ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Stroud's car in the OSU parking lot

SBBorn

Irish Insider
Jul 9, 2014

Wowser

At that age, I would prefer a $10K beater and the rest in cash to pay someone to drive me and my friends around.

CC-171-050-800.jpg

Not that anyone cares...but this is why I really don't follow this "sport" anymore...it is no longer even semi-pro football...NIL, $11 million coaching salaries. ticket prices...it's over for me...

I would have more interest in watching ND play other academically-oriented schools that didn't pay their players and provide benefits like this car...I can't wait until the REAL football schools face unionization of players...now that's going to be a fun discussion in congress of taxation / non-profit status and antitrust exemptions...

Finally, no it's not the NFL, but these kids are likely making more than the professionals in the USFL, XFL and my baby, the CFL...that puts this all in perspective...

Not that anyone cares...but this is why I really don't follow this "sport" anymore...it is no longer even semi-pro football...NIL, $11 million coaching salaries. ticket prices...it's over for me...

I would have more interest in watching ND play other academically-oriented schools that didn't pay their players and provide benefits like this car...I can't wait until the REAL football schools face unionization of players...now that's going to be a fun discussion in congress of taxation / non-profit status and antitrust exemptions...

Finally, no it's not the NFL, but these kids are likely making more than the professionals in the USFL, XFL and my baby, the CFL...that puts this all in perspective...
Peace

Way less regulations, contractual obligations than the NFL. Recruiting used to be an art, now it’s just to the highest bidder with no cap, rules or consistency across the 100+ teams.

Was reading that Stroud has close to $700,000 in NIL deals and he's not at the top. Bryce Young (Alabama) is bringing in over 7 figures. Definitely a different CF world now.

One thing about both of those schools though, they're not throwing huge amounts of money at recruits (supposedly) like TAMU, instead using the huge money that Young and Stroud are bringing in and telling recruits that they can bring in the same once they prove themselves on the field

So, say a major Chicago car dealership signed an NIL deal with a half dozen ND star players and each collected $100K per year. This would upset ND fans?

So, say a major Chicago car dealership signed an NIL deal with a half dozen ND star players and each collected $100K per year. This would upset ND fans?
This happened at SC. Two player did commercials for a Mercedes Dealership and got free leases on S500s. If there is going to be NIL (which I wish there wasn't) I see nothing wrong with this.

Reactions: Kelso86
Why does college football players making a lot of money and spending it on nice cars piss off old folks so much?
Actually, I don't even think he is spending his money on the cars. From the article:

That's assuming Buckeyes quarterback C.J. Stroud hasn't swapped out his silver Mercedes-Benz G-Wagon for a Bentley or a Porsche, which his name, image and likeness deal with Sarchione Auto Gallery allows him to do every 45 days.

When I first saw the photo, I thought, Oh, God, another kid blowing his money on a car, but this deal sounds pretty sweet to me.

Actually, I don't even think he is spending his money on the cars. From the article:

That's assuming Buckeyes quarterback C.J. Stroud hasn't swapped out his silver Mercedes-Benz G-Wagon for a Bentley or a Porsche, which his name, image and likeness deal with Sarchione Auto Gallery allows him to do every 45 days.

When I first saw the photo, I thought, Oh, God, another kid blowing his money on a car, but this deal sounds pretty sweet to me.
AT SC they basically get a lease, use of the car, but not ownership.

That's the way I read it too. He's not spending any of his own money - just a sweet deal with the auto group.

Last edited:
That's the way I re add it too. He's not spending any of his own money - just a sweet deal with the auto group.
For the record, I really hate NIL. I've always believed that athletes should get some financial help because there are huge demands on their time, but I'm sorry, I don't think college athletes should be making a $1 million a year.

For the record, I really hate NIL. I've always believed that athletes should get some financial help because there are huge demands on their time, but I'm sorry, I don't think college athletes should be making a $1 million a year.
Not arguing at all - agree. But NIL is here to stay so I'm learning to accept it - grudgingly.

I hate unlimited and unregulated pay for play but not the concept of NIL. The debate team or the theater major are allowed to sell their NIL and they contribute much less to the college bottom line.

They are making more than a lot of real professional players in the NFL

This will not hold....

5 years

Why?
If they put in the time and stars align they'll have an opportunity to play professionally.

Moreover at ND a 4 year scholarship with everything included is worth nearing 300k.

Graduating 101 percent debt free.

Ask anyone who graduates carrying a 300k tution debt and have yet to get job #1 yet if they'd like to play a sport...something fun...all while getting an education, room and board..clothing...meals...all free if they'd like the opportunity to do that.

Athletes get plenty and if they work hard and utilize the million dollar facilities and coaching perhaps they play professionally.
If not they get to start life with no college debt and a nice pretty degree from a highly respected university.

They got plenty!!

Why?
If they put in the time and stars align they'll have an opportunity to play professionally.

Moreover at ND a 4 year scholarship with everything included is worth nearing 300k.

Ask anyone who graduates carrying a 300k tution debt and have yet to get job #1 yet if they'd like to play a sport...something fun...all while getting an education, room and board..clothing...meals...all free if they'd like the opportunity to do that.

Athletes get plenty and if they work hard and utilize the million dollar facilities and coaching perhaps they play professionally.
If not they get to start life with no college debt and a nice pretty degree from a highly respected university.

They got plenty!!

The average ND graduate (the kids who also applied to Stanford, Penn, Northwestern, etc) is going to have many more job opportunities than a football player who graduates. The degrees are not worth the same.

Reactions: Rionegro
To tell any adult in this country that they cannot make money off of their own name image or likeness is un-American at best. The rule should have never existed and I’m surprised it went on for as long as it did. I agree schools like TAMU are abusing the hell out of NIL during its infancy, hopefully it gets ironed out over the next couple of seasons.

The average ND graduate (the kids who also applied to Stanford, Penn, Northwestern, etc) is going to have many more job opportunities than a football player who graduates. The degrees are not worth the same.
But that's up to the individual no?

Moreover it's their opportunity to make the most of it.

In case you didn't know 99.7 percent of college football players will never play on Sunday.

It's up to them to take their incredible opportunity and take that highly coveted education seriously because odds are they will NEED the diploma.

Again ask any student who can give a service to the school in exchange for zero cost of anything...a stipend...and graduate 101% debt free.

Yeah we should feel so horribly sorry for the athletes who have to work so hard playing sonething fun and getting a 300k education.

WTFE

Schools don't pay players through NIL.

Reactions: Kelso86
I have three children... 6,4, 9 days old... We will afford them every opportunity to play sports in college (if they so choose) ND of course... We will raise them correctly with a biblical world view! Our 4 year old is fully ambidextrous. Our 6 year old is right handed, we have him batting left. (Just threw that in there as a proud dad) if they are blessed to play in college, all the more power to them to have NIL deals! Yes these young men and women get scholarships for playing sports... but they generate millions for their respective schools.... raise your children correctly and there will be no issues.

Why?

They got plenty!!

When I went to college, I went home in mid to late May and usually had landed a summer job or two by the end of the month. I don't think I ever made more than $2,000 in a summer, but it was a key portion of my college funding on top of contributions from my family, a meager scholarship, student loans and work study.

Athletes in the major sports are are pretty much expected to remain on campus all year to keep up with studies and, more importantly, keep up with the training demands of their sport.

That's why I support a limited stipend. Don't ask me how much. I just don't think it's right that college athletes are being recruited with multimillion dollar payoffs. And to think we used to think it was bad when kids got free shoes.

Education is like the choice of eating in the cafeteria or not, these are employed representatives of the university. The only thing that would make sense is a draft, and a union-like collectively bargained salary structure like the NFL. College football, played by the students of the university was doomed when TV became ruler! To get college football back, simply do away with scholarships, then only actual student representatives would be eligible to compete, and they would be doing so for the love of sport and competition. But we know there is no going back. The slippery slope is now free fall.

Why does college football players making a lot of money and spending it on nice cars piss off old folks so much?
I'm old and I could care less about top end cars for athletes, this has been going on for over fifty years. Now that this is out in the open you will have open bidding for the best jocks. This will change the sport into something that is not sustainable. As the greatThomas Sowell said , " don't be a one stage thinker, look at the consequences of your ideas"

Reactions: shooter1977
I'm old and I could care less about top end cars for athletes, this has been going on for over fifty years. Now that this is out in the open you will have open bidding for the best jocks. This will change the sport into something that is not sustainable. As the greatThomas Sowell said , " don't be a one stage thinker, look at the consequences of your ideas"
You're right about this going on for (at least) 50 years...remember Eric Dickerson's Trans-Am (late 70's from SMU).

As for Stage One thinking (GREAT reference), how's about this as a consequence (and it has already started with Ewers at Texas): NIL for high school players? Though Texas bans it for high school students, how long before some parent or HS senior litigates it? Texas high schools draw tens of thousands to their games and bring huge money into towns and schools....why can't high school players get a cut of that? Where is the line?

Swarbrick has already spoken to another possible (likely???) consequence: A full break between schools that deliberately become pro-type sports franchises and schools that deliberately choose to maintain a focus on their primary mission - education. Unfortunately for many on this board, ND will MOST LIKELY choose the latter...I'm fine with that...I graduated from a university, not the Green Bay Packers...

Because they want to be the only ones driving nice cars and living in nice houses while the rest of us fend for scraps. Gotta hoard that wealth.

Anyone that spends money on a car when they do not have a steady flow of cash coming in (i.e., full time job/career), is setting themselves up for financial ruin. It's fun for a few years though. These are precisely the reasons so many will crash and burn.

To tell any adult in this country that they cannot make money off of their own name image or likeness is un-American at best. The rule should have never existed and I’m surprised it went on for as long as it did. I agree schools like TAMU are abusing the hell out of NIL during its infancy, hopefully it gets ironed out over the next couple of seasons.
1. Football players have been making money off their NIL for as long as we have had scholarships. Free school. Free tutoring. Free medical and rehab care. Free training table. Free coaching. Free performance development. Free housing. Free transportation. Free venues to display their skills and free promotion of their NIL both locally and nationally. It all adds up at places like ND to well over a million dollars in freebies that directly enhance their personal, athletic and non-athletic professional opportunities.

2. Think about this. Does Stroud have any NIL value at Jackson St? Or Kent St. Or even places like Syracuse or BC? Of course not. But at OSU he becomes wealthy. Why? Because he's really good? Yep. But that would be true elsewhere too. It's moreso because of all that the University and those who came before him did to make OSU football what it is in the market place for college sports.

3. If you think any NIL money for football players at major programs is anything other than a keeping up with the Jones' quid pro quo for a player's services your nuts.

4. Did you know that selection of the starting QB for Texas this year was driven by NIL considerations.

5. To those who have dismissed the opinions of those who have been around longer I say ... Be careful what you ask for. You may get it.

When I went to college, I went home in mid to late May and usually had landed a summer job or two by the end of the month. I don't think I ever made more than $2,000 in a summer, but it was a key portion of my college funding on top of contributions from my family, a meager scholarship, student loans and work study.

Athletes in the major sports are are pretty much expected to remain on campus all year to keep up with studies and, more importantly, keep up with the training demands of their sport.

That's why I support a limited stipend. Don't ask me how much. I just don't think it's right that college athletes are being recruited with multimillion dollar payoffs. And to think we used to think it was bad when kids got free shoes.
Who gives a shit what you support! This doesn't have nothing do with you, and your support is not only utterly immaterial, it is precisely that which the very right-leaning Supreme Court declared illegal. As in were a society of laws, and we don't have warlordism here, and your preference, whether you're some two-bit fan, or you're a consortium of universities working together to bring about and maintain this false and exploitative amateurism. Not you, not ND, not anyone.....

So stop giving your opinion about what you want. Your 'support', as you put it, is the enemy, it's the malefactor.... It's exactly what the Supreme Court struck down, and is defending the players' interests against. The very idea of you supporting something or not, and thinking or proposing that it has any bearing on anything... that's what's illegitimate, and never the fact of these players getting paid to play....

If full athletic scholarship CFB athletes can not survive on a free education, free room, board, and expenses, and leaving college debt free, that is their problem.

Who gives a shit what you support! This doesn't have nothing do with you, and your support is not only utterly immaterial, it is precisely that which the very right-leaning Supreme Court declared illegal. As in were a society of laws, and we don't have warlordism here, and your preference, whether you're some two-bit fan, or you're a consortium of universities working together to bring about and maintain this false and exploitative amateurism. Not you, not ND, not anyone.....

So stop giving your opinion about what you want. Your 'support', as you put it, is the enemy, it's the malefactor.... It's exactly what the Supreme Court struck down, and is defending the players' interests against. The very idea of you supporting something or not, and thinking or proposing that it has any bearing on anything... that's what's illegitimate, and never the fact of these players getting paid to play....
Hhmmm...

So you blast a poster for giving an opinion...on a message board that is 98% opinion driven mind you....
then say his opinion doesn't matter by giving your opinion.

Alrighty then!!!

Reactions: NDblitz
Because they want to be the only ones driving nice cars and living in nice houses while the rest of us fend for scraps. Gotta hoard that wealth.
I seriously doubt they care about being the only ones having luxurious stuff. They just want compensated for the millions of dollars they make their team/conference and they deserve it. Sounds like you hate wealthy people for being wealthy.

Anyone that spends money on a car when they do not have a steady flow of cash coming in (i.e., full time job/career), is setting themselves up for financial ruin. It's fun for a few years though. These are precisely the reasons so many will crash and burn.
Stroud isn't spending money on the vehicles he receiving - it's part of his NIL deal with the car dealership. I also just read - on one of the OSU sites - that he just gave everyone on the team a $500 gift card. Seems like a pretty level headed kid

But that's up to the individual no?

Moreover it's their opportunity to make the most of it.

In case you didn't know 99.7 percent of college football players will never play on Sunday.

It's up to them to take their incredible opportunity and take that highly coveted education seriously because odds are they will NEED the diploma.

Again ask any student who can give a service to the school in exchange for zero cost of anything...a stipend...and graduate 101% debt free.

Yeah we should feel so horribly sorry for the athletes who have to work so hard playing sonething fun and getting a 300k education.

WTFE
Well, they can't really get the same education as the other students. For example labs paired with science classes can run from 1-6pm. The football program cannot really tolerate a starter who wanted to take that class and would steer him into a different major. I would have liked a free degree too but doubt I could have expended the energy it would take.

I seriously doubt they care about being the only ones having luxurious stuff. They just want compensated for the millions of dollars they make their team/conference and they deserve it. Sounds like you hate wealthy people for being wealthy.
If the player is being leased the car for a nominal amount, does he have to pay income tax on the difference?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT