ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Pyne to The Portal

If Freeman and Rees rely on Buchner, they are crazy. Get a real QB from the portal and take the offense to a new level.

Buchner has only played one full season of football in, what, the last 4-5 years?
They are going for a QB in the portal

Thank god. I’ll never know why he was offered a scholly anyway. Terrible scouting
Yeah… you have no knowledge about him. That he was offered by Alabama , LSU . Georgia , Florida. , Michigan , Ohio St .
He fininished TY in top 20 of all QBs nationally . After not playing in basically 3 years !

Reactions: Jdogg84 and Kelso86
Doesn't mean they couldn't have been blindsided. They could have figured Pyne would be willing return to the bench.
"Doesn't mean they couldn't have been blindsided. They could have figured Pyne would be willing return to the bench"

OR -- they could have been brutally upfront with Drew and let him make an informed decision.

Reactions: NDblitz
Hope he can get his ND degree. A an alum, I am disgusted by the hate and lack of human respect he got from many on this board.
Agree completely. Well stated. But most posters have little to no football acumen. Just fans who think they know more than the coaches. They’ve never seen a practice , know nothing about skill sets , leadership, reads , progressions , etc.

• Haha
And you know how ?
Because I’m from Texas and I’ve watched him play.. he played very well the games Ewers was injured in particular the Alabama game. And to add to this I’ve seen Buchner play this year and last and I’d take Card over him any day of the week

Did you watch the games? He continually showed that he was a capable backup but not the long term solution. He knows this. I've been saying it all season. Pyne is a G5 or FCS caliber QB. ND goes 10-2 or 11-1 with a great QB. If ND had any of the following PAC 12 QBs they beat USC - Rising, Pennix, Nix, De Lara, DTR. He's from CT. Maybe UCONN? They're on the rise and he'd start there.
You are entitled to your opinion. But you really demonstrate a lack of football knowledge .
DP had little to no experience the last two years . He was thrust into the game after an injury . The receiving corps was very in experienced. The OL had yet to come together. He finished in the top 20 of all major programs QBs . And by all accounts was well respected by staff and teammates . He completed over 80% of passes against SC the #4 team in the nation. I could go on and on but you experts have no football acumen .

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
Exactly. No offense to Buchner but he’s just not a D1 QB. Without Pyne stepping in ND would’ve gone 4-8. Smart move by Pyne. This staff wanted nothing to do with him and they somehow think Buchner is better. Rough season coming for ND in ‘23.
What possible knowledge do you have to make such a ridiculous statement.

You are entitled to your opinion. But you really demonstrate a lack of football knowledge .
DP had little to no experience the last two years . He was thrust into the game after an injury . The receiving corps was very in experienced. The OL had yet to come together. He finished in the top 20 of all major programs QBs . And by all accounts was well respected by staff and teammates . He completed over 80% of passes against SC the #4 team in the nation. I could go on and on but you experts have no football acumen .
Good post.

The amount of criticism that kid receives in this Forum is borderline ridiculous.

Reactions: Pennick4
This is a small blow IMO. DP would have made a safe choice for QB2 or QB3 next year. I assume this means we have a portal guy coming. I'm not sold on Buchner and I'd like to see what we have in Angeli.
You haven’t even seen Buchner play. One game + . You’re beyond ridiculous.

Massive mistake by a 36 yo rookie Head Coach, and a 30 year old OC, who were out from under the watchful eye of Brian Kelly. Pyne was a 3rd string emergency QB, he saw the field twice in 2021. The Wisconsin game, because Coan got hurt, and Buchner was not dressed, and then the UC game, because the offense was trying "ANYTHING" for a spark, down 0-17. That's it!

Coming into this season and NOT adding a 5th year QB, likely cost ND 2-3 games, and potentially being in the CFP discussion. The QB room had Buchner an unproven player, and Pyne a 3rd stringer. Knowing that Buchner was unproven and a runner, and Pyne was at best an emergency QB.

Not adding a QB was a flat-out disaster. I am quite sure MF learned from this season, this kind of mistake is how you turn a 11–12-win program, into an 8–9-win program really quick.

FYI 8-4 is cool year 1, when you take over a 6-6 program, going 8-4, year 1, when you took over an 11-1 program, uses up your mulligan.

Marcus Freeman took over a Mercedes Benz program, and 8-4 is a loaded Toyota Avalon season. My suggestion would be to avoid any more single digit win seasons

Reactions: Rionegro
someone mash GIF
Should be banned from site if mods were awake.

Reactions: Kelso86
Agree that we’re likely to see both. Actually, very good opportunity to see where both are at this point. I’m anxious to see Angeli actually take snaps and compete at this level, and anxious to see if a rusty Buchner is a better passer than we saw in his six quarters of play.
Yeah and then if ND gets beaten , you’ll be one of the ones who bash program for another bowl lose.

Massive mistake by a 36 yo rookie Head Coach, and a 30 year old OC, who were out from under the watchful eye of Brian Kelly. Pyne was a 3rd string emergency QB, he saw the field twice in 2021. The Wisconsin game, because Coan got hurt, and Buchner was not dressed, and then the UC game, because the offense was trying "ANYTHING" for a spark, down 0-17. That's it!

Coming into this season and NOT adding a 5th year QB, likely cost ND 2-3 games, and potentially being in the CFP discussion. The QB room had Buchner an unproven player, and Pyne a 3rd stringer. Knowing that Buchner was unproven and a runner, and Pyne was at best an emergency QB.

Not adding a QB was a flat-out disaster. I am quite sure MF learned from this season, this kind of mistake is how you turn a 11–12-win program, into an 8–9-win program really quick.

FYI 8-4 is cool year 1, when you take over a 6-6 program, going 8-4, year 1, when you took over an 11-1 program, uses up your mulligan.

Marcus Freeman took over a Mercedes Benz program, and 8-4 is a loaded Toyota Avalon season. My suggestion would be to avoid any more single digit win seasons
Mercedes Benz? Lol

• Haha
Stop being so soft. Too many snowflakes around.

Geez its a message board with all adults.

Asking for someone to be banned lol
Suggesting a current player should be processed is, IMO, poor form.

Yeah… you have no knowledge about him. That he was offered by Alabama , LSU . Georgia , Florida. , Michigan , Ohio St .
He fininished TY in top 20 of all QBs nationally . After not playing in basically 3 years !
Stop with the facts!

Do you know that MF and TR did not pursue a transfer QB... I mean, it is a two-way street.

Because I’m from Texas and I’ve watched him play.. he played very well the games Ewers was injured in particular the Alabama game. And to add to this I’ve seen Buchner play this year and last and I’d take Card over him any day of the week
You saw 2+ games , of which they lost one so you can make that decision that he’s that special.yeah Buchner played 1+game against Ohio St away in front of 105,000 + fans . And after not playing since his junior year in HS.
once again another ridiculous statement with no data to substantiate .

As I told another poster -- you should think more, and post less.

I’m shocked by this, had his best game of his ND career. But I guess if ND is actively perusing a transfer, the writing is on the wall.

Is Buchner a guarantee to play the bowl or is it Steve Angeli time

Let's compare acumen shall we? I'll start. It's obvious that the coaches told him he is back in the mix. But not the guy. THEY are going into the portal. This means that they, unlike you, see that Drew Pyne's ceiling is pretty much where he is now. And to WIN at a high level they need better. Apparently they have no acumen either.

More bs from you. You have enough hot air to float the Good Year blimp.

Stop being so soft. Too many snowflakes around.

Geez its a message board with all adults.

Asking for someone to be banned lol
Not soft at all . Just exude a little more class than that and you obviously. You don’t know who is on this site .

“Thank god. I’ll never know why he was offered a scholly anyway. Terrible scouting”

He ended up #20 in the country in pass efficiency and he didn’t deserve a scholarship? Lol. Pyne made some mistakes & has some physical limitations but he doesn’t deserve this type of criticism. I’m not saying he’s what we’re all looking for to be the qb at ND, but questioning him being good enough to get a scholarship is so over the top. A first time starter w/ 3 yrs of eligibility left that ends up #20 in the country is better than “never knowing why he was offered a scholly”. Would we have had a better season w/ a better qb? No doubt, but some of the criticism is unwarranted.

Where have you played ? Coached ?
3x All League and All region player in HS.
Played as a true frosh at one of the Academies.
Transferred and played 4 seasons at another D 1 school.
Played 2 years in the CFL
Coached 3 seasons at a D3 school. Including DC when school won first conference title in history.
Coached 1 season at a JC
10 years as a HS DC
5 years as an OC.
10 years as a HS HC Led one school to 4 league titles in 4 years. School had one in their history prior (opened in 1915) and that one was 30 years before the first one we got. Was Regional coach of the year. Received a Key to the City for leading the program to unprecedented levels.
Took a team that was 0-10 the year before I got there to 7-3 and sectional playoffs in year 3.
Took another team that was 0-10 the year before I got there and hadn't been to the playoffs in 10 years to 6-4, 8-2 in years 3 and 4 and two playoff appearances.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rionegro
Suggesting a current player should be processed is, IMO, poor form.
That's fair. That's not what he was talking about though

The kid should never have been given a scholarship though. He was only given one because of his last name.

And that was the previous staff. It's a waste of a scholarship

He was more than likely going to be a backup next year. He tasted a starting role at Teir 1 team. He had his best game of the season, so he is "selling high". I'm a bit surprised he didn't take the bowl ride, start, have some fun. I doubt 3 weeks would make a difference.

Its the right move for him. You got 3, 5 starish guys in front of you in the next 2 years. Who knows who we are bringing in from the portal.

I dont see him riding the bench for 3 years and it highly unlikely he would start over the next 3 years unless there was another injury and we dont land a portal stud.

Did you watch the games? He continually showed that he was a capable backup but not the long term solution. He knows this. I've been saying it all season. Pyne is a G5 or FCS caliber QB. ND goes 10-2 or 11-1 with a great QB. If ND had any of the following PAC 12 QBs they beat USC - Rising, Pennix, Nix, De Lara, DTR. He's from CT. Maybe UCONN? They're on the rise and he'd start there.
His final stats were actually pretty decent - 2,021 yds, 22 TDs, 6 INTs, and a QB rating (155.3) higher than those of Dillon Gabriel, JJ McCarthy, Will Levis, Cameron Rising and Stetson Bennett. That could be a testament to how talented our offense was around him, but nevertheless, decent stats overall.

Bottom line. He has intangibles. Competitor, Great teammate/leader, Smart. BUT he is physically limited. He get's the most out of what he has but there is no way he is good enough to elevate ND to an Elite team. We saw it vs SC. He played lights out but committed to unforced turnovers that were without a doubt the two biggest turning points in the game.

Reactions: 1Redrum
After watching TR in the booth shaking his head or pulling his hair out, maybe TR entered it for him.

I would love to see TR with a top talent at QB. I think the dude is a talented OC.

• Haha
Reactions: Chitown11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT