ADVERTISEMENT

Decline penalty? 3rd Quarter 0:54

FightingIrish44

ND Expert
May 7, 2009
0:54 Third quarter against Wake. Its 4th and 13 and Wake has a false start. ND is up 31-7. Ball on ND 36.

ND declined the penalty. I disagree with this. This isn’t the spot to play this game where you try to make it more difficult for the punter. The primary goal should be to prevent a first down and touchdown. ND should have made it 4th and 18. Wake also had just showed a willingness to go for it.

Amazingly, the Wake coach then obliged and punted it. That was also the wrong call. You’re down 3 TD’s and 3 two pointers. You probably need 4 possessions to tie or take the lead. Why forfeit one possession with only one quarter left and you’re on the opponent’s 36? Its 4th and 13, not 4th and 22. They punted it and only gained 16 yards because of the touchback. Even if they pinned ND on the 1, it was still wrong IMO because now there is only 15:27 remaining in the game and you’re down 24. They should have gone for it.

0:54 Third quarter against Wake. Its 4th and 13 and Wake has a false start. ND is up 31-7. Ball on ND 36.

ND declined the penalty. I disagree with this. This isn’t the spot to play this game where you try to make it more difficult for the punter. The primary goal should be to prevent a first down and touchdown. ND should have made it 4th and 18. Wake also had just showed a willingness to go for it.

Amazingly, the Wake coach then obliged and punted it. That was also the wrong call. You’re down 3 TD’s and 3 two pointers. You probably need 4 possessions to tie or take the lead. Why forfeit one possession with only one quarter left and you’re on the opponent’s 36? Its 4th and 13, not 4th and 22. They punted it and only gained 16 yards because of the touchback. Even if they pinned ND on the 1, it was still wrong IMO because now there is only 15:27 remaining in the game and you’re down 24. They should have gone for it.
I'm surprised Jack hadn't considered you for HC after Kelly abruptly left. Send your resume in to the incoming AD so he has you on speed dial in case the wheels fall off with Freeman.

I was at the game and thought the same thing. I suppose the mindset of Freeman was that we had a commanding lead and, except for 1 drive, our defense had pretty much completely shut down the WF offense, and he was confident we would get a stop even if WF decided to go for it on 4th and 13. But you're right, I raised an eyebrow at the decision.

Ok so WF is going for it on 4th and 13, jumps, it stays 4th and 13 so then they punt instead?

I was at the game and thought the same thing. I suppose the mindset of Freeman was that we had a commanding lead and, except for 1 drive, our defense had pretty much completely shut down the WF offense, and he was confident we would get a stop even if WF decided to go for it on 4th and 13. But you're right, I raised an eyebrow at the decision.
I think your suggestion of Freeman’s thought process is correct, but how would he know they’re going to punt instead of go for it?

I rewatched the play and maybe the OL’s body language looked like he deliberately jumped. Did a coach communicate this to Freeman and he decided to decline the penalty? I don’t know why Wake would do that though instead of continuing to try to draw the defense offsides unless they thought that was the best way to get the penalty accepted. And the 41 is still a difficult spot from which to attempt to pin your opponent.

I still think Wake should have gone for it on the 36. They conceded the game by punting it. Yesterday Buffalo made it interesting against Eastern Michigan by scoring to make it 24-8 with 5 minutes left in the 3rd.

The only thing that makes sense for that decision is that Freeman felt confident the ND defense would get the stop at 4th and 13, thus giving them good field position. If they accept the penalty, he figured they could get pinned deep by giving the punter the extra 5 yards. Wake did punt and it worked out for ND as it went into the end zone. The ball was in that “ no man’s land “ area. Just me speculating. It is the only thing that makes sense as to why not take a penalty there.

The only thing that makes sense for that decision is that Freeman felt confident the ND defense would get the stop at 4th and 13, thus giving them good field position. If they accept the penalty, he figured they could get pinned deep by giving the punter the extra 5 yards. Wake did punt and it worked out for ND as it went into the end zone. The ball was in that “ no man’s land “ area. Just me speculating. It is the only thing that makes sense as to why not take a penalty there.
I think your speculation is exactly correct. If a close game, not at all sure he makes the same decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT