ADVERTISEMENT

5th slot in the 12 team playoff

NDinNJ

I've posted how many times?
Nov 23, 2018
Provides a much easier path to the final 4 than 6-11.

The 5th seeded team will most likely play the G5 team in the 12th slot at home. Win this game and they go on to play either the B12 or ACC champion in round 2. Obviously much easier than having to play a P4 team and then an elite team like UGA or OSU.

Provides a much easier path to the final 4 than 6-11.

The 5th seeded team will most likely play the G5 team in the 12th slot at home. Win this game and they go on to play either the B12 or ACC champion in round 2. Obviously much easier than having to play a P4 team and then an elite team like UGA or OSU.
Yes 5 seed us a huge advantage. That's been the goal since the new system came out. Also, 6 is pretty nice as well

Yes 5 seed us a huge advantage. That's been the goal since the new system came out. Also, 6 is pretty nice as well
I agree, I have a feeling they will start reseeding after 1st round because of the advantage.

I agree, I have a feeling they will start reseeding after 1st round because of the advantage.
I don't see them reseeding. NFL, NHL, NCAA BB don't reseed. They'll expand to 16 before they reseed. Top 4 are set as conference champs, they aren't going to reseed the winners of 5-12
1 vs 8 or 9
2 vs 7 or 10
3 vs 6 or 11
4 vs 5 or 12
If an upset happens in round 1 it happens. Why complicate and make things more controversial.

I don't see them reseeding. NFL, NHL, NCAA BB don't reseed. They'll expand to 16 before they reseed. Top 4 are set as conference champs, they aren't going to reseed the winners of 5-12
1 vs 8 or 9
2 vs 7 or 10
3 vs 6 or 11
4 vs 5 or 12
If an upset happens in round 1 it happens. Why complicate and make things more controversial.
NFL reseeds after Wildcard round.

However, if they did re-seed, they'd only do it if the 12th seed won. So it wouldn't affect the 5th seed if they won.

I'm not a fan of re-seeding, though. They should just leave the bracket as is IMO.

Last edited:
However, if they did re-seed, they'd only do it if the 12th seed won. So it wouldn't affect the 5th seed if they won.

I'm not a fan of re-seeding, though. They should just leave the bracket as is IMO.
IMO, whatever the NFL does, repeat it. Follow that cash cow model.

Yup, you're right the 5th seed wouldnt be affected by reseeding they would play 12,4, winner of 1 vs 8/9.

Reactions: BGI User 756
NFL only has two teams with a bye, and they only reseed for the two teams with a bye.
Yeah i realized reseeding wouldnt effect 5/6 seeds (unless they were upset) but playing 12 then 4 would be a nice path the semi's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT