ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Stroud's car in the OSU parking lot

If full athletic scholarship CFB athletes can not survive on a free education, free room, board, and expenses, and leaving college debt free, that is their problem.
That's the question: How much is covered by expenses? I think I've made myself clear. I'm not in favor of making college sports professional, which is why NIL really bothers me. (It also bothers me, when you go to a place like ND and they are selling jerseys of star players and using their images in the pre-game commercials, etc). But I think someone who is on full scholarship should be able to buy some clothing that isn't made by the official sponsor or maybe enjoy a flight home instead of a bus, etc...

I just don't think it's right that college athletes are being recruited with multimillion dollar payoffs. And to think we used to think it was bad when kids got free shoes.
I never thought that about shoes. They're a tool. Can't play barefoot.

That said the millions on playoffs is completely irrelevant and or completely relative.

If player x chooses a school that is making lots of bread from playoff or big bowl and they put that money back into the facilities, coaching, etc...
All things that can help said player achieve the goal of playing on Sunday, no?

They are getting a free degree, free food, medical, playing a fun sport, free clothing, free, free, free, free, plus a stipend, plus allocation for extras like parents attending home games from afar....or extra money to visit parents from afar...

Plus the possibility of playing professionally someday if the stars align for them...

Upon graduation carry absolutely zero debt...

Again ask any student if they'd like to get everything free and leave school debt free in exchange for a service of something they like to do....something fun...

The student athlete is doing absolutely positively fine!!

Reactions: Rionegro
If the player is being leased the car for a nominal amount, does he have to pay income tax on the difference?
I mean I'm sure? That's how this works I suppose. They aren't kids, they're adults now. Not sure why some people think they're magically tax exempt or not prepared for the real world of finances.

Who gives a shit what you support! This doesn't have nothing do with you, and your support is not only utterly immaterial, it is precisely that which the very right-leaning Supreme Court declared illegal. As in were a society of laws, and we don't have warlordism here, and your preference, whether you're some two-bit fan, or you're a consortium of universities working together to bring about and maintain this false and exploitative amateurism. Not you, not ND, not anyone.....

So stop giving your opinion about what you want. Your 'support', as you put it, is the enemy, it's the malefactor.... It's exactly what the Supreme Court struck down, and is defending the players' interests against. The very idea of you supporting something or not, and thinking or proposing that it has any bearing on anything... that's what's illegitimate, and never the fact of these players getting paid to play....
Okay, whatever.

That's the question: How much is covered by expenses? I think I've made myself clear. I'm not in favor of making college sports professional, which is why NIL really bothers me. (It also bothers me, when you go to a place like ND and they are selling jerseys of star players and using their images in the pre-game commercials, etc). But I think someone who is on full scholarship should be able to buy some clothing that isn't made by the official sponsor or maybe enjoy a flight home instead of a bus, etc...
Schools vary by the amount but they do have extra money for the very thing you stated. Traveling home...as example.

Schools vary by the amount but they do have extra money for the very thing you stated. Traveling home...as example.
That is something I didn't know. Let me run it by Savvy and find out if she says it's okay to think that.

• Haha
Reactions: Irish_Mutt
Well, they can't really get the same education as the other students. For example labs paired with science classes can run from 1-6pm. The football program cannot really tolerate a starter who wanted to take that class and would steer him into a different major. I would have liked a free degree too but doubt I could have expended the energy it would take.
And other students can't play football no matter how much they want to or much fun it is for them.

It's called life...

The fact remains ask any student if they'd be willing to do a service for the school ...sonething they enjoy doing btw...in exchange for free everything and leaving school debt free

Hhmmm...

So you blast a poster for giving an opinion...on a message board that is 98% opinion driven mind you....
then say his opinion doesn't matter by giving your opinion.

Alrighty then!!!
Okay well, how about this. How about you at least incorporate in your sorry-ass opinion, that the very thing that you want so badly, and treat as if has been merely taken away from you by circumstance, is actually something that the highest court in the land declared illegal. And that's why it was taken from you....

So just do us that much. This willful ignorance bullshit.... when everyone knows or should know just exactly why the NCAA finally was forced to back down, and that was the only reason they did it. Because a fully right-wing, pro-business, pro-establishment SCOTUS declared it illegal by a 9-0 margin. And you do not ever acknowledge that in your mewling and self-pitying 'opinions'....

Nothing is "free". I played Division 1 football. Earned every "free" dime. Players are entitled to NIL $. However, it needs serious guard rails.

And other students can't play football no matter how much they want to or much fun it is for them.

It's called life...

The fact remains ask any student if they'd be willing to do a service for the school ...sonething they enjoy doing btw...in exchange for free everything and leaving school debt free
Are they fine with CTE and bad knees?

Reactions: Irish_Mutt
Not that anyone cares...but this is why I really don't follow this "sport" anymore...it is no longer even semi-pro football...NIL, $11 million coaching salaries. ticket prices...it's over for me...

I would have more interest in watching ND play other academically-oriented schools that didn't pay their players and provide benefits like this car...I can't wait until the REAL football schools face unionization of players...now that's going to be a fun discussion in congress of taxation / non-profit status and antitrust exemptions...

Finally, no it's not the NFL, but these kids are likely making more than the professionals in the USFL, XFL and my baby, the CFL...that puts this all in perspective...
If you’re in certain states you can make money off college football too. Get those good value bets in.

Okay well, how about this. How about you at least incorporate in your sorry-ass opinion, that the very thing that you want so badly, and treat as if has been merely taken away from you by circumstance, is actually something that the highest court in the land declared illegal. And that's why it was taken from you....

So just do us that much. This willful ignorance bullshit.... when everyone knows or should know just exactly why the NCAA finally was forced to back down, and that was the only reason they did it. Because a fully right-wing, pro-business, pro-establishment SCOTUS declared it illegal by a 9-0 margin. And you do not ever acknowledge that in your mewling and self-pitying 'opinions'....
Again for the 50th time this is a message board that is 98% opinion driven.
Since you're bringing up right wing this, pro that...you obviously are bring politics into this.
It's crystal clear to me which way you not only lean but wallow in because it appears that anyone can have an opinion but if it differs from yours then you go full blown psycho mode.

For you 10x specifically...it doesn't matter what any judge, jury or trendy do-gooder stands or ruled on the matter...

AGAIN...IT DOESN’T MATTER WHAT SOMEONE(s) ruled...people can have differing opinions....especially on a message board driven by. ..

Again wait for it....

opinions!!!

Holy shit sheriff. Opinions....

and if they differ from yours I promise you the sun will come up tomorrow and your mom's basement won't flood. In other words your xbox and army games will be perfectly ok. So will you.

What ****ing part of that do you not understand?

BTW...
No matter how much you try and sound like Dennis Miller it only makes you sound stupid and immature.

Gimme that it's mine!!!

Maybe your handle could be that. Gimme that it's mine!!!

Again for the 50th time this is a message board that is 98% opinion driven.
Since you're bringing up right wing this, pro that...you obviously are bring politics into this.
It's crystal clear to me which way you not only lean but wallow in because it appears that anyone can have an opinion but if it differs from yours then you go full blown psycho mode.

For you 10x specifically...it doesn't matter what any judge, jury or trendy do-gooder stands or ruled on the matter...

AGAIN...IT DOESN’T MATTER WHAT SOMEONE(s) ruled...people can have differing opinions....especially on a message board driven by. ..

Again wait for it....

opinions!!!

Holy shit sheriff. Opinions....

and if they differ from yours I promise you the sun will come up tomorrow and your mom's basement won't flood. In other words your xbox and army games will be perfectly ok. So will you.

What ****ing part of that do you not understand?

BTW...
No matter how much you try and sound like Dennis Miller it only makes you sound stupid and immature.

Gimme that it's mine!!!

Maybe your handle could be that. Gimme that it's mine!!!
I'm the psycho? Look at this bizarre screed I'm responding to. Ask ND's own Amy Barrett what she thinks about the NCAA trying to suppress the players' right to earn money as college athletes. No one will ever mistake her for some bleeding heart.....

The average ND graduate (the kids who also applied to Stanford, Penn, Northwestern, etc) is going to have many more job opportunities than a football player who graduates. The degrees are not worth the same.
Don’t bring that up Ivan! But you’re spot on. It’s sold that way but there’s a yawning gap between the average undergrad and the average athlete. I’m not talking about the fencers. Night and day

That is something I didn't know. Let me run it by Savvy and find out if she says it's okay to think that.
You can 'think' whatever you want. I'm just struck by the total absence and lack of even a bare-bones acknowledgement of why NIL even exists, and just how it is we got here. And why it's not going away, and if anything the big conferences are readying themselves for full professionalization.

But nothing. Complete crickets. The only thing I can think is that it's literally painful, almost physically painful to have to stare into the void on this particular issue. And accept how your sensibility about it has been so thoroughly repudiated. Even by a very conservative Supreme Court.

I seriously doubt they care about being the only ones having luxurious stuff. They just want compensated for the millions of dollars they make their team/conference and they deserve it. Sounds like you hate wealthy people for being wealthy.
No I don't hate wealthy people for being wealthy. I hate how 99% of wealthy people don't give a shit about others and prefer to hold people down to maintain their status.

Not that anyone cares...but this is why I really don't follow this "sport" anymore...it is no longer even semi-pro football...NIL, $11 million coaching salaries. ticket prices...it's over for me...

I would have more interest in watching ND play other academically-oriented schools that didn't pay their players and provide benefits like this car...I can't wait until the REAL football schools face unionization of players...now that's going to be a fun discussion in congress of taxation / non-profit status and antitrust exemptions...

Finally, no it's not the NFL, but these kids are likely making more than the professionals in the USFL, XFL and my baby, the CFL...that puts this all in perspective...
I was just listening to a sports radio in NYC. WFAN 660 AM. Anyhow, coach ability is becoming a problem. That's the scuttlebutt amongst NFL scouts. Kids who are already millionaires being told what to do.

No I don't hate wealthy people for being wealthy. I hate how 99% of wealthy people don't give a shit about others and prefer to hold people down to maintain their status.
About how many wealthy people did you interview?

I hate unlimited and unregulated pay for play but not the concept of NIL. The debate team or the theater major are allowed to sell their NIL and they contribute much less to the college bottom line.

Except most Division I football teams do not normally make a profit. Most college bottom lines lose money on the team so the players not really contributing any more than any other student. Players normally got better perks already; now even better.

Do not disagree with NIL considering the disparity between what coaches and players receive, but I be just as happy if coaches' salaries were considerably lower.

Great thread. Even more so after I read the thread of UT NIL millionaire, QB Ewers, getting his car towed after the Horns game on Sat. Guess the Austin PD did not get the message, Then recalled the difference in application of campus parking ruies from 54 years ago, 1968. Draft deferments for grad students ended. Uh oh. One of my law school palsl at OU a UT grad and Navy pilot who told me "good luck.". Must have many trying to getting into the 2 year ROTC programs to get through law school. Applied to all 3. AF interviewer laughed at me even though I had good grades. But had more than 5 student parking tickets. You gone. Got into both Army and Navy. Easy choice. Even being in the Tonkin Gulf in Sept. 72. My AFROC classmates wound up in Minot, N.D. I did ok.

ADVERTISEMENT