ADVERTISEMENT

Great job Bvg and

Ever seen the Chris Rock bit about giving credit to people about shit they are supposed to do?

BVG will get some credit when his defense stiffles a team that isn't greatly overmatched. There isn;t a single player on that Nevada team that ND recruited. They play shit competion most of the year and aren't very good. I'm sorry, you don't get credit for playing solid defense and doing what you are supposed to do. Hold Stanford to 10 points and I'll give some kudos. Hold USC to 10 points and I'll give credit where it's due. This is Notre Dame.... When you've given up 60 points in 2 weeks (30 PPG) you get no credit. BVG is coaching for his job and rightfully so.

Have to agree - IIO, when did you become so angry? Your posts were always pretty factual and interesting.

That was factual and interesting. It was a solid win, but anyone who enjoyed the opening needs their head examined.

If you come out like that against a team that can fog a mirror you're in the hole 14+. Sound familiar?

We're lucky that Nevada was who we thought they'd be....

iio makes a good point, and you're not going to find another poster who would want to find positives more than him.

Nevada still produced 300 yards and at times, most notably in the 1st quarter, moved the ball with ease. Be prepared because Texas will not be the only game this year that this defense gets torched for 35 plus.

BVG lost a lot on D so there should be some slack given. Question is, how much?

Reactions: end_23
Ever seen the Chris Rock bit about giving credit to people about shit they are supposed to do?

BVG will get some credit when his defense stiffles a team that isn't greatly overmatched. There isn;t a single player on that Nevada team that ND recruited. They play shit competion most of the year and aren't very good. I'm sorry, you don't get credit for playing solid defense and doing what you are supposed to do. Hold Stanford to 10 points and I'll give some kudos. Hold USC to 10 points and I'll give credit where it's due. This is Notre Dame.... When you've given up 60 points in 2 weeks (30 PPG) you get no credit. BVG is coaching for his job and rightfully so.[/QUOTE
Say the guy who thought Maty Mark was going to be a great QB. Funny guy.

I was impressed with the younger line-up in this game. That said, there were still too many missed tackles/open receivers. The second team defense showed a lot of talent even if there was some broken assignments. This week's tape review will have solid teaching points for this young defense.

iio makes a good point, and you're not going to find another poster who would want to find positives more than him.

Nevada still produced 300 yards and at times, most notably in the 1st quarter, moved the ball with ease. Be prepared because Texas will not be the only game this year that this defense gets torched for 35 plus.

BVG lost a lot on D so there should be some slack given. Question is, how much?
Ah yes Maty Mauk the Irish Saviour![smile]
B.S.!

Oh god forbid somebody expresses some optimism and recognizes improvement.

The resident board Knute Rockne is not satisfied. Come to South Florida ayyy. I'll take you to the dry erase board and send you back to Canada in tears.

"We're lucky that Nevada was who we thought they'd be....
Cvgr

This jock sniffer thinks because he sits in mommy's basement yelling "We are ND!" He's on staff or the active roster. There's not a football locker room on earth that would contain C U Next Tuesday like you.

Last edited:

BVG will get some credit when his defense stiffles a team that isn't greatly overmatched. There isn;t a single player on that Nevada team that ND recruited. They play shit competion most of the year and aren't very good. I'm sorry, you don't get credit for playing solid defense and doing what you are supposed to do. Hold Stanford to 10 points and I'll give some kudos. Hold USC to 10 points and I'll give credit where it's due. This is Notre Dame.... When you've given up 60 points in 2 weeks (30 PPG) you get no credit. BVG is coaching for his job and rightfully so.

It was a great effort by the defense. How many defenses hold D1 teams to only 10 points in todays game. They tackled well today. Give them credit for today.

Clemson barely beat a lousy division 2 team today by 6 points and gave up 24 points.
Pennick was not saying this was an al time great defense he just gave them credit for today. Remember IIO you are just a highschool ball in Canada. You could not do any better than BVG who was receiving NFL paychecks so put a sock in it and give the team credit. Sorry but I am tired of all the sobbing all week by Irish fans and even after a win.

Reactions: Irish Grandeur
It was a great effort by the defense. How many defenses hold D1 teams to only 10 points in todays game. They tackled well today. Give them credit for today.

Clemson barely beat a lousy division 2 team today by 6 points and gave up 24 points.
Pennick was not saying this was an al time great defense he just gave them credit for today. Remember IIO you are just a highschool ball in Canada. You could not do any better than BVG who was receiving NFL paychecks so put a sock in it and give the team credit. Sorry but I am tired of all the sobbing all week by Irish fans and even after a win.

You are incoherent.

"Remember IIO you are just a highschool ball in Canada."

I was impressed with the younger line-up in this game. That said, there were still too many missed tackles/open receivers. The second team defense showed a lot of talent even if there was some broken assignments. This week's tape review will have solid teaching points for this young defense.

IG I think the Irish D. did a great job tackling today except on a few plays. The biggest difference between last week and this week. But you are right they could still improve on the tackling in the secondary--there were a few misses today. What I think the Irish D. needs to improve on most is the pass rush---it was a little better this week but far from where it needs to be.
Glad to see you posting again, my friend. You are level headed.

BVG had an epic fail last year with top-notch talent! We had the defensive talent to go all the way last year (or at least make the final four) and despite all the injuries on offense, we still put big numbers up against some good teams. I just don't understand his defense. When was the last time we got a sack on the QB? Nice play by JJ today. I hope we get it but this poster is skeptical...

Reactions: gavin1989
Not 100% convinced that I saw improvement on D ... given the opponent we played.

If we can hold down msu next week, then I'll give kudos.

BTW, I agree with iii's post.

Last edited:
IG I think the Irish D. did a great job tackling today except on a few plays. The biggest difference between last week and this week. But you are right they could still improve on the tackling in the secondary--there were a few misses today. What I think the Irish D. needs to improve on most is the pass rush---it was a little better this week but far from where it needs to be.
Yes, the pass rush is almost non-existent. The refs today went out of their way to over-turn a call where Cage got a sack and forced a fumble. If that was positive evidence in the replay then it was positive that he got the sack and forced the fumble. Not the case in the booth - they overturned the call on the field with no evidence and it made the difference of one yard. But, it took a sack and forced fumble away.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Not 100% convinced that I saw improvement on D ... given the opponent we played.

If we can hold down msg next week, then I'll give kudos.

BTW, I agree with iii's post.

So you agree that Pennik was wrong in giving credit today for bvg and the defense playing good today? It was 32 to 0 when they took most of the starters out and then won 39 to 10. Are you not satisfied because they did not pitch a shutout?
Georgia almost lost to Nichols state today winning 26 to 24. Do you think that Nichols state out recruits Georgia ? Clemson barely beat Troy today 30 to 24. Do you think Troy out recruits Clemson ? Sometimes inferior teams rise up and play top teams tough-- and sometimes win. And Notre Dame with their superior talent blew out Nevada and kept them to 10 measly points. The defense deserves credit for that especially the linebackers and Cole Luke..

And I think the Irish D is the ND weak spot and maybe they play like crap next week but they deserve credit for today. And for the record I think the Irish D will stop Michigan State next week.I

The refs didn't cause ND the game today but if anyone watches the UT vs VaTech game tonight you will see how the refs rained yellow on VaTech until UT got complete momentum. I cannot watch garbage like that any longer and refuse to watch CFB any longer.

The refs didn't cause ND the game today but if anyone watches the UT vs VaTech game tonight you will see how the refs rained yellow on VaTech until UT got complete momentum. I cannot watch garbage like that any longer and refuse to watch CFB any longer.

You have got to be kidding? College football is the most exciting sport going IMO. You are not watching ND anymore? Say it aint so IG !

The resident board Knute Rockne is not satisfied. Come to South Florida ayyy. I'll take you to the dry erase board and send you back to Canada in tears.

Cvgr

This jock sniffer thinks because he sits in mommy's basement yelling "We are ND!" He's on staff or the active roster. There's not a football locker room on earth that would contain C U Next Tuesday like you.

Florida,

Is that an invite down to your neck of the woods? Wouldn't mind getting schooled down there in the South.

So Notre Dame plays 60 minutes of largely base defense against a vastly inferior opponent and I'm not ready to anoint THIS defense as fixed after giving up 30ppg in a 1-1 start.

Lol... tough crowd today. When BVG's defense shows up against teams that can score, I'll be first in line to credit him, until then, I'll be conservative in my opinion.

C'mon IIO. The team, the staff----give them some credit. You can only play who is on your schedule. This week, it happened to be Nevada. We outplayed them and kicked their butts. I think we can do the same to MSU next week!!!! What are your thoughts??

C'mon IIO. The team, the staff----give them some credit. You can only play who is on your schedule. This week, it happened to be Nevada. We outplayed them and kicked their butts. I think we can do the same to MSU next week!!!! What are your thoughts??

Totally agree. MSU has a lot new starters on both sides of the ball and their scheme will allow ND to play their 4-3 base, where they can match up physically. The obvious hope is that ND can play cover 1 most of the day and have Tranquil fill as the 8th defender. I'd expect a good number of run blitzes and stunts from BVG. Can the defense be disciplined enough to defend the almost certain MSU gadget?.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Totally agree. MSU has a lot new starters on both sides of the ball and their scheme will allow ND to play their 4-3 base, where they can match up physically. The obvious hope is that ND can play cover 1 most of the day and have Tranquil fill as the 8th defender. I'd expect a good number of run blitzes and stunts from BVG. Can the defense be disciplined enough to defend the almost certain MSU gadget?.
Best analysis on the board, and it ain't close. Keep it comin!!!!!

Excellent post IIO
Get real people. Our D was average at best. If it was Texas maybe we hold them to 25-30 instead of 40 plus

I saw nothing that tells me we are a top team. Even our O is suspect. Where is the best line in the country?
Remember we played a poor team

I saw progress since last week but kudos to BVG. Joke

It's his job to keep or lose and he should be gone by now

Let's see what happens vs MSU. I expect a W by 10 points and continued improvement hopefully

Excellent post IIO
Get real people. Our D was average at best. If it was Texas maybe we hold them to 25-30 instead of 40 plus

I saw nothing that tells me we are a top team. Even our O is suspect. Where is the best line in the country?
Remember we played a poor team

I saw progress since last week but kudos to BVG. Joke

It's his job to keep or lose and he should be gone by now

Let's see what happens vs MSU. I expect a W by 10 points and continued improvement hopefully

Even are O is suspect ? Come on... It was 32 to nothing when we took Kizer and most of the starters out--- And the defense played a good game today. Can't you guys even aven enjoy a blowout win? What happened to you SkiBro?

Frankly, after last weeks performance, I don't take anything for granted with this defense or BVG. So yes, they deserve a shout out as per the OP for playing a good game. IIO posts are generally very informative and factual, and his post reacting to Pennick is factually correct, but couched in a level of negativity or just anger that we've not seen from him. Yes, they did what they were supposed to do, but this is an accomplishment given their history under BVG, and thus noteworthy. Now, if they perform as well against MSU, I expect IIO to step up and say so.

Reactions: greengael
The defensive line has to play better and bring consistent effort. They dont seem to be playing a with great deal of energy or urgency outside Rochelle who does all the time. Jay Hayes looked good and energetic at times. The linebackers have been solid, but big defensive lineman should keep offensive lineman from getting to the second level of the defense by getting penetration and forcing double teams. The DL has not done a good job of that at all. I hope the defensive backfield can improve once Watkins is able to get back on the field. Losing Crawford may be catastrophic for this team, cause that kid was a playmaker. The defense is going to have to step it up, cause there is no CJ Prosise or Wil Fuller on offense to bail you out any more.

Reading these posts, I'm going to have to assume that the vast majority have never strapped on a jock in their lives. This is why we get the fire everybody involved with the Athletic Department after game 1.

Enjoy the year, the progress, the 19 year Olds improving and seeing the field for the first time, it's college football. Drink some beer, grill some sausage and get off the god dam Internet.

dude you"re a ahole you think know it all IIO has been a figure on Notre dame boards for years he knows what he is talking about if you enjoy a defense that has more holes in its schemes than swiss cheese fu Brian has been nothing more than a disapointment the best coaches including Parcells and Belicheck switch there defenses for personnel and offensive schemes which BVG has been incapable of doing I love Notre dame football as much as anybody my father use tell me the three most important people where the pope the president and the head coach of ND I am a blue collar guy i am not the brightest person but i have eyes and see that this d is incapable of adjusting in three years give me bland bob Diaco over useless blitz master Brian Van Gorder its not whining it is being real the only way you improve as a person business or football team is admitting your errors and improving on your weaknesses

So you agree that Pennik was wrong in giving credit today for bvg and the defense playing good today? It was 32 to 0 when they took most of the starters out and then won 39 to 10. Are you not satisfied because they did not pitch a shutout?
Georgia almost lost to Nichols state today winning 26 to 24. Do you think that Nichols state out recruits Georgia ? Clemson barely beat Troy today 30 to 24. Do you think Troy out recruits Clemson ? Sometimes inferior teams rise up and play top teams tough-- and sometimes win. And Notre Dame with their superior talent blew out Nevada and kept them to 10 measly points. The defense deserves credit for that especially the linebackers and Cole Luke..

And I think the Irish D is the ND weak spot and maybe they play like crap next week but they deserve credit for today. And for the record I think the Irish D will stop Michigan State next week.I
Blah Blah gibberish Notre Dame won a game they should have Against a team that does not belong on same field Brian Kelly is a Outstanding Coach I am from Boston I am a Southie not smartest dude I am sick of excuses by board bullies like you I work in sales and when i dont close the sale or have bad week or month I have to explain to my bosses why i did not close the sale and if I do not close sales I will be out of work working in sales is adjusting on the fly mirroring the customer changing your personality to the customer in front of you constantly changing your approaches to improve which in three years I have not seen from bvg loyalty great sometimes it is your greatest strength but sometimes it is your down falll coach kelly needs to over haul the Defense and that means removing a guy he obviously is loyal to and respects and hire a outsider like Sanford on offense for the defense that will Challenge the thinking

Blah Blah gibberish Notre Dame won a game they should have Against a team that does not belong on same field Brian Kelly is a Outstanding Coach I am from Boston I am a Southie not smartest dude I am sick of excuses by board bullies like you I work in sales and when i do not close the sale or have bad week or month I have to explain to my bosses why i did not close the sale and if I do not close sales I will be out of work working in sales is adjusting on the fly mirroring the customer changing your personality to the customer in front of you constantly changing your approaches to improve which in three years I have not seen from bvg loyalty great sometimes it is your greatest strength but sometimes it is your down falll coach kelly needs to over haul the Defense and that means removing a guy he obviously is loyal to and respects and hire a outsider like Sanford on offense for the defense that will Challenge the thinking
Hey man your right I may not be book Smart but im blessed with street smarts i played football Btw that does not mean I know shit lol If I could rewind life I would smack myself around and study more but I am not ashamed for who I am some years I have made more than a lot doctors and lawyers from running my mouth lol money does not mean shit in life your friends and family do i know you love Notre Dame I have read your posts for years take off your blinders and realize that everything is fnot as great great as you think it is when it comes to the fooball programBrian kelly is the right man for the job Bvg is not

[/QUOTE]
You are right.
You are not the brightest person.. All Pennik was saying was the defense and BVG deserve some credit for the job they did TODAY. And if you can not see that they did not improve some today you are an idiot. So eat sh#t moron.

Blah Blah gibberish Notre Dame won a game they should have Against a team that does not belong on same field Brian Kelly is a Outstanding Coach I am from Boston I am a Southie not smartest dude I am sick of excuses by board bullies like you I work in sales and when i do not close the sale or have bad week or month I have to explain to my bosses why i did not close the sale and if I do not close sales I will be out of work working in sales is adjusting on the fly mirroring the customer changing your personality to the customer in front of you constantly changing your approaches to improve which in three years I have not seen from bvg loyalty great sometimes it is your greatest strength but sometimes it is your down falll coach kelly needs to over haul the Defense and that means removing a guy he obviously is loyal to and respects and hire a outsider like Sanford on offense for the defense that will Challenge the thinking
Hey man your right I may not be book Smart but im blessed with street smarts i played football Btw that does not mean I know shit lol If I could rewind life I would smack myself around and study more but I am not ashamed for who I am some years I have made more than a lot doctors and lawyers from running my mouth lol money does not mean shit in life your friends and family do i know you love Notre Dame I have read your posts for years take off your blinders and realize that everything is fnot as great great as you think it is when it comes to the fooball programBrian kelly is the right man for the job Bvg is not
[/QUOTE]
You write like you're from Southie!. The good Sisters taught you punctuation?

You have got to be kidding? College football is the most exciting sport going IMO. You are not watching ND anymore? Say it aint so IG !
Of course I will be watching ND (and CFB). Sometimes I get caught up in emotion and post things I shouldn't. I try to stay off the board on game days but that doesn't always work out for me...haha.

Haha...thanks. I realize I can be a hothead on occasion and I've really tried to keep myself in check the last few years. I appreciate your comment and will keep that in mind the next time I want to release steam on this board :)

Cvgr

The missing Teletubbie "Stinky" is so awesome that it took him one game to put this season on the brink.
chi-notre-dame-brian-kelly-academic-fraud-investigation-20140816

Telebubbies.jpg

Reactions: gavin1989
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT