ADVERTISEMENT

Can Not Crap Bed First Drive vs Navy

Get Nasty

I've posted how many times?
Jul 26, 2006
ND has crapped the bed the first drive our last 5 games, most of which were 3 and outs. Most of the time we got the ball first as well. There are many reasons why we have done terrible but the main one is book and possibly long come out unbelievably conservative. Even if we throw it early it's a typical 3 or 4 yard pass.

This is a game ND needs to come out with high aggression and execution on offense and score first drive.

ND has crapped the bed the first drive our last 5 games, most of which were 3 and outs. Most of the time we got the ball first as well. There are many reasons why we have done terrible but the main one is book and possibly long come out unbelievably conservative. Even if we throw it early it's a typical 3 or 4 yard pass.

This is a game ND needs to come out with high aggression and execution on offense and score first drive.
Nasty, we all should remember the frustration of losing back to back years against Navy, and the obscene time of possession advantage Navy enjoyed in those games. This is one game where every single possession is critical, and the first series even more so. If we do our normal three and out, and then watch Navy burn the rest of the Qtr with a scoring drive, we’ll be in trouble from the onset. Our offense needs to establish dominance at the line of scrimmage and a rhythm that includes planned QB runs. Always anxious with this game.

Reactions: Kelso86
If ND wins the toss, Kelly should defer to give the D a bit more time to rest coming out of the tunnel in the 2nd half.

Reactions: francade
Nasty, we all should remember the frustration of losing back to back years against Navy, and the obscene time of possession advantage Navy enjoyed in those games. This is one game where every single possession is critical, and the first series even more so. If we do our normal three and out, and then watch Navy burn the rest of the Qtr with a scoring drive, we’ll be in trouble from the onset. Our offense needs to establish dominance at the line of scrimmage and a rhythm that includes planned QB runs. Always anxious with this game.
yep, I don't know what to expect from the D this game. We've done well vs mobile QBs as of late, we are going against that saturday. But this is a different animal. What gives me some hope is the ability for ND to play 4 or even 5 safeties and keep them fresh. I hope to see kyle flying in on some pitches and throwing people for a loss or short gain. Even with DE injuries I think this D is still pretty darn deep to stay fresh. There will be jump balls thrown and who knows.

Offense coming out slow pretty much guarantees long but short day.

If ND wins the toss, Kelly should defer to give the D a bit more time to rest coming out of the tunnel in the 2nd half.
This is one game where I think you absolutely take the ball. You want to do everything you can to get Navy behind.

"Our offense needs to establish dominance at the line of scrimmage and a rhythm that includes planned QB runs."

That is something that has been troubling the last few years -- ND does not control the LOS against anyone

Almost all of our passes are 3-4 yards with the occasional back shoulder sideline throw.

We play scared to fail on offense and you see the results.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Would definitely rather get the ball in the 2nd half. A close game at halftime and navy getting the ball in the 2nd half for a time consuming scoring drive is a recipe for disaster. Give them the ball first, IMO.

Would definitely rather get the ball in the 2nd half. A close game at halftime and navy getting the ball in the 2nd half for a time consuming scoring drive is a recipe for disaster. Give them the ball first, IMO.
I’d rather navy have their backs against the wall coming out of halftime. Best way to do that is get a lead early and expand on it.

The lamest game of the season. Boring to watch and it will be maddening to see them march down the field against an inept defense unable to stop the run. Injuries will pile up. Then we get to watch the pathetic play of our OL and quarterback that will force us to punt or turn the ball over against a service academy team with unranked players who are half the size.

Unless ND defense steps up and makes multiple stops on 3rd down,it's gonna be a long and tedious day. Book needs to take over on first set of plays for scores. If Navy gets behind,they have to adjust schemes.

“I’d rather navy have their backs against the wall coming out of halftime. Best way to do that is get a lead early and expand on it.”

So would I, but I’d much rather have them up 7-0 or 3-0 w/ the whole game ahead of us than them squeezing our 2nd half possessions to nothing w/ a long drive to start the 2nd half. Jmo

“I’d rather navy have their backs against the wall coming out of halftime. Best way to do that is get a lead early and expand on it.”

So would I, but I’d much rather have them up 7-0 or 3-0 w/ the whole game ahead of us than them squeezing our 2nd half possessions to nothing w/ a long drive to start the 2nd half. Jmo

I'm incline to agree with you. I would hate for Navy to have the last drive of the first half and the opening drive of the third quarter.

Reactions: francade
That’s how you beat navy comfortably... take ball and score... deferring is moronic vs navy

Reactions: napy2121
The lamest game of the season. Boring to watch and it will be maddening to see them march down the field against an inept defense unable to stop the run. Injuries will pile up. Then we get to watch the pathetic play of our OL and quarterback that will force us to punt or turn the ball over against a service academy team with unranked players who are half the size.

Isn’t Navy a top 25 team ?

Good call. Thanks for the laugh.

“That’s how you beat navy comfortably... take ball and score... deferring is moronic vs navy”

Ah, what happened nasty, you in an ornery mood cuz book lit it up? I’ll tell you what, since you’re so upset, you get the game ball for suggesting we should take the ball first. That was really the sole reason we won so handily, right? You have got to be the biggest jackass on this board. Now hurry up and cue up the “well, it’s just navy” BS. We’re waiting.

“That’s how you beat navy comfortably... take ball and score... deferring is moronic vs navy”

Ah, what happened nasty, you in an ornery mood cuz book lit it up? I’ll tell you what, since you’re so upset, you get the game ball for suggesting we should take the ball first. That was really the sole reason we won so handily, right? You have got to be the biggest jackass on this board. Now hurry up and cue up the “well, it’s just navy” BS. We’re waiting.
You did it for me.... hope he grows from this game, we’ll know in 2 weeks

You’ll never know. Not in two weeks or two years.

Great call getting the ball first though. You’re a genius for suggesting it. It was THE difference.

Don’t be so down, little buddy. You have two or three more games to rip into the dog killer when he makes a bad play. The future is bright for you.

You’ll never know. Not in two weeks or two years.

Great call getting the ball first though. You’re a genius for suggesting it. It was THE difference.

Don’t be so down, little buddy. You have two or three more games to rip into the dog killer when he makes a bad play. The future is bright for you.
I find it funny that you have to make things up to fit your narrative.... do you look like Adam Schiff too?!

book played really well last
Two games, against inferior opponents. Stanford will be a better test.

You should really just never open your mouth on this board again this year.

“I find it funny that you have to make things up to fit your narrative.... do you look like Adam Schiff too?!

book played really well last
Two games, against inferior opponents. Stanford will be a better test.”

I find it funny that the king of narrative builders is calling someone else out for it. Don’t worry little buddy, there will be some negative book plays in the future that you can turn into another 6 or 7 threads and beat to a bloody pulp. All is not lost.

And no, I don’t look like schiff, you resemble pencil neck to a tee though probably.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT