ADVERTISEMENT

Defense under Al Golden

Hmm, maybe. I think you could be improved and still lose to Ohio State. No disrespect to last year's Cincy and Okie State teams, but this year's OSU might be in a whole 'nother class.
Agree but the eye test will be telling. Our offense and secondary have looked putrid vs top 5 teams.
That needs to change and we’ll know Saturday

Agree but the eye test will be telling. Our offense and secondary have looked putrid vs top 5 teams.
That needs to change and we’ll know Saturday
and it won’t take long to find out. When your schedule is squishy, with long stretches of meh competition, as was in the recent past, and then the top teams go through the D like butter thru a goose, and teams shut down your offense, the only question is, ‘was it the schedule or was it the team’.

Jumping back into this thread. Check out the post Ohio state by 20 on the college football sound off board. . Read some of the Al Golden comments.

tough start for Golden! if tOSU goes on to hang 50 a game for-the season, starting with Saturday, fans will not be kind, not knowing before hand that that might be the case - it is basically ‘all in‘ for Golden Sat. night
This is the quintessential Pers post.

The Golden tenure is not dependent on week 1, game 1 @ tOSU, who boasts a historically good offense.

If they hang 50, and we get blown out……it’ll suck, but I won’t lose sleep. This is still a 10 or 11 win ND Team.

Pers…..you get better w age, my friend.

I haven’t read too much about Al Golden”s defense. From reading other boards and listening to their thoughts I haven’t heard too many good things. Like ?
“Bend but don’t break defense “
“Runs a 3-4 scheme “
“Very vanilla “
“Wait till it’s 3 and goal on the 2 and he calls a prevent D. “
“ not aggressive enough”
Sounds like Bob Diaco 2.0.
What have you guys heard ? And are you concerned at all ?
How many times did he play a team that averaged 49 points a game last year and is returning almost their entire offense, including three Heisman candidates?

This is the quintessential Pers post.

The Golden tenure is not dependent on week 1, game 1 @ tOSU, who boasts a historically good offense.

If they hang 50, and we get blown out……it’ll suck, but I won’t lose sleep. This is still a 10 or 11 win ND Team.

Pers…..you get better w age, my friend.
Absolutely agree. I feel golden will be good. Week one vs The best offense in cfb is not going to be the measuring stick.

We don't have lemons on D. We should have one of the best defenses in the country
We are playing one of the top wr groups in the country with two guys that have bad histories in big games playing them. Cornerback is still a major issue.

We are playing one of the top wr groups in the country with two guys that have bad histories in big games playing them. Cornerback is still a major issue.
Pretty much it will be a major issue for every team that plays against OSU. We are in better shape on D going into the game than 95 plus % of the teams in the country

Pretty much it will be a major issue for every team that plays against OSU. We are in better shape on D going into the game than 95 plus % of the teams in the country
Everything starts at lines and moves back and outwards. If our lines play well we don’t have to “manufacture” offense or defensive
Stops and we can be very unpredictable

Everything starts at lines and moves back and outwards. If our lines play well we don’t have to “manufacture” offense or defensive
Genius. It starts with the lines. I've never heard that one before

having a QB who has almost zero extended actual game experience in 2+ years is a bit more unpredictable than a fan wants to consider. Oh, it is the 1st reg season game in the Coaches career also! Better have tapped a keg!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT