ADVERTISEMENT

Crickets

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
All the chicken little, betas have disappeared into the woodwork for another week I see. ND wins an important game convincingly and the arrogance of an entitled fan base that expect to never lose shows up again. Rather than ND fans starting a plethora of threads talking about the positives of the game, a good majority of the fans on this board are choking on crow because the coaching staff did a good job this week.

People were trashing on Wimbush because he didn't look like Joe Montana in his second and third start, but this week he comes out and shows much better mechanics and command of the offense and the passing game looks much better. That's called measured improvement. Both Wimbush as a passer and hisncoaches in their ability to teach the dynamics of the offense.

Others were trashing the offensive line as soft and overrated, yet for the third time in 4 games they crushed their opposition at the line of scrimmage and controlled the game. The only time they lost a battle was against an absolutely elite Georgia front 7, who simply outplayed them. A front 7 that features 6 or 7 futures NFL'ers, a number of which will be first and second round picks. I started a thread about how elite they were and people responded that Georgia would be an 8-4 or 7-5 team and that that would be a trash loss. Anyone still feel that they suck after completely annihilating a good Miss State team today, surrendering only 3 points?. Guess, what? Notre Dame and Georgia are both good football teams.

How about the defense? They are growing up in a hurry. I'll I've heard about for weeks is that ND still struggles to rush the passer, gives up too many big plays and misses tackles. They aren't the 85 Bears so they are trash in some people's distorted realities. In the winter I said this would be a top 30-35 defense that would give ND a chance to turn it around. They haven't played any great offensive teams yet but they are getting noticeably better every week and the haters are getting quieter and quieter.

I could continue this rant, but what's the point? I'll see the chicken little, bandwagon fans when a projected 9-3'ish Irish team lose their next game and ND Nation appears shocked that the Irish lost a game.

FWIW, I've went on record in saying that Kelly is being transitioned out of Notre Dame and I'm certainly not delusional in thinking he's going to be around forever or that he's the second coming of Ara Parseghian... That said, this board has become straight up depressing. As I said earlier this week, so many people have lost their objectivity.

In conclusion, I'm well aware that calling the board out isn't winning me any friends. I could care less. Those of us who have been around for along time have seen the chicken littles get bored and leave. The bandwagon fans always leave to attach themselves to the next in vogue winner. So bring on the hate. I welcome it... But the Irish played a damn good game tonight. I'm going to live in the now and not obsess over the past... Irish kicked Sparty's ass tonight. Let's get to 5-1 and welcome a very good USC team to town and battle the hell out of them.

You're supposed to be fans of the University of Notre Dame. Act like you've been there before. This team is far from perfect, but the kids and the coaches are working their asses off and they have been nothing short of tough and competitive.

That was a very impressive beat down of what was supposed to be upper half big 10 team.

So much ink has been spilled on this site about Dantonio, and MSU couldn't have been any sloppier. Good road win!

The fact Dantonio had 1st string in, throwing, calling timeouts, going for 2, spiking the ball...wity 4 minutes to go down 38-10 tells you all you need to know.
Kelly owns Dantonio.

I have always believed in this team. I am gladly eating crow on Kelly right now. He is laying the hammer down and it is fun watching the Irish dominating again. I am still pissed we lost to Georgia--I thought we would beat them by 9+ points. If Wimbush keeps improving we may just get better than them.

Reactions: Pennick44 and Ara64
The players have never been my gripe. It's the loses to teams that I feel ND should never lose to that has soured me on Brian Kelly. Georgia wasn't one of those teams btw.

IIO. Why the anger? You seem to be made at everybody and every thing? Why do comments on an anonymous free message board bother you? You started an argumentative thread on game day that had nothing to do with you or the game and now you start a topic like this? Why you mad bro? Relax. Do your analyzing thing and leave the argumentative commentary to Michael Wilbon.

Reactions: Bodizephax
A sound game from the Irish last night. Improvements everywhere. That's what you like to see. What impressed me the most is when Mich st fumbled into the end zone and ND got the touch back. It was going to be a tight game then. What do good teams do? They go on a 80 yard drive for a TD. ND did just that. That is a good team moment.

IIO. Why the anger? You seem to be made at everybody and every thing? Why do comments on an anonymous free message board bother you? You started an argumentative thread on game day that had nothing to do with you or the game and now you start a topic like this? Why you mad bro? Relax. Do your analyzing thing and leave the argumentative commentary to Michael Wilbon.

People need to be called out. It happens. I need to be called out at times. We're all in the wrong from time to time. Some people are fragile and can't handle it and other people embrace it and learn from it. I'm not personally angry that people have lost their objectivity towards Notre Dame, I'm just calling it as it is. The number of blanket statements about this 2017 team, based on previous years, has amazed me. I was shaking my head as Notre Dame was setting modern day rushing records and the narrative on this board was "ND is shit. They can't pass". It's college football college folks. People were giving up on the season in week 1, as if there would be zero measured improvement. ND is an extremely flawed team, but they've shown improvement in a variety of in different areas each week.

For example, last night I thouht they blocked much better in the short passing game. Claypool, St. Brown, Hainsey, Mack and Smythe all had key blocks on easy, high percentage passes for Wimbush. That's something we haven't seen to this point. I also think the offensive line blocked their asses off on the inside zone and power plays. Adams ran hard through contact and averaged 6 yards per carry. Dex also ran hard when he had a chance. Don't like to see Tony hurt, but it was great to see Dex grt a chance. Same can be said of McIntosh. I like the genuine love between the running backs. They spend a lot of time as a group at Autry Denson's house and they truly enjoy each other. I think they are a stellar unit. Claypool is improving each week ad well. Showed much better confidence in ability to catch the ball and make a play this week. He's still very raw butbifnhe puts it all together, he'll be tough to handle. With Stepherson coming back, I'm excited to see those two on the field with St. Brown and Mack or Smythe. That's a lot of threats to defend.

Defensively, you can tell Elko is a great teacher. All three of the inside linebackers are highly active and involved. Morgan was fabulous against MSU and Martini had one tough play, but otherwise, played his best game of the season. Crawford is simply a playmaker. He has that Shane Walton ability to make a game changing play at a key time. Perfect nickel back in this defense. Okwara and Hayes are a perfect pass rushing tandem. They are a year away strength wise, but man can they bow the pocket and they open up huge blitzing lanes as the offensive linemen overset to handle them. Okwara, in particular, has a fantastic first step. He just needs to get stronger. This is the 4th straight game that Jay Hayes has been nearly impossible to move in the fun game. Tranquill is playing the position I bitched about him needing to play for two years. Man is it refreshing to see him used properly. Myron just makes plays man. Proud of that true freshman. It'll be fun to watch him develop physically. That kid will be monstrous at the point of attack. Overall, it's refreshing to watch a fundamentally sound scheme that isn't schematically flawed and doesn't open itself up to huge plays every time Elko sends pressure.

I have a bunch of things I could knit pick and be critical about. Again, this team is far from perfect, but there are a bunch of subjectively negative posters on this board, I don't need to be one of them after a loss. So I'll focus on the positive and leave it at that.

We have all kinds of fans making comments. Young, old, blue collar, college educated, coaches and just plain fanatics. I don't even take myself serious let alone anyone else around here. I'm betting the A&M fans are on the same roller coaster ride with their program. There are others. I'm just very happy for the players and staff. Long way to go though and they know that.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
I don't think anybody has to apologize for what they say on a free message board. I think you have to apologize if you a punch a hole in the wall or kick the dog when ND lets you down.

That said, a lot of people certainly do overreact, myself included. I've said a million times Kelly is not as bad as his detractors say he is, nor is he as good as his supporters say.

The fact is last year's team should never have been so bad -- plenty of that had to do with coaching -- and this year's team is not going to be go out and win a national championship.

Our defense is improved, but not great; our special teams remain average; and Wimbush, while a great runner, remains a liability every time he drops back to pass.

IIO,
ND beating Michigan State, Temple, North Carolina, Wake Forest or Miami University has not been an issue in the BK era. The complaint most ND fans have is ND's inability to compete with the upper-level teams, I emphasize compete, not win every match up, but at some points my BK needs to beat a SC or @ Stanford or a Georgia. Going 8-4 with losses to every opponent that finishes 10 or 9-3 isn't going to work.

Personally, I was concerned about the passing. In this game, the Irish offense did the little things that helped BW in the passing game. Also, BW was not overthrowing receivers like in prior games. The plan seemed to be a short passing game with occasional shots. With the team doing the basics right this helped BW and the WR made plays. I still believe the passing game is a work in progress but I bet you see improvement during the season. There are teams the Irish offense needs to pass against to win.

Personally, I was concerned about the passing. In this game, the Irish offense did the little things that helped BW in the passing game. Also, BW was not overthrowing receivers like in prior games. The plan seemed to be a short passing game with occasional shots. With the team doing the basics right this helped BW and the WR made plays. I still believe the passing game is a work in progress but I bet you see improvement during the season. There are teams the Irish offense needs to pass against to win.

This is what I'm getting at. Good, quality, objective analysis. I think you're spot on. The passing game is worrisome at times. Brandon Wimbush isn't Jimmy Clausen throwing the football.... But he made measured improvements. I thought Long called a better game more suited to his skill set. Measured improvement. I think the tight ends and receivers are getting better as blockers. Measured improvement... I also think they'll take steps back at times this year. Measured regression... Thank you for your objectivity Zona.

Reactions: ohiou
All the chicken little, betas have disappeared into the woodwork for another week I see. ND wins an important game convincingly and the arrogance of an entitled fan base that expect to never lose shows up again. Rather than ND fans starting a plethora of threads talking about the positives of the game, a good majority of the fans on this board are choking on crow because the coaching staff did a good job this week.

People were trashing on Wimbush because he didn't look like Joe Montana in his second and third start, but this week he comes out and shows much better mechanics and command of the offense and the passing game looks much better. That's called measured improvement. Both Wimbush as a passer and hisncoaches in their ability to teach the dynamics of the offense.

Others were trashing the offensive line as soft and overrated, yet for the third time in 4 games they crushed their opposition at the line of scrimmage and controlled the game. The only time they lost a battle was against an absolutely elite Georgia front 7, who simply outplayed them. A front 7 that features 6 or 7 futures NFL'ers, a number of which will be first and second round picks. I started a thread about how elite they were and people responded that Georgia would be an 8-4 or 7-5 team and that that would be a trash loss. Anyone still feel that they suck after completely annihilating a good Miss State team today, surrendering only 3 points?. Guess, what? Notre Dame and Georgia are both good football teams.

How about the defense? They are growing up in a hurry. I'll I've heard about for weeks is that ND still struggles to rush the passer, gives up too many big plays and misses tackles. They aren't the 85 Bears so they are trash in some people's distorted realities. In the winter I said this would be a top 30-35 defense that would give ND a chance to turn it around. They haven't played any great offensive teams yet but they are getting noticeably better every week and the haters are getting quieter and quieter.

I could continue this rant, but what's the point? I'll see the chicken little, bandwagon fans when a projected 9-3'ish Irish team lose their next game and ND Nation appears shocked that the Irish lost a game.

FWIW, I've went on record in saying that Kelly is being transitioned out of Notre Dame and I'm certainly not delusional in thinking he's going to be around forever or that he's the second coming of Ara Parseghian... That said, this board has become straight up depressing. As I said earlier this week, so many people have lost their objectivity.

In conclusion, I'm well aware that calling the board out isn't winning me any friends. I could care less. Those of us who have been around for along time have seen the chicken littles get bored and leave. The bandwagon fans always leave to attach themselves to the next in vogue winner. So bring on the hate. I welcome it... But the Irish played a damn good game tonight. I'm going to live in the now and not obsess over the past... Irish kicked Sparty's ass tonight. Let's get to 5-1 and welcome a very good USC team to town and battle the hell out of them.

You're supposed to be fans of the University of Notre Dame. Act like you've been there before. This team is far from perfect, but the kids and the coaches are working their asses off and they have been nothing short of tough and competitive.
Talk about bluster geez

Last edited:
Guys like you are problems on this board. Negative, condescending, trolling- take it somewhere else.

Reactions: echowaker

Nice post, IiO. Something that really impressed me from last night's game that may go overlooked by most is ND's defense play the last 18 minutes of the game. MSU had the ball with over three minutes left to play in the third quarter and the announcer said they needed to score on this drive before the third quarter expired. MSU did score on that drive around the 11-minute mark in the fourth and were shut down the rest of the game. It's been a long time since ND could seal a win in that fashion against a good team.

Reactions: HRC08
People need to be called out. It happens. I need to be called out at times. We're all in the wrong from time to time. Some people are fragile and can't handle it and other people embrace it and learn from it. I'm not personally angry that people have lost their objectivity towards Notre Dame, I'm just calling it as it is. The number of blanket statements about this 2017 team, based on previous years, has amazed me. I was shaking my head as Notre Dame was setting modern day rushing records and the narrative on this board was "ND is shit. They can't pass". It's college football college folks. People were giving up on the season in week 1, as if there would be zero measured improvement. ND is an extremely flawed team, but they've shown improvement in a variety of in different areas each week.

For example, last night I thouht they blocked much better in the short passing game. Claypool, St. Brown, Hainsey, Mack and Smythe all had key blocks on easy, high percentage passes for Wimbush. That's something we haven't seen to this point. I also think the offensive line blocked their asses off on the inside zone and power plays. Adams ran hard through contact and averaged 6 yards per carry. Dex also ran hard when he had a chance. Don't like to see Tony hurt, but it was great to see Dex grt a chance. Same can be said of McIntosh. I like the genuine love between the running backs. They spend a lot of time as a group at Autry Denson's house and they truly enjoy each other. I think they are a stellar unit. Claypool is improving each week ad well. Showed much better confidence in ability to catch the ball and make a play this week. He's still very raw butbifnhe puts it all together, he'll be tough to handle. With Stepherson coming back, I'm excited to see those two on the field with St. Brown and Mack or Smythe. That's a lot of threats to defend.

Defensively, you can tell Elko is a great teacher. All three of the inside linebackers are highly active and involved. Morgan was fabulous against MSU and Martini had one tough play, but otherwise, played his best game of the season. Crawford is simply a playmaker. He has that Shane Walton ability to make a game changing play at a key time. Perfect nickel back in this defense. Okwara and Hayes are a perfect pass rushing tandem. They are a year away strength wise, but man can they bow the pocket and they open up huge blitzing lanes as the offensive linemen overset to handle them. Okwara, in particular, has a fantastic first step. He just needs to get stronger. This is the 4th straight game that Jay Hayes has been nearly impossible to move in the fun game. Tranquill is playing the position I bitched about him needing to play for two years. Man is it refreshing to see him used properly. Myron just makes plays man. Proud of that true freshman. It'll be fun to watch him develop physically. That kid will be monstrous at the point of attack. Overall, it's refreshing to watch a fundamentally sound scheme that isn't schematically flawed and doesn't open itself up to huge plays every time Elko sends pressure.

I have a bunch of things I could knit pick and be critical about. Again, this team is far from perfect, but there are a bunch of subjectively negative posters on this board, I don't need to be one of them after a loss. So I'll focus on the positive and leave it at that.
Awesome post, IIO. You've been saying for 2 years that Tranquil needs to be in the role that he's in now......it's great seeing him excel.

Reactions: HRC08
I wish NBC would back a Brinks truck up into Gus Johnson's yard. He is a lot of fun when he calls a game and his energy level is unmatched. He also does his homework, knows his stuff and doesn't talk more than he needs to. I thought Klatt did a reasonable and knowledgeable job as well. Not great, but a good job. I hope we get Johnson again for the game out at Stanford!

Last edited:
There are teams the Irish passing game will need to step it up. Because like Georgia they may be able to stop our run game. So incremental help the coaches provide will help us win tough games that will come up. This was a great confidence builder for the Irish offense.

I don't know anyone who shouldn't be critical of Kelly. Even he has said that he made a lot of mistakes last year. You don't just jump back on the bandwagon without there being some proof that things will change. So far so good, but we've been here before. Let the season play out and go from there. No reason to alienate half the fan base because they're a little more reserved than you are.

Great win last night boys. Keep rolling.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Only thing i'm worried about is about Notre Dame paying Mike Elko, because he is going to be getting alot of calls really fast. This guy, Long, Balis, and Lea has changed the culture of this program very fast. Their not taking their foot off the gas pedal. Heck Brian Kelly is proving himself to be a decent team manager by fixing the problems with his program.
The most impressive thing about ND yesterday was that they forced 3 turnovers and capitalized each time. Not to mention the improvements in the red zone on either side the field. Trust me Kelly might be getting calls again soon himself. LSU will be ready to make some serious changes again after season.

Reactions: Bodizephax
DIP,

You know me. I call it how I see it. I also respect your opinion so any and all criticism is welcomed. Love me a great debate!
What most have been calling for is a running game that will bring point, eat the clock, and give the defense a break.
It looks like there is an effort of this happening.
As far as fans, and their reactions to the moments......they are fans that's a tough battle to fight, and why fight it?

There was a lot of postive coming into he season. The one point lose to GA was as good as a loss that you can hope for.

Has been said in many post by many people no one is expecting the Irish to be World beaters, with what happened last season.
If in fact the Irish do make the playoffs what an excellent surprise this would be.

There is no reason after an excellent win we come off the board and calling people out, no more then it is to call people out after a disappointing loss.

I understand for you this is your business, but for most of us it's just football nothing more nothing less and a chance to get some camaraderie, and banter going

Didn't mean to sound harsh ......too many cocktails while we are at the Huskers game then stopping by the nearest pub to our house to enjoyed the Notre Dame game.

Last edited:
8-5 again. Stop with the BS. We beat a piss poor MSU team, along with 2 of the worst teams in CFB (Temple, BC). GA is overrated as usual. They beat Miss State who beat a terrible LSU team. GA will go their normal 9-3.

Every year you Kelly clowns fall for it. Except last year you boneheads never had a chance to fall for it. That is how bad his team was last year.

Anytime a coach says he did a terrible job of coaching because he was distracted, he should give back the pay he received and resign. Short of that, He should have been fired. He was hired to coach the team and he admits he did not do that. He is a thief if he kept his paychecks.

The team played a good, clean game yesterday. I don't think you can draw too much from this game moving forward other than the team is clearly better coached. I have my doubts that MSU is better than a 6-6 team, but Georgia is looking more impressive. We're probably a 9-3ish team, but with a few breaks we could be better.

8-5 again. Stop with the BS. We beat a piss poor MSU team, along with 2 of the worst teams in CFB (Temple, BC). GA is overrated as usual. They beat Miss State who beat a terrible LSU team. GA will go their normal 9-3.

Every year you Kelly clowns fall for it. Except last year you boneheads never had a chance to fall for it. That is how bad his team was last year.

Anytime a coach says he did a terrible job of coaching because he was distracted, he should give back the pay he received and resign. Short of that, He should have been fired. He was hired to coach the team and he admits he did not do that. He is a thief if he kept his paychecks.

You must be a joy to be around at Christmas

Reactions: strings13182

This guy is clearly a troll. Looking for trouble. Opinion has no value.

I'm putting him on ignore asap.

Reactions: hvillebill
The o line is going to have to figure out, or should I say our o.c. is going to have to figure out how to best utilize the o line when facing sec type d lines and backers. I like their attitude tho

IIO, I spend most of my time on the paid site, b/c I got tired of the chicken little stuff on this board, but I still follow your posts b/c they are the best insight on both webpages...thank you for your post...but 1 request, how about a pre-game breakdown for USC in a couple of weeks, not over looking UNC, but this to me is the only one that gets me nervous, even if the team continues to progress...for the record, I called a blowout if the BW passer from fall camp shows up...he's getting there...awesome to see a fellow BC coaster in Claypool have a good game...still confused what's taking Alize Mack to get going...any thoughts?

Chicken little beta's.. I love it... Speaks to not only a large percentage of this board, but most of our society as well.

Also, my "Top 15 ND players" showed out pretty darn well this past Saturday. Tranquil probably needs to move up the rankings, boy is playing like a stud.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT