ADVERTISEMENT

Early Thoughts On The 2019 Notre Dame Defense

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
Assuming Julian Love goes pro and everyone else returns for their senior season...

2 deep will look something like...

DROP: Julian Okwara (SR)
2. Daelin Hayes (SR)

DT: Myron Tagavailoa-Amosa (JR)
2. Jayson Ademilola (SOPH)

NG: Kurt Hinish (JR)
2. Ja'Mion Franklin (SOPH)

SDE: Khalid Kareem (SR)
2. Ade Ogundeji (SR)

BUCK: Jordan Genmark-Heath (JR)
2. Shayne Simon (SOPH)

MIKE: Jonathan Jones (SR)
2. Bo Bauer (SOPH)

ROVER: Asmar Bilal (5th)
2. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (JR) or Derrik Allen (SOPH)

CB: Troy Pride (SR)
2. Donte Vaughn (SR)

CB: Tariq Bracy (SOPH)
2. Noah Boykin (SOPH)

SS: Alohi Gilman (SR)
2. Houston Griffith (SOPH)

FS: Jalen Elliot (SR)
2. Kyle Hamilton (FR)

Initial impressions..

1. If all 4 pass rushers off the edge return for their senior seasons, Clark Lea is going to have some straight up dudes off the edge. Dare I say the best pass rushing defensive end group in the nation? Even if a Khalid Kareem or Julian Okwara were to go pro, returning three of those four guys for their senior season and adding one of Justin Ademilola, Kofi Wardlow or Nana-Osafo Mensah to the mix would still make it a formidable 4 man rotation. I'd like to see all 4 guys get together in the off season, make everything a competition and just dominate as seniors. It starts in the off season. Matt Balis has all 4 of the guys in great shape, but I still think there is another level for them physically. Okwara and Ogundeji in particular. They've got strength and weight to put on yet. There upside is just starting to be reached. Among the young defensive ends I'll be curious to see if Justin Ademilola outgrows the DROP and moves to SDE as I expect eventually will be the case. If that's the case, I'm curious to see if the ND staff will move Jack Lamb to drop and begin his development there because I think he has the perfect body and skill set for it.

2. Inside is a different story from defensive end. I think you'll see all four of those guys continue to improve. I think they'll have good off seasons and come back strong and ready to play major minutes. I don't think they'll be a liability inside, but they certainly won't have a Jerry Tillery type "creature" (courtesy of Pat Narduzzi) in the middle. I'd like to see Jayson Ademilola begin to emerge as a Sheldon Day type to provide as pass rush on the inside. Hinish and Tagavailoa-Amosa need to be huge in the run game. It's never good if your weak up the middle and given how green ND will be at both inside linebacker positions (regardless of who starts) ND needs their rotation at DT and NG to grow up really, really, fast. If they can't be excellent inside, it's highly unlikely those linebackers are going to hold up against the run the entire season. I don't want Alohi Gilman to have to spend his entire season in the box as an extra hat or ND is going to be stuck in a lot of cover 1 in play action. That's not a good place to be against some of the teams Notre Dame will play in 2020.

3. Linebacker is the most concerning position on the team in 2019. The two projected starters will simply have VERY little experience. Tranquil and Coney are playing at a very high level, but they take nearly 100% of the linebacker snaps. Clark Lea has his work cut out at Buck and Mike. He's their position coach and he's going to need some guys to take huge steps if he's going to get even 75% of the production out of next year's group as he is the current group. Love the depth at the position, however. Bauer is a stud and he'll play a lot. Same is true of Simon. Either of those guys could easily overtake the projected starter ahead of them. Rover should be solid again if Bilal is back and it would be nice to see Owusu-Koramoah get on the field with all his athleticism. The wildcard is Derrik Allen. That dude was born to play the Rover position. If he buys into it, works hard and reshapes his body in the off season, he'll be a monster.

4. Corner will be solid. There is no replacing Julian Love. He has arguably been the best corner in the nation for the past two years. That said, Troy Pride has a chance to step up in his draft year and earn himself some serious NFL money. I expect him to be a quality corner as the alpha in the group. Opposite him, Tariq Bracy should emerge as starter, a year stronger and more familiar with the nuances of the Irish scheme. Donte Vaughn will likely be the third corner and the senior has plenty of experience to provide quality depth. I also expect to see a jump out of Noah Boykin next season. He's too talented not to. I also think Bracy could be an elite nickel, so if Vaughn beats him out for the starting role, look for him to battle Griffith (and potentially Crawford depending on his status) for the ND role.

5. Outside of defensive end, I expect safety to be the strength of the defense. Jalen Elliot will be a 4 year starter (really rare in today's age) and if he keeps improving he's primed to be a steadying force on the back end of the defense as a senior. He's a wonderful communicator. Who would of thought he could be a potential future NFL'er even 18 months ago? Beside him Alohi Gilman will be a senior and as steady as ever. Wouldn't be shocked if both safeties are the defensive captains next year, or at least one of them along with a guy like Khalid Kareem. I'm really excited about the guys that will play behind them too. Houston Griffith has struggled at times this year, but you're literally watching him get better every week. Better technique. Better angles. Better compete level and most of all, more confidence. I expect a big jump for him next year both in the competition at nickel and in the snaps he gets at safety. Kyle Hamilton is my favorite player in the 2019 class. He is going to be a star. All the athleticism of a Max Redfield, without any of the idiocy and far better football instincts. 6'3, will be over 200lbs as a freshman and moves around the field like a guy who is 5'11, 185lbs. Can't wait to watch him compete.

Although I'm expecting the defense to return 6 starters and a number of key backups, the 5 players they are losing, Tillery, Bonner, Tranquil, Coney and Love, are the heart of their defense, especially against the run. Bonner aside, the other 4 players are near irreplaceable over the course of one year. For that reason alone, I expect the defense to take a small step back, but still still be good enough to win quite a few games if the offense continues to improve with Ian Book at the helm as it should. With a top 35 defense next year I think ND can win 10 games.

Allen was one of our prized recruits. Is there just that much talent and competition now that he can’t see the field?

Last edited:
Allen was one of our prized recruits. Is there just that much talent and completion now that he can’t see the field?

Allen is a good football player, but right now he's at safety and ND likes what they have there with Elliot and Gilman. Allen also didn't' come in the kind of shape you might have hoped. he's a THICK kid. 6'2, 212lbs. One of those thick boned kids. He has to make a decision this off season. Does he want to play safety? If so he needs to get down to about 195lbs through diet and commitment in the weight room, then build back to about 205lbs by next season... Regardless, in my opinion, he literally is the mould that you'd create in a lab in terms of body for a rover. With his frame he could be 225lbs before you could blink. He'd be a plus athlete at rover and really get to use his best skill, his physicality, to his advantage. If he wants to play safety he has to fight (and win) the battle with genetics. If he wants to let his body develop naturally, allow Balis to do what he does and commits himself to getting into the best shape of his life, you could see terminator running around out there at rover....

I still contend that my dream Notre Dame linebacker / safety core a couple years from now looks like....

BUCK: Shayne Simon (SR)- 6'3, 240lbs
MIKE: Bo Bauer (SR)- 6'3, 240lbs
ROVER: Derrik Allen (SR)- 6'2, 230lbs
SS: Houston Griffith (SR)- 6'0, 210lbs
FS: Kyle Hamilton (JR)- 6'3, 215lbs

That folks, is what an elite group of backers and safeties look like, not even mentioning guys like Osita Ekwonu, Litchfield Ajavon, Jack Lamb, etc, etc...

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Allen is a good football player, but right now he's at safety and ND likes what they have there with Elliot and Gilman. Allen also didn't' come in the kind of shape you might have hoped. he's a THICK kid. 6'2, 212lbs. One of those thick boned kids. He has to make a decision this off season. Does he want to play safety? If so he needs to get down to about 195lbs through diet and commitment in the weight room, then build back to about 205lbs by next season... Regardless, in my opinion, he literally is the mould that you'd create in a lab in terms of body for a rover. With his frame he could be 225lbs before you could blink. He'd be a plus athlete at rover and really get to use his best skill, his physicality, to his advantage. If he wants to play safety he has to fight (and win) the battle with genetics. If he wants to let his body develop naturally, allow Balis to do what he does and commits himself to getting into the best shape of his life, you could see terminator running around out there at rover....

I still contend that my dream Notre Dame linebacker / safety core a couple years from now looks like....

That folks, is what an elite group of backers and safeties look like, not even mentioning guys like Osita Ekwonu, Litchfield Ajavon, Jack Lamb, etc, etc...
Lamb should play drop end.

I think Allen will agree to go to Rover eventually. Just like HG’s willingness to play wherever he is needed.

Assuming Julian Love goes pro and everyone else returns for their senior season...

2 deep will look something like...

DROP: Julian Okwara (SR)
2. Daelin Hayes (SR)

DT: Myron Tagavailoa-Amosa (JR)
2. Jayson Ademilola (SOPH)

NG: Kurt Hinish (JR)
2. Ja'Mion Franklin (SOPH)

SDE: Khalid Kareem (SR)
2. Ade Ogundeji (SR)

BUCK: Jordan Genmark-Heath (JR)
2. Shayne Simon (SOPH)

MIKE: Jonathan Jones (SR)
2. Bo Bauer (SOPH)

ROVER: Asmar Bilal (5th)
2. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (JR) or Derrik Allen (SOPH)

CB: Troy Pride (SR)
2. Donte Vaughn (SR)

CB: Tariq Bracy (SOPH)
2. Noah Boykin (SOPH)

SS: Alohi Gilman (SR)
2. Houston Griffith (SOPH)

FS: Jalen Elliot (SR)
2. Kyle Hamilton (FR)

Initial impressions..

1. If all 4 pass rushers off the edge return for their senior seasons, Clark Lea is going to have some straight up dudes off the edge. Dare I say the best pass rushing defensive end group in the nation? Even if a Khalid Kareem or Julian Okwara were to go pro, returning three of those four guys for their senior season and adding one of Justin Ademilola, Kofi Wardlow or Nana-Osafo Mensah to the mix would still make it a formidable 4 man rotation. I'd like to see all 4 guys get together in the off season, make everything a competition and just dominate as seniors. It starts in the off season. Matt Balis has all 4 of the guys in great shape, but I still think there is another level for them physically. Okwara and Ogundeji in particular. They've got strength and weight to put on yet. There upside is just starting to be reached. Among the young defensive ends I'll be curious to see if Justin Ademilola outgrows the DROP and moves to SDE as I expect eventually will be the case. If that's the case, I'm curious to see if the ND staff will move Jack Lamb to drop and begin his development there because I think he has the perfect body and skill set for it.

2. Inside is a different story from defensive end. I think you'll see all four of those guys continue to improve. I think they'll have good off seasons and come back strong and ready to play major minutes. I don't think they'll be a liability inside, but they certainly won't have a Jerry Tillery type "creature" (courtesy of Pat Narduzzi) in the middle. I'd like to see Jayson Ademilola begin to emerge as a Sheldon Day type to provide as pass rush on the inside. Hinish and Tagavailoa-Amosa need to be huge in the run game. It's never good if your weak up the middle and given how green ND will be at both inside linebacker positions (regardless of who starts) ND needs their rotation at DT and NG to grow up really, really, fast. If they can't be excellent inside, it's highly unlikely those linebackers are going to hold up against the run the entire season. I don't want Alohi Gilman to have to spend his entire season in the box as an extra hat or ND is going to be stuck in a lot of cover 1 in play action. That's not a good place to be against some of the teams Notre Dame will play in 2020.

3. Linebacker is the most concerning position on the team in 2019. The two projected starters will simply have VERY little experience. Tranquil and Coney are playing at a very high level, but they take nearly 100% of the linebacker snaps. Clark Lea has his work cut out at Buck and Mike. He's their position coach and he's going to need some guys to take huge steps if he's going to get even 75% of the production out of next year's group as he is the current group. Love the depth at the position, however. Bauer is a stud and he'll play a lot. Same is true of Simon. Either of those guys could easily overtake the projected starter ahead of them. Rover should be solid again if Bilal is back and it would be nice to see Owusu-Koramoah get on the field with all his athleticism. The wildcard is Derrik Allen. That dude was born to play the Rover position. If he buys into it, works hard and reshapes his body in the off season, he'll be a monster.

4. Corner will be solid. There is no replacing Julian Love. He has arguably been the best corner in the nation for the past two years. That said, Troy Pride has a chance to step up in his draft year and earn himself some serious NFL money. I expect him to be a quality corner as the alpha in the group. Opposite him, Tariq Bracy should emerge as starter, a year stronger and more familiar with the nuances of the Irish scheme. Donte Vaughn will likely be the third corner and the senior has plenty of experience to provide quality depth. I also expect to see a jump out of Noah Boykin next season. He's too talented not to. I also think Bracy could be an elite nickel, so if Vaughn beats him out for the starting role, look for him to battle Griffith (and potentially Crawford depending on his status) for the ND role.

5. Outside of defensive end, I expect safety to be the strength of the defense. Jalen Elliot will be a 4 year starter (really rare in today's age) and if he keeps improving he's primed to be a steadying force on the back end of the defense as a senior. He's a wonderful communicator. Who would of thought he could be a potential future NFL'er even 18 months ago? Beside him Alohi Gilman will be a senior and as steady as ever. Wouldn't be shocked if both safeties are the defensive captains next year, or at least one of them along with a guy like Khalid Kareem. I'm really excited about the guys that will play behind them too. Houston Griffith has struggled at times this year, but you're literally watching him get better every week. Better technique. Better angles. Better compete level and most of all, more confidence. I expect a big jump for him next year both in the competition at nickel and in the snaps he gets at safety. Kyle Hamilton is my favorite player in the 2019 class. He is going to be a star. All the athleticism of a Max Redfield, without any of the idiocy and far better football instincts. 6'3, will be over 200lbs as a freshman and moves around the field like a guy who is 5'11, 185lbs. Can't wait to watch him compete.

Although I'm expecting the defense to return 6 starters and a number of key backups, the 5 players they are losing, Tillery, Bonner, Tranquil, Coney and Love, are the heart of their defense, especially against the run. Bonner aside, the other 4 players are near irreplaceable over the course of one year. For that reason alone, I expect the defense to take a small step back, but still still be good enough to win quite a few games if the offense continues to improve with Ian Book at the helm as it should. With a top 35 defense next year I think ND can win 10 games.

I think it’s VERY far from a lock that Julian Love declare early for the NFL.

Currently, I’m expecting him to return for his senior year and to be a team captain.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I think Allen will agree to go to Rover eventually. Just like HG’s willingness to play wherever he is needed.

I do too. At least I hope he will. I think he'll be a star there. I can't state that strongly enough. 3 years from now I think he could be an All American. He goes from an average cover guy at safety to a high end cover guy at rover and the dude LOVES to hit.

I think it’s VERY far from a lock that Julian Love declare early for the NFL.

Currently, I’m expecting him to return for his senior year and to be a team captain.

I think that would be a mistake. He has nothing gain from doing that. He's a 1st round pick if he comes out this year. 32 pass breakups over 20 games with a couple pick sixes, combined with the way he tackles in space, equals 1st round NFL draft money. The only thing coming back can do for him is get him hurt, cause him to lose out on a fortune in guaranteed money and drop him down in the draft. He's not an "upside" guy. He's not going to get much better than he already is at the college level. He can get his degree whenever he wants...

The kid should absolutely take the guaranteed money and set his family up for the rest of his life. At his position, a knee injury or an achiles injury could end or change your entire career...

Make millions while you can kid! Being a captain at Notre Dame is nice... Signing a contract worth 10+ million dollars at 21 years old will change your life and the lives of your family.

I think that would be a mistake. He has nothing gain from doing that. He's a 1st round pick if he comes out this year. 32 pass breakups over 20 games with a couple pick sixes, combined with the way he tackles in space, equals 1st round NFL draft money. The only thing coming back can do for him is get him hurt, cause him to lose out on a fortune in guaranteed money and drop him down in the draft. He's not an "upside" guy. He's not going to get much better than he already is at the college level. He can get his degree whenever he wants...

The kid should absolutely take the guaranteed money and set his family up for the rest of his life. At his position, a knee injury or an achiles injury could end or change your entire career...

Make millions while you can kid!

We’ll see.
I don’t see a 1st Round Pick for him right now.

Measureables will hurt him
And I think he’ll get knocked pretty hard for his tendency to engage WRs while running down the field, often unnecessarily.

Further, for a CB if his height, I think he’ll get know for failing to high point the football of fades to taller WRs.

Ultimately, I’m not sure if it’s better for him to stay or go. He needs to improve those areas to have any shot at the 1st Round, imo, given his measureables. But he’s probably a 2nd/3rd Round guy already.

That being said, from what I’ve heard about him, I’m currently expecting him back to be a captain of the 2019 team.

This is a kick ass thread. Thanks to all who've contributed.

Can't wait for the O version.

Thinking about the DT and LB positions make me nervous. MTA going down really hurt, as he lost valuable experience to prepare him for a full time role. Hinish I trust will give you all he's got, but I don't know he will hold up against the likes of UGA, Michigan, Stanford. Ademiola I'm excited for and think he'll be very good, but will still only be a sophomore. The road to becoming a consistent every down player as a lineman is a lengthy one(see Jerry Tillery). Same concern with Franklin, but feel his future is bright.

As for LB, if Allen can emerge as a rover and JOK can play backup, then I wonder if the staff will consider moving Bilal to Buck just like they did with Tranquil. Genmark-Heath is a wild card to me, as he is still transitioning to LB. Jones is probably just too small and not enough athleticism/explosiveness/instincts to make up for it. What bothers me is that if Genmark-Heath and Jones are not in the rotation now, what makes anybody think they're prepared to be starters next year? Bauer and Simon are clearly the future, so even if they're not ready for a full time role, Lea just may have to bite the bullet and start them.

No reason to think Love will come back and nor should he. Nothing more to prove and he's reached his peak as a CFB player. Lyght has recruited well that I think they'll be okay. If Gfriffith doesn't over take neither Elliott or Gilman, then I'm curious of they would move Griffith to corner. I feel he's too talented to be a guy only in rotation. Needs to mature and put together his game from a fundamental standpoint, but once he does, he should be very good.

Lastly, big question I have is who plays the nickel? Griffith? Bracy? Crawford? Will he return? I know he's had two major injuries, but nowadays it's not impossible to bounce back from that(see Tranquil).

We’ll see.
I don’t see a 1st Round Pick for him right now.

Measureables will hurt him
And I think he’ll get knocked pretty hard for his tendency to engage WRs while running down the field, often unnecessarily.

Further, for a CB if his height, I think he’ll get know for failing to high point the football of fades to taller WRs.

Ultimately, I’m not sure if it’s better for him to stay or go. He needs to improve those areas to have any shot at the 1st Round, imo, given his measureables. But he’s probably a 2nd/3rd Round guy already.

That being said, from what I’ve heard about him, I’m currently expecting him back to be a captain of the 2019 team.
I agree with Friedman

I think Love is a great college corner but it will struggle to translate at the next level. IMO love is going to get crushed at the combine from a numbers standpoint. He is not overly athletic. Tough, strong, instinctive, but lacks the numbers to be a first round pick. You typically see players that do worse in college get drafted earlier when they crush the combine. Example Denzel Ward.

That doesn't mean Love can't have a good/great nfl career, I just think he will need to find a good fit, and I don't see that being first round.

Now, does that mean he comes back, I hope so for the degree and to be captain.

Reactions: FriedmanIP
i think with another year with Balis under his belt Okwara if healthy will be one of the 5 best defensive players in the country next year and a top ten draft pick.
If he can gain and hold 10 lbs on his frame next year and still have his athleticism/motor I agree. I don't see the NFL taking him top 10 at 235-240lbs. Vic Beasley is the model for Okwara but Beasley had 30 sacks in college, ran a 4.5 at the combine, benched 225 35 times at 246 lbs. That will be extremely tough to match, but okwara can get close and be in the top 10 discussion. Beasley was drafted 8th.

Haven’t been reading anything about Simon’s development, but thought he was recruited as the perfect fit at Rover. Has he already outgrown the position, or did he get moved inside to help meet a greater need?

I agree with Friedman

I think Love is a great college corner but it will struggle to translate at the next level. IMO love is going to get crushed at the combine from a numbers standpoint. He is not overly athletic. Tough, strong, instinctive, but lacks the numbers to be a first round pick. You typically see players that do worse in college get drafted earlier when they crush the combine. Example Denzel Ward.

That doesn't mean Love can't have a good/great nfl career, I just think he will need to find a good fit, and I don't see that being first round.

Could not disagree more. he'll run just fine. if healthy a lock for the first round. no DB in college football has performed better this year.

I agree with Friedman

plenty of guys in the NFL making big money that would kill for Julian Loves ball skills. he has elite level ball skills.

Make millions while you can kid! Being a captain at Notre Dame is nice... Signing a contract worth 10+ million dollars at 21 years old will change your life and the lives of your family.
exactly right. he's ready right now. plenty of guys playing corner in the NFL now that would love to have his ball skills.

I agree with Friedman

Pretty sure people thought that about Blanton... who didnt have near the college career Love is having... but Blanton went on to a good pro career.

Could not disagree more. he'll run just fine. if healthy a lock for the first round. no DB in college football has performed better this year.
What does that have to do with a first round draft pick? First round is all about measurable's and potential. I think he'll run "fine" but I don't see sub 4.5, i don't see a good vert, so that is going to hurt his explosive measurable.

Edit- One corner went with the 30th pick ran a 4.53 at the combine. If Love can run something near 4.5 he has a chance to slide into the 1st round, but I don't think he's going to be a lock. I think he'll be around 4.55 and teams will hesitate for that to be their first pick unless it's the absolute right fit.

The other two corners drafted in the 1st round ran sub 4.4s

Last edited:
Haven’t been reading anything about Simon’s development, but thought he was recruited as the perfect fit at Rover. Has he already outgrown the position, or did he get moved inside to help meet a greater need?
Simon is cross training at both buck and rover, i believe with the intention of him replacing Drue. I think the initial thought was he may need to come in and take over for Bilal, but Bilal has shown enough for the coaches to stick with him. I personally think at times Bilal has still been really bad, but he has shown ability when he knows what he's doing. Right now Shayne is an inch taller and only 10lbs lighter than Drue. He'll have no problem being 235-240lbs for Buck.

Reactions: IrishMike409

Simon has been playing.
He was in on the goal line stand against VT & was the one who tackled the QB on 3rd down.
After the game Kelly said Simon’s versatility has forced his way onto the field.

exactly right. he's ready right now. plenty of guys playing corner in the NFL now that would love to have his ball skills.
Agree, but so did richard sherman in college but he ran a 4.56 and drafted 5th round. Julian won't fall that far obviously, but I think speed plays a big part with CBs.

Pretty sure people thought that about Blanton... who didnt have near the college career Love is having... but Blanton went on to a good pro career.
At safety, not corner. Different animal, and he was drafted 5th round. I think Love will be 2nd round with a chance at sneaking in the late first round.

Last edited:

Blanton is a fair comparison, stylistically.

But his measureables really hurt him. If I recall correctly, he went in the 6th Round and ultimately played safety in the league.

I think an even better comparison would be a recent Iowa DB, Desmond King. He dominated in CFB, put up crazy stats, but ultimately was hurt by his measureables. He was a 2nd Round Pick who has moved primarily to safety and NB in the NFL.

Reactions: nemeth#5

But his measureables really hurt him. If I recall correctly, he went in the 6th Round and ultimately played safety in the league.

I think an even better comparison would be a recent Iowa DB, Desmond King. He dominated in CFB, put up crazy stats, but ultimately was hurt by his measureables. He was a 2nd Round Pick who has moved primarily to safety and NB in the NFL.

I think Love will test better than you're giving him credit for... That said, even if he's a 2nd round pick, another year at Notre Dame is not going to increase what you perceive to be a lack of athleticism, so even those several million dollars of guaranteed 2nd round money are the right choice over risking an injury as a senior (without a 5th year option) and getting injured which would be devestating to Julian's draft status.

Love's name is as hot as it's going to get relarive to draft status.

Reactions: Kelso86

Desmond King was drafted in the 5th round, but he's getting good burn for the Chargers and doing well.

I think Love will test better than you're giving him credit for... That said, even if he's a 2nd round pick, another year at Notre Dame is not going to increase what you perceive to be a lack of athleticism, so even those several million dollars of guaranteed 2nd round money are the right choice over risking an injury as a senior (without a 5th year option) and getting injured which would be devestating to Julian's draft status.

Love's name is as hot as it's going to get relarive to draft status.
Sure but a player like Desmond King went back for his sr year at iowa after having 8 interceptions in one year. Desmond king got a 2-3rd grade and went in the 5th. Julian Love will have smart enough people around him, if he can put up a good 40 then he should go, if it's questionable, then he has a tough decision IMO. If he gets drafted on the wrong team for his skill set, his career could be short.

Sure but a player like Desmond King went back for his sr year at iowa after having 8 interceptions in one year. Desmond king got a 2-3rd grade and went in the 5th. Julian Love will have smart enough people around him, if he can put up a good 40 then he should go, if it's questionable, then he has a tough decision IMO. If he gets drafted on the wrong team for his skill set, his career could be short.

These guys can get their degree whenever they want. He'll be less than a full year from graduating. Those thinking Love is going to run 4.6 and be unimpressive at the combine are going to be extremely surprised. Dude is strong and Balis will have him shreded at the combine. He'll run fast and be impressive on lifts.

Reactions: Kelso86
These guys can get their degree whenever they want. He'll be less than a full year from graduating. Those thinking Love is going to run 4.6 and be unimpressive at the combine are going to be extremely surprised. Dude is strong and Balis will have him shreded at the combine. He'll run fast and be impressive on lifts.
I really like Love as a corner, but his weakness is his lack of make up speed. It was shown vs pitt on his PI call, he couldn't catch up to the WR. I hope you are right for his sake, and I agree on the strength part, ball skills, etc. I just don't see anywhere close to elite speed/quickness.

Thanks guys, really nice to have at thoughtful thread about football again. Kelly, Lea and the others have created real continuity in the defense. Coney and Tranquil coming back was HUGE for this team. They set a solid example for the younger guys and that is the why ND is going to make the final four from time to time -- as they have in the past, keeping their players on the team for that 4th (and in some cases) 5th years. Losing half the starting d in past years would have seemed like the end of the world in past years -- this year not so much.

Was in specifically for option. Don't count on him being a mainstay in the defense week to week.

I’d imagine he’s 4th agaisnt a more traditional offense, behind:
Tranquil
JHG
Simon

Plus I bet Jones would move to Buck before White plays agasint a standard opponent

Agreed. Bauer might even.

And that's not to say something bad about White.

He's not physically ready nor athletic enough (yet) to be a starting LB on a major CFB team. It is what it is.

But he's a heady and instinctual player who was more ready than I expected, when he was asked to fill a specific role.
Kudos to him for stepping up and helping ND get a key win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT