ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Surprise

FightingIrish44

Fighting Irish Fanatic
May 7, 2009
For me it was the rotation at LB. I know they said it, but dang, they weren’t kidding!!! Kiser, KVA, Bowen, Ausberry, Sneed.

I was skeptical of Ausberry and Sneed playing on the inside but play inside they did. I’m sure there’s plenty to clean up but ND gave up 250 yards and 13 points. One of those FG’s was 50 yards!

Great job D! Locked up those receivers!

For me it was the rotation at LB. I know they said it, but dang, they weren’t kidding!!! Kiser, KVA, Bowen, Ausberry, Sneed.

I was skeptical of Ausberry and Sneed playing on the inside but play inside they did. I’m sure there’s plenty to clean up but ND gave up 250 yards and 13 points. One of those FG’s was 50 yards!

Most athletic group of LBs we've seen in a long long time. And just think if Freeman can get NOB and Faramio. Man watch out.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Not throwing the football down the field farther than 15-20 yards very often.

Reactions: GDFan
Them not throwing it all was surprising. Them not throwing it very often wasn't. New OL, no Faison and Evans

No Sacks.

Christian Gray.

Started shaky but was an absolute beast in the 2nd half.

The play he made on the 4th play stop was so incredibly hard. To diagnose it is one thing but to fight over the pick and make a solid play on the ball… I just think that’s an amazing play to be able to make after playing so many snaps.

Christian Gray.

The play he made on the 4th play stop was so incredibly hard. To diagnose it is one thing but to fight over the pick and make a solid play on the ball… I just think that’s an amazing play to be able to make after playing so many snaps.
X 2.

Reactions: HRC08
Christian Gray.

Freeman came onto the field right after the play saying I told you, I told you

In order to throw the football downfield you have to have the time to get set in the pocket

Did you watch the game or listen to it on radio ?

I was watching the game on my phone from the beach, lol. I was distracted, and wasn't focused on the game, but it seemed to me Riley Leonard was a disappointment. I'll have to watch the game now that I'm home, back in NJ.

I was watching the game on my phone from the beach, lol. I was distracted, and wasn't focused on the game, but it seemed to me Riley Leonard was a disappointment. I'll have to watch the game now that I'm home, back in NJ.
Leonard executed the game plan.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Evan’s not part of the game plan. No deep balls and Thomas was nonexistent

So is Riley a game manager? ND will not win a championship with a game manager at QB.
New offense and inexperienced offensive line. They were playing one of the best defensive lines in college football.
Did you think he was going to throw for 300 yards and score 4 TD',s?

Reactions: ZibbyQuinn
New offense and inexperienced offensive line. They were playing one of the best defensive lines in college football.
Did you think he was going to throw for 300 yards and score 4 TD',s?
no, but he had Book type numbers. Again that's fine, but ND won't be winning a championship with that type of QB

So is Riley a game manager? ND will not win a championship with a game manager at QB.
Is that your take on what you saw? Wow. Riley is way more than a game manager. Drew Pyne was a game manager QB. Riley Leonard is a player who can win games for you, as he did against TAMU. I am not saying Riley was perfect--he obviously wasn't--but he was pretty damn good for a guy who playing his first game for ND. I am bullish on what I saw. He leaves Denbrock a lot to work with.

Is that your take on what you saw? Wow. Riley is way more than a game manager. Drew Pyne was a game manager QB. Riley Leonard is a player who can win games for you, as he did against TAMU. I am not saying Riley was perfect--he obviously wasn't--but he was pretty damn good for a guy who playing his first game for ND. I am bullish on what I saw. He leaves Denbrock a lot to work with.
As i said I was watching the game on my phone at the beach, and was distracted, but it seemed Riley Leonard was a disappointment. I also said I will watch the game now that I'm home.

As i said I was watching the game on my phone at the beach, and was distracted, but it seemed Riley Leonard was a disappointment. I also said I will watch the game now that I'm home.
Were you hanging out with Vinny and Snooki?

I think you will have a different take on things after you watch the game. Riley showed grit and toughness, and he is way more athletic than anyone we have had play QB for a number of years. I also loved Riley's poise. In contrast, former 5* Conner Weigman looked like a deer in the headlights for most of the game. Riley Leonard was a cool customer. The down field passing game needs some work, but I think that will come as the OL gets more experience. I don't remember Riley having a clean pocket for much of the night. Plus, early in the game we weren't able to run the ball at all, so that put it all on Riley's shoulders.

First game. I don't understand how people can't comprehend that. It's crazy

1st game. New, young OL. Road game. No faison or Evans.

Come on wow

Reactions: echowaker
I would like to see Riley show some ability to hit intermediate and deep balls. He needs to show improvement there. If he doesn't show an ability to do that, then teams are just going to crowd the box like TAMU did and make life difficult for him. That is a fair criticism and an area he needs to work on.

First game. I don't understand how people can't comprehend that. It's crazy

1st game. New, young OL. Road game. No faison or Evans.

Come on wow
As I stated I didn't really watch the game, I was distracted. I plan on watching it again when I'm not distracted.

As for my comment about being a game manager, it was in response to someone stating he executed the game plan.

The secondary is nasty. We all knew Watts and Morrison were elite. But the rest of that group can flat-out ball.

Adon, Grey, Heard were all making plays, and played with swag. I'm sure I left a name or 2 out as well.

If the D stays healthy, they can ensure we're positioned to win every game on the schedule. At this point, we have to be locked in on 12-0, and the 5 seed.

Reactions: NDinNJ
The secondary is nasty. We all knew Watts and Morrison were elite. But the rest of that group can flat-out ball.

Adon, Grey, Heard were all making plays, and played with swag. I'm sure I left a name or 2 out as well.

If the D stays healthy, they can ensure we're positioned to win every game on the schedule. At this point, we have to be locked in on 12-0, and the 5 seed.
'Locked in?" I am watching LSU-USC. There is zero guarantee Notre Dame wins at USC.

Should Notre Dame win? Sure.

Locked in? Hell no.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT