ADVERTISEMENT

Angelli Should be the starter.

TalentedMrRippley

Irish Insider
Sep 5, 2022
You play the best players. Leonard can’t throw the ball as well as Angelli and he is also able to run. I think Notre Dame is afraid he’s going to be so successful that carr transfers. it’s just bad coaching. I don’t care what you promised a transfer if you’re not delivering and I’m not saying he didn’t deliver today but he’s not the future of this program then he hast to sit on the bench.

I'm not going to say they would be undefeated....because they freaking lost to Northern Illinois. The whole team doesn't deserve to get off that easy just because of 1 guy.

But so far I would say I haven't seen a whole lot from Leonard to justify him being the starter and getting paid whatever he's getting paid to be there.

I called this since last year. I've seen the kid play in HS, against the best competition in the state. He has the tools.
I literally LOL’d. Oh the best 16-18 year olds in the state you say? And now it’s confirmed thanks to a couple throws against Oregon State and Purdue.

Just giving a hard time. I like Angeli and believe he will perform when called on.

Well he definitely came through as a dual threat today. That was always his calling card. 42-0 at halftime.

Great win but hard to even know what to think, Purdue looked so bad. But as long as this shoulder holds, obviously RL will remain the starter.

You play the best players. Leonard can’t throw the ball as well as Angelli and he is also able to run. I think Notre Dame is afraid he’s going to be so successful that carr transfers. it’s just bad coaching. I don’t care what you promised a transfer if you’re not delivering and I’m not saying he didn’t deliver today but he’s not the future of this program then he hast to sit on the bench.
It's one thing to think he should start over Leonard. That's fair and reasonable.

But it's ridiculous to think that they won't start Angeli because it'll scare Carr off. You clearly have no idea how big time college football works.

It's one thing to think he should start over Leonard. That's fair and reasonable.

But it's ridiculous to think that they won't start Angeli because it'll scare Carr off. You clearly have no idea how big time college football works.
Yeah, I don’t have any idea how big-time college football works although the best quarterback is not starting for some reason. Explain that genius.
Angeli needs to get rid of the ball faster.
I agree, but that comes with experience. Not sitting behind a guy that transferred over because he can run.

Yeah, I don’t have any idea how big-time college football works although the best quarterback is not starting for some reason. Explain that genius.

I agree, but that comes with experience. Not sitting behind a guy that transferred over because he can run.
Your posts make no sense. Have you been drinking this afternoon?

The coaches have landed on Leonard as the starter. They see these guys in practice, film, meetings, conditioning, etc. We see what we see in games. It's their call, and they're still rolling with Leonard. Is it the right call? I don't know. The NIU game was ugly as ugly gets. That said, I still trust the staff to make the right decision. And for the record, I like Angeli. I'd have no problem if he was named the starter.

And I'm 100% sure of this: only a complete idiot (you) would think that they're sitting Angeli because it'll scare Carr off. You're a total goofball if you really think that. Please take it back while you still have a chance to salvage any credibility here.

The coaches have landed on Leonard as the starter. They see these guys in practice, film, meetings, conditioning, etc. We see what we see in games. It's their call, and they're still rolling with Leonard. Is it the right call? I don't know. The NIU game was ugly as ugly gets. That said, I still trust the staff to make the right decision. And for the record, I like Angeli. I'd have no problem if he was named the starter.

And I'm 100% sure of this: only a complete idiot (you) would think that they're sitting Angeli because it'll scare Carr off. You're a total goofball if you really think that. Please take it back while you still have a chance to salvage any credibility here.
Coaches can be wrong, especially inexperienced head coaches.

Reactions: hoopsstar12

We lost to northern Illinois state. Enough said about who should start a quarterback. I realize that you don’t understand how the coaches think but if Angeli produces and leaves them to an undefeated record, what do you think Carr Will do?

We lost to northern Illinois state. Enough said about who should start a quarterback. I realize that you don’t understand how the coaches think but if Angeli produces and leaves them to an undefeated record, what do you think Carr Will do?
And I didn’t call you an idiot. Why do you have to resort to that type of behavior?
No doubt. I like Angeli. I'm just not yet ready to say: Bench RL.

And FWIW: I'm just a damn fan. I see what we all see on tv and I read what we all read here.

It's a tough call.
I respect your comment. It was done out of just being a Notre Dame fan instead of just criticizing other posters I just don’t see any reason to play a guy that’s not gonna be here next year right now. I don’t see anyway we make the playoffs, but even if we did, we’re not gonna get very far. That’s all I’m saying I’m sure Leonard would be a great running back and a division to program but he’s not a quarterback.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Carr will stay and compete. Angeli has 1 more year of eligibility left after this year. Carr will have 4 going into next year and 3 when Angeli leaves.

When Leonard's in there, the offense needs to be running the ball and short passing. And that worked today. We'll see if it works going forward.

Yeah OP is a stooge. Great performance by the whole program...coaches and players!

Reactions: hvillebill
When Leonard's in there, the offense needs to be running the ball and short passing. And that worked today. We'll see if it works going forward.
It should work vs Miami OH, but we'll see what happens vs Louisville.

Carr will stay and compete. Angeli has 1 more year of eligibility left after this year. Carr will have 4 going into next year and 3 when Angeli leaves.
OK, well that’s good news. Thank you for clarifying a guy
I already responded to a similar criticism, and I was more than fair considering it

And I didn’t call you an idiot. Why do you have to resort to that type of behavior?

I respect your comment. It was done out of just being a Notre Dame fan instead of just criticizing other posters I just don’t see any reason to play a guy that’s not gonna be here next year right now. I don’t see anyway we make the playoffs, but even if we did, we’re not gonna get very far. That’s all I’m saying I’m sure Leonard would be a great running back and a division to program but he’s not a quarterback.
I see your point. I do. This situation has me frustrated as well.

I'll say this though: I do believe that this is still a playoff team. The NIU game was a disgrace, but we maybe got on track and figured some things out today in West Lafayette.

If we can beat Louisville, then we're 4-1, with a clear pathway to the playoffs. No one on the schedule is a "sure loss". We can beat all those teams and get to 11-1. Obviously, no more clunkers like last Saturday.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel. ND belongs in this group of 12.

Reactions: Pennick4

Mr Rippley:

I shouldn't have called you an idiot. Please accept my apology. That wasn't right.

Last week aside, we should win easily next week and get Angelli some second half reps. This is essential in case Leonard keeps struggling or gets injured.

And that seems to be what the plan is.

With Angeli in, the offense OPENS UP MORE, so as to have more LONG-STRIKE potential via the air game. But when Leonard's in, the coaches seem to regard him as a LONG-RANGE WEAPON, TOO, and one that can strike VIA HIS LEGS at any moment.

As to the LEONARD OFFENSE working going forward, it could -- against a tough defense -- STALL OUT AGAIN. Not predicting it, just mentioning the possibility. But then, seeing how relatively well Angeli ran the offense best suited to HIS talents, it's good to know that ND has that additional option. Tough to prepare for Leonard AND Angeli in the same week.

Again, Angeli may be needed in the future and not only in a MOP-UP scenario. Situational use of quaterbacks is to me SMART FOOTBALL.

Last edited:
I see your point. I do. This situation has me frustrated as well.

I'll say this though: I do believe that this is still a playoff team. The NIU game was a disgrace, but we maybe got on track and figured some things out today in West Lafayette.

If we can beat Louisville, then we're 4-1, with a clear pathway to the playoffs. No one on the schedule is a "sure loss". We can beat all those teams and get to 11-1. Obviously, no more clunkers like last Saturday.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel. ND belongs in this group of 12.
FSU obviously looks much easier. It’s just going to be difficult to go 11-1 and now 10-2 is even less likely to yield a playoff birth than before the season.

It’s definitely possible.

Reactions: christophero
I vaguely remember Nebraska having two QBs in the Tom Osbourne days.
Bear Bryant used two against ND in the NC Sugar Bowl game on New Year's Eve of 1973. Jeff Rutledge and Richard Todd. ND played really well that night, but those two were a HANDFUL.

Reactions: christophero
Meanwhile in Austin they have a dream scenario...2 potential 1st round qb's...who can flat out sling it...
Ewers 14/16 185 2
Manning 6/9 171 3 in about 8 minutes of play😔🤣

Reactions: NDinNJ
Leonard rushed for 112 yards and led the team to a 42-0 halftime lead. He did not play for much of the second half. Throwing or not, that is pretty good. He did not throw an interception and was 11 for 16.
Speaking of playing 2 QBs, I remember Tebow and another QB sharing reps the first year they won the title.

Last edited:
Reactions: PraiseTheeNotreDame
Leonard rushed for 112 yards and led the team to a 42-0 halftime lead. He did not play for much of the second half. Throwing or not, that is pretty good. He did not throw an interception and was 11 for 16.
Riley is a good runner but I’d rather have a QB who can pass. He has zero TDs in 3 games and two games were against very easy competition. Riley can barely complete 5 yard passes consistently. Angeli deserves more snaps next week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT