ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think that the Clemson fans are

Patrirish

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2018
trashing Lawrence for going 18 for 37 (48.6 %) for 234 and no TD’s like they’d be trashing Book for a similar performance ?

Or, do you think that they just think that he just had an off game against a difficult opponent ?

trashing Lawrence for going 18 for 37 (48.6 %) for 234 and no TD’s like they’d be trashing Book for a similar performance ?

Or, do you think that they just think that he just had an off game against a difficult opponent ?
Do you think Book has had just one off game against a difficult opponent?

I think we know how this thread ends up and some wounds are best left alone.

Fans will be fans though, I wish you luck fending off the yahoos on here.

Reactions: nemeth#5
Hhhmmm

Trevor Lawrence....a true sophomore mind you just scored 23 points more than Ian Book... who was a redshirt junior mind you...did in a playoff game.

Lawrence just had an astounding performance against the Buckeyes in the first game of the playoffs.

It wasn't Lawrence fault Clemson's corners got demolished. It wasn't his fault LSU has an ineligible man down field every play or a WR pick play could be called every single play.

It wasn't his fault his receivers decided to drop some key passes.

It wasn't his fault the crazy linebacker got ejected.

He didn't have an amazing game for sure yet he still was able to muster up 23 points more than Ian Book has ever scored in a playoff/major bowl.

That's all I got.

Hhhmmm

Trevor Lawrence....a true sophomore mind you just scored 23 points more than Ian Book... who was a redshirt junior mind you...did in a playoff game.

Lawrence just had an astounding performance against the Buckeyes in the first game of the playoffs.

It wasn't Lawrence fault Clemson's corners got demolished. It wasn't his fault LSU has an ineligible man down field every play or a WR pick play could be called every single play.

He didn't have an amazing game for sure yet he still was able to muster up 23 points more than Ian Book has ever scored in a playoff/major bowl.

That's all I got.

"It wasn't his fault LSU has an ineligible man down field every play or a WR pick play could be called every single play."

Really? Cheap jabs at the greatest offense of all time, this is so typical of you to post this nonsense.

So LSU just managed to cheat all game 88?
Not your best take. Equally as bad as saying LSU had played with fire all year and would lose to OU. Keep the gems coming 88

Hhhmmm

That's all I got.
Another moronic take lol

Sec hater gotta come up with some stupid excuse

Everything IS NOT about ND!

Lawrence was half the man Burrow was tonight ... but that’s nothing to be ashamed of. Fact is he had a bad game against a superior opponent. Alabama with a healthy Tua could challenge LSU, that’s it. No one else.

Hhhmmm

That's all I got.
Lawrence was flat out bad last night. He missed a LOT of throws, several of which were wide open. And when you have the WRs he does, you have to at least give them a chance even when they’re not wide open which he didn’t do either.

He has obviously played great in the past and has a title, but last night was bad. Especially with the clinic Burrow was putting on on the other side.

Reactions: nemeth#5
Hhhmmm

That's all I got.

How did Lawrence score 23 points ?

He didn’t complete 50 % of his passes and didn’t throw one TD.

Hardly a good performance.

so everything that went wrong was the fault of the other players, but when everything goes wrong for ND it’s all Book’s fault ? That’s your position?

I think the LSU defense had a part in Lawrence's bad night? I believe the Clemson fans are getting ready for next season.

Are you out of your fricking mind or just stupid? Comparing Book to Lawrence? You mean the guy who is 29-1 in two years(fresh/soph) with 1NC and 1 runner up to one of the best football teams/college QBs in a long long time? I'd take an 18 for 37 for 234yds against a great team than a 8-25 for 73 yds to an average Michigan team. Do you realize how stupid you sound?

Are you out of your fricking mind or just stupid? Comparing Book to Lawrence? You mean the guy who is 29-1 in two years(fresh/soph) with 1NC and 1 runner up to one of the best football teams/college QBs in a long long time? I'd take an 18 for 37 for 234yds against a great team than a 8-25 for 73 yds to an average Michigan team. Do you realize how stupid you sound?
The comparison to Book is a bit much, but Lawrence was really bad last night. If it had been ND in that game, I'm not sure who would've been crushed the hardest by the fan base, Lawrence, the DB who gave up all the big plays, or the play caller.

TL was great against OSU, but last night he simply didn't have a good game. But he's still just a true sophomore and 25-1 (with a NC) as a starter. That's pretty damn impressive.

Instead of putting it all on TL, maybe some credit needs to go to LSU's defense. Except for a couple of plays, LSU pretty much shut down Clemson's running game. And man, LSU's DBs were as good as advertised. I thought the refs let them get away with PI a few times, but they were all over Clemson's receivers most of the night. They are just good and made it a long night for TL.

Joe Burrow is a special player. He got off to a slow start (largely due to poor field position and Clemson's D being able to pressure him), but once he settled in he was money. Burrow is surprisingly athletic, senses pressure well, and I was really impressed with his ability to throw the touch pass. Before the game somebody asked Todd McShay who would go No. 1 in the NFL draft if Trevor Lawrence came out this year, and McShay said TL, but I don't see it.

I thought the officiating in last night's game was marginal. The OPI call on Higgins that negated a Clemson TD was just terrible IMO. Higgins and the DB were both hand checking, and the DB lost his balance and fell down. There was no OPI. That was a bad call and negated a Clemson TD at an important point in the game. I also recall a blatant miss of a PI call on an LSU DB early in the game, where he just pushed the Clemson receiver to the ground before the ball got there. I was astounded at that non-call.

The targeting call on the Clemson LB was also questionable. I don't disagree that he appeared to hit Jefferson with the crown of his helmet, but I thought the rule was that ejection doesn't follow unless the ref determines there was intent by the defender to target the head or neck. While I don't disagree with the penalty call, I didn't think ejection was warranted. I thought the guy was just playing hard.

Officiating certainly did not determine the outcome of the game, but on a big stage it wasn't a good night for the zebras.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
TL was great against OSU, but last night he simply didn't have a good game. But he's still just a true sophomore and 25-1 (with a NC) as a starter. That's pretty damn impressive.

Instead of putting it all on TL, maybe some credit needs to go to LSU's defense. Except for a couple of plays, LSU pretty much shut down Clemson's running game. And man, LSU's DBs were as good as advertised. I thought the refs let them get away with PI a few times, but they were all over Clemson's receivers most of the night. They are just good and made it a long night for TL.

Joe Burrow is a special player. He got off to a slow start (largely due to poor field position and Clemson's D confusing him), but once he settled in he was money. Burrow is surprisingly athletic, senses pressure well, and I was really impressed with his ability to throw the touch pass. Before the game somebody asked Todd McShay who would go No. 1 in the NFL draft if Trevor Lawrence came out this year, and McShay said TL, but I don't see it.

I thought the officiating in last night's game was marginal. The OPI call on Higgins that negated a Clemson TD was just terrible IMO. Higgins and the DB were both hand checking, and the DB lost his balance and fell down. There was no OPI. That was a bad call and negated a Clemson TD at an important point in the game. I also recall a blatant miss of a PI call on an LSU DB early in the game, where he just pushed the Clemson receiver to the ground before the ball got there. I was astounded at that non-call.

The targeting call on the Clemson LB was also questionable. I don't disagree that he appeared to hit Jefferson with the crown of his helmet, but I thought the rule was that ejection doesn't follow unless the ref determines there was intent by the defender to target the head or neck. While I don't disagree with the penalty call, I didn't think ejection was warranted. I thought the guy was just playing hard.

Officiating certainly did not determine the outcome of the game, but on a big stage it wasn't a good night for the zebras.

Fair.

Had Ohio state not been tagged with a crappy targeting call Clemson might not have played last night. Sadly, it happens

Good point. I'm not a fan of the Buckeyes, but I thought they got hosed on that call.

Trust me, lol, I'm not either. However, can't turn a blind eye to that call and the one last night, equally poor. Ejections should be for egregious, malicious, intent to injury another player hits. If they can't tell the difference in incidental contact when leading with the head and the above mentioned, change the rule.

"It wasn't his fault LSU has an ineligible man down field every play or a WR pick play could be called every single play."

Really? Cheap jabs at the greatest offense of all time, this is so typical of you to post this nonsense.

So LSU just managed to cheat all game 88?
Not your best take. Equally as bad as saying LSU had played with fire all year and would lose to OU. Keep the gems coming 88
Another moronic take lol

Sec hater gotta come up with some stupid excuse

The youth of the board never fails to sit on their seat edge just waiting for me to post something. :cool:

The op asked...what would the Clemson fan have to say after a performance like that and in some strange way he makes it about Ian Book as well.

I'm no Clemson fan but I obliged the OP on what some rabid and loyal fans would probably be saying.

The Book comparison wasn't an opinion and just silly.

Have a great day.

The youth of the board never fails to sit on their seat edge just waiting for me to post something. :cool:

The op asked...what would the Clemson fan have to say after a performance like that and in some strange way he makes it about Ian Book as well.

I'm no Clemson fan but I obliged the OP on what some rabid and loyal fans would probably be saying.

The Book comparison wasn't an opinion and just silly.

Have a great day.

Classic 88 lol.

I think the LSU defense had a part in Lawrence's bad night? I believe the Clemson fans are getting ready for next season.
I bet they are lamenting losing just like any other fan base would be. Lawrence is a great QB. He had a pretty bad night by not only his standards, but typical college QB standards. It happens. Some of it is a defense playing well and aggressively, some of it is that players just have off nights.

How did Lawrence score 23 points ?

He didn’t complete 50 % of his passes and didn’t throw one TD.

Hardly a good performance.

so everything that went wrong was the fault of the other players, but when everything goes wrong for ND it’s all Book’s fault ? That’s your position?
No...as said to the two squirrels running around looking for acorns I drop since I'm the oak...

You asked...what would Clemson fans be saying...and so playing devils advocate for the boards Kelly and Book apologists I thought I'd reply in a way similar that they would fall on the sword.

The Book tie in altogether though I must say is pretty insane.

I've been watching some of the talking head sport shows this morning. Joel Klatt was on the Colin Cowherd show (I'm not a big Cowherd fan but appreciate that he likes CFB and talks about it on his show) and Cowherd asked Klatt which NFL QB that Joe Burrow most reminds him of. Klatt answered that Burrow most reminds him of Joe Montana. Good footwork, good pocket presence, cool under pressure, and throws a very catchable ball. Pretty heady stuff for Burrow. I guess we'll see how he does with the Bengals.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
I've been watching some of the talking head sport shows this morning. Joel Klatt was on the Colin Cowherd show (I'm not a big Cowherd fan but appreciate that he likes CFB and talks about it on his show) and Cowherd asked Klatt which NFL QB that Joe Burrow most reminds him of. Klatt answered that Burrow most reminds him of Joe Montana. Good footwork, good pocket presence, cool under pressure, and throws a very catchable ball. Pretty heady stuff for Burrow. I guess we'll see how he does with the Bengals.

Klatt is solid and knows his stuff! Hot take though

No...as said to the two squirrels running around looking for acorns I drop since I'm the oak...

You asked...what would Clemson fans be saying...and so playing devils advocate for the boards Kelly and Book apologists I thought I'd reply in a way similar that they would fall on the sword.

The Book tie in altogether though I must say is pretty insane.

What's equally insane was you saying OU would beat LSU and that LSU played with fire all year long. That was insane as well

Joe Burrow is a special player. He got off to a slow start (largely due to poor field position and Clemson's D being able to pressure him), but once he settled in he was money. Burrow is surprisingly athletic, senses pressure well, and I was really impressed with his ability to throw the touch pass. Before the game somebody asked Todd McShay who would go No. 1 in the NFL draft if Trevor Lawrence came out this year, and McShay said TL, but I don't see it.

A few counterpoints.

Clemson's run game was fine. Etienne had 15 for 78. That's over 5ypc.
Lawrence missed wide open receivers all night. And given the skill of his receivers, he needed to give them chances to make plays. The difference in last night's game was Burrow's ability to throw into tight windows and his ability to get it where his elite receivers could make plays. That's not to say that Lawrence isn't an outstanding QB who will be great next year, but he airmailed it a lot last night.

The OPI on Higgins generally doesn't get called. He definitely pulled the DB down by his jersey, but given how much they had let both teams play in the secondary all night, that was a surprising call. The targeting on the LB was obvious though. It was one of the easiest targeting calls to make ever. Leading with the crown is always targeting. Doesn't have to be high. You spear someone in the back, and it's targeting.

Do you realize how stupid you sound?

Forgive them, for they know not what they do.

Such is the plight of the horde.

Scurrying about trying to pass off their emotional thoughts as if it were sound logic. It never concludes well for them for they yet to realize one's emotions be separate from one's thoughts.

Why even @Catholicfan95 at the beginning of this very thread briefly logically concluded he and the original poster would not fare well defending this stance, yet in a matter of minutes there he found himself disbursing all of his emotional angst onto poor @88ND for merely expressing his opinion on the football game last night.

In this manner, those who operate too much within the emotional realm of the brain be truly unhinged at times where they forsake thy own self in minutes. One must observe such phenomenon and give caution to hold such another's opinion with too much weight. An additional phenomenon that they selves be aware of which no doubt causes them further consternation of which further consternation brings about yet more as the emotional minded have difficulty regulating themselves of which we will undoubtedly see some examples commence.

I don't think it was an off game. LSU was just a dominant team

I don't think it was an off game. LSU was just a dominant team
If it wasn’t an off game, Lawrence isn’t as good as advertised. He was off target with his throws all night and many of them couldn’t be attributed to the defense.

A few counterpoints.

Clemson's run game was fine. Etienne had 15 for 78. That's over 5ypc.
Lawrence missed wide open receivers all night. And given the skill of his receivers, he needed to give them chances to make plays. The difference in last night's game was Burrow's ability to throw into tight windows and his ability to get it where his elite receivers could make plays. That's not to say that Lawrence isn't an outstanding QB who will be great next year, but he airmailed it a lot last night.

The OPI on Higgins generally doesn't get called. He definitely pulled the DB down by his jersey, but given how much they had let both teams play in the secondary all night, that was a surprising call. The targeting on the LB was obvious though. It was one of the easiest targeting calls to make ever. Leading with the crown is always targeting. Doesn't have to be high. You spear someone in the back, and it's targeting.

Fair enough, @lyonhawk. Etienne had a couple of longish runs that boosted up the YPC number. I watched the whole game and I seem to recall he got stuffed for little or no gain on numerous occasions. I just didn't have the feeling that Clemson ever got into a good rhythm running the ball.

There is no doubt TL was off last night, but on many plays his receivers were covered. I just thought the LSU secondary played well. You are right about Burrow's ability to throw into tight windows. And he just seems to throw a very catchable ball.

On the OPI call, I thought the LSU DB was the one who initiated the hand checking with Higgins. The DB fell down because he lost his balance, not because Higgins pulled him down. Really bad call, IMO.

On the targeting call, you are right. I went and studied the NCAA rules and it was called correctly by the letter of the law. But I wish the college rule was like the NFL rule, and didn't result in the automatic ejection of the player except in egregious situations, e.g., a Vontaze Burfict spear job. The Clemson LB was just trying to make a play; I didn't think it was a dirty play.

Fair enough, @lyonhawk. On the targeting call, you are right. I went and studied the NCAA rules and it was called correctly by the letter of the law. But I wish the college rule was like the NFL rule, and didn't result in the automatic ejection of the player except in egregious situations, e.g., a Vontaze Burfict spear job. The Clemson LB was just trying to make a play; I didn't think it was a dirty play.

I don’t think the play was dirty either, but it doesn’t have to be dirty to be targeting. Mandatory ejection is a harsh penalty, but I think it is helping get hits like that out of the game.

NEITHER, YOU’RE THE IDIOT !

You lack the ability to understand the gist of this thread.

Have someone with a brain explain it to you.

Lawrence had a bad game, that’s undeniable!

Let’s see, one game was played outdoors in a monsoon and the other game was played indoors in a climate controlled environment

Have someone with a brain explain the distinction to you .

Let’s see, one game was played outdoors in a monsoon and the other game was played indoors in a climate controlled environment

Have someone with a brain explain the distinction to you .
Spoken like the true BK apologist you are. Monsoon? Michigan didn't seem to have a problem racking up 45 points.

Reactions: NIN Irish
NEITHER, YOU’RE THE IDIOT !

You lack the ability to understand the gist of this thread.

Have someone with a brain explain it to you.

Lawrence had a bad game, that’s undeniable!
Oh I got your gist. Poor Ian and BK got blasted for having a $hitty game and not being ready to play. But Trevor Lawrence who is one of the two best QBs in the nation has an off night but no one from Clemson is ripping on him. Maybe because hes 29-1 and has a NC? Ya think?
Oh thats right ND OL sucks according to you and Ian has absolutely no time to throw. Why does he have happy feet and can't find wide open receivers? Are you his little brother?

Reactions: NIN Irish
If Trevor Lawrence was a JR & eligible for the draft. He’s the number 1 pick. He ran into a buzz saw on Monday night. 2 National Title appearances with one resulting in a win vs another juggernaut, Bama. First loss since Blessed Sacrament in HS. No reasonable person would ever attack Mr Lawrence.

PS. Michigan isn’t even in the same arena as 15-0 LSU.

“Spoken like the true BK apologist you are. Monsoon? Michigan didn't seem to have a problem racking up 45 points.”

Just ftr, they completed 6 passes and ran for over 300 yards. I don’t think book could’ve gotten away w/ completing 6 passes mostly because there’s no way we were gonna get close to running for 300 yards in that game. That’s why I’ve said that our offense was screwed going into that game. We needed to be on point in the passing game and the weather never allowed that to happen. Perfect storm for them to win and ND to get trounced. Surprised we gave up that many yards to them on the ground, tbh. We should’ve loaded the box and pressured Patterson like they did to us. Passing game wasn’t gonna win that game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT