better and the heck with the players working hard to win now. It's only the message board crowd that matters.

"I just do not get a ND fan accepting less than Play Like A Champion". So, let me get this straight, you and the boys want ND to play like a champ and win every game but not this year or while BK is the coach. More losses and sooner the better and the heck with the players working hard to win now. It's only the message board crowd that matters.
I think in my opinion the fan want us to play like a champion. the problem is 7 years and most of those years we DID NOT play like a champion. it's pretty clear that even in the best of years brian Kelly will only reach a certain plateau. that is in fact the whole problem and the fan you accuse of not wanting us to win on the contrary very much wants us to be on the right track....which is NOT Brian Kelly

Reactions: Nocalirish
ND should never have fired Faust.
We'd be Vanderbilt, and we would have been Vanderbilt for the last 35 years. He was just overmatched. If he had gone to Akron first, got his feet under him, worked out the kinks, then came to ND, it might have been a different story.

if it cheers anybody up our 1# ranked wbb team plays there first game of the season Thursday. I know i'm excited because they could actually win the title this year with a totally loaded roster that has 9 former mcdonalds all-americans

The fan that "wants the team to play like a champion" is selective in his wishes. The team can play like a champion in a subtle way or they can play like a champion that wins games in a mediocre season. Did "the fan" say one single thing about the TD run by Josh? Did he say anything about the crunch time game winner by Justin? How about the defense? What about our QB diving into the pile to steal that fumble away?How about the fact that despite his fantasies, BK has not lost the team. Is there ever any credit or is "this fan" going to sing the same worn out tune over and over and over? We get it. He wants BK gone come hell or high water and its getting to the point that its more about his ego than the players and their effort.

Pers,
you got that right ! One more NC before we leve this " mortal Coil "!

Brian Kelly is not yet "toxic"...but the ingredients have all be poured into the pot....when the brew is done...he's done.

Hoping for a loss is wrong. hoping for a change in staff is not wrong. The only problem is in order for that change to happen is more losing.

Hey 88 I feel your pain. But you're right, we can't hope for a loss. Kelly isn't getting fired. So the scenerio is for the Irish to win out, win a bowl game and get ready for next year. Kelly won't be the coach forever. So while he may not be our choice, it's important that while he here,he wins. This year has been bad but I do think pieces are in place if they play well, to make a run next year. As long as the program is winning, it helps the long term prospects and helps find the next coach who may be able to get the program over the hump.

The angst that most of us feel is that this year was a viable 1 or zero loss season with the favorable schedule and the returning talent. Most of us were screaming for BVGs firing after last season, and Kelly BS'd us with his talk that BVG finally had the kind of player needed for his defense. Pile on the terrible defensive game plan and ourth qtr adjustments against Texas, the total ineptness against Duke, and the flurry of passes in the hurricane against NCS, and most of us have arrived at the decision that Kelly doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt and a change is in order. All that said, would love to win out, Kelly make a killer hire at DC and special teams, and turn the program around and compete as a top ten team annually. I for one think he will do much of this, but will consistently fall short of taking ND to the next level. Since he'll be the coach next year, want like hell to be wrong.

Trust me there is never going to be a maximum of 14 games being an ND fan.

It all boils down to you want your team to win which should be every Irish fan on this board. Do I wonder about Kelly yes but I'm not firing him unless I have a homerun hire and since that's not happening let's ride this out. I do think he gets this turned around one thing losing like this does it makes you humble. See the firing of BVG as an example. 8 win seasons make you think you're close as a program and a coach so bottoming out like this puts you on notice.

ND's football program is like an animal caught in a trap and it needs to chew off its leg(Kelly) to save the animal.

Reactions: 88ND
since our discontent is that ND is not winning enough, why would one then hope for a lose.
The discontent with Kelly is he cannot win enough at ND; if he wins, then the discontent goes away.
The question is, can he win? That is where opinion is divided.

Kelly isn't going anywhere unless this season tanks worse than it has and he follows that up with a 3 or 4 win season next year. I would never wish that on ND. My hope is that BK learns from his mistakes as many of us do. My hope is that we find the right fit for a DC who can recruit on defense like the Irish have on offense. If this happens, whether or not you are a fan of BK, you will enjoy Irish football. The other alternative isn't pretty.

I tried rooting against ND when they played Miami. Didn't take, I'll always root for ND. Even in a 3-9 season there are 3 good days.

After 7 seasons Kelly isnt learning anything and no decent DC is coming for a one and done. The only idiots that dont think Kelly is a lame duck is Jack and Kelly.

I tried rooting against ND when they played Miami. Didn't take, I'll always root for ND. Even in a 3-9 season there are 3 good days.

Let me understand you correctly. You wanted ND to lose to Miami. If I have misunderstood your comment, feel free to correct my error.

Let me understand you correctly. You wanted ND to lose to Miami. If I have misunderstood your comment, feel free to correct my error.
I tried the root against ND so they would lose the game and fire Kelly. But could not do it. No matter how bad the team or coach I can't help myself. I will always root for ND. It's in my blood no sense in fighting it.

BTW still hope Kelly can some how right the ship. But at best an 8-5 season this year he should have the program in better shape after 7 years

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT