ADVERTISEMENT

2 games- 2 leads at half- 2 losses

Get Nasty

I've posted how many times?
Jul 26, 2006
Adjustments clearly biggest issue and a few personnel-scheme changes

When do we see freeman and team start playing better second halves than first?

Freeman said it’s closing, he’s wrong, it’s about adjusting in game

Reactions: Airzee23

Maybe if he figures it out after getting more on the job head coaching experience !

Reactions: Airzee23

Maybe when they're not playing the best teams in the country

Oh so every time we play a good team we should expect to fold in the second half?
Wish you were as critical of the previous HC and coaching staff as you are this HC. Where were you after all the blow out losses to Michigan, Miami, Clemson, Alabama? Or the losses to Tulsa, Navy, Cincinnati, etc.?

Wish you were as critical of the previous HC and coaching staff as you are this HC. Where were you after all the blow out losses to Michigan, Miami, Clemson, Alabama? Or the losses to Tulsa, Navy, Cincinnati, etc.?
Ummm, I hammered Kelly big time. I thought and still think he should have been fired after 2016 despite how well he turned it around (he was forced to make the right changes). Hiring his friends will be his downfall at LSU.

I think Freeman has a chance to be better than kelly for a few reasons.

1. People flock to him (ability to hire elite coaches)
2. He checked his ego at the door and is allowing his coordinators to drive their areas (not sold on Rees)
3. Recruiting Recruiting Recruiting

With that being said, from a knowledge of the game and coaching/adjustments, Kelly is way ahead of him right now.

Ummm, I hammered Kelly big time. I thought and still think he should have been fired after 2016 despite how well he turned it around (he was forced to make the right changes). Hiring his friends will be his downfall at LSU.

2. He checked his ego at the door and is allowing his coordinators to drive their areas (not sold on Rees)

With that being said, from a knowledge of the game and coaching/adjustments, Kelly is way ahead of him right now.
So Freeman is allowing his coordinators drive their areas, but yet you blame MF for the lack of adjustments?

Defense played well enough to win. They held the OSU offense to 21 points. The offense was the disappointment. No team is going to win a game scoring 10 points against a high powered offense as OSU.

I'm not sold on Rees either. I thought he was a bad hire when Kelly hired him

Reactions: BGI User 756

Kelly is way ahead of nobody. Now we know that it was Kelly not Marcus who let a far less talented Florida State team back in the game last year.
I am with you on Tommy Rees right now. I was big time on the Tommy Rees bandwagon but after the ultra conservative playcalling Saturday night I now have my doubts.
I kept thinking when we were up 10 to 7 that we needed to start scoring on offense. I knew there was no way that O state was only going to score 7 points.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
Reminds me more of Lou. Was under 500 his first year. Didn’t have the talent he needed. Played a tough schedule and lost close but you could see they played different.

They play diff for MF. He has faced #2 and #5 and went to the wire in back to back games. That one or two plays change the outcome.

We just expect an instant change. What we need is to build on the base of beating the 11+ and winning 75% or the -10.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
Oh so every time we play a good team we should expect to fold in the second half?
No. When we are playing the 2nd best team in the country on the road with a first start QB and only a 3 point lead, we all wanted to win that game but realistically you aren't winning that game.

The ok st game meant nothing to me big picture. I don't consider that his first game as head coach. He didn't have his full staff and he wasn't able to stay with the team every practice because of recruiting. Plus he'll never have someone like Elston running his D.

So Freeman is allowing his coordinators drive their areas, but yet you blame MF for the lack of adjustments?

Defense played well enough to win. They held the OSU offense to 21 points. The offense was the disappointment. No team is going to win a game scoring 10 points against a high powered offense as OSU.

I'm not sold on Rees either. I thought he was a bad hire when Kelly hired him
Yes, coordinators make game plans and get them approved by Freeman. Coordinators will then recommend adjustments and freeman can approve them.

Rees made some minor adjustments but he never adjusted protection. Golden didn't adjust to OSU's run game.

Yeah he crushed those adjustments against Cincinnati last year and Clemson the year prior. How were his adjustments against Alabama in the playoff? What about Michigan in 19. Break down his adjustments to get us back in that game

Reactions: BGI User 756
Yes, coordinators make game plans and get them approved by Freeman. Coordinators will then recommend adjustments and freeman can approve them.

Rees made some minor adjustments but he never adjusted protection. Golden didn't adjust to OSU's run game.
Yeah he did. He made the high power offense punt twice I believe in their first 2 possessions of the 2nd half. Then they got worn down and Stroud made a few big time plays

Technically it’s a one game sample. He was not the HC in the bowl. He was the DC who stepped in.

We have a 1 game sample against a brutal first game draw. I’m in it for 3 years to see what he does.

Some people just don't understand the game at all. Rushing to judgement with a whopping 2 game sample size proves it.
wrong, he struggled with adjustments as DC as well. Remember clark lea typically adjusted and dominated opponents 2nd half of games, last year opponents scored more on us 2nd half than first. Trend continued vs ok state and ohio state.

wrong, he struggled with adjustments as DC as well. Remember clark lea typically adjusted and dominated opponents 2nd half of games, last year opponents scored more on us 2nd half than first. Trend continued vs ok state and ohio state.
Like the Michigan and both Clemson games?

Reactions: NDinNJ

Ok Coach.

Like the Michigan and both Clemson games?
Clark was far from perfect especially recruiting but he typically made excellent adjustments. Sometimes better teams beat you and I expected that against top talent like Ohio state or Clemson but not like last year vs Florida state, a bad UNC team, Virginia tech, etc.

Clark was far from perfect especially recruiting but he typically made excellent adjustments. Sometimes better teams beat you and I expected that against top talent like Ohio state or Clemson but not like last year vs Florida state, a bad UNC team, Virginia tech, etc.
Unc had a very good offense.

I like MF! He has a history of good character and good decisions; there is more to coaching than X’s and O’s or kissing butts!

Please, the guy has forgotten more about football than you would ever hope to know. The more talented team won a very hard fought game on Saturday night. ND will not play a better team the rest of their schedule. 11- 1 is a very reasonable outcome. The sky is not falling.

And per usual, you're wrong, rewatched the game, there were adjustments, but we had critical execution failures, both mental and physical that didn't allow plays to work.

Of course we can continue to read your whinning; perhaps after 2 games we should start firing some coaches, yeah maybe that's the answer. I mean this Freeman guy has had 2 games, heads should roll. ....

Last edited:
Please, the guy has forgotten more about football than you would ever hope to know. The more talented team won a very hard fought game on Saturday night. ND will not play a better team the rest of their schedule. 11- 1 is a very reasonable outcome. The sky is not falling.
Agree, JMO, 11-1 looks more likely than any other record. I think CU is over-rated and USC is just deep enough or talented enough up from. SC will score but not score enough.

If anyone said prior to the game that OSU would only score 21 points, everyone on this board including you would believe ND would win the game. Look at the prediction thread, everyone had OSU scoring in the mid-30's or higher. The defense was fine, the offense was the disappointment.

If anyone said prior to the game that OSU would only score 21 points, everyone on this board including you would believe ND would win the game. Look at the prediction thread, everyone had OSU scoring in the mid-30's or higher. The defense was fine, the offense was the disappointment.
The staff had to be conservative, they had a QB playing in a national game, on national TV, who in the last 2.5 years had very very little actual game experience. They had to be convinced he was up to the moment!

Not as good as 2020 that Lea shut down down for 3 quarters… at home in 2021 they had 100 yards and 3 points more than their average
And MF held USC, Stanford and Navy to lower points than Lea did the last time he faced each of them. We could do this all day.

Reactions: NDinNJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT