ADVERTISEMENT

Crickets

This bozo will just ignore my challenge and move on thinking no one will notice. Go through yesterday's game thread. Go through the previous week. Go through the season so far. Now, supply all the positive upbeat comments about the program and players. This young person won't touch this response with a ten foot pole. There are others around here just like him. Make an accusation knowing they are not required to back it up.

All the chicken little, betas have disappeared into the woodwork for another week I see. ND wins an important game convincingly and the arrogance of an entitled fan base that expect to never lose shows up again. Rather than ND fans starting a plethora of threads talking about the positives of the game, a good majority of the fans on this board are choking on crow because the coaching staff did a good job this week.

People were trashing on Wimbush because he didn't look like Joe Montana in his second and third start, but this week he comes out and shows much better mechanics and command of the offense and the passing game looks much better. That's called measured improvement. Both Wimbush as a passer and hisncoaches in their ability to teach the dynamics of the offense.

Others were trashing the offensive line as soft and overrated, yet for the third time in 4 games they crushed their opposition at the line of scrimmage and controlled the game. The only time they lost a battle was against an absolutely elite Georgia front 7, who simply outplayed them. A front 7 that features 6 or 7 futures NFL'ers, a number of which will be first and second round picks. I started a thread about how elite they were and people responded that Georgia would be an 8-4 or 7-5 team and that that would be a trash loss. Anyone still feel that they suck after completely annihilating a good Miss State team today, surrendering only 3 points?. Guess, what? Notre Dame and Georgia are both good football teams.

How about the defense? They are growing up in a hurry. I'll I've heard about for weeks is that ND still struggles to rush the passer, gives up too many big plays and misses tackles. They aren't the 85 Bears so they are trash in some people's distorted realities. In the winter I said this would be a top 30-35 defense that would give ND a chance to turn it around. They haven't played any great offensive teams yet but they are getting noticeably better every week and the haters are getting quieter and quieter.

I could continue this rant, but what's the point? I'll see the chicken little, bandwagon fans when a projected 9-3'ish Irish team lose their next game and ND Nation appears shocked that the Irish lost a game.

FWIW, I've went on record in saying that Kelly is being transitioned out of Notre Dame and I'm certainly not delusional in thinking he's going to be around forever or that he's the second coming of Ara Parseghian... That said, this board has become straight up depressing. As I said earlier this week, so many people have lost their objectivity.

In conclusion, I'm well aware that calling the board out isn't winning me any friends. I could care less. Those of us who have been around for along time have seen the chicken littles get bored and leave. The bandwagon fans always leave to attach themselves to the next in vogue winner. So bring on the hate. I welcome it... But the Irish played a damn good game tonight. I'm going to live in the now and not obsess over the past... Irish kicked Sparty's ass tonight. Let's get to 5-1 and welcome a very good USC team to town and battle the hell out of them.

You're supposed to be fans of the University of Notre Dame. Act like you've been there before. This team is far from perfect, but the kids and the coaches are working their asses off and they have been nothing short of tough and competitive.
I am thrilled with this W. predicted a similar score so I am not surprised

Look, I am not a Kelly fan, but for the first time I saw grit and good coaching in his team. I give him credit for making key staff changes and owning up to last year.

I hope he continues down this path. I feel he still has a lot to prove in his big game planning but I never wanted to be so wrong on somebody.

Great "road" win. My preseason prediction was 8-4 with losses to GA, USC, Miami FL, and Stanford. My toss up games were MSU and NC. I guess I should have added NC St. They had an impressive road win over FSU yesterday. Not to restate what has already been said in this thread, last year's player enthusiasm seemed synthetic, forced IMO. This year, the players seem to really be enjoying themselves and it is translating to the field of play. Given GA walloped MS St., and BC played Clemson basically even for over 3 qtrs, the Irish fans should be feeling pretty good this morning. Almost as much as winning, I want the Irish to hold this recruiting class together with the hopeful additions of players like Booker to round out the class. Last night's game certainly didn't hurt in making prospective recruits feel good about the direction of the Irish program. Go Irish!

Reactions: deadirishpoet
I have one serious question about yesterday's game as it relates to other calls I have see. What is targeting and when is it applied? Is it up for interpretation? My gosh, if that play last night wasn't targeting, what the hell is? Leading with your helmet and piling on to a downed ball carrier? The ND staff didn't seem all that shook up about the non call. It is automatically reviewable and I would like to know what the booth and officials didn't see. I've seen calls with a lot less.

Reactions: stu4don
I defy you to supply one negative comment from me. Do it now or shut your pie hole. Find the exact negative comments from me.
"Do it now".....or what?

Everyone knows who you are on this board- negative, attack the coaches at every turn.

I've seen you go after IIO a few times, which is all out lunacy.

Thanks IIO, well said. I really think Kelly has done a hell of a job this year. It is commendable to give up control for the greater gain (and to sacrifice long-term friendships for change, M Dembrock). He totally remade himself and we are seeing the results on the field. I've said it before -- I'm sticking with the guy who got us to our first National Championship game in a long time and nearly (if he wasn't BVG'd) into the final four. Yeah, the loses to big teams was frustrating but worse was getting humiliated by Michigan and others during the previous years.

Very impressed with Wimbush's improvement. Note: Stepherson runs under that pass (that EQ caught beautifully) and runs it in untouched. We are going to get better.

Where are all the FSU trolls? He-he-he.

Finally, in the words of the immortal John Prine to your detractors, IIO;

"Stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood."

I have one serious question about yesterday's game as it relates to other calls I have see. What is targeting and when is it applied? Is it up for interpretation? My gosh, if that play last night wasn't targeting, what the hell is? Leading with your helmet and piling on to a downed ball carrier? The ND staff didn't seem all that shook up about the non call. It is automatically reviewable and I would like to know what the booth and officials didn't see. I've seen calls with a lot less.
Totally blown call. Kelly should have called a time out there and it could have been reviewed. (that player would have been gone.) I saw a lot of cheap shots from MSU early -- and was very impressed how the Irish players responded. Put 'em on their backs (but within the rules.)

Totally blown call. Kelly should have called a time out there and it could have been reviewed. (that player would have been gone.) I saw a lot of cheap shots from MSU early -- and was very impressed how the Irish players responded. Put 'em on their backs (but within the rules.)

Hated that no call as well. It put Wimbush in a completely compromised position and was flat out dangerous. Should have been targeting and an ejection. They flat out missed it and the booth screwed up by not initiating a targeting call from up top.

Stu4don, you are quoting John Prine? "Dear Abbey, dear Abbey, I never thought, that me and my girlfriend would ever get caught, just sittin' in the back seat shootin' the breeze, with her hair up in curlers and her pants to her knees, -- signed just married!"

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Stu4don, you are quoting John Prine? "Dear Abbey, dear Abbey, I never thought, that me and my girlfriend would ever get caught, just sittin' in the back seat shootin' the breeze, with her hair up in curlers and her pants to her knees, -- signed just married!"
John Prine is one of my idols. "Blow up your tv..."

Reactions: 57Patrick
People were trashing on Wimbush because he didn't look like Joe Montana in his second and third start, but this week he comes out and shows much better mechanics and command of the offense and the passing game looks much better. That's called measured improvement. Both Wimbush as a passer and hisncoaches in their ability to teach the dynamics of the offense.

Found it interesting that announcers stated Wimbush and Lewerke (Michigan State QB) were Elite 11 roommates. Which has developed better since then?

Found it interesting that announcers stated Wimbush and Lewerke (Michigan State QB) were Elite 11 roommates. Which has developed better since then?

That's a great question. I think it's too early to tell. In terms of upside, it isn't close. Brandon isn't just a threat to scramble, He's a legit 10.5 100m sprinter. A guy who could have tannin a track scholarship and would have been the state champion at that distance in a number of states. If he was leaned down to 190lbs and had sprinter's build he'd be even faster. Like 10.3 fast. That is blazing. He also has a much bigger arm than Lewerke. When it comes to pure arm talent, Brandon's right arm is special... I'd say Lewerke and Wimbush aren't far off in their development to this point, but Brandon is just such a superior athlete. Both will be good ones at the college level.

Hated that no call as well. It put Wimbush in a completely compromised position and was flat out dangerous. Should have been targeting and an ejection. They flat out missed it and the booth screwed up by not initiating a targeting call from up top.
In the game thread, I wondered why Bk didn't call a TO to give the booth time to think about it. Maybe after further review, he might have done just that. BK wasn't asked about it in his post game presser so I suppose it's a non issue.

Thought that helmet dive into Wimbush's helmet while on the ground was one of the most egregious examples of targeting that I've seen in college football. Appreciated the announcers calling it for what it was, and expressing shock over the failure of a call on the field or by the review crew.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Thought that helmet dive into Wimbush's helmet while on the ground was one of the most egregious examples of targeting that I've seen in college football. Appreciated the announcers calling it for what it was, and expressing shock over the failure of a call on the field or by the review crew.
There should be an unintentional foul (not being ejected)compared to a intentional one

I have always believed in this team. I am gladly eating crow on Kelly right now. He is laying the hammer down and it is fun watching the Irish dominating again. I am still pissed we lost to Georgia--I thought we would beat them by 9+ points. If Wimbush keeps improving we may just get better than them.
I think our QB shows a lot of courage and can sure take a hit

8-5 again. Stop with the BS. We beat a piss poor MSU team, along with 2 of the worst teams in CFB (Temple, BC). GA is overrated as usual. They beat Miss State who beat a terrible LSU team. GA will go their normal 9-3.

Every year you Kelly clowns fall for it. Except last year you boneheads never had a chance to fall for it. That is how bad his team was last year.

Anytime a coach says he did a terrible job of coaching because he was distracted, he should give back the pay he received and resign. Short of that, He should have been fired. He was hired to coach the team and he admits he did not do that. He is a thief if he kept his paychecks.
Enjoy the season

This bozo will just ignore my challenge and move on thinking no one will notice. Go through yesterday's game thread. Go through the previous week. Go through the season so far. Now, supply all the positive upbeat comments about the program and players. This young person won't touch this response with a ten foot pole. There are others around here just like him. Make an accusation knowing they are not required to back it up.
Touchy,touchy.

I just like the fact they are showing improvement week to week in areas that were less than stellar. Wimbush was terrific last night. Ignore the numbers.
Agree
I was at the Husker game and realize how lucky we are right now as Notre Dame fans.
Brian Kelly made the proper Corrections with or without help on these assistance.
Elko is doing a fantastic job
Red zone offense is looking much improved
Adams is Hiesman worthy
Wimbush is growing from week to week
I like Notre Dame's chances more more.
I'm all in

I just like the fact they are showing improvement week to week in areas that were less than stellar. Wimbush was terrific last night. Ignore the numbers.

Keeping 50 or so guys focused on how to get just a little bit better every day - and identifying what to prioritize week to week - is huge over the course of a season.

Between Chicken Littles and internet coaching from pseudo coaches, this board is beyond frustrating. As I stated last year, the 4-8 sucked and it was not any one thing, but a bunch of little processes that were ignored and ended up creating horrible results for 2016.

When a season like that happens to an unproven coach it normally spells disaster. When it happens to a top flight coach and a proven winner like Brian Kelly in the prime of his caeer. I stated last year was a good thing. Because it forced Brian Kelly to turn a spotlight on every nook and cranny of the program. Offense, Defense, Special Teams Strength & Conditioning, Coaching Duties etc. Longo, BVG, BK the OC & Playcaller all have had success at the FBS level. But the mix at ND was toxic.

Winners have the strength of character to look in the mirror, lose the ego and make the necessary changes. ND has improved greatly and is back on a great track. Its too bad that interferes with the agenda of the Chicken Littles or just plain haters. Of course the next time ND comes up short these joys will be back..

Between Chicken Littles and internet coaching from pseudo coaches, this board is beyond frustrating. As I stated last year, the 4-8 sucked and it was not any one thing, but a bunch of little processes that were ignored and ended up creating horrible results for 2016.

When a season like that happens to an unproven coach it normally spells disaster. When it happens to a top flight coach and a proven winner like Brian Kelly in the prime of his caeer. I stated last year was a good thing. Because it forced Brian Kelly to turn a spotlight on every nook and cranny of the program. Offense, Defense, Special Teams Strength & Conditioning, Coaching Duties etc. Longo, BVG, BK the OC & Playcaller all have had success at the FBS level. But the mix at ND was toxic.

Winners have the strength of character to look in the mirror, lose the ego and make the necessary changes. ND has improved greatly and is back on a great track. Its too bad that interferes with the agenda of the Chicken Littles or just plain haters. Of course the next time ND comes up short these joys will be back..
C'mon
It's ridiculous to believe after 7 years that a
4 and 8 season was a good thing for him to get focused.
The running game is what's propelling the Irish forward with a good defense.
Let's just all be happy that thing's definitely looking forward

Last edited:
People need to be called out. It happens. I need to be called out at times. We're all in the wrong from time to time. Some people are fragile and can't handle it and other people embrace it and learn from it. I'm not personally angry that people have lost their objectivity towards Notre Dame, I'm just calling it as it is. The number of blanket statements about this 2017 team, based on previous years, has amazed me. I was shaking my head as Notre Dame was setting modern day rushing records and the narrative on this board was "ND is shit. They can't pass". It's college football college folks. People were giving up on the season in week 1, as if there would be zero measured improvement. ND is an extremely flawed team, but they've shown improvement in a variety of in different areas each week.

For example, last night I thouht they blocked much better in the short passing game. Claypool, St. Brown, Hainsey, Mack and Smythe all had key blocks on easy, high percentage passes for Wimbush. That's something we haven't seen to this point. I also think the offensive line blocked their asses off on the inside zone and power plays. Adams ran hard through contact and averaged 6 yards per carry. Dex also ran hard when he had a chance. Don't like to see Tony hurt, but it was great to see Dex grt a chance. Same can be said of McIntosh. I like the genuine love between the running backs. They spend a lot of time as a group at Autry Denson's house and they truly enjoy each other. I think they are a stellar unit. Claypool is improving each week ad well. Showed much better confidence in ability to catch the ball and make a play this week. He's still very raw butbifnhe puts it all together, he'll be tough to handle. With Stepherson coming back, I'm excited to see those two on the field with St. Brown and Mack or Smythe. That's a lot of threats to defend.

Defensively, you can tell Elko is a great teacher. All three of the inside linebackers are highly active and involved. Morgan was fabulous against MSU and Martini had one tough play, but otherwise, played his best game of the season. Crawford is simply a playmaker. He has that Shane Walton ability to make a game changing play at a key time. Perfect nickel back in this defense. Okwara and Hayes are a perfect pass rushing tandem. They are a year away strength wise, but man can they bow the pocket and they open up huge blitzing lanes as the offensive linemen overset to handle them. Okwara, in particular, has a fantastic first step. He just needs to get stronger. This is the 4th straight game that Jay Hayes has been nearly impossible to move in the fun game. Tranquill is playing the position I bitched about him needing to play for two years. Man is it refreshing to see him used properly. Myron just makes plays man. Proud of that true freshman. It'll be fun to watch him develop physically. That kid will be monstrous at the point of attack. Overall, it's refreshing to watch a fundamentally sound scheme that isn't schematically flawed and doesn't open itself up to huge plays every time Elko sends pressure.

I have a bunch of things I could knit pick and be critical about. Again, this team is far from perfect, but there are a bunch of subjectively negative posters on this board, I don't need to be one of them after a loss. So I'll focus on the positive and leave it at that.

ND was 4-8 last year in Brian Kelly's 7th season. And they had an NFL starting QB at the helm. Nobody should have their loyalty to ND questioned or called out simply for voicing their displeasure of Brian Kelly.

Yes they beat Temple but then followed it up with a bad offensive performance against a Georgia team coming off a disappointing year and being led by a 2nd year coach who was starting a true freshman QB. When it became obvious that Georgia wasn't going to allow the Irish to run the ball, our coaching staff had no answer and quite possibly didn't even attempt to try anything else. That brought back bad memories of years past. So did the first half at Boston College.

Yes it's true that ND has now played 5 straight very good quarters. Forgive those who want to see more of that. Personally I'll admit that the win at MSU is very impressive and one that o had little confidence would play out as it did. Even if Sparty is down, I know that they are a program that plays above their means when facing ND. That and Dantonio takes playing ND and more particularly Brian Kelly very seriously. So I expected a loss or a very close, hard nosed battle. I've even asked if that was ND's best performance under Brian Kelly. The Irish completely out classes Sparty.

Never did I read one negative post about our players. Like you post from last week, I'm sure there has been some including a post from you about ND not recruiting enough top level talent before pointing out a handful of plays that our team failed on against UGA. Mind you it was 5-9 plays out of nearly 200 that the Irish had on offense and defense. I am one who doesn't believe one or two or theee plays determines a game. The only time I ever say anything negative about a player is in the context of wanting another player to get more looks then he's currently getting.

Imo you are acting as bad as the people you are now calling out. Claiming that your support of the team is some how better then those who have seen 8.25 years of Brian Kelly and want to see a new Head Coach for the Irish.

Last edited:
DIP,

You know me. I call it how I see it. I also respect your opinion so any and all criticism is welcomed. Love me a great debate!

You went a tad overboard, imo. But I've learned that all those that have questions or negative opinions about the staff, head coach, personnel or play time are being lumpy together. Some are even having their loyalty to ND being questioned to the extreme level of being accused of rooting for an Irish loss.

A sound game from the Irish last night. Improvements everywhere. That's what you like to see. What impressed me the most is when Mich st fumbled into the end zone and ND got the touch back. It was going to be a tight game then. What do good teams do? They go on a 80 yard drive for a TD. ND did just that. That is a good team moment.
I said at the time that fumble happened - "Finally, we catch a break and a call goes our way!!". It seems we NEVER are the recipients of plays like that. Always on the wrong side of calls like that one. But finally, we get one.

Play good defense (we have been), pound the football (we have been), control the line of scrimmage (we have been), catch some more breaks - who knows where this team could end up. Maybe in the final four.

Mr. Thin skin.
You do understand that you are his defense counsel because you are exactly like the kid. Throw out stuff. See what sticks. Hopefully no one will notice. Respond with more accusations and see if That sticks. It wasn't all that long ago that you wanted BK fired and played that card often and now you are his best friend. A true leader of young minds, on and off the field.

its subjective like most penalties. replay booth definitely dropped the ball on that one. i'm glad nd didn t comment publicly. i'm sure behind the scenes complaints were issued.

I've watched enough Notre Dame football to know that you don't start running your mouth after a 3-1 start.

Lol, running my mouth? I predicted 8-4 or 9-3, with 10-2 upside if they had some luck go their way... My post is in response to the people who thought the sky had fallen and that Notre Dame sucked at everything. The crtisicms were ridiculous towards a team that was setting records a couple weeks back. People living in the past instead of focusing on the team they were watching on the field this year.

Reactions: echowaker
You do understand that you are his defense counsel because you are exactly like the kid. Throw out stuff. See what sticks. Hopefully no one will notice. Respond with more accusations and see if That sticks. It wasn't all that long ago that you wanted BK fired and played that card often and now you are his best friend. A true leader of young minds, on and off the field.
wrong again toby not so. for the record i've never wanted brian kelly fired. not sure who you are thinking of ( if you're thinking at all ) but it wasn t me. didn't you know i've long been accused of being a kelly lover ? you should really try harder to keep up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT