ADVERTISEMENT

Rylie Mills

Dec 7, 2007
I saw a photo of Rylie Mills posted on Twitter (or whatever it is called these days) and he looks like an absolute monster. He is 6'5" and is now up to 306 lbs., and most of the weight he has put on looks like solid muscle. The story said he has spent a lot of time with a nutritionist, learning about what he puts into his body and making sure he is putting on good weight. Based upon the photos, mission accomplished. He will play DT this year, so he needed to bulk up a little bit. It will be exciting to see what kind of year he has. He is a "big muchacho," as Charlie Weis was fond of saying. If Rylie can solidify play in the middle of the D-line and Jordan Botelho can do likewise on the edge, the defense may be in for a great season.

Last edited:
I saw a photo of Rylie Mills posted on Twitter (or whatever it is called these days) and he looks like an absolute monster. He is 6'5" and is now up to 306 lbs., and most of the weight he has put on looks like solid muscle. The story said he has spent a lot of time with a nutritionist, learning about what he puts into his body and making sure he is putting on good weight. Based upon the photos, mission accomplished. He will play DT this year, so he needed to bulk up a little bit. It will be exciting to see what kind of year he has. He is a "big muchacho," as Charlie Weis was fond of saying. If Rylie can solidify play in the middle of the D-line and Jordan Botelho can do likewise on the edge, the defense may be in for a great season.
Weis was certainly an expert on girth!

Seems like his best position has been a question every year, except this year. His moves back and forth between SDE and Tackle have hurt His production imo, and I love the fact his off-season has been dictated by the decision that he will play Strictly on the inside this year.

Reactions: Zibby999
Seems like his best position has been a question every year, except this year. His moves back and forth between SDE and Tackle have hurt His production imo, and I love the fact his off-season has been dictated by the decision that he will play Strictly on the inside this year.

Playing interior D-line will require a different mindset. Often his job will be to do the dirty work so others can get the glory. He will see a lot of double teams, I think, but if he can occupy two (or more) guys on running plays, the LBs should be able to clean up the mess. On passing downs I would love to see him be able to collapse (or at least pressure) the pocket. With his added size and strength, we just may see that.

Playing interior D-line will require a different mindset. Often his job will be to do the dirty work so others can get the glory. He will see a lot of double teams, I think, but if he can occupy two (or more) guys on running plays, the LBs should be able to clean up the mess. On passing downs I would love to see him be able to collapse (or at least pressure) the pocket. With his added size and strength, we just may see that.
Agree. We need an interior dl that requires double teaming, and he has the size, strength and quickness that demands this. Sounds like he has totally bought into this.

Reactions: echowaker
Good to hear. Front seven is our biggest question mark, if we can get d line play reminiscent of 3-4 years ago and our backers are at least steady then our defense goes from slightly above average to upper echelon.

Today Aug. 5th practice Mills took Blake Fisher and tossed him to the ground like a rag doll. Mills is either a super bad ass or Fisher is not ready for prime time.

Agree. We need an interior dl that requires double teaming, and he has the size, strength and quickness that demands this. Sounds like he has totally bought into this.
Exactly. He needs to make himself unblockable by one man.

Reactions: bcnd
I want to see RM do this in games!!! He was supposed to last year! He underwhelmed!!! Super talented young man! May he put it all together this year!!!

There has been some concern voiced if Fisher .at have gotten too light. We will know by late September
Clearly a leverage toss, Blake was out of position and easy to toss a dude when you’re that strong and you catch him right. I hope Rylie performs half as well as BF did his Fresh/Soph years. RM makes noise every camp, time to make plays

Reactions: bcnd and 1Redrum
In today's issue of The Athletic, Bruce Feldman published his annual CFB "Freaks" list. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the annual list, Feldman gives a list of 10 CFB players who have freakish athleticism. Doesn't necessarily mean they are the best players, but something about their athleticism catches the eye.

Rylie Mills checked in at #10 this year. Here is Rylie's write up:

"The 6-5, 306-pound senior has the tools to be a disruptive force in 2023. Last year, Mills made 24 tackles, six TFLs and 3.5 sacks. He looks primed to take things up a notch based on his off-field work after packing on 14 more pounds. Mills benched 450 pounds, did 225 for 30 reps, squatted 635, but he’s also hit 20.64 MPH on the GPS (up from 19 MPH last year), vertical-jumped almost 33 inches and did 31 pull-ups."

I knew Rylie was strong, but those are some crazy lifting numbers.

No. 1 on the list, in case you are interested, is Nyckoles Harbor, a freshman WR from South Carolina. Harbor is 6'5" tall and weighs 243 lbs., and ran a 10.22 100M time in HS. He has hit 22.9 mph on the GPS during practice this summer with the Gamecocks. Sounds like he could be a match-up nightmare if he has any hands.

In today's issue of The Athletic, Bruce Feldman published his annual CFB "Freaks" list. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the annual list, Feldman gives a list of 10 CFB players who have freakish athleticism. Doesn't necessarily mean they are the best players, but something about their athleticism catches the eye.

Rylie Mills checked in at #10 this year. Here is Rylie's write up:

"The 6-5, 306-pound senior has the tools to be a disruptive force in 2023. Last year, Mills made 24 tackles, six TFLs and 3.5 sacks. He looks primed to take things up a notch based on his off-field work after packing on 14 more pounds. Mills benched 450 pounds, did 225 for 30 reps, squatted 635, but he’s also hit 20.64 MPH on the GPS (up from 19 MPH last year), vertical-jumped almost 33 inches and did 31 pull-ups."

I knew Rylie was strong, but those are some crazy lifting numbers.

No. 1 on the list, in case you are interested, is Nyckoles Harbor, a freshman WR from South Carolina. Harbor is 6'5" tall and weighs 243 lbs., and ran a 10.22 100M time in HS. He has hit 22.9 mph on the GPS during practice this summer with the Gamecocks. Sounds like he could be a match-up nightmare if he has any hands.
Could Rylie Mills end up similar to Lukas Van Ness?

Could Rylie Mills end up similar to Lukas Van Ness?

That seems possible to me. Van Ness ran a 4.58 40 at the NFL Combine, and it is hard to see Rylie duplicating that, but Rylie has a better vertical jump (33 vs. 31 inches) and he is considerably stronger than Van Ness (30 reps of 225 vs. 17 reps for Van Ness). Rylie is freakishly strong and his other measurables are pretty impressive, and we all know that having good measurables will go a long way in making you a high NFL draft pick. Van Ness went in Round 1 of the NFL draft (to the Packers with the 13th pick); hard to see Rylie going that high in the draft, but if he has a good season I can see him going in the first 3 rounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishMike409
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT