ADVERTISEMENT

Alize Jones

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
Alize Jones..formerly Alize Mack...

Is starting to get into a groove on offense.

Something annoying to all hell is he has been lining up split out.

The problem is we can't exploit matchuos with him always lining up split out.

When he lines up beside the tackle he is a total nightmare to defend because a backer most times has to cover him. He's way too athletic for a linebacker to cover him all the time but being split out he gets a defensive back..nickel back..covering him.

He should come out of the three point stance virtually all the time.
The athletic really good tight ends have their most lethal success comimg out of the three point stance beside the tackle.

When he lines up beside the tackle he is a total nightmare to defend because a backer most times has to cover him. He's way too athletic for a linebacker to cover him all the time but being split out he gets a defensive back..nickel back..covering him.

The athletic really good tight ends have their most lethal success comimg out of the three point stance beside the tackle.

You start by getting the name wrong...and you only got worse from there.

Impressive fail.

yeah, imagine if gronkowski always did what you stupidly suggest.....

Reactions: nemeth#5
Linebackers are slower but nickel backs are smaller...seems like a 6'5" tight end on a db who is 6 inches and 50-70 lbs lighter would still be a mismatch.

That's not generally how coverage assignments work. If they have a nickel back, it's probably to match up against our slot receiver. A LB or S will be responsible for the TE. So splitting him out moves a LB out of the box and into coverage or forces the S to tip his assignment. If they decide to put the nickel on Jones because he's split out, that leaves a LB or S covering Finke, which is a matchup we'll take every time.

That's not generally how coverage assignments work. If they have a nickel back, it's probably to match up against our slot receiver. A LB or S will be responsible for the TE. So splitting him out moves a LB out of the box and into coverage or forces the S to tip his assignment. If they decide to put the nickel on Jones because he's split out, that leaves a LB or S covering Finke, which is a matchup we'll take every time.
could not have said it better myself. its all about exploiting mismatches when calling games.

Mack, who I gave up on awhile ago, has found new life with Book throwing to him. He's definitely upped his game the last few weeks.

He may be athletic, but man is he sloooowwwwww.........

Reactions: IrishMike409
I'll eat some crow. I was down on Mack, and ready to move on.....but he's truly had some nice moments and made some great plays. Looking forward to watching him have a great second half.

Mack made a couple carefully worded comments before the Wake game, which, reading between the lines, said he was thrilled with the change to Book. He was careful to not say anything that would look like a criticism of Wimbush.

The change to Book has obviously been very good for him.

Reactions: echowaker
Most times when he's split out its when we are in full blown pass mode. Meaning we have a ton of recievers in the formation. The defense is allowed time to switch players. We do the above quite a bit. So he's matched up with a decent cover guy more than he isn't.
Mack made a couple carefully worded comments before the Wake game, which, reading between the lines, said he was thrilled with the change to Book. He was careful to not say anything that would look like a criticism of Wimbush.

The change to Book has obviously been very good for him.
That change has been great to every pass catcher.
It's much easier to catch the ball when its a tight spiral and on target.
A wobbling ball that arrives at the feet or too high, OFF TARGET...is not fun.

I'll eat some crow. I was down on Mack, and ready to move on.....but he's truly had some nice moments and made some great plays. Looking forward to watching him have a great second half.
Great and this thread wasn't made saying how bad he is. On the contrary. I think he's doing a great job and I think can be even better if he didn't split out as much.

Linebackers are slower but nickel backs are smaller...seems like a 6'5" tight end on a db who is 6 inches and 50-70 lbs lighter would still be a mismatch.
Yep...exvept he's not 6'5
He's really 6'3 ...
Moreover he's like in between size wise. Too big and slow for a receiver and he's not as big as a girthy tight end who dwarfs the cover guy.

I still think he's a very unique talent that would benefit even more coming out of a three point stance more than he does.

He's really 6'3 ...
Moreover he's like in between size wise. Too big and slow for a receiver and he's not as big as a girthy tight end who dwarfs the cover guy.

I still think he's a very unique talent that would benefit even more coming out of a three point stance more than he does.
maybe but the coaching staffs job is to do things that benefit the entire team not the individual player. last time i checked ND seems to be doing just fine in the way they are utilizing their assets on the field.

yeah, imagine if gronkowski always did what you stupidly suggest.....

More comprehension that you severely lack.

I said Gronk is MOST lethal coming out of his three point covering the tackle. Offensive tackle for you who doesn't get that.

Gronk has his fair share of spilt out plays. But he's a much harder defend coming out of his stance by the tackle.

If you don't know why that is then you really are as football juvenile as you sound.

That's right...you don't really sound like anything. You offer nothing up regarding x's and o's just swoop in..make some sarcastic comment in every thread and then back out.

Seems kind of like a weasel to me.

Just sayin

88, have you moved on from questioning the coaches preparedness, play calling, and now nit-picking how our TE's line up?

I understand your response will be something along the line of 'you add nothing to the conversation regarding x's and o's' to which my response will be;" BK and his staff have forgot more about football than both you and I will ever know." (I know you think you know a lot about coaching football).

I said Gronk is MOST lethal coming out of his three point covering the tackle. Offensive tackle for you who doesn't get that.

Gronk has his fair share of spilt out plays. But he's a much harder defend coming out of his stance by the tackle.

If you don't know why that is then you really are as football juvenile as you sound.

That's right...you don't really sound like anything. You offer nothing up regarding x's and o's just swoop in..make some sarcastic comment in every thread and then back out.

Just sayin
i get it just fine. he's hard to defend regardless of where he lines up. your opinion of nds use of Mack is just dumb. it would be different if they weren't having success.

Just sayin
whats your football pedigree again ? oh thats right you either refuse to reveal it or don't have one ( the more likely scenario) .you want to talk x's and o's ? anytime. i forgot more than you'll ever hope to know. how many gameplans have you developed ? how many games have you called plays in ? let's have at it. with you it would be like fishing at Sea World.

Most times when he's split out its when we are in full blown pass mode. Meaning we have a ton of recievers in the formation. The defense is allowed time to switch players. We do the above quite a bit. So he's matched up with a decent cover guy more than he isn't.

The defense is only allowed time to substitute if the offense subs. Even then, they don't get to see the formation first, only personnel. In our base 3WR, 1TE, 1RB set in an obvious passing down, they're probably going to counter with a nickel package. It's pretty rare they would bring in a dime back to cover a TE. And they're not going to move a corner off of Finke just because Alize split out.

Splitting him out forces them to reveal parts of their coverage (and potential blitzers) and also allows him an easier release off the line. The disadvantages are that it's harder to hit a quick hot route against a blitz and he can't chip a DE or block and release.

He's really 6'3 ...

He's listed as 6 foot 4 and 3/4 inches and 247 lbs. Are you saying you took the heights and weights of the players personally and know more than what's listed?

He's listed as 6 foot 4 and 3/4 inches and 247 lbs. Are you saying you took the heights and weights of the players personally and know more than what's listed?
Well...
I argued with the self claimed know it alls that Everett Golson was not 6'1"
I said he was sub Six foot.
Turns out he's 5'10/11

I've said Stephen Tuitt wasn't 6'7"
Yep...he's big alright..not 6'7".

Number inflation have been going on a very very very long time.

The whole point was this...
Alize is bigger than a reciever and slower.

More times than not he's lined up split out either in the slot of all the way out.

He's doing pretty good with that match-up but could be doing even better coming out of the three point where he's virtually guaranteed to get a linebacker on him.

The offense using more traditional play action is a good thing and a nightmare for the defense.

Dexter is a real threat and can get the front seven to bite hard on the play action.

While discussing plays I would love to see the spot pass get tossed right out of the play book.

We run that play against a slower defense and have success at times. The problem is its borderline disaster agaibst the faster defenses.

I'm glad to see a lot of the east west running plays gone. That's a very good thing.

whats your football pedigree again ? oh thats right you either refuse to reveal it or don't have one ( the more likely scenario) .you want to talk x's and o's ? anytime. i forgot more than you'll ever hope to know. how many gameplans have you developed ? how many games have you called plays in ? let's have at it. with you it would be like fishing at Sea World.
You forgot alright. lol...
I love that overused trendy statement. I forgot more than you know.

You still making excuses and telling everyone how stupid they are for saying Brandon Wimbush is not a QB?

I told you BW was going to be benched this year. Wgat say you...
I'm crazy...other posters are stupid. The coach is the lord and Savior and he knows. Everyone is dumb for seeing the reality of it...he can't play QB. At least not here he can't.

Then it happens and what do you say...sarcasm. Nothing more. Imagine that.

I tell you a very real thing that has plagued our coach. Winning big ganes on the road.

I literally laughed out loud when ABC at the beginning of the game said BK has a tough time winning games on the road against good teams. Hasn't beat a ranked opponent of the road since Temple.

With you it's all pixie dust, unicorns and sarcasm.

Go Irish !

Well...
I argued with the self claimed know it alls that Everett Golson was not 6'1"
I said he was sub Six foot.
Turns out he's 5'10/11

I've said Stephen Tuitt wasn't 6'7"
Yep...he's big alright..not 6'7".

Number inflation have been going on a very very very long time.

The whole point was this...
Alize is bigger than a reciever and slower.

More times than not he's lined up split out either in the slot of all the way out.

He's doing pretty good with that match-up but could be doing even better coming out of the three point where he's virtually guaranteed to get a linebacker on him.

The offense using more traditional play action is a good thing and a nightmare for the defense.

Dexter is a real threat and can get the front seven to bite hard on the play action.

While discussing plays I would love to see the spot pass get tossed right out of the play book.

We run that play against a slower defense and have success at times. The problem is its borderline disaster agaibst the faster defenses.

I'm glad to see a lot of the east west running plays gone. That's a very good thing.
OK. Just checking, you don't actually know. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

You still making excuses and telling everyone how stupid they are for saying Brandon Wimbush is not a QB?

I'm crazy...other posters are stupid. The coach is the lord and Savior and he knows. Everyone is dumb for seeing the reality of it...he can't play QB. At least not here he can't.

I tell you a very real thing that has plagued our coach. Winning big ganes on the road.

I literally laughed out loud when ABC at the beginning of the game said BK has a tough time winning games on the road against good teams. Hasn't beat a ranked opponent of the road since Temple.

Go Irish !
your comment in your opening post in this thread that him lining up out wide is annoying you to all hell is quite telling. it's pretty obvious by that statement that your are annoyed because you don't understand why they choose to utilize mack that way and the logic for doing so. not sure why you are bringing up wimbush here with me. i wasn't the one who referred to him as "heavy footed and clumsy ". i never said he was a great QB, but yes he can play QB for ND just not as well as Ian Book can. that must have been yet another discussion you got schooled in by a different poster. you really should quit while you're way ,way behind.

I wish Mack could beat the first tackler. He constantly gets walloped and down he goes. And I’m not talking about the hit in the Michigan game That was vicious

Go Irish !

88ND, there have been a couple of requests for your coaching background but you don't respond to those. If you are just a well-educated fan, say so. I know nothing about the nuts and bolts of football so avoid those discussions. I don't think you need to have been a coach to discuss nuts and bolts but it helps.

So please share with us - do you have a coaching background or are you just a well-educated fan?

BTW, I'm not trying to bust your nuts. There are certain people on this Board who I know have a coaching background and know what they are talking about. Yes, I'm talking about IIO. Are you one of those?

I’m sorry, this is not the Nickelback thread, please move along.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT