ADVERTISEMENT

CFP approves 5+7 Format

Why? They need to find another conference to be part of. This is the beginning of a new age of CF and you need to conform - not WHINE - or hit the road
Who's whining? Do you think they wouldn't have bolted if the B10, SEC, B12, or ACC offered them to join their respective conferences. OSU and WSU were left holding the bag.

Who's whining? Do you think they wouldn't have bolted if the B10, SEC, B12, or ACC offered them to join their respective conferences. OSU and WSU were left holding the bag.
If you follow the way this is going, the current CF setup is splitting up into divisions. The SEC and B1G will represent the large CF division and the rest the smaller divsion (whatever is left). Would not be surprised one bit to see the SEC and B1G get up to 3 teams each in the Playoffs and everyone else the scraps or remaining bids. It all boils down to MONEY

If you follow the way this is going, the current CF setup is splitting up into divisions. The SEC and B1G will represent the large CF division and the rest the smaller divsion (whatever is left). Would not be surprised one bit to see the SEC and B1G get up to 3 teams each in the Playoffs and everyone else the scraps or remaining bids. It all boils down to MONEY
no sh1t. out of the non-conference champions, the B10 and SEC have a higher probability of getting more teams in because they have more teams within their conferences. However each P4 conference champion gets awarded one of the top 4 slots, and one G5 conference champion gets an automatic slot. The remaining 7 slots go to the highest ranked teams.

Your initial comment was in response to my post regarding OSU and WSU getting screwed. They aren't whining, because no conferences gave them an invite, so they are screwed playing in a 2 team conference.

While I see what you are seeing I also can’t reconcile a big boy division that has teams like Vanderbilt, Indiana, Purdue and northwestern and leaves out teams like Pitt, UNC, Oklahoma State etc

Reactions: NDinNJ
While I see what you are seeing I also can’t reconcile a big boy division that has teams like Vanderbilt, Indiana, Purdue and northwestern and leaves out teams like Pitt, UNC, Oklahoma State etc
They need the Vandy, Indiana, Purdue, Kentucky, South Carolina, Arkansas and Northwestern schools to pad their schedule Add in the 2 FCS teams the SEC plays, the top tier teams are for the most part guaranteed 4 wins each year.

They need the Vandy, Indiana, Purdue, Kentucky, South Carolina, Arkansas and Northwestern schools to pad their schedule Add in the 2 FCS teams the SEC plays, the top tier teams are for the most part guaranteed 4 wins each year.
True but if we are going to gather up the 50 best programs into two mega conferences then let’s actually get the 50 best programs … maybe have a system like soccer where the bottom 10 get sent down each year and the top 10 in the lower division get promoted.

Others need Tennessee State, Navy, Wake Forest, and Central Michigan. Nobody plays 12 tough teams although TV might be forcing CFB in that direction.

Others need Tennessee State, Navy, Wake Forest, and Central Michigan. Nobody plays 12 tough teams although TV might be forcing CFB in that direction.
The BIG plays 3 OOC games against weak competition.

Didn't OSU play ND the last couple of years? Weak competition? Hmmmm. you said it, I didn't
The BIG was playing 4 out of conference games a year. The majority were playing 3-4 cupcakes. osu playing one out of four games against good competition every few years wasn't the norm. Usually they play 4 shit teams and usually all at home.

The best way to fix this is to place more weight on strength of schedule. It should honestly carry the most weight when calculating rankings. The other is not count any games played against lower division teams as it relates to rankings unless it's a loss. Playing an FCS team should have no benefit, but have all the downside associated with it in the chance of an upset.

The best way to fix this is to place more weight on strength of schedule. It should honestly carry the most weight when calculating rankings. The other is not count any games played against lower division teams as it relates to rankings unless it's a loss. Playing an FCS team should have no benefit, but have all the downside associated with it in the chance of an upset.
Exactly! With the two and four team BS playoff system, many of the schools scheduled out of conference games against cream puffs knowing that if they lost one or at most two games they had no shot of getting in.

The BIG was playing 4 out of conference games a year. The majority were playing 3-4 cupcakes. osu playing one out of four games against good competition every few years wasn't the norm. Usually they play 4 shit teams and usually all at home.
You have no idea what the eff you're talking about. Go back and look at the OOC teams OSU has played this century. There's always one major CFB power in it

You have no idea what the eff you're talking about. Go back and look at the OOC teams OSU has played this century. There's always one major CFB power in it
Ugh NO, 2019(FL Atlantic/ Cinci/ Miami OH) 2015 (VTech/Hawaii/N.IL/West Mich). Im not going further back, do your own research. I don't see the power. I do see a LOT of cupcakes though.

They are Cannon fodder

Yes. Three cupcakes like Navy, Tennessee State, and Central Michigan...

Ugh NO, 2019(FL Atlantic/ Cinci/ Miami OH) 2015 (VTech/Hawaii/N.IL/West Mich). Im not going further back, do your own research. I don't see the power. I do see a LOT of cupcakes though.
Well, I guess that makes ND a cupcake too as they haven't beaten the Buckeyes since 1935. I repeat Einstein - 1935. Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!

So with this new format, is it going to impact at all the thinking in weekly ranking voting?

And by that I mean I guess either they're going to do what they've always done in that they just rank 1-25 in whatever order they think the teams are best, or are they going to match their voting to how the playoff seeding works? Because say you would have voted this way for a Top 6 in the past:

1) Georgia
2) Ohio State
3) Notre Dame
4) Alabama
5) Florida State
6) Texas

Will they take the new format into account and vote this way instead?

1) Georgia
2) Ohio State
3) Florida State
4) Texas
5) Notre Dame
6) Alabama

Because really, what's the point of voting Notre Dame 1-4 or 2 teams from the same conference 1-4. It can't work out that way for the playoff anyway. I'm aware that it doesn't mean anything, but I just wonder whether or not voters will take it into account.

I'm trying to be optimistic. Anything is better than the BCS and the 4 team playoff mess. Should make for some interesting and meaningful football instead of the lame bowls that everyone is opting out of these days.

What happens if a 3-4 loss team wins the conference. They get ranked 4th 😂

Still 9-7.
That's irrelevant to the CFP format. A 4 loss conference champion from one of the 4 power conferences gets rewarded with a bye over a Notre Dame team that say goes 10-2 or 11-1.

Giants finished 9-7 and weren't rewarded with a bye, they had to play an extra game on the road no less.

That's a big difference, and if you can't see it, then I can't help you.

ND's biggest issue in the future isn't going to be whether or not any playoff system is going to exclude them, it's scheduling.

As these conferences get bigger, sometime down the line non-conference games are going to be significantly reduced, if not go away altogether. Right now it's 3-4 games, eventually it's going to be 1 or 2 and if it's 2, at least 1 of them is going to be against a light opponent. ND is going to find it more and more difficult to formulate a decent schedule as time goes on.

ND's biggest issue in the future isn't going to be whether or not any playoff system is going to exclude them, it's scheduling.

As these conferences get bigger, sometime down the line non-conference games are going to be significantly reduced, if not go away altogether. Right now it's 3-4 games, eventually it's going to be 1 or 2 and if it's 2, at least 1 of them is going to be against a light opponent. ND is going to find it more and more difficult to formulate a decent schedule as time goes on.
This is the answer and if you read several other boards, the OOC games for the B1G and SEC will be a thing of the past as both conferences keep expanding

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT