ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Pyne to The Portal

Tyler Buchner will obviously compete with a transfer portal QB in the Spring for the starting job. If Buchner loses the starting job could he transfer as well?

We’re all putting out educated guesses at this point. Myself as well. The fact is ND is actively looking at a transfer QB, and this is widely known. They also recently secured a commit from Minchey, a QB with good enough skills to compete for starting as a freshman. If I’m Pyne, I look at the anticipated QB for 23, and realistically see myself as the #2, or more likely #3. I think it makes all the sense in the world for him to transfer and enroll early so he can participate in their Spring practices. I like to think that Rees had a candid conversation with him regarding our looking at a transfer QB, but he could have arrived at his decision absent this.
Yea he did, It's your f-ing job was the conversation. That's piss poor coaching, Reese needed his reamed for that on national TV too.

Tyler Buchner will obviously compete with a transfer portal QB in the Spring for the starting job. If Buchner loses the starting job could he transfer as well?
Not if it's a one and done. But you may see him go bye bye in December of 23.

Last edited:
Exactly. No offense to Buchner but he’s just not a D1 QB. Without Pyne stepping in ND would’ve gone 4-8. Smart move by Pyne. This staff wanted nothing to do with him and they somehow think Buchner is better. Rough season coming for ND in ‘23.
Buchner was disappointing the first 2 games but I think ultimately we would have been better with him starting. Glad we get to see some of him in the bowl game.

Best of luck to Drew, he played hard and won games at ND

Reactions: HarlemIrish
You saw 2+ games , of which they lost one so you can make that decision that he’s that special.yeah Buchner played 1+game against Ohio St away in front of 105,000 + fans . And after not playing since his junior year in HS.
once again another ridiculous statement with no data to substantiate .
Don’t care what you think… TB has not impressed and is injury prone. I’d take card any day. You don’t like it?? Don’t care. My opinion and it won’t change

Don’t care what you think… TB has not impressed and is injury prone. I’d take card any day. You don’t like it?? Don’t care. My opinion and it won’t change
LMAO. He started one game at Ohio St., then another at home against Marshall, where the OL was freaking awful. And your conclusion is ..."TB has not impressed..."

Got it.

Exactly. If you don't make the playoff the rest are consolation games. With the playoff expansion the remainder of the bowls will become even more irrelevant. Funny how some marketing person at ABC/ESPN can put a catchy name on a bunch of non playoff bowl games and somehow those games now have some artificial significance with some folks. As if any legitimate program sets a " NY6" bowl game as their goal for the season.
True, but sad nonetheless. I remember when New Year's bowls were a big deal, NC or no NC on the line.

Yeah… you have no knowledge about him. That he was offered by Alabama , LSU . Georgia , Florida. , Michigan , Ohio St .
He fininished TY in top 20 of all QBs nationally . After not playing in basically 3 years !
Wow. Just terrible arguments here. One I’ve seen him play in person numerous times.

Teams make mistakes in scouting. Happens all the time. Just because a bunch of teams offered him, doesn’t mean they scouted him correctly. The timing of those offers also matters.

No serious football mind thinks he’s a top 20 QB nationally. That’s insane. He will likely never be drafted.

Reactions: Chitown11
Not what I'm seeing

You just want it to fit your narrative

Weak
What’s my narrative, that we went 8-4 and the coaches did a terrible job with the qb room?

That’s not my narrative, it’s what actually happened.

Reactions: Chitown11
If Buchner is full go and qb for bowl game this is a huge one for him. If he plays poorly you’d have to think minimal chance he is starter if we land someone good from portal.

Good for him. Seems like a great kid. He sees the writing on the wall.
I’m told by folks at ND that he is a great kid.
Too often we forget that these kids are just getting past their teen years.
Good luck to him.

Reactions: GDFan
Rees better have something money lined up bc losing our premier “backup” QB isn’t exactly good news.

Best of luck Mr Pyne. You performed admirably & beat 4th ranked Clemson! I hope he's not transferring because of Buchner.

3x All League and All region player in HS.
Played as a true frosh at one of the Academies.
Transferred and played 4 seasons at another D 1 school.
Played 2 years in the CFL
Coached 3 seasons at a D3 school. Including DC when school won first conference title in history.
Coached 1 season at a JC
10 years as a HS DC
5 years as an OC.
10 years as a HS HC Led one school to 4 league titles in 4 years. School had one in their history prior (opened in 1915) and that one was 30 years before the first one we got. Was Regional coach of the year. Received a Key to the City for leading the program to unprecedented levels.
Took a team that was 0-10 the year before I got there to 7-3 and sectional playoffs in year 3.
Took another team that was 0-10 the year before I got there and hadn't been to the playoffs in 10 years to 6-4, 8-2 in years 3 and 4 and two playoff appearances.
Do they give you an actual key? If yes is it normal size or a large replica?

Yeah and then if ND gets beaten , you’ll be one of the ones who bash program for another bowl lose.
I want ND to win every game, but this game is more meaningful as a prelude to Spring Ball than anything Else. I wish we had Pyne, our QB for all of our season victories, but we don’t; and I think he made a very good personal decision. So we’re left with Buchner and Angeli as our only two viable QBs, who have a whopping two starts between them. And yes, I’m anxious to see what they can do at this stage. Why you jump to your illogical conclusion about me bashing the team is irrational at best.

Buchner is no good either, I'm all for moving on from Pyne but it's going to have to be for someone better.
Someone between Card, Buchner, Angeli, Minchey will emerge. Sink or swim. QB play will be far better next season. Whoever wins the job may not be the last man standing by the end of the season either.

LMAO. He started one game at Ohio St., then another at home against Marshall, where the OL was freaking awful. And your conclusion is ..."TB has not impressed..."

Got it.
Lmao too. Look at the games Card has started. TB throwing mechanics aren’t very good at all. Running QB that isn’t elite pushing the ball down field. I’ve been around football enough to know. Again don’t care what you think I prefer Card. And btw look at how many games Card started dude. Not much more than TB and more successful

Last edited:
Minchey is not starting, or even seriously competing at QB, as a true freshman. No chance, unless there are a glut of injuries. 2024? Quite possibly.
This is the old school of thought. There are so many true freshman starting at the QB position in CFB now it’s quite common.

In fact Young, Stroud, are two highly successful sophomores that started as true freshman.

If Minchey is the best player, he’ll start.

Reactions: GH56IRISH
This is the old school of thought. There are so many true freshman starting at the QB position in CFB now it’s quite common.

In fact Young, Stroud, are two highly successful sophomores that started as true freshman.

If Minchey is the best player, he’ll start.
Neither of them started as freshman

We’re all putting out educated guesses at this point. Myself as well. The fact is ND is actively looking at a transfer QB, and this is widely known. They also recently secured a commit from Minchey, a QB with good enough skills to compete for starting as a freshman. If I’m Pyne, I look at the anticipated QB for 23, and realistically see myself as the #2, or more likely #3. I think it makes all the sense in the world for him to transfer and enroll early so he can participate in their Spring practices. I like to think that Rees had a candid conversation with him regarding our looking at a transfer QB, but he could have arrived at his decision absent this.
So this is the new college football game?

24 team playoffs (sarcasm)
Players being paid (not sarcasm)
Players come and go as they choose
TV money tainting everything it touches
Universities allowing "Grey Shirting"
I'm sure there's other things but I got to get back to omaha before the B10 game

I am so thankful I got to enjoy college football before all this

"Doesn't mean they couldn't have been blindsided. They could have figured Pyne would be willing return to the bench"

OR -- they could have been brutally upfront with Drew and let him make an informed decision.
Or--- He just wants a different landscape, possibly closer to home? You never know what personal things are going on with someone's life, their family, etc...

I doubt they said Buchner is the automatic starter when he returns...
Pyne could've simply said alright, I'll be starting again after a couple games or even sooner.

Pyne has better odds of playing due to a Buchner injury than going for a starting job at another school.

Reactions: Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT