ADVERTISEMENT

Dear every poster that is against the Freeman hire

His coaching also got us the lead. First game 2 point loss to a top team. Not bad at all
Las Vegas odds makers ALL had Notre Dame was FAVORED TO WIN THAT GAME

YOU KNOW NOTHING SBOUT FOOTBALL !

His coaching also got us the lead. First game 2 point loss to a top team. Not bad at all
I though that Rees was the Offensive Coordinator, not Freeman.

Wasn’t Freeman a Defensive Coordinator ?
Isn’t DEFENSE his specialty ?
Then how did he allow OSU to rack up over 600 yards, 400+ coming in the second half.
Why did he fail to make Defensive adjustments ?

“You knew for days”
Interesting And total B.S.
Swarbrick announced Kelly’s resignation on November 30 and 4 days later announced that Freeman was appointed HC, but you knew for days that Freeman was going to be the new HC.

So, tell us, how did you KNOW ?
And, how much have you contributed to the University of Notre Dame ?
I quoted your lunacy repeatedly back when it occurred. You crossed so many lines with people at the time with your half witted comments that a few call out threads were started specifically to mock your toolishness.

I suppose I could dig them back up if you provoke the situation, they are always good for a laugh however you and 4-4-3 are already providing laughs aplenty in this thread so putting in that effort doesn’t feel warranted

I quoted your lunacy repeatedly back when it occurred. You crossed so many lines with people at the time with your half witted comments that a few call out threads were started specifically to mock your toolishness.

I suppose I could dig them back up if you provoke the situation, they are always good for a laugh however you and 4-4-3 are already providing laughs aplenty in this thread so putting in that effort doesn’t feel warranted
YOU DELIBERATELY AVOIDED ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS

YOU STATED THAT YOU “KNEW, THAT FREEMAN WAS NAMED HC, DAYS BEFORE THE DECEMBER 4th ANNOUNCEMENT BY SWARBRICK”

SO TELL US, HOW DID YOU KNOW ?
WHAT WAS YOUR INSIDE.SOURCE ?

AND, HOW MUCH HAVE YOU CONTRIBUTED YO THE UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAM ?

Like I said, you don't seem like an idiot. So it's not stupidity on your part. Quite obviously it's dishonesty. You're sincere about one thing, you want to bash BK. That part is real and genuine. But your reasoning for justifying your verbal attacks and slanders is just some bullshit you pull out of the ether. It's not real criticism, it's just gibberish.

Some of you haters are better or worse at cloaking what is merely your own unholy personal animosity. You're failing in this regard. Your reasoning is so weak that it becomes uncomfortably transparent that all you really want to do is bash the guy. Not because he sucks, or is a bum, and has let the program down. That would be nonsense. Nonsense beyond the reach of so-called opinion, and his performance as ND football coach might as well be impeccable as far as you're concerned.

It would be akin to something like saying The Shaggs are better songwriters than Bob Dylan. You can call it your opinion and swear you really mean it, but it's still just gibberish. Meaningless gibberish. Not much different than your strident insistences that ND is now better positioned to win a championship without BK. Or that BK never would have won a championship as ND football coach, on the basis of this mythical ceiling you're claiming he's hit, when the exact opposite would be the case.

Anyway, I'm wasting my time, naturally. You're a two-bit BK hater, a dime a dozen on these boards. And the prospect of you admitting to that, no matter how patently obvious, is right about zero point zero. But it still gets me.
Offering is not admitting. How many actually came? Very few, correct? And certainly not as many as the dominant SEC schools whose hit ratio if your numbers are correct, is far better than ND's.

Why is this?

Because ND insists players must also be students. It's a noble aspiration, but it doesn't produce the best players. As I've said elsewhere, among those with their eyes on the NFL, who needs calculus?

Only if ND starts letting in more "UNQUALIFIED" candidates will it AGAIN produce the DOMINANT players in the game. Fewer and fewer skill players from ND become impact players in the NFL as compared to former years.

And I've been following football since the mid-1950's. The last TRULY GREAT ND QB to play in the NFL? JOE MONTANA. A guy recruited by Ara. Now, that's what I call SLIPPAGE.

What ND tries to do now is STAY COMPETITIVE ENOUGH to MAINTAIN BRAND CREDIBILITY. And that's what ND is more than a PROGRAM. It's PRINCIPALLY A BRAND and run like one.

And what do brands ultimately do? They SIMULATE their ORIGINAL authenticity. And that's a lot of Freeman's APPEAL. He's the PERSONIFICATION of a LOGO. Perfect for someone like Bryant Gumbel to do a show on.

One's already probably in the works.
Good point that even when we admit 5* and they come to ND, some of them fizzle out or transfer … ND is def not for someone who has zero interest in getting educated. That being said, with a better recruiter we can get a few 5* per year.

as for skill players in NFL I don’t think your right. QB we’ve been terrible but reality is there are 32 starting QBs in the NFL and the majority of them are stars and established veterans so in a given year maybe 1-3 QBs will get a serious chance to become an NFL starter. We’ve been very good at WR and TE and not completely missing from RB which quite frankly is a rotating door in the NFL with the pounding they take and the need for fresh legs.

I'm going save your posts and resurrect them in 5 years when LSU runs Kelly off and is forced to eat the remainder of his contract. We'll see how great Kelly is.

Many coaches could have achieved what Kelly has in the last 5 years at ND. The schedules were very soft, if you can't see that, then i can't help you. Sure it's not ND's fault that FSU, USC, Stanford, have been down, but the fact is they have been, and it's been easy sledding for Kelly.

I think Kelly will win at least one title at LSU. We will soon learn that we had a good coach. The college football world knows it. The ADs know it. The coaches know it. BK isn’t perfect, nobody is. However, he’s far better than 99% of coaches and certainly way better than the current head coach. He made 2 playoffs. We went 11-1, again. He made 1 NC game, went undefeated twice. Won coach of the year multiple times. The idiots on here will find out soon enough. Those that do not like him reference the bad losses. Freeman already lost the biggest lead in program history. Weis was horrendous. Willingham was horrendous. Davies was horrendous. What kind of perfection do you want? BK did as good as Saban would’ve done at ND. I get people not liking him personally, but anyone saying he wasn’t a top tier coach is simply stupid.

Last edited:
Not all the time no. And never won a big bowl game.

Cincinnati 21
Michigan 19
Miami 17

Not as talented as us. Many more in 16 and prior as well
Before 16 100% correct… 19 um very similar.
I’ll give ya Cincy and miami. Blunders by Kelly. Team wasn’t ready for all 3 though but big bowl game, 21 point lead, brutal.

I think Kelly will win at least one title at LSU. We will soon learn that we had a good coach. The college football world knows it. The ADs know it. The coaches know it. BK isn’t perfect, nobody is. However, he’s far better than 99% of coaches and certainly way better than the current head coach. He made 2 playoffs. We went 11-1, again. He made 1 NC game, went undefeated twice. Won coach of the year multiple times. The idiots on here will find out soon enough. Those that do not like him reference the bad losses. Freeman already lost the biggest lead in program history. Weis was horrendous. Willingham was horrendous. Davies was horrendous. What kind of perfection do you want? BK did as good as Saban would’ve done at ND. I get people not liking him personally, but anyone saying he wasn’t a top tier coach is simply stupid.
Good god at least use the Google if you don’t know something, don’t just make it up. The biggest blown lead in ND history was in 1991 vs Tennessee (led 31-7 and lost 34-35) by some other unknown flash in the pan coach named Holtz. Don’t be such a lazy poster … I guess for some people, if they have a narrative they just push it whether it’s true or not.

I though that Rees was the Offensive Coordinator, not Freeman.

Wasn’t Freeman a Defensive Coordinator ?
Isn’t DEFENSE his specialty ?
Then how did he allow OSU to rack up over 600 yards, 400+ coming in the second half.
Why did he fail to make Defensive adjustments ?
He wasn't calling the defense. He was the head coach. Thought you were aware of that

Before 16 100% correct… 19 um very similar.
I’ll give ya Cincy and miami. Blunders by Kelly. Team wasn’t ready for all 3 though but big bowl game, 21 point lead, brutal.
We weren't ready for Cincy, Michigan or Miami. And before 17 lost a ton to inferior teams. Brutal

All those games were bigger because we had a chance at the playoffs each year. Brutal

Such a big bowl game our top 2 players opted out.

Las Vegas odds makers ALL had Notre Dame was FAVORED TO WIN THAT GAME

YOU KNOW NOTHING SBOUT FOOTBALL !
Yeah we were huge 2 point favorites in that game. Vegas was about right. It was a 2 point game

They knew it would be close. Good call by them

YOU DELIBERATELY AVOIDED ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS

YOU STATED THAT YOU “KNEW, THAT FREEMAN WAS NAMED HC, DAYS BEFORE THE DECEMBER 4th ANNOUNCEMENT BY SWARBRICK”

SO TELL US, HOW DID YOU KNOW ?
WHAT WAS YOUR INSIDE.SOURCE ?

AND, HOW MUCH HAVE YOU CONTRIBUTED YO THE UNIVERSITY OF NOTRE DAM ?

He wasn't calling the defense. He was the head coach. Thought you were aware of that
He 1 million percent was involved in calling D… not every play but scheme wise 100000%. What was called wa a what freeman wanted. It’s the same crap we did all year. Mobile qbs destroyed us even if they couldn’t throw good .

Yeah we were huge 2 point favorites in that game. Vegas was about right. It was a 2 point game

They knew it would be close. Good call by them
It was two points because of freeman, would have been much more. Vegas even thought freeman impact wouldn’t be that bad.

He 1 million percent was involved in calling D… not every play but scheme wise 100000%. What was called wa a what freeman wanted. It’s the same crap we did all year. Mobile qbs destroyed us even if they couldn’t throw good .
Not sure where you are going with this, but scheme put JD Bertrand in position to end drives time after time and he simply made an all time awful effort to tackle or didn’t try at all. Same could be said for multiple other players who were put in an ideal spot to make a play and did not.

The bowl game was more about Jack Coan channeling classic Jack Coan for over 2 quarters and lacking play makers on defense than any scheme blunder.

Well
they couldn’t throw well
It’s an adverb
also what is 1 million percent?
<sigh>

Not sure where you are going with this, but scheme put JD Bertrand in position to end drives time after time and he simply made an all time awful effort to tackle or didn’t try at all. Same could be said for multiple other players who were put in an ideal spot to make a play and did not.

The bowl game was more about Jack Coan channeling classic Jack Coan for over 2 quarters and lacking play makers on defense than any scheme blunder.
Betrand had been missing a lot of tackles the 6 games leading into bowl. Having him be the one to make 1-1 tackles was a major schematic mistake.

Freemans scheme put betrand white and Lewis on islands…. Stupid

Betrand had been missing a lot of tackles the 6 games leading into bowl. Having him be the one to make 1-1 tackles was a major schematic mistake.

Freemans scheme put betrand white and Lewis on islands…. Stupid
What? Many of the Bertrand misses were in a contained pocket where he essentially had to shoot fish in a barrel and he missed the barrel completely!

I think Coan played quite well. Bertrand did miss some key opportunities to make plays but not because of lack of effort. I happen to think part of it is coaching.

I do think there were some schematic issues and a good coach like Gundy was able to rip it apart. There were a couple of awful play calls and not just because it didn’t work.

OKS missed some opportunities in the first half on offense as well that had nothing to do with Notre Dame playing well. If I’m being fair, I’d say this was more like a 55-60 point game that ND allowed on defense.

If BK were still here, we’d all be bitching about MFs defense.

I think Coan played quite well. Bertrand did miss some key opportunities to make plays but not because of lack of effort. I happen to think part of it is coaching.

I do think there were some schematic issues and a good coach like Gundy was able to rip it apart. There were a couple of awful play calls and not just because it didn’t work.

OKS missed some opportunities in the first half on offense as well that had nothing to do with Notre Dame playing well. If I’m being fair, I’d say this was more like a 55-60 point game that ND allowed on defense.
What part of Coans play from mid second quarter to late fourth quarter did you appreciate the most? Help me find the quite well there?

What part of Coans play from mid second quarter to late fourth quarter did you appreciate the most? Help me find the quite well there?
Accurate throws. Getting rid of the ball quickly in order to not take a sack. The only real issue I saw from him was inaccurate fade routes a few times but those aren’t gimmes and maybe he didn’t want to risk throwing it up for grabs.

Just because ND didn’t score points doesn’t mean Coan played poorly. Watch the second half again and see how accurate his throws are…its just that the receivers are well covered.

Hats off to OKS for playing well on defense too.

I don’t disagree with anything in your first paragraph.

But remember that it includes “Jimbo can get players through the door that Kelly couldn’t.” THAT’s A MOUTHFUL. Particularly if you mean it the way I do – that it wasn’t a Kelly problem but an ND problem. Because ND set the parameters, right? And STILL DOES.

What some of us are doing now -- and have been forever -- is REFUSING TO NEGOTIATE WITH OURSELVES regarding ND’s ongoing balancing act. It’s simple. Certain conditions are beyond our control and highly unlikely to change.

While you alluded to the admissions/academics issue – which as I see it, is the GOVERNING REALITY in all of ND football – you then started negotiating -- or was it bargaining -- in your second paragraph around a number of POTENTIAL CIRCUMSTANCES which if they’d only fall ND’s way, would allow it to win an NC anyway.

This is what I mean by COGNITIVE DISSONANCE. On the one hand, you recognize that the NECESSARY CONDITION for ND to compete each year for an NC is NOT BEING FULLY MET but then immediately start trying to chip away at your own ACKNOWLEDGEMENT.

Do you see what I’m saying? Or am I missing something?

And what is your reasoning? To me, it’s no more than your continuing desire for an outcome that AT THE MOMENT ISN’T AVAILABLE. Nor may it EVER be.

Unless you think that Freeman will be able to BRING IN PLAYERS ND DIDN’T LET KELLY HAVE. Honestly, though, I wonder if ND hasn't already let up somewhat on admissions as the talent level, TO MY EYE, has increased appreciably since 2016.

And if true, why would that be? Did Kelly have a successful sit-down with ND’s Admin after his 4-8 debacle? Who knows? And might Freeman be able to make his own push? Again, who knows? But SOMETHING will have to give, or yours and others’ ongoing desire for more of those HOPED FOR OPTIMAL CIRCUMSTANCES will continue indefinitely.

In the meantime – and as far as we know – ND is still not PLAYER HEAVEN for the players the coaches WANT. And in that regard by the way, you’re not likely to get the IDEAL QB without what he'll want most: ALL OF THE ADDITIONAL PIECES. These guys want to play where the other UBER-PLAYERS are, and that's still in the SEC.

Unfortunately, CFB recruiting is often based on the LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR. Which is NOT a fondness for CALCULUS.

All of that said, my simply acknowledging what I see as ND FOOTBALL REALITY doesn’t make me a DEFEATIST. It simply points out that I have at least SOME common sense. BTW, I’ve never said that ND couldn’t catch lightning in a bottle and win an NC. The stars could align. But that’s what it would take: GOOD FORTUNE.

Yet, I just don’t see how the chances of experiencing that GOOD FORTUNE increased by hiring the UNTESTED Marcus Freeman. Those of us who opposed his hire were in no way rooting against ND. We simply see him as a POTENTIALLY SERIOUS MISTAKE. Not to mention it pointing to a STEP BACKWARDS as a) a program and b) in terms of how these decisions still seem to get made.

It’s just that simple. We see Freeman as the WRONG BET ON THE WRONG HORSE.

Cognitive dissonance? Really? Thanks for the psycho analysis, but I don't need it. To the contrary, my beliefs about where ND football is and how it will get back to the top are in complete harmony. YOU see academics and admissions as an insurmountable barrier; I do not. While they pose a challenge, they also are a part of what sets ND apart from other schools.

As I stated in the post to which you are responding, I think ND football is very close to getting where it needs to go. If we can recruit some better players at the CB position, our defense will be ready to compete with the other elite teams. Our DL play is first rate; our LBs this year were not great, but we have some studs in the pipeline. Getting Brandon Joseph was huge. While he may not be a Kyle Hamilton, I expect he will be very good. I think Cam Hart is a serviceable CB, but Clarence Lewis (as the Fiesta Bowl made clear) is not ready for the bright lights. Where we are lacking is at the playmaker positions on offense. Can we recruit better players there? MF is going to have his work cut out. And TR will have to step up his game. In another post somewhere you noted that Joe Montana was the last great ND QB to play in the NFL. Why hasn't ND recruited better at the QB position? Do you really think that is an admissions issue? I don't. That is a recruiting issue. And at the QB position it isn't always a matter of getting the 5* kid to come to ND. There are lots of diamonds in the rough out there; you just have to identify them. That takes hard work by your recruiters. Look at Lamar Jackson and Patrick Mahomes. They were not highly rated prospects coming out of HS, but certainly they were developed in college (with Jackson becoming a Heisman finalist) and are now star NFL QBs.

You state that HS kids want to play where the other "UBER-PLAYERS" are, and that is in the SEC. How is that an admissions problem for ND? Isn't that a conference membership problem? ND is never going to join the SEC. Our pitch to players has to be that when you come to ND you are still going to play some games on the big stage. The truth is that Bama only plays 2 or 3 challenging games every season. That is the reality of SEC football.

You think MF is a bad hire and that the hiring process itself was flawed. I respect your opinion on that issue. I just disagree with it.

Accurate throws. Getting rid of the ball quickly in order to not take a sack. The only real issue I saw from him was inaccurate fade routes a few times but those aren’t gimmes and maybe he didn’t want to risk throwing it up for grabs.

Just because ND didn’t score points doesn’t mean Coan played poorly. Watch the second half again and see how accurate his throws are…its just that the receivers are well covered.

Hats off to OKS for playing well on defense too.
So in your opinion from the 1:16 a of the second quarter until the 1:05 mark of the 4th quarter Jack Coan played quite well?

2 turnovers
6 drives of 5 plays or less
Countless plays he simply gave up on because he was forced to uproot his feet and scramble
Missed receivers
Missed throws

Come on! The guy folded like a tent for two quarters and let his defense hang out to dry.
Quite well!?

So in your opinion from the 1:16 a of the second quarter until the 1:05 mark of the 4th quarter Jack Coan played quite well?

2 turnovers
6 drives of 5 plays or less
Countless plays he simply gave up on because he was forced to uproot his feet and scramble
Missed receivers
Missed throws

Come on! The guy folded like a tent for two quarters and let his defense hang out to dry.
Quite well!?
Its a team game. The INT was a bad one. I’ll give ya that although I understand why he made the decision. The fumble by Diggs had nothing to do with Coan. You’re citing drives. Can you definitively say that the drives sputtered because of Coan’s play?

Have you watched the game since Jan 1? I’ve rewatched multiple times. You’re using the fact that the ND offense didn’t score to make the claim that Coan played poorly. I’m using the fact that I spent the time to dissect what happened and claiming that he didn’t play poorly based off of my observations.

Rewatch the game and look at how accurate he was and quick in making decisions.

Jack has been at this for awhile and he knows a low probability event is not a zero pos
Well if we want to dig up threads I did know it was Freeman for days while you continued to make a fool out of yourself misinterpreting his press conference
Offering is not admitting. How many actually came? Very few, correct? And certainly not as many as the dominant SEC schools whose hit ratio if your numbers are correct, is far better than ND's.

Why is this?

Because ND insists players must also be students. It's a noble aspiration, but it doesn't produce the best players. As I've said elsewhere, among those with their eyes on the NFL, who needs calculus?

Only if ND starts letting in more "UNQUALIFIED" candidates will it AGAIN produce the DOMINANT players in the game. Fewer and fewer skill players from ND become impact players in the NFL as compared to former years.

And I've been following football since the mid-1950's. The last TRULY GREAT ND QB to play in the NFL? JOE MONTANA. A guy recruited by Ara. Now, that's what I call SLIPPAGE.

What ND tries to do now is STAY COMPETITIVE ENOUGH to MAINTAIN BRAND CREDIBILITY. And that's what ND is more than a PROGRAM. It's PRINCIPALLY A BRAND and run like one.

And what do brands ultimately do? They SIMULATE their ORIGINAL authenticity. And that's a lot of Freeman's APPEAL. He's the PERSONIFICATION of a LOGO. Perfect for someone like Bryant Gumbel to do a show on.

One's already probably in the works.
Of course not many came but I attribute this to sub par recruiting and not an inability to recruit these kids. Offering is not admitting but that applies to every other school I mentioned too. I stated in another post my nieces HS boyfriend was recruited/attended and played at ND within the last 6 years and i know exactly what his scores were. it‘s an insult to the average student who busted tail to gain admissions. He added , with all the “ help” you get it’s almost impossible to flunk out. ‘the #’s certainly attest to that. Bottom line is we can go after a ton of guys. How many top 250 guys did we get this year? How many schools got more?

Reactions: 4-4-3
What? Many of the Bertrand misses were in a contained pocket where he essentially had to shoot fish in a barrel and he missed the barrel completely!
Oh agree but he kept dropping sea i to coverage and blitzing betrand and white …. Foskey frichan dropped into coverage a lot let that sink in

Often times the first pitch is the best ball of an at bat to hit, and the odds of getting on base let alone hitting a home run decrease significantly with every strike you watch go by.

In this situation Jack Swarbrick has the only call to make, it’s his at bat, and he is a fastball hitter who saw what he liked on the first pitch of the count. Time will tell if he hit a home run not this thread. Though I can assure you your call has been noted.

At the end of the day many of us are happy Jack took a full swing at what he felt was his pitch, and didn’t take the best pitch of this at bat looking or worse yet strike out looking while working a quality at bat after fouling a few off.
I don't think old Babe Swarbrick had ever seen a pitch that fast.

He swung with his eyes closed.

And, yes, we'll see if he actually made contact.

Reactions: NDDadx3
Good god at least use the Google if you don’t know something, don’t just make it up. The biggest blown lead in ND history was in 1991 vs Tennessee (led 31-7 and lost 34-35) by some other unknown flash in the pan coach named Holtz. Don’t be such a lazy poster … I guess for some people, if they have a narrative they just push it whether it’s true or not.
Please don’t remind me, I was at that game and we were about to go up by even more.

That was a painful day.

Wasn‘t our FG kicker injured

First, you don’t know if he was involved in calling the defense.

But, let’s assume you’re correct, that he wasn’t calling the defense.

if that was the case, that makes it even worse.

As HC when he saw the defense faltering he should have immediately stepped in and adjusted the defense by making the necessary changes.

He’s a defensive specialist, so seeing that the defense was failing he should have known how to fix it.

YET, he remained silent, he did nothing to adjust the defense.

and you call that good coaching ?

Jack has been at this for awhile and he knows a low probability event is not a zero pos

Of course not many came but I attribute this to sub par recruiting and not an inability to recruit these kids. Offering is not admitting but that applies to every other school I mentioned too. I stated in another post my nieces HS boyfriend was recruited/attended and played at ND within the last 6 years and i know exactly what his scores were. it‘s an insult to the average student who busted tail to gain admissions. He added , with all the “ help” you get it’s almost impossible to flunk out. ‘the #’s certainly attest to that. Bottom line is we can go after a ton of guys. How many top 250 guys did we get this year? How many schools got more?

Your information is consistent with what I have personally been told by a former assistant provost of admissions.

Okay, so this raises the question. And I'm genuinely asking because I SIMPLY DON'T KNOW.

HOW MUCH OF THE ND STUDENT-ATHLETE RHETORIC BEARS OUT?

Is ND ALSO admitting athletes preferentially -- or at least trying to -- through some sort of hocus pocus? Do they simply do it more cleverly or on a lesser scale? Is there a kind of kid out there -- and in some abundance -- who while quite athletic and brawny, ALSO PACKS ABOVE-AVERAGE INTELLIGENCE?

Has ND simply failed to CORNER THAT MARKET despite having the resources and UNIQUE RATIONALE to do so?

On the other hand, was Brian Kelly LYING on an ND NATION interview I listened to several times two years ago, when he said that there was NO WAY HE COULD RECRUIT TOP-FIVE CLASSES and MULTIPLE FIVE-STARS?

I thought Kelly was CORRECT. I believed him. It sounded LOGICAL. But then I hear all of these STORIES of what the "REAL DEAL" is and if not for "LAZY RECRUITING" -- which has always sounded to me like the CHILDISHLY INSISTENT CYRING IN THEIR BEER OVER IMAGINED LOST OPPORTUNITIES -- ND would be getting all of these great wunderkind players.

All I can go by is what I see. And in the almost 30 years since Lou Holtz left, ND football has never achieved the kind of PLAYER DOMINANCE it once enjoyed.

What in your view is EXACTLY the problem? Has EVERY COACH since Holtz been a LAZY RECRUITER? OR did ND simply not want a lot of these kids or VICE VERSA.

Is it your view -- or anyone else's -- that ND CAN, USING ITS OWN STANDARDS, LEGITIMATELY FIELD -- POUND FOR POUND, MAN FOR MAN AND RESERVE FOR RESERVE -- A TEAM AS IDENTICALLY STRONG AS BAMA'S OR GEORGIA'S?

My view is clear. That ND SUFFERS FROM A RESTRICTED TALENT POOL. But are you saying that it DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY? And to improve its talent pool wouldn't require ND to violate its own principles? Seriously, is that what you're saying?

Because if you are, that would be NEWS to me. But then, as I say, the more I listen to these STORIES, the more I HAVE NO IDEA.

Top 25 defenses past 4 years

Okay, so this raises the question. And I'm genuinely asking because I SIMPLY DON'T KNOW.

HOW MUCH OF THE ND STUDENT-ATHLETE RHETORIC BEARS OUT?

Is ND ALSO admitting athletes preferentially -- or at least trying to -- through some sort of hocus pocus? Do they simply do it more cleverly or on a lesser scale? Is there a kind of kid out there -- and in some abundance -- who while quite athletic and brawny, ALSO PACKS ABOVE-AVERAGE INTELLIGENCE?

Has ND simply failed to CORNER THAT MARKET despite having the resources and UNIQUE RATIONALE to do so?

On the other hand, was Brian Kelly LYING on an ND NATION interview I listened to several times two years ago, when he said that there was NO WAY HE COULD RECRUIT TOP-FIVE CLASSES and MULTIPLE FIVE-STARS?

I thought Kelly was CORRECT. I believed him. It sounded LOGICAL. But then I hear all of these STORIES of what the "REAL DEAL" is and if not for "LAZY RECRUITING" -- which has always sounded to me like the CHILDISHLY INSISTENT CYRING IN THEIR BEER OVER IMAGINED LOST OPPORTUNITIES -- ND would be getting all of these great wunderkind players.

All I can go by is what I see. And in the almost 30 years since Lou Holtz left, ND football has never achieved the kind of PLAYER DOMINANCE it once enjoyed.

What in your view is EXACTLY the problem? Has EVERY COACH since Holtz been a LAZY RECRUITER? OR did ND simply not want a lot of these kids or VICE VERSA.

Is it your view -- or anyone else's -- that ND CAN, USING ITS OWN STANDARDS, LEGITIMATELY FIELD -- POUND FOR POUND, MAN FOR MAN AND RESERVE FOR RESERVE -- A TEAM AS IDENTICALLY STRONG AS BAMA'S OR GEORGIA'S?

My view is clear. That ND SUFFERS FROM A RESTRICTED TALENT POOL. But are you saying that it DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY? And to improve its talent pool wouldn't require ND to violate its own principles? Seriously, is that what you're saying?

Because if you are, that would be NEWS to me. But then, as I say, the more I listen to these STORIES, the more I HAVE NO IDEA.

Here is my take: the answer is somewhat nuanced. As rionegro has stated, the average football player that ND recruits would likely not be admitted as a student were it not for the fact that he didn't play football. So yes, the admissions standard for football players at ND is somewhat relaxed. I have been told as much by a person who served as the assistant provost of admissions for more than a decade. (We were on a friendly basis from playing an occasional round of golf together, and that is how those discussions occurred.) As someone else has pointed out, we aren't recruiting Rhodes Scholars to play football at ND. And as rionegro has also pointed out, athletes at ND (not just football players) are given all kinds of academic assistance so that they can keep enrolled.

That said, I suspect that admissions standards for football players at some of the football factories (Bama, UGA, TAMU, etc.) are also relaxed. As public universities, their admissions standards for students in the general student body are simply not as rigorous. Even with that, I suspect some of the players that are let in can barely read. In fact, I suspect there are more than a few that cannot read at all. Remember the scandal with UNC's basketball program a few years ago? One of their star players, Rashad McCants, made the Dean's list with straight A's DESPITE not having attended a single class:

I suspect (but admittedly have no actual evidence) that some of this same kind of monkey business goes on at some of the football factory schools. We have all seen post-game interviews of football players. Generally speaking, kids that go to ND comport themselves very well: they are well spoken and can speak in coherent sentences. Kids at some of the football factory schools are another story, however. Many of them are unable to articulate a coherent thought. That, of course, is a little thing, but I think it speaks to the kind of athlete that some of the football factory schools are admitting.

The biggest difference probably lies in the fact that ND expects it student athletes to go to class, and they are not enrolled in "special" programs created for athletes. You have mentioned the calculus requirement; I believe that still exists, though someone can correct me if I am wrong. I suppose some kids are turned off by the fact that they will actually have to attend class at ND. Does that mean, as Brian Kelly famously said, that we are shopping down a different aisle? Maybe, but my personal view is that the recruiting disadvantage presented by ND's admissions and academic standards is probably overblown. And if there is a disadvantage, it is, as you have pointed out, a self-imposed one. (It is also one that I am perfectly OK with.)

So to answer the question you pose as to whether ND suffers from a restricted talent pool, I suppose the answer is a conditional "yes," but the restrictions may not be as crippling as you think them to be.

YOU DON’T HAVE A CLUE AS TO HOW KELLY WOULD HAVE PERFORMED!, NONE OF US DO.

PLEASE STOP, YOU’RE MAKING A FOOL OF YOURSELF WITH YOUR ABSURD POSTS.
You need to stop screaming, really you look like a fool using all caps, how old are you?
You are the idiot. My assumption of Kelly has more validity than yours of Freeman. I have 12 years of data points to prove it, you have all of one game to prove you're right about Freeman. Talk about clueless, you're a complete moron.

Reactions: Golson5
I only bet on things where I a) can DIRECTLY INFLUENCE THE OUTCOME or b) have SOLID INSIDE KNOWLEDGE.

I have no idea what will happen with Kelly at LSU. Too many VARIABLES. Nor do YOU know. So, I'd advise you NOT to make that bet either.

But what about my MY question to you? Did LSU hire the wrong guy? Was the better hire Marcus Freeman? Did LSU pass on ND's REMARKABLE GOOD FORTUNE?

You're implicitly saying they whiffed on Kelly.
All i'm saying is if you are so confident back it up.

He won't last 5 years. He will get curb stomped by Saban every year, and he'll be lucky to beat A&M. That's 2 losses/year right there. throw in his annual WTF games and he's a 9-3 coach in the SEC. No team makes the playoffs let alone wins a title with 2-3 losses.

Seriously, he couldn't even beat a G5 Cincinnati team that had far less talent than ND.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT