ADVERTISEMENT

Defense under Al Golden

I stand rock solid by my thesis. MF wouldn't have sniffed this job if not for his, I would say it's fair to characterize as his superficial traits. And he just so happened to already be coaching at ND, as the DC, at the one school other than maybe Stanford, that they would feel like they died and gone to heaven at the prospect of hiring a dreamboat like Marcus Freeman. And then BK shockingly ups and leaves, and ND all of a sudden needs a coach....

Some people less cynical than myself I suppose might warmly acknowledge my thesis completely, but they would insist on one key difference, and point of emphasis. That yes, ND craves what MF possesses, there's just no denying it... and that yes MF is not really qualified for this job by any typical standard, and there were much more qualified candidates ND could have pursued, and probably successfully hired, like a Matt Campbell. But that the critical part of this coaching serendipity, and why ND made such a bold choice, is because they can absolutely perceive, on account of being around MF for a whole season, and getting a taste of his magic, that above and beyond his dreamy looks, youth and charm, that he does have the chops, he has all the substantive traits as well, and is not just a pretty face. And that's the only reason why no one else wanted to hire him. Because they don't know what ND knows.... And so they feel justified, at least somewhat, in making this eyebrow-raising choice.

Could easily be the case, but this is ND we're talking about, the same place that once hired Gerry Faust, because they were smitten, and unlike tOSU or some serious SEC program, are perfectly willing to go 8-4 if that's what it comes to. That does not mean MF will be a bust, of course, only to say that ND was willing to gamble that maybe he will emerge as some Dabo Swinnery type success, but whatever happens MF will now be and is ND football coach for the next several years, and that's really what they wanted. Come what may.....
So the 4 characteristicslisted about coach Freeman are not accurate???

Not one?????

Man, you gotta be joking about why you think ND hired Coach Freeman. Do you honestly believe it’s because of his looks???

So the 4 characteristicslisted about coach Freeman are not accurate???

Not one?????

Man, you gotta be joking about why you think ND hired Coach Freeman. Do you honestly believe it’s because of his looks???
In a nutshell, yes. I realize that someone like yourself is going struggle to process that, even as patiently as I've repeatedly laid it out for you. Of course MF might end up being a successful coach at ND, it's not like they plucked him off the street, from a talent agency or something. He is an actual football coach, so maybe this could end up an inspired move on ND's part. I've included the unlikely possibility that ND was keenly aware of how underqualified MF is for a job like this, but they're nevertheless convinced, solely on the merits as it were, the MF was best hire they could make. They saw him up close, and it doesn't matter about about any of that other stuff, they're honest to goodness convinced he's the top candidate they could have hired by all measures. So much so they didn't even need to interview anyone else.....

But that's wishcasting, I believe is the cool new neologism. And is not the truth. They took a chance on MF, who was a demonstrably lesser candidate than any number of other coaches they might have considered. And the way they see it, I feel confident surmising, if they're lucky he'll end up being a good or even great coach, and not just a handsome one.....

In a nutshell, yes. I realize that someone like yourself is going struggle to process that, even as patiently as I've repeatedly laid it out for you. Of course MF might end up being a successful coach at ND, it's not like they plucked him off the street, from a talent agency or something. He is an actual football coach, so maybe this could end up an inspired move on ND's part. I've included the unlikely possibility that ND was keenly aware of how underqualified MF is for a job like this, but they're nevertheless convinced, solely on the merits as it were, the MF was best hire they could make. They saw him up close, and it doesn't matter about about any of that other stuff, they're honest to goodness convinced he's the top candidate they could have hired by all measures. So much so they didn't even need to interview anyone else.....

But that's wishcasting, I believe is the cool new neologism. And is not the truth. They took a chance on MF, who was a demonstrably lesser candidate than any number of other coaches they might have considered. And the way they see it, I feel confident surmising, if they're lucky he'll end up being a good or even great coach, and not just a handsome one.....
Savvyandsassier.. you obviously lack discernment and vision MF is a high character guy, whose time has come!!!! you should probably start following LSU, you obviously idolize BK.. who is a great coach .. but to say the things you are saying is really ridiculous! Time will tell... ND will put up 35-38 on Ohio State... 🙏👍🏽🙌

Reactions: tbonesays

So weird

Savvyandsassier.. you obviously lack discernment and vision MF is a high character guy, whose time has come!!!! you should probably start following LSU, you obviously idolize BK.. who is a great coach .. but to say the things you are saying is really ridiculous! Time will tell... ND will put up 35-38 on Ohio State... 🙏👍🏽🙌
Well, yes, he has good character too. That's part of the package, most definitely. I didn't mean to leave that out. It's not just that he's some JC Penny's model looking guy. I thought I at least alluded to that with my repeated mention of his warmth, his youthful energy and charm, etc. It didn't really occur to me use the sappy term 'character', like he wouldn't cheat on his taxes or something. But it's true, he has good character as well. He's got it all! He's a great, great fit for ND, he's everything they could ever want in terms of personality, and general appeal. And if you would prefer to substitute 'character', for boyish good looks and charm, you go right ahead. It's just that the football part comes second....

They didn't even interview anyone else. There was no search. They wanted MF that badly. And it wasn't because of his football abilities. Not that he doesn't have any, mind you. It's just that it wasn't the priority. And if you can't see that, you are truly blind.....

Coach Freeman is not unqualified. I listed four characteristics that he has that are strong qualifications.

Who should be the HC at ND???

If you say guys like Ryan Day your crazy. He would not come to ND for the money they are paying Freeman. I also do not believe he is worthy of a top 3 coaching pay

Coach Freeman is not unqualified. I listed four characteristics that he has that are strong qualifications.

Who should be the HC at ND???

If you say guys like Ryan Day your crazy. He would not come to ND for the money they are paying Freeman. I also do not believe he is worthy of a top 3 coaching pay
If you really do want to put it that way.... anyone, literally anyone could have been a better hire. Or at least a more qualified hire. The only candidates less qualified would be other young rising coordinators, with similarly impressive but overall rather modest track records. And no HC experience, and their best trait they have to offer being the promise of their great but unproven talent, if you're willing to take the gamble....

So if you're trying to be charitable, and your ego is throbbing with such intensity that it's simply unacceptable to consider the scenario where ND hired MF for his looks and 'character' first, for his superficial appeal and cultural fit first and foremost, and the purely football part of it second.... you would attempt to describe and justify this hire by saying that ND quite naturally realizes all of MF's potential shortcomings, but they feel he's so talented and so gifted, that it was nevertheless no competition, and no coaching search was required. He hasn't proven himself yet, but ND is ahead of the curve on this one, and they had a perspective no other school had, by being able to see this guy up close, and to develop a real feeling for him. And like Jack D Ripper of Dr. Strangelove fame, they were able to properly interpret those feelings correctly, if you will....

And so they hired him! It's not as if hiring a young assistant is unprecedented, it definitely is not. But I merely insist that the reason this particular young assistant was promoted is for the reasons I've already given many times over by now. So while I don't think MF is a direct parallel to either Ryan Day or Lincoln Riley, and I compare his situation much more to Dabo Swinnery, you can at least thank those two other names for being sufficiently precedent-setting enough in recent memory, that perhaps ND felt secure enough to take this flyer on MF. Like they're just going with the latest trends, no better or worse than their peers at OU and tOSU....

With regard to your seeming insistence that who else could ND have possibly hired and to treat MF's hiring as almost as if it were a practical necessity, and irrespective of MF's merits or lack thereof, there really wasn't anyone else... Unfortunately, if you are trying to make that argument, then that's a level of intellectually vacuous stupidity and willfulness that I can't be a part of. My brain doesn't work that way. I hope you understand.

• Haha
Reactions: Golson5
If you really do want to put it that way.... anyone, literally anyone could have been a better hire. Or at least a more qualified hire. The only candidates less qualified would be other young rising coordinators, with similarly impressive but overall rather modest track records. And no HC experience, and their best trait they have to offer being the promise of their great but unproven talent, if you're willing to take the gamble....

So if you're trying to be charitable, and your ego is throbbing with such intensity that it's simply unacceptable to consider the scenario where ND hired MF for his looks and 'character' first, for his superficial appeal and cultural fit first and foremost, and the purely football part of it second.... you would attempt to describe and justify this hire by saying that ND quite naturally realizes all of MF's potential shortcomings, but they feel he's so talented and so gifted, that it was nevertheless no competition, and no coaching search was required. He hasn't proven himself yet, but ND is ahead of the curve on this one, and they had a perspective no other school had, by being able to see this guy up close, and to develop a real feeling for him. And like Jack D Ripper of Dr. Strangelove fame, they were able to properly interpret those feelings correctly, if you will....

And so they hired him! It's not as if hiring a young assistant is unprecedented, it definitely is not. But I merely insist that the reason this particular young assistant was promoted is for the reasons I've already given many times over by now. So while I don't think MF is a direct parallel to either Ryan Day or Lincoln Riley, and I compare his situation much more to Dabo Swinnery, you can at least thank those two other names for being sufficiently precedent-setting enough in recent memory, that perhaps ND felt secure enough to take this flyer on MF. Like they're just going with the latest trends, no better or worse than their peers at OU and tOSU....

With regard to your seeming insistence that who else could ND have possibly hired and to treat MF's hiring as almost as if it were a practical necessity, and irrespective of MF's merits or lack thereof, there really wasn't anyone else... Unfortunately, if you are trying to make that argument, then that's a level of intellectually vacuous stupidity and willfulness that I can't be a part of. My brain doesn't work that way. I hope you understand.
Nope, never said “no one else to hire”. Stop trying to read between the lines and answer the question.

Who do you believe should be the ND coach today?

Shoukd be the easiest question you will be asked all day.

Since Coach Freeman was a terrible hire, who should the ND HC be today?

Nope, never said “no one else to hire”. Stop trying to read between the lines and answer the question.

Who do you believe should be the ND coach today?

Shoukd be the easiest question you will be asked all day.

Since Coach Freeman was a terrible hire, who should the ND HC be today?
I think we're done here. I'm willing to humor this kind of idiocy from the likes of you, mainly because I just feel like posting. But don't get aggressive with me.

Well, yes, he has good character too. That's part of the package, most definitely. I didn't mean to leave that out. It's not just that he's some JC Penny's model looking guy. I thought I at least alluded to that with my repeated mention of his warmth, his youthful energy and charm, etc. It didn't really occur to me use the sappy term 'character', like he wouldn't cheat on his taxes or something. But it's true, he has good character as well. He's got it all! He's a great, great fit for ND, he's everything they could ever want in terms of personality, and general appeal. And if you would prefer to substitute 'character', for boyish good looks and charm, you go right ahead. It's just that the football part comes second....

They didn't even interview anyone else. There was no search. They wanted MF that badly. And it wasn't because of his football abilities. Not that he doesn't have any, mind you. It's just that it wasn't the priority. And if you can't see that, you are truly blind.....
The lack of discernment and vision are noted! When the man is in the building already... you don't need to interview anyone else. the football part is definitely first.... this coaching staff is head and shoulders above anything Brian Kelly brought in!

Reactions: Zorich 88
The lack of discernment and vision are noted! When the man is in the building already... you don't need to interview anyone else. the football part is definitely first.... this coaching staff is head and shoulders above anything Brian Kelly brought in!
Well that's the question you gotta ask yourself. Or you don't have to, obviously none of you are engaging in any such self-examination in the slightest. Which is fine, this is the fun time before reality sets in, for better or worse.

But it is a rather curious situation. My thesis is certainly correct. You'd have to be actively in utter denial of reality to think otherwise, and be without even the slightest appreciation of the ND football culture. It's almost not possible to coherently make a statement, and a critique on how MF improbably got the ND job, without factoring in his, shall we say, his 'character', as what it is that got him the job, and that it was not his football coaching chops strictly speaking. Other than just spitting out a bunch of pabulum, referencing his work ethic, and his 'game prep'....

And it's not really all that uncomplimentary to MF. It's not that he's a bad coach, only that how good a coach he is or not is not why he was hired. But it's a package deal. If you want all of that charisma, and for ND's brand to be bathed in it, then you gotta bite the bullet..... Anyway, I suppose this subject has run its course.

Oh joy. I take a month off and savvy is back.
Yeah, you and me both. That's kind of the reason I started posting. Not really, mainly because the season's about to start. I figured you had been banned, which it appears you were. Or like the desperate troll you are, that you'd just moved on to something else. Some other message board somewhere, in some other guise....

And it was a pleasant surprise. But it's not to be, it turns out... Well I guess MF's big rookie season at ND just wouldn't be the same without your nonstop overwrought, paranoid blathering. If MF sucks, and we go 8-4 or even 7-5 or worse, it'll be a trip watching you in particular doing damage control, or totally wigging out, or who knows what. A lot of you guys, as fans, have a shit ton riding on MF not embarrassing himself....

• Haha
Reactions: IrishBeer
Yeah, you and me both. That's kind of the reason I started posting. Not really, mainly because the season's about to start. I figured you had been banned, which it appears you were. Or like the desperate troll you are, that you'd just moved on to something else. Some other message board somewhere, in some other guise....

And it was a pleasant surprise. But it's not to be, it turns out... Well I guess MF's big rookie season at ND just wouldn't be the same without your nonstop overwrought, paranoid blathering. If MF sucks, and we go 8-4 or even 7-5 or worse, it'll be a trip watching you in particular doing damage control, or totally wigging out, or who knows what. A lot of you guys, as fans, have a shit ton riding on MF not embarrassing himself....
“A shit ton riding”? Not really. We’re all just fans dude.

If ND goes 6-6….the sun will still come up the next day. I’ll still be optimistic and predict 11-1 the next season. If MF is bad….my life doesn’t change too much. Saturday’s will just be less fun. I’ll live.

Yep! And when ND GOES 11-1 or 12-0 ... you will be the first to jump on the MF bandwagon...

Reactions: IrishMike409

If ND goes 6-6….the sun will still come up the next day. I’ll still be optimistic and predict 11-1 the next season. If MF is bad….my life doesn’t change too much. Saturday’s will just be less fun. I’ll live.
If he goes six and six he gets two years to turn that around or he should be showing the door. I think he’ll do better than that.

Like hell you don't. Or rather, speak for yourself personally, if that's your own particular disposition towards all this shit. And you do seem more low key than certainly the rest of this board, and the rest of the online ND fan world at large, which is utterly, utterly invested in MF. I mean UTTERLY.... invested in the success of MF.

And I'm the one for whom Saturdays will be probably be less fun. Not you. ND football has been ruined for me, and probably a small minority of other fans who also hate how all this shit has gone down, but just quietly accept it, not much else to do about it. And I like MF, he's awesome. Who doesn't like MF? That's why he got hired, because he's awesome, and he's got like, downright superstar, celebrity levels of personal charisma, like I've been saying.... But unless we make the playoff and nothing less, Saturdays will damn straight be less fun.

So there ain't gonna be any pre-game, preseason disclaimers, and it's all just fun and games, easy come easy go.... It's way too late for that. I mean obviously not! And if MF does struggle you can expect the national media and pundit class to DESTROY ND. Because everybody noticed how insane, and almost weirdly spiteful and malicious ND's fans have become, even by ND's normal standards for unfounded arrogance. And they will take the opportunity to rub it in our faces. If we somehow go something like 7-5 this year, it will be a season-long, unending roasting of ND football.....

Like hell you don't. Or rather, speak for yourself personally, if that's your own particular disposition towards all this shit. And you do seem more low key than certainly the rest of this board, and the rest of the online ND fan world at large, which is utterly, utterly invested in MF. I mean UTTERLY.... invested in the success of MF.

And I'm the one for whom Saturdays will be probably be less fun. Not you. ND football has been ruined for me, and probably a small minority of other fans who also hate how all this shit has gone down, but just quietly accept it, not much else to do about it. And I like MF, he's awesome. Who doesn't like MF? That's why he got hired, because he's awesome, and he's got like, downright superstar, celebrity levels of personal charisma, like I've been saying.... But unless we make the playoff and nothing less, Saturdays will damn straight be less fun.

So there ain't gonna be any pre-game, preseason disclaimers, and it's all just fun and games, easy come easy go.... It's way too late for that. I mean obviously not! And if MF does struggle you can expect the national media and pundit class to DESTROY ND. Because everybody noticed how insane, and almost weirdly spiteful and malicious ND's fans have become, even by ND's normal standards for unfounded arrogance. And they will take the opportunity to rub it in our faces. If we somehow go something like 7-5 this year, it will be a season-long, unending roasting of ND football.....
I get it. Personally, Bears and largely the NFL have been ruined for me. Makes it so much less fun.

But truly, this team isn’t going 7-5. No damn chance. This, is a 10-2 or 11-1 team. If 1 of the young WRs steps up (DC or Thomas or Merriweather), then watch out. This team is loaded with talent.

I get it. Personally, Bears and largely the NFL have been ruined for me. Makes it so much less fun.

But truly, this team isn’t going 7-5. No damn chance. This, is a 10-2 or 11-1 team. If 1 of the young WRs steps up (DC or Thomas or Merriweather), then watch out. This team is loaded with talent.
I hope you're right. I'm not expecting some total collapse either. But I really don't know what to think. We'll find out soon enough.

And I do happen to think MF could end up being a successful coach, and a winning coach. I'm not down on the guy. Very intrigued, and really don't know what to think with a coach this young, and this much of an unknown quantity, with such a sudden ascension to a position like this. Like maybe he has it in him to be a great HC, but this is too much, too soon. But if you can't see how ND was most definitely completely enamored of him, and thus took a chance they wouldn't have otherwise, on a fairly impressive, but not that impressive young assistant coach, because they wanted to be part of that MF magic, then you're not paying attention...

I'm mainly wondering about the offense. Tommy Rees is free to call any plays he wants, and doesn't have to look over his shoulder. It's all on his shoulders now. He's also extremely young to be in this position.

tough start for Golden! if tOSU goes on to hang 50 a game for-the season, starting with Saturday, fans will not be kind, not knowing before hand that that might be the case - it is basically ‘all in‘ for Golden Sat. night

tough start for Golden! if tOSU goes on to hang 50 a game for-the season, starting with Saturday, fans will not be kind, not knowing before hand that that might be the case - it is basically ‘all in‘ for Golden Sat. night
meh. Everyone thinks we will get blown out. I don't think anyone will blame the DC for not making lemons into limoncello the first day.

meh. Everyone thinks we will get blown out. I don't think anyone will blame the DC for not making lemons into limoncello the first day.
D is supposed to be strength of team. If osu carves us up heads should role.

If ND loses to Ohio State and Freeman starts 0-2, it will be interesting to see if his honeymoon with the fans continues. Maybe a close loss and the Irish fans are able to shrug and write off the loss to a team that is thought to be head and shoulders better than everyone outside of Bama and possibly Georgia. But a three TD loss and the grumbling will begin...

If ND loses to Ohio State and Freeman starts 0-2, it will be interesting to see if his honeymoon with the fans continues. Maybe a close loss and the Irish fans are able to shrug and write off the loss to a team that is thought to be head and shoulders better than everyone outside of Bama and possibly Georgia. But a three TD loss and the grumbling will begin...
Amongst the ignorant fans

Everyone knows the Irish D is strong up front and **questionable** in the rear. And that Ohio State has 5* receivers.
Okay. That's not lemons. We also have 2 studs in the secondary and a ton of experience.

OSU wrs outside of Njigba haven't done anything really in college.

We are not some trash D that Golden is taking over. We got a lot of pros and a lot of experience

It will be clear in a few days if we’ve improved or not under freeman. If we’ve improved then this season is 11-1 and 10-2 at absolute worst.

So you mean it will take about 3 months to find that out
No… just like freeman said. You’ll know where ND football is at Saturday night. If we belong on the field with osu im confident we’ll go 11-1 or 10-2 at worst.

No… just like freeman said. You’ll know where ND football is at Saturday night. If we belong on the field with osu im confident we’ll go 11-1 or 10-2 at worst.
And if we got blown out against OSU but go 11 and 1, whats your answer to that?

Your point is silly. We almost lost to fsu and toledo in first 2 games last year.

This game is 1 game. Win or lose still gotta win throughout the year

Reactions: tbonesays
And if we got blown out against OSU but go 11 and 1, whats your answer to that?

Your point is silly. We almost lost to fsu and toledo in first 2 games last year.

This game is 1 game. Win or lose still gotta win throughout the year
If we get blown out and go 11-1 it would probably feel like a Kelly season. Also probably means Clemson overrated.

im not expecting us to win but at minimum look the part. Both dline and oline could dominate. Is secondary finally improved? Do we have a talented qb finally.

If we get blown out and go 11-1 it would probably feel like a Kelly season. Also probably means Clemson overrated.

im not expecting us to win but at minimum look the part. Both dline and oline could dominate. Is secondary finally improved? Do we have a talented qb finally.
Your making a lot of silly assumptions.

It will be clear in a few days if we’ve improved or not under freeman. If we’ve improved then this season is 11-1 and 10-2 at absolute worst.

Hmm, maybe. I think you could be improved and still lose to Ohio State. No disrespect to last year's Cincy and Okie State teams, but this year's OSU might be in a whole 'nother class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT