ADVERTISEMENT

ACC could start to crumble in a few weeks

The fact that both FSU and Clemson filed suits against the ACC over GOR tells you they want out, and if there is a settlement you bet they'll exit.

What is ND doing to respond/ get off this sinking ship fast ?
The ACC is far from a sinking ship in non-football sports. In fact it's the best conference in the country for recent performance in the college director's cup now that Stanford and Cal are on board.

I share your concern for football scheduling, though. We can't put together good schedules if all the blue blood teams are in the SEC & B1G and they only want to play OOC games in the first few weeks of the year. The administration is well aware of all of this. We'll see how they continue to maneuver in these uncertain waters.

The ACC is far from a sinking ship in non-football sports. In fact it's the best conference in the country for recent performance in the college director's cup now that Stanford and Cal are on board.

I share your concern for football scheduling, though. We can't put together good schedules if all the blue blood teams are in the SEC & B1G and they only want to play OOC games in the first few weeks of the year. The administration is well aware of all of this. We'll see how they continue to maneuver in these uncertain waters.
I will try to get enough sleep tonight worrying about this.

Yes they can have a good schedule and they will schedule ND in the later months of the season. This is a business

We'll be fine

Yes they can have a good schedule and they will schedule ND in the later months of the season. This is a business

We'll be fine
The B1G probably stands to make more money from ND joining its conference than from having an extra game or two against us each year. So the smart business move for them is to pressure us in any way possible to join. Each B1G team needs to work out its schedule within the conference framework, so I could picture the whole conference trying to use this as a pressure point.

The SEC, on the other hand, probably doesn't see any realistic scenario where ND joins. So their best money-making move would be to schedule us more often. I would like to see us get on the phone with SEC teams and get some October/November games on paper. They might even see it as a side benefit that they are helping prevent us from joining the B1G.

Reactions: NDinNJ
The B1G probably stands to make more money from ND joining its conference than from having an extra game or two against us each year. So the smart business move for them is to pressure us in any way possible to join. Each B1G team needs to work out its schedule within the conference framework, so I could picture the whole conference trying to use this as a pressure point.

The SEC, on the other hand, probably doesn't see any realistic scenario where ND joins. So their best money-making move would be to schedule us more often. I would like to see us get on the phone with SEC teams and get some October/November games on paper. They might even see it as a side benefit that they are helping prevent us from joining the B1G.
We could schedule some Big games, some SEC games and some Big12 games along with any ACC team that doesn't find a new home along with quality non p3 teams.

We'll be fine. No one is going to want to pressure us into anything and push us to another conference.

Big puts pressure on us to join, okay we're not going to join your conference for not only football but also not for any of our sports. We'll join the Big 12 and make that league stronger and get a bigger deal and then use our weight to get other teams to eventually join up with us. And we're not going to ever schedule the Big in football games again out of conference

Basketball is profitable, but football is the sport that pays the bills for most of the other sports.

Football falling $50 million per school per year behind the SEC and Big Ten drops the conference into second class status.

The fact that both FSU and Clemson filed suits against the ACC over GOR tells you they want out, and if there is a settlement you bet they'll exit.
Even if they leave, the ACC will stay intact. That's why they added Stanford, Cal and SMU - to keep their required numbers for P4 status, in case those others left.

Reactions: Golson5

How about a standing game against the highest ranked SEC team not playing in their Championship Conference game, played in Las Vegas yearly the same weekend as Conference Championship games are played!

How about a standing game against the highest ranked SEC team not playing in their Championship Conference game, played in Las Vegas yearly the same weekend as Conference Championship games are played!

The highest ranked SEC team not in the SEC Championship game will already be in the playoff. I don't think they would be interested in having to play a 13th game the week before the playoff.

Reactions: Quix0te
Even if they leave, the ACC will stay intact. That's why they added Stanford, Cal and SMU - to keep their required numbers for P4 status, in case those others left.
Not necessarily. BIG 10 would look to raid NC, Miami, and possibly one or two more. BIG12 would look to expand and try to snatch up some ACC teams. The conference could implode.

It's crazy to think the BIG 12 is now considered a stronger conference than the ACC, when just a few years ago it was on life support after Texas and Oklahoma announced going to the SEC, and Colorado bolted for the PAC.

Not necessarily. BIG 10 would look to raid NC, Miami, and possibly one or two more. BIG12 would look to expand and try to snatch up some ACC teams. The conference could implode.

It's crazy to think the BIG 12 is now considered a stronger conference than the ACC, when just a few years ago it was on life support after Texas and Oklahoma announced going to the SEC, and Colorado bolted for the PAC.
It's not considered stronger. Just more stable bexause of their tv deals so the members don't want out. Acc is still a better football conference

IMO we would take a hard look at joining the Big East in Hoops and other sports and keep our Independent status in football.

IMO we would take a hard look at joining the Big East in Hoops and other sports and keep our Independent status in football.
I posted the same opinion a few weeks ago and was scolded by several posters. The Big East has better hoops, men and women, plus the travel logistics for all Olympic sports is far easier. And ND would be truly independent in football instead of having five games chosen by the ACC.

I don't know if the Big 10's interested in any more expansion or not. They didn't go after FSU or Clemson; that's why those schools are rumored to the SEC now.

I don't know if the Big 10's interested in any more expansion or not. They didn't go after FSU or Clemson; that's why those schools are rumored to the SEC now.
Clemson and FSU are not AAU members which seems to be a requirement to get an invite to the conference.
Several other schools in the ACC are, which will also expand their TV footprint.

• Haha
Reactions: tbonesays
Clemson and FSU are not AAU members which seems to be a requirement to get an invite to the conference.
Several other schools in the ACC are, which will also expand their TV footprint.
I could see them going after UNC, UVA or Georgia Tech. Those seem to fit their model. However, it's hard to predict. But that could force ND's hand to join the Big Ten, if it added several top ACC programs and the ACC imploded.

The sites some of you go to for college football....I can't imagine where you're getting your "news" from on things that are actually important.

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ

The Big Ten will not "go after" any program until that program is free from the ACC. Believe me, there is definite interest in UNC, FSU and Clemson (roughly in that order).

The Big Ten will not "go after" any program until that program is free from the ACC. Believe me, there is definite interest in UNC, FSU and Clemson (roughly in that order).
That’s why the ACC added Stanford, SMU, and Cal.

I don't think the Big East can sponsor the other sports that are not basketball to Notre Dame's liking.

The sites some of you go to for college football....I can't imagine where you're getting your "news" from on things that are actually important.
It's college football. All it does for me is serve as entertainment on fall Saturday's. Don't worry, I'm not a flat earther, nor do I follow Qnon for news 😂

I find CFB very important. 12 months a year.
You also are dismissive of almost everything that anybody else says 12 months a year. You are really one of the most tiresome posters on this board. Yawn.

You also are dismissive of almost everything that anybody else says 12 months a year. You are really one of the most tiresome posters on this board. Yawn.
At least put "yawn..." in quotation marks.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT