ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Kelly is 100% right.

Only one coach (with 7 or more seasons) at ND never had a bad season; Ara Parseghian. Rockne in 1928 (5-5), Layden in 1934 (6-3), Leahy in 4-4-1 in 1950, and Holtz in 1986 (5-6), 1987 (8-4), & 1994 (6-4-1). Coach Parseghian worse season happen in 1972 (8-3 .727) &14th in the final AP Poll . The '72 team set the table for '73 championship team and final team in 1974 (10-2).
I am not comparing him favorably to anybody on this list of coaches. Coach Kelly's seventh team is heading toward the ND History Books. Elmer Layden's seventh and last team in 1940 (7-2 .778). The best Coach Kelly's team can do is 10-3 (.769).The team I watched Saturday will be hard pressed to beat Syracuse, Navy, or even Army. We still face tough road games against NC State and USC; and really tough home games against Stanford, Miami, and Va Tech. DeShone and his teammates better find that fire he said they didn't have Saturday or we are DOA. If they don't run out of that tunnel with a fiery determination to win; then somethings wrong with those players. How could the Dukies possibly want it more than the Irish players? To hear his comments go to another popular site and the 15th hour. Board rules prohibit me from posting it here.
The other coaches went 40-2-1 with 2 championships, one award championship by the Mathews Ranking System & 2nd in the AP Poll, and a 4th place finish in the AP Poll. I am saying his record will buy him at least another season based on his record at ND IMHO. Coaches that last longer than seven years at ND seem to have a bad season thrown in with the good.

Matthews: Matthews Grid Ratings (1966-present); a mathematical rating system developed by college mathematics professor Herman Matthews of Middlesboro, Ky. Has appeared in newspapers and The Football News. ----UND.com
But Kelly has had a few bad seasons.

Reactions: Ara64
I'm not one to hit the panic button. I'm too old for that nonsense. The sun always seems to rise the next morning. Having said that, losing to a mediocre MI. St. team at home is bad. Losing to Duke anywhere is sad, just sad. There are no excuses, none that will suffice. I'm an IRISH fan. My hope, like many of you, is that the team can pull itself together and get better each week. Go Irish!

Only one coach (with 7 or more seasons) at ND never had a bad season; Ara Parseghian. Rockne in 1928 (5-5), Layden in 1934 (6-3), Leahy in 4-4-1 in 1950, and Holtz in 1986 (5-6), 1987 (8-4), & 1994 (6-4-1). Coach Parseghian worse season happen in 1972 (8-3 .727) &14th in the final AP Poll . The '72 team set the table for '73 championship team and final team in 1974 (10-2).
I am not comparing him favorably to anybody on this list of coaches. Coach Kelly's seventh team is heading toward the ND History Books. Elmer Layden's seventh and last team in 1940 (7-2 .778). The best Coach Kelly's team can do is 10-3 (.769).The team I watched Saturday will be hard pressed to beat Syracuse or Navy. We still face tough road games against NC State and USC; and really tough home games against Stanford, Miami, and Va Tech. DeShone and his teammates better find that fire he said they didn't have Saturday or we are DOA. If they don't run out of that tunnel with a fiery determination to win; then somethings wrong with those players. How could the Dukies possibly want it more than the Irish players? To hear his comments go to another popular site and the 15th hour. Board rules prohibit me from posting it here.
The other coaches went 40-2-1 with 2 championships, one award championship by the Mathews Ranking System & 2nd in the AP Poll, and a 4th place finish in the AP Poll. I am saying his record will buy him at least another season based on his record at ND IMHO. Coaches that last longer than seven years at ND seem to have a bad season thrown in with the good.

Matthews: Matthews Grid Ratings (1966-present); a mathematical rating system developed by college mathematics professor Herman Matthews of Middlesboro, Ky. Has appeared in newspapers and The Football News. ----UND.com
It's not too much to ask for a major bowl win in seven years that's something those other coaches achieved on the way to their seventh year

Reactions: gavin1989
You guys are seriously awesome! I admire your passion. For a group of dudes who never played or coached football. You really seem to care!!!

Troll. Many of us do have football coaching, and playing experience.

Would you need to be an ex-president to know our country is in trouble?

Would you have to be an ex-dentist to know someone had rotten teeth?

Reactions: Java65
It's not too much to ask for a major bowl win in seven years that's something those other coaches achieved on the way to their seventh year

Apparently it is because the 3 previous coaches couldn't win one either? But hey let's keep firing Head Coaches. That seems to be working well.

Troll. Many of us do have football coaching, and playing experience.

Would you need to be an ex-president to know our country is in trouble?

Would you have to be an ex-dentist to know someone had rotten teeth?

Good point! Except if you had rotten teeth you would want a trained dentist to fix your teeth right?

Apparently it is because the 3 previous coaches couldn't win one either? But hey let's keep firing Head Coaches. That seems to be working well.

It is true a coaching carousel is not the good result but fo you continue with what you know that will not work (and seven years enough for a major Bowl win)

.That's not sestting the bar to high for expectations of its HC is it?

Cool.. you admit Kelly sucks as bad as Weis, Ty and Davie

Actually i did not. I Iillustrated that changing coaches is not helping win Major Bowls. But you guys sure do love Tom Herman.now! That type of admiration is remarkable. You guys are fantastic!!!

Thats one of the reasons why they were fired.

Since Lou lost his last 2 Major Bowls including a world class whipping by Colorado in the 95 Fiesta. ND has now seen 5 coaches over 22 years incapable of winning a Major Bowl.

At what point do you stop firing coaches and look elsewhere for the problem?

Reactions: IrishMike409
Actually i did not. I Iillustrated that changing coaches is not helping win Major Bowls. But you guys sure do love Tom Herman.now! That type of admiration is remarkable. You guys are fantastic!!!
Your argument to keep Kelly is that he didn't win a major bowl just like the last 3 coaches. Yep, you're a RKG.. play not to lose.

I don't understand what you get our of posting a long lecture to the board about how BK is the man and then when you get resistance instead of engaging in discussion defending the position you just go to condescending everyone immediately.

Also I am not sure how the fact that the last 5 coaches inability to win a major bowl somehow supports keeping BK. That position is essentially saying "welp it hasn't been better then this since Lou so we should just accept it and take what we got with BK"

Yea, Kelly is a real leader... Kizer is his latest QB to just walk away while Kelly is trying to talk to him, and Kelly chasing after him like a little puppy. Shows how much respect they have for him.

A team takes on the personality of its coach.. in this case weak, timid and indecisive.
The original poster is clueless.

The team is an extension of the coach or coaches. Some coaches are more business like...some more rah rah.

Saban...Paterno...business like. They turn over every stone to make sure the players are as fundamentally sound as possible.

Carroll was more a rah rah fun guy...but it was a fun way that wasn't a negative.

Harbaugh is more rah rah...

Shaw very business like.

Meyer very business like and the master of exploiting the in game moments.

Sweeney is more rah rah...

Freeze is more like Kelly...getting some good material but no clue how to win and thus his team doesn't know.

I could go on....
But what does Kelly have in common with short list above...

NOTHING.

he acts like he's all business but his teams are always under prepared. Fundamentally unsound. Tackle like shit, have no idea what a good pursuit angle is etc.

He isn't rah rah...

He isn't that care free fun guy like Carroll..

None of the above. See he has no positive identity.
Only arrogance...and ignorance. Him thinking he knows everything when in fact he doesn't really know football 101

Makes him ignorantly arrogant.

That is Brian Kelly

I don't understand what you get our of posting a long lecture to the board about how BK is the man and then when you get resistance instead of engaging in discussion defending the position you just go to condescending everyone immediately.

Also I am not sure how the fact that the last 5 coaches inability to win a major bowl somehow supports keeping BK. That position is essentially saying "welp it hasn't been better then this since Lou so we should just accept it and take what we got with BK"

Either Lou forgot how to coach his last 3 years and ND has hired 4 consecutive bad coaches.

If 5 coaches over 22 years have failed to hit a mark. (Win Major Bowl) And in virtually everyone of those games ND has been outclassed athletically. 94 Colorado 95 FSU 00 Oregon St, 05 Ohio St, 06 LSU, 12 Alabama and 15 Ohio State.

Maybe the mark is too high? ND in that 22 year period has run Power, Option, West Coast, Pro Style and Spread. The have run 3-4, 4-3 and Over Under Defenses.

Every coach that came to ND was highly regarded as either a HC or Coordinator. And they all stink? Then Meyer looked at the job and said no thank you.

You want the answer to the problem? Ask Urban Meyer.

Either Lou forgot how to coach his last 3 years and ND has hired 4 consecutive bad coaches.

If 5 coaches over 22 years have failed to hit a mark. (Win Major Bowl) And in virtually everyone of those games ND has been outclassed athletically. 94 Colorado 95 FSU 00 Oregon St, 05 Ohio St, 06 LSU, 12 Alabama and 15 Ohio State.

Maybe the mark is too high? ND in that 22 year period has run Power, Option, West Coast, Pro Style and Spread. The have run 3-4, 4-3 and Over Under Defenses.

Every coach that came to ND was highly regarded as either a HC or Coordinator. And they all stink? Then Meyer looked at the job and said no thank you.

So what do you propose? I don't think you are on board with lowering admissions standards. So basically you are saying a loss to Duke is acceptable because Kelly is the best coach we can get?

So what do you propose? I don't think you are on board with lowering admissions standards. So basically you are saying a loss to Duke is acceptable because Kelly is the best coach we can?

I assume you would want Urban Meyer to coach ND. But Urban Meyer said no. Why do you think he said no?

Of course I would want UM to coach ND but that is a pipe dream. I realize that the admission standards hurt recruiting. But that should not be a reason to accept a loss to Duke on our home field, even if the talent level has dropped off.

First, you pick out Lou's last 3 years but ignore his previous 8. Lous was not a failed coach.

Second, being a coordinator is entirely different than being a HC. The football world is littered with successful coordinators that are not good HC. That being said Kelly is the only coach hired since Lou that had a resume worthy of being hired. Davie had no HC experience which is a must to coach at ND. Ty was never a successful HC. He had 1 good season at Stanford and other than that was unimpressive. Weis had no HC experience and no college experience.

ND has failed miserably hiring coaches because, besides Kelly, they have failed to hire a coach with a record of success in college.

How is that at all responsive. So b/c ND historically in the last 2 decades hasn't done better then what they got now we should all just say "eh its whatever this is fine"?

Reactions: gavin1989
First, you pick out Lou's last 3 years but ignore his previous 8. Lous was not a failed coach.

Second, being a coordinator is entirely different than being a HC. The football world is littered with successful coordinators that are not good HC. That being said Kelly is the only coach hired since Lou that had a resume worthy of being hired. Davie had no HC experience which is a must to coach at ND. Ty was never a successful HC. He had 1 good season at Stanford and other than that was unimpressive. Weis had no HC experience and no college experience.

ND has failed miserably hiring coaches because, besides Kelly, they have failed to hire a coach with a record of success in college.
You hit that out of the park.

Stanford Stanford, and Stanford.

I'm sick of the recruiting restrictions excuse. Stanford has no problem.

We just got our ass kicked by a similar school...one that basketball is of most importance.

But people want to make excuses of admissions...Wtfe.

That's also an insult to all the other schools in the country who do have standards and work with it.

Here we piss and moan about it.

Get a real ****ing coach ❕

Either Lou forgot how to coach his last 3 years and ND has hired 4 consecutive bad coaches...

Every coach that came to ND was highly regarded as either a HC or Coordinator. And they all stink?
If you don't know whether or not the coaches we hired in that span stunk, which ones went on to have success once they left ND? If ND is the problem surely at least 1 or more of those coaches went on to have success elsewhere, right? Enlighten us.

Brian Kellys record speaks for itself. He's got nothing to prove. He's a winner. Period end of story. If that upsets the resident know nothing cranks on this board. All the better. You boys know nothing about football so by all reasonable metrics you are 100% irrelevant.

A football team takes on the personality of its best players not the coach. Guys like Teo' Z.Martin, Motta, Day, J Smith and W Fuller played with enthusiasm.

This group of young MEN, Luke, Rochelle, Kizer, Folston and Zaire are just a bad group of leaders. And it's created a toxic team. The bad news is ND is stuck with this mix for the next 9 games. The good news is its sounds like BK is sick of their act and they will be gone next year.

As the old saying goes..lead, follow or get the hell out of the way. It's time for Dexter Williams and Co to start rebuilding the spirit of this football team and setting the tone and foundation for 2017.

Personally I would tell Luke, Rochelle, Zaire and Folston you can support your team from the bench and maybe earn some snaps. Or you can leave and prepare for the draft.

Getting Winbush ready to go makes me think he's about to tell Kizer the same thing. Yesterday performance at QB was abysmal for someone who is supposedly a leader and your best player.

The one good thing about a season like this it forces you to put your program under a microscope. Fortunately the guy putting the program under the microscope is one of the best in the business. Brian Kelly is ND most valuable and maybe only asset.

Let the tears start flowing LOL!!!
Just curious. Where did you coach on the college or professional level?

That's also an insult to all the other schools in the country who do have standards and work with it.

What does work with it mean? And what "schools" are you talking about?
Are FSU, OU, Miami, OSU, LSU,, USC, Texas, UF, LSU, UF, Bama, Bama, Auburn, Bama, Bama, FSU, OSU, Bama.

Because those are your last 18 Natonal Champs. No Stanford, No Navy and No Notre Dame. No kidding?

Just curious. Where did you coach on the college or professional level?

Are you curious because you think that one would of had to have coached at the college or NFL level to figure out that 99.9% of the posters on this site are totally clueless?

LMAO!!!!!! That kind of curiosity killed the cat. Thanks for the chuckles shabak.

Adios Amigos stay angry and clueless my friends!!!

Are you curious because you think that one would of had to have coached at the college or NFL level to figure out that 99.9% of the posters on this site are totally clueless?

LMAO!!!!!! That kind of curiosity killed the cat. Thanks for the chuckles shabak.

No...he's curious because he, like everyone else, believe you are a LIAR.

Reactions: cgvr
For the sake of argument, if what you say is correct then you are admitting he is a terrible recruiter?

B I N G O

As Bryan Driskell said - by year 7 this is entirely Kelly's team, Kelly recruits and Kelly's coaching staff - where's the accountability?

If it can be done at Stanford it can be done at Notre Dame

They understand our limitations and they recruit the young man that would fill those limitations at a competitive level.

I use Stanford FYI because they are equivalent to the limitations Notre Dame my face and I like your head coach a lot

To put yourself in the top 1% is an insult to those who truly are the top 1%

Are FSU, OU, Miami, OSU, LSU,, USC, Texas, UF, LSU, UF, Bama, Bama, Auburn, Bama, Bama, FSU, OSU, Bama.

Because those are your last 18 Natonal Champs. No Stanford, No Navy and No Notre Dame. No kidding?

At least Stanford compete at a high level

Reactions: gavin1989 and 88ND

You want to ask....OK. but then you'd rather answer after asking for me.

Or maybe assuming...you seem like that kind of guy.

I haven't said anything about it being all or nothing as you are implying.

Stanford is on a different level than our team...you make what you want of that but I'm not the one only measuring success by championships ..again as you assume and imply.

You guys are seriously awesome! I admire your passion. For a group of dudes who never played or coached football. You really seem to care!!!
I played plenty of football and I don't need an education from you about it. Guys like u who coach jv high school FB think you have the market cornered on football IQ. Take a pill and pipe down. It's a simple game at its core. You make a fool of yourself. This team is BAD. They can't tackle for shit. You know balance up / wrap up and drive your legs thru the ball carrier . You've heard of that right...

I played plenty of football and I don't need an education from you about it. Guys like u who coach jv high school FB think you have the market cornered on football IQ. Take a pill and pipe down. It's a simple game at its core. You make a fool of yourself. This team is BAD. They can't tackle for shit. You know balance up / wrap up and drive your legs thru the ball carrier . You've heard of that right...
He's just some dumb fat guy who hasn't seen his toes in over a decade who cleans the showers after practice.

You want to ask....OK. but then you'd rather answer after asking for me.

Or maybe assuming...you seem like that kind of guy.

I haven't said anything about it being all or nothing as you are implying.

Stanford is on a different level than our team...you make what you want of that but I'm not the one only measuring success by championships ..again as you assume and imply.

The type of offense Stanford runs is a threat to his existence

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT