ADVERTISEMENT

Mike McGlinchey - Getting Paid!!!

I began this thread to congratulate a former Notre Dame great on the signing of a massive contract. The commentary seemed to have gone sideways. When the conversation steered to the Veteran community, it hit home. You see, I too am a veteran. I served 24 years of honorable service to this country in the United States Naval Service.

Our homeless veteran community and those veterans that continue to struggle to make ends meet is a cause of immense angst for me. Many cannot afford the basic essentials - They deserve better! My hope and prayers are that this oftentimes forgotten community will be remembered and granted support for putting their lives on the line in the name of the United States of America. They need all of America to fight for them, because in many cases they have not the support to fight for themselves. God bless our veteran community and their families! Go Irish!!!

I began this thread to congratulate a former Notre Dame great on the signing of a massive contract. The commentary seemed to have gone sideways. When the conversation steered to the Veteran community, it hit home. You see, I too am a veteran. I served 24 years of honorable service to this country in the United States Naval Service.

Our homeless veteran community and those veterans that continue to struggle to make ends meet is a cause of immense angst for me. Many cannot afford the basic essentials - They deserve better! My hope and prayers are that this oftentimes forgotten community will be remembered and granted support for putting their lives on the line in the name of the United States of America. They need all of America to fight for them, because in many cases they have not the support to fight for themselves. God bless our veteran community and their families! Go Irish!!!
Domer, I was involved in organizing a job fair for unemployed and homeless vets in San Diego County in the early 1980’s. One of the most eye opening and rewarding weekends of my career. It received A ton of press both locally and throughout the State, and it threw a big spotlight on the vet homeless problem as largely a mental health problem; something we as a society tend to shy away from. Today, we have so many homeless squeaking by on SSI/SSP benefits and Other government programs with Self inflicted disabilities from drug addition, etc… that the homeless vet is a lost subset of the population. I appreciate you bringing our attention to their continuing struggle.

Reactions: irishalice

Telx1,​

I am so thankful for you and those like you who have and continue to be a voice for the sometimes voiceless in a very tangible way. I have always said that you never know what a person is going through, but for you acknowledging their presence. You have done that and then some and know that you are appreciated. Saving Lives and Salvaging Dreams - our veterans deserve the effort. God bless you and God bless our veterans and their families. Go Irish!!!!

Domer, I was involved in organizing a job fair for unemployed and homeless vets in San Diego County in the early 1980’s. One of the most eye opening and rewarding weekends of my career. It received A ton of press both locally and throughout the State, and it threw a big spotlight on the vet homeless problem as largely a mental health problem; something we as a society tend to shy away from. Today, we have so many homeless squeaking by on SSI/SSP benefits and Other government programs with Self inflicted disabilities from drug addition, etc… that the homeless vet is a lost subset of the population. I appreciate you bringing our attention to their continuing struggle.
Did you ever participate at the Veterans Village or San Diego (VVSD) Stand Down weekend event? I used to be a counseling intern at VVSD and was also a tent leader at stand down a few times. That experience will change your life.

Thank you for your service. 24 years is a long time. Thank you.

Did you ever participate at the Veterans Village or San Diego (VVSD) Stand Down weekend event? I used to be a counseling intern at VVSD and was also a tent leader at stand down a few times. That experience will change your life.
The event I referenced was in 1981 as I recall, and it was in fact the first Stand Down In San Diego. After making remarks and listening to others on the stage, I spent The Day walking around and rubbing elbows with the vets and just talking and listening. The tent city was immense and the turnout was tremendous, and a great number of vets received counseling or referral to job training or actual job interviews with employers on site committed to hiring, etc…. But many needed long term mental health services and support well beyond what was envisioned with this first stand down. Great to read all these years later about your experience. Thank you for that and helping to jog my memory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT