ADVERTISEMENT

Defense under Al Golden

I think you could make the argument that every single last coach in D-1 football would have been a better hire - across the board - than MF. That he was utterly unqualified, strictly on the merits, if you remove his boyish good looks and charm, which in any case is really the simple reason why ND hired him. And the hope is, the cross-your-fingers hope is, that he's not just a pretty face, that he's a totally awesome young coach as well with real coaching substance, and ND was just lucky enough to be able to identify him before anyone else.

I think that's a fair of description of how and why ND hired him. They want him and took him for his irresistible superficial traits, and they're hoping like the dickens that he's got the coaching chops too.
Moron

It's really weird how he keeps talking about MFs looks

Reactions: jcswoopnh
The only proven coaches who could take ND to the next level are Dabo, Nick, Day, maybe Kirby and Lincoln. None would ever take the ND job. Nickel would not leave Cincy do to timing
MF was a no brainer due to is recruiting ability and potential. He has a couple of experienced coaches to help with the transition.
If Notre Dame had been willing to wait a month, we could’ve had Fickell.

The only proven coaches who could take ND to the next level are Dabo, Nick, Day, maybe Kirby and Lincoln. None would ever take the ND job. Nickel would not leave Cincy do to timing
MF was a no brainer due to is recruiting ability and potential. He has a couple of experienced coaches to help with the transition.
Previous success doesn't mean they'd fit at Notre dame. I like dabo but I don't think his style would work at ND.

Nick Saban is 70. You wouldn't turn him down but that's a rental at this point.

What has Riley done other that put out good qbs.

If Notre Dame had been willing to wait a month, we could’ve had Fickell.
Fickel is 1 helluva a coach and human being. He would have been better than Kelly, no argument. I just don't know if he could recruit the talent that ND needs

Reactions: adrian1477
Previous success doesn't mean they'd fit at Notre dame. I like dabo but I don't think his style would work at ND.

Nick Saban is 70. You wouldn't turn him down but that's a rental at this point.

What has Riley done other that put out good qbs.
He can recruit top level talent

Let's hope so. What we really need to be hoping for is that this doesn't turn into a BVG situation. The parallels aren't identical, but they're not too far off....
The fact that he uses terms like make quick decisions "fast" and "free" is totally opposite bvg. Where you had to define the play, make the correct read, and be in the right spot or the d fails.

Building a d that is flexible to allow for mistakes while resulting in big plays is something I'm on board with.

It will be a different year imho. I expect more turnovers on BOTH SIDES. the morons will be out as soon as Buchner throws two picks... He's gonna. A lot. But I also expect many more big plays.

Reactions: adrian1477
The fact that he uses terms like make quick decisions "fast" and "free" is totally opposite bvg. Where you had to define the play, make the correct read, and be in the right spot or the d fails.

Building a d that is flexible to allow for mistakes while resulting in big plays is something I'm on board with.

It will be a different year imho. I expect more turnovers on BOTH SIDES. the morons will be out as soon as Buchner throws two picks... He's gonna. A lot. But I also expect many more big plays.
I'm pretty sure nobody had any clue BVG was going to be such a disappointment, and that would include you. And he came into the ND job with frankly a better resume, more experience, and more success as a DC per se. And plenty of the same fancy talk about how his system was going to be just what the doctor ordered. Al Golden had one stretch actually DC-ing and preparing gameplans and all the rest of it, as the chief defensive tactician on a college coaching staff, and that around 20 years ago. Other than that he spent ten years ambitiously pursuing, his big dream trying to be the head honcho, and then fortunately for him managing to stay in the game since then as a position coach in the NFL.

So I'm failing to see why, on paper at least, he's so highly regarded. BK at LSU hired some dude named Matt House. Early 40s, youthful, pretty good broad range of experience as an asst coach, and finally getting his chance to be a DC at a top SEC program, ready to make his name, his career on a steady upward arc leading up to this point. And I was very much hoping/expecting MF to find someone like that as well. I was quite surprised and not a little disappointed he brought in what amounts to a coaching retread, that absolutely brings to mind the possibility of another BVG....

I think you could make the argument that every single last coach in D-1 football would have been a better hire - across the board - than MF. That he was utterly unqualified, strictly on the merits, if you remove his boyish good looks and charm, which in any case is really the simple reason why ND hired him. And the hope is, the cross-your-fingers hope is, that he's not just a pretty face, that he's a totally awesome young coach as well with real coaching substance, and ND was just lucky enough to be able to identify him before anyone else.

I think that's a fair of description of how and why ND hired him. They want him and took him for his irresistible superficial traits, and they're hoping like the dickens that he's got the coaching chops too.
You could make that argument .. but it would be VERY WEAK!!!! I am glad we don't have to wait long to find out... sept 3rd.... 😁😁😁

Freeman's D last year was attack attack, then the most ridiculous prevent D i've ever seen. THe attacking worked a lot (minus a few poor players that may play a lot this year) but the prevent never worked.

I sure hope we're an attacking D that improves on some of freeman's scheme deficiencies.

I’m guessing if Golden really is a bend don’t break fella, Freeman won’t take issue based on what he called last year.

Fickel is 1 helluva a coach and human being. He would have been better than Kelly, no argument. I just don't know if he could recruit the talent that ND needs
Luke Fickell badly wants the Ohio State job, and frankly, I do not believe him and his wife, both proud Ohio natives, would have uprooted their 6 kids and moved out of state for another head coaching gig.

Reactions: rrdd2021

Odd. Really odd.

Luke Fickell badly wants the Ohio State job, and frankly, I do not believe him and his wife, both proud Ohio natives, would have uprooted their 6 kids and moved out of state for another head coaching gig.
Agreed

I'm pretty sure nobody had any clue BVG was going to be such a disappointment, and that would include you. And he came into the ND job with frankly a better resume, more experience, and more success as a DC per se. And plenty of the same fancy talk about how his system was going to be just what the doctor ordered. Al Golden had one stretch actually DC-ing and preparing gameplans and all the rest of it, as the chief defensive tactician on a college coaching staff, and that around 20 years ago. Other than that he spent ten years ambitiously pursuing, his big dream trying to be the head honcho, and then fortunately for him managing to stay in the game since then as a position coach in the NFL.

So I'm failing to see why, on paper at least, he's so highly regarded. BK at LSU hired some dude named Matt House. Early 40s, youthful, pretty good broad range of experience as an asst coach, and finally getting his chance to be a DC at a top SEC program, ready to make his name, his career on a steady upward arc leading up to this point. And I was very much hoping/expecting MF to find someone like that as well. I was quite surprised and not a little disappointed he brought in what amounts to a coaching retread, that absolutely brings to mind the possibility of another BVG..
Lol. Stop posting paragraphs. No one reads the whole thing from you.

No one thought bvg would be bad, but it wasn't celebrated as a good hire either.

I'm hopeful, that is all.

Lol. Stop posting paragraphs. No one reads the whole thing from you.

No one thought bvg would be bad, but it wasn't celebrated as a good hire either.

I'm hopeful, that is all.
I think I'll keep posting paragraphs as I see fit. And I'm quite sure you read my posts all the way through, several times over if necessary. But you gotta say something to belittle me, or take me down a peg, since as always you got no substance.

In any case, we'll politely drop the subject....

I think I'll keep posting paragraphs as I see fit. And I'm quite sure you read my posts all the way through, several times over if necessary. But you gotta say something to belittle me, or take me down a peg, since as always you got no substance.

In any case, we'll politely drop the subject....
Lol. Nope. Ignored.

We made out better
The truth is, we don't know. He could be a smashing success, or he could be another Bob Davie (another former DC who was promoted to HC). That's the risk you take hiring somebody who's never been a HC before.

So far, everything seems great. But once the games start, then we'll find out whether he can coach or not (as a HC).

Fickell's a devout Catholic. I think he would've taken the ND job if offered.

The truth is, we don't know. He could be a smashing success, or he could be another Bob Davie (another former DC who was promoted to HC). That's the risk you take hiring somebody who's never been a HC before.

So far, everything seems great. But once the games start, then we'll find out whether he can coach or not (as a HC).
Same if we hired Fickell

You're dead on with this comment. The thought of the hand wringing that is going to go on the first time we get burned on defense or make a boneheaded mistake on offense is almost enough to make me run for the hills.

No, Fickell's already been a head coach. He's 44-7 over the last 4 years. Freeman's never been a head coach before.
Yeah at a non power 5 school. Hes never coached in the big leagues. We have no clue how hed do at Notre Dame. A lot of coaches performed well in the minors and couldn't replicate it when they moved up. We have no clue how Fickell would do here. We know MF can recruit and build a really good staff. So, so far, so good

It’d be great if posters got smarter by the number of posts they make, some here would be geniuses. Too bad for them (& us), that’s not how it works.

If we see a lot of prevent I might off myself
I don't think that will work - AT ALL - against OSU. I watched them a lot last year and they just killed teams with intermediate passes when they were dropping deep. That one that is returning this year - Jaxon Smith Whatever - is really good at those shorter - over the middle passes. And the new starter - Marvin Harrison Jr. - caught 3 TDs in the Rose Bowl on intermediate passes when he filled in for Olave who sat out for the NFL draft

Yeah at a non power 5 school. Hes never coached in the big leagues. We have no clue how hed do at Notre Dame. A lot of coaches performed well in the minors and couldn't replicate it when they moved up. We have no clue how Fickell would do here. We know MF can recruit and build a really good staff. So, so far, so good
If you look at the history of Notre Dame football, our most successful coaches have been the ones who had previous D-1 HC experience (except for Rockne). The ones who didn't (e.g., Davie, Weis and Faust) didn't do as well. That's the past history of the program. So if Freeman succeeds, he'll be an exception to that rule. And we all hope he does, obviously.

But having an experienced former HC like Golden on staff should be an asset to him this year.

Last edited:
I haven’t read too much about Al Golden”s defense. From reading other boards and listening to their thoughts I haven’t heard too many good things. Like ?
“Bend but don’t break defense “
“Runs a 3-4 scheme “
“Very vanilla “
“Wait till it’s 3 and goal on the 2 and he calls a prevent D. “
“ not aggressive enough”
Sounds like Bob Diaco 2.0.
What have you guys heard ? And are you concerned at all ?
I believe you are confusing him with his DC at while Golden was HC at Temple and Miami.

I believe you are confusing him with his DC at while Golden was HC at Temple and Miami.
Looks like Golden at Miami was under the NCAA cloud at the time. Not that that would have bothered 80s Miami.

I don't think that will work - AT ALL - against OSU. I watched them a lot last year and they just killed teams with intermediate passes when they were dropping deep. That one that is returning this year - Jaxon Smith Whatever - is really good at those shorter - over the middle passes. And the new starter - Marvin Harrison Jr. - caught 3 TDs in the Rose Bowl on intermediate passes when he filled in for Olave who sat out for the NFL draft
There is more to it then running it for the sake of running it. If Notre Dame needs to limit possessions because they are having trouble scoring, it makes sense to stretch the game out....not necessarily prevent but bend don't break, then be aggressive inside the thirty.

This was a Kelly strategy that I don't know if it will carry over

What happened sometimes with Kelly is we would have this really long defensive drive...then give up a td then go 3 and put on offense... With no depth in our secondary we were the forced to play a lot of prevent because Kelly wouldn't play younger guys and we literally wore our own defense out vs elite teams becUse the offense couldn't sustain drives... The snowball then ran downhill and we get stomped.

Running prevent to give out guys a break at times makes sense, but I'd much rather see a rotation on defense and a more balanced offense that doesn't rely on fades and back shoulders to the outside for 75% of passing plays so we can keep an opponents defense on the field.

I’m guessing if Golden really is a bend don’t break fella, Freeman won’t take issue based on what he called last year.
Bend don't break was a Kelly strategy. No matter who his coordinator was he wanted to slow them down then attack inside the thirty.

What’s going on with Prince Kollie?
Practicing back off concussion protocol … he’s getting some good pub lately… I was hoping he’d earn starting spot this year and maybe he does later in season, but he’ll definitely have big impact next year

Reactions: IrishMike409
Hiring MF was not a no-brainer. In fact, you probably would say that the decision to hire MF is the exact polar opposite of a no-brainer. The kind of decision you'd have to think really long and hard about it, and sort of violently rack your brain over it... And then after you made the decision have no effin' idea wether you made a brilliant, inspired decision or not, or whether you just did the stupidest thing you could have ever done. And that feeling would be so strong, that you'd be in a perpetually adrenalized quasi-denial state, on account of how you just made such a supremely questionable decision, on such a weighty matter, on the basis of equally questionable criteria and priorities. But this is ND we're talking about....

And then just sort of hide under the table and hope everything turns out okay. I think Duke was the only school vaguely mentioned in connection with possibly hiring MF. And maybe Cincinnati would have - if Fickell had taken some other job, like for instance the ND job - which would have been a major score for MF, and presumably was what he was maybe hoping for. But instead he actually got the ND job.....

Which is doubly perfect, because if Fickell had been available, and Cincy had been snubbed out of the playoff like many pundits were saying they deserved to be, I bet you ND would have gone for him. But maybe not, maybe ND was/is in love with MF so completely, that they would have passed on just about anyone else, and I'm not even sure who they would have picked over MF, and there's literally no one else they would have preferred, even if they had the #1 overall pick in a HC's draft! Even though no one else in the country was interested in MF at all. And so ND must have figured they were just that far ahead of the curve....

So here goes nothing! MF is ND football coach, and let's hope he's got at least a bit of Dabo Swinnery in him, which is the guy I think it's best to compare him to if you're trying to imagine a scenario where MF becomes a huge success. Sort of hired out of nowhere, and not really any sort of next-level coaching savant, but he can be a good recruiter and head cheerleader, and hopefully hire really good assistants....
You sound like a lot of Clemson and Oklahoma fans when they hired first year coaches.

How can you say Coach Freeman will fail at ND???

The advantage of being able to hire from within is huge.

Having a guy that
1. Already knows the players
2. Knows the culture of the university
3. Knows the fan base and traditions of the university

Also, what about Oklahoma’s new coach? A guy with zero HC experience and an outside hire. My point, what ND has done in hiring Coach Freeman is not unusual.

Reactions: tbone3114
You sound like a lot of Clemson and Oklahoma fans when they hired first year coaches.

How can you say Coach Freeman will fail at ND???

The advantage of being able to hire from within is huge.

Having a guy that
1. Already knows the players
2. Knows the culture of the university
3. Knows the fan base and traditions of the university

Also, what about Oklahoma’s new coach? A guy with zero HC experience and an outside hire. My point, what ND has done in hiring Coach Freeman is not unusual.
I don't think anyone would be shocked if MF failed at ND. Why would you be?? What is it about MF, that is reality-based, outside of his handsome face, beaming smile and genuinely charismatic and youthful demeanor and mannerisms, that would ever mark him out for greatness??? Nothing!

So it's entirely possible that he will become one of the great coaches of all time, that he really will be the next Dabo Swinnery, where he got a top HC job he really wasn't qualified for, but in highly improbable fashion ended up having that CEO-coaching knack, which is WAY different than tactical/technical coaching genius.... even though the real reason he got the job was because ND was simply far too smitten to allow him to walk out that door, he nevertheless pulls it off somehow. Dabo has an MBA, and I always figure that played a HUGE role in his success. It's one thing to be a an ambitious, hard-working whippersnapper of a young football coach just looking for a chance to prove himself, but Dabo actually received specific organizational business training. So he knows how to think like a CEO is my point. And presumably is armed with a strong entrepreneurial disposition, and actual training in bringing complicated, multi-layered plans to fruition....

The important thing for MF is that no particular coaching 'genius' is required to be a top HC. They got coordinators for that shit. It's about 'leadership', and having a vision for the program, that sort of thing, as well as enough self-mastery and presence of mind, and caliber of personality to see to it's effective and successful implementation despite all the various adversity and 'noise', to use an economics term, that might distract you or delude you. Which is something he's theoretically quite capable of, in spite of his at times almost unnerving levels of nearly childlike naivety that he seems to evince. And Dabo Swinnery is living proof that you don't need to be, almost don't even want to be, a bonafide coaching badass, in order to be highly effective in that CEO role. There's probably a shit ton of very smart, capable ground-level football coaches that would not distinguish themselves as CEO HCs. It's a different skill set, an organizational skill set, think Dwight Eisenhower vs George Patton

So that's what we can hope for. That MF will thrive as Dabo Swinnery 2.0. But that's not why he was hired. The real reason is that they're in love with MF, and weren't willing to let him go. MF swept Jack Swarbrick, and the rest of the ND hiring/firing brass off their feet. Conceiving of a possible path to glory for MF, like I have, thoughtfully comparing him to Dabo Swinnery, the great fluke coaching success story of all time, is something you do after the fact.... and then you just hope for the best. All the shit you mentioned are the same things Swarbrick told himself, and could be used to rationalize the hire. That's not WHY he was hired....

I don't think anyone would be shocked if MF failed at ND. Why would you be?? What is it about MF, that is reality-based, outside of his handsome face, beaming smile and genuinely charismatic and youthful demeanor and mannerisms, that would ever mark him out for greatness??? Nothing!

So it's entirely possible that he will become one of the great coaches of all time, that he really will be the next Dabo Swinnery, where he got a top HC job he really wasn't qualified for, but in highly improbable fashion ended up having that CEO-coaching knack, which is WAY different than tactical/technical coaching genius.... even though the real reason he got the job was because ND was simply far too smitten to allow him to walk out that door, he nevertheless pulls it off somehow. Dabo has an MBA, and I always figure that played a HUGE role in his success. It's one thing to be a an ambitious, hard-working whippersnapper of a young football coach just looking for a chance to prove himself, but Dabo actually received specific organizational business training. So he knows how to think like a CEO is my point. And presumably is armed with a strong entrepreneurial disposition, and actual training in bringing complicated, multi-layered plans to fruition....

The important thing for MF is that no particular coaching 'genius' is required to be a top HC. They got coordinators for that shit. It's about 'leadership', and having a vision for the program, that sort of thing, as well as enough self-mastery and presence of mind, and caliber of personality to see to it's effective and successful implementation despite all the various adversity and 'noise', to use an economics term, that might distract you or delude you. Which is something he's theoretically quite capable of, in spite of his at times almost unnerving levels of nearly childlike naivety that he seems to evince. And Dabo Swinnery is living proof that you don't need to be, almost don't even want to be, a bonafide coaching badass, in order to be highly effective in that CEO role. There's probably a shit ton of very smart, capable ground-level football coaches that would not distinguish themselves as CEO HCs. It's a different skill set, an organizational skill set, think Dwight Eisenhower vs George Patton

So that's what we can hope for. That MF will thrive as Dabo Swinnery 2.0. But that's not why he was hired. The real reason is that they're in love with MF, and weren't willing to let him go. MF swept Jack Swarbrick, and the rest of the ND hiring/firing brass off their feet. Conceiving of a possible path to glory for MF, like I have, thoughtfully comparing him to Dabo Swinnery, the great fluke coaching success story of all time, is something you do after the fact.... and then you just hope for the best. All the shit you mentioned are the same things Swarbrick told himself, and could be used to rationalize the hire. That's not WHY he was hired....
Again talking about his looks

So weird

Let’s address your first paragraph.

“I don't think anyone would be shocked if MF failed at ND. Why would you be?? What is it about MF, that is reality-based, outside of his handsome face, beaming smile and genuinely charismatic and youthful demeanor and mannerisms, that would ever mark him out for greatness??? Nothing!”

Second sentence: What is it about MF?

1. the guy is a great recruiter and develop players. Look at the players Cincinnati recruited and developed. Cincinnati had more players drafted this season than ND.

2. He knows how to game prep. Look at his defenses at Cincinnati. They were always prepared.

3. in game adjustments. Again look at his track record at Cincinnati.

4. Players believe in him. This is the biggest reason. Rewatch the video of the day he was announced to the players as the new HC. There was nothing fake about that response.
He already has the whole team believing!!!

That’s just 4 reasons off the top of my head.

You can add.

High football IQ
Passion
Great work e

Reactions: tbone3114
Let’s address your first paragraph.

“I don't think anyone would be shocked if MF failed at ND. Why would you be?? What is it about MF, that is reality-based, outside of his handsome face, beaming smile and genuinely charismatic and youthful demeanor and mannerisms, that would ever mark him out for greatness??? Nothing!”

Second sentence: What is it about MF?

1. the guy is a great recruiter and develop players. Look at the players Cincinnati recruited and developed. Cincinnati had more players drafted this season than ND.

2. He knows how to game prep. Look at his defenses at Cincinnati. They were always prepared.

3. in game adjustments. Again look at his track record at Cincinnati.

4. Players believe in him. This is the biggest reason. Rewatch the video of the day he was announced to the players as the new HC. There was nothing fake about that response.
He already has the whole team believing!!!

That’s just 4 reasons off the top of my head.

You can add.

High football IQ
Passion
Great work e

I stand rock solid by my thesis. MF wouldn't have sniffed this job if not for his, I would say it's fair to characterize as his superficial traits. And he just so happened to already be coaching at ND, as the DC, at the one school other than maybe Stanford, that they would feel like they died and gone to heaven at the prospect of hiring a dreamboat like Marcus Freeman. And then BK shockingly ups and leaves, and ND all of a sudden needs a coach....

Some people less cynical than myself I suppose might warmly acknowledge my thesis completely, but they would insist on one key difference, and point of emphasis. That yes, ND craves what MF possesses, there's just no denying it... and that yes MF is not really qualified for this job by any typical standard, and there were much more qualified candidates ND could have pursued, and probably successfully hired, like a Matt Campbell. But that the critical part of this coaching serendipity, and why ND made such a bold choice, is because they can absolutely perceive, on account of being around MF for a whole season, and getting a taste of his magic, that above and beyond his dreamy looks, youth and charm, that he does have the chops, he has all the substantive traits as well, and is not just a pretty face. And that's the only reason why no one else wanted to hire him. Because they don't know what ND knows.... And so they feel justified, at least somewhat, in making this eyebrow-raising choice.

Could easily be the case, but this is ND we're talking about, the same place that once hired Gerry Faust, because they were smitten, and unlike tOSU or some serious SEC program, are perfectly willing to go 8-4 if that's what it comes to. That does not mean MF will be a bust, of course, only to say that ND was willing to gamble that maybe he will emerge as some Dabo Swinnery type success, but whatever happens MF will now be and is ND football coach for the next several years, and that's really what they wanted. Come what may.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT