ADVERTISEMENT

A Story on Exiting Corporate America By FranchiseCoach

As part of my sponsorship, I am providing my monthly writeup on franchising. Thanks, @MikeSinger!

I have been an entrepreneur for a long time and many of you can relate to my experience. Many people on this board have been in similar situations. I started my entrepreneurial life at Sycamore High School in Cincinnati. My partner and I started a driveway sealing business called the “Driveway Doctors.”

This is not a bragging post. I’m sharing this because I want to share how it feels to say goodbye to a full-time job in corporate America.

My Life in Corporate America

I’ve always considered myself a “corporate refugee.” Even when I worked hard I felt empty and unsatisfied. After graduating, many of my classmates were offered positions where they would have to work more than 80 hours per week. That didn’t sound appealing.

I was short on funds and accepted a sales job for an IT consulting company in Austin, TX. Soon, I realized that Corporate America just wasn’t really right for me. The pay was low. I felt unappreciated and disrespected.

I knew that I wanted something else. I didn’t know what and how to start it. On a visit to my best friend in Atlanta, he recommended I reach out to a Franchise Consultant. I didn’t know what a Franchise Consultant was. I had nothing to lose, so I spoke to her.

THE PROCESS

When I spoke with her, we focused on the following characteristics:
  • A Scalable Business
  • A Business that would provide me with flexibility
  • One with high income potential

My franchise consultant gave me 3 business options. One of them was Vanguard Cleaning. I understood the business and believed that it was the perfect fit for me.

My wife and I ended up buying the master franchise license for Houston.

The American Dream Comes True

I started the business in June, 2010. It’s more than a decade ago but it feels like yesterday. The struggles were real! One month, I had to dip into my retirement account to pay payroll. I had some personal challenges that distracted me from running the business. All of a sudden, things started to change for the better.

The company turned into a multi-million dollar business which I sold to a strategic investor. This allowed me to diversify and buy other investments.

Now, I have a high quality of life. I am able to drop my daughter off at school each morning. I am at every tee ball game. My family goes on extended trips every summer. I can take time off during the middle of the day to go for a swim or jog. I have gained freedom!

Please contact me if you want to find out more:

Adam Goldman
FranchiseCoach.net
713-309-6776

Basketball Notre Dame Falls At Home To N.C. State In Fourth Straight Loss

Numbers and observations from an 80-69 loss to N.C. State, as well as Mike Brey remarks on the brief "Fire Brey" chant at the end of the game:

Reactions: edd1066

MBB Recruiting Tre Mitchell/Hunter Dickinson

Dont know if you guys remember him but he was a center that was leaning towards ND but decided against it because Brey slowed down his recruitment of him due to his pursuit of Hunter Dickinson in the next class. We all know how it turned out with Hunter Dickinson but I noticed Mitchell playing for UMass and I decided to look at his career so far.

In 2 seasons he is averagin 17.8 PPG 7 RPG 1.2 bpg 1.1 SPG 2.0 APG

We can talk about how ND missed out on Dickinson but we flat out rejected someone before him trying to chase a pipe dream. Sad watching him go be successful while ND struggles to keep their head above water knowing he could have helped fill some of the holes ND currently has.

MBB Lineup For Next Year

Assuming no transfers and assuming Brey gets one more chance (which imo if Brey is here there wont be some mass exodus among the current roster and recruits). I think Brey needs to make a point that these last 3 years aint going to cut it. From the defensive effort, to the lack of confidence and leadership, to the inability to win tough games, to the losing mentality this team plays with we need change immediately starting next year. There needs to be a mindset that no one on this current roster deserves anything next year. They dont deserve starting spots. They dont deserve playing time. They dont deserve pats on the back.

There is one way you address all of this at once:

Start Atkinson (this one is obvious) and start Blake Wesley. You need to fundamentally change the composition of this team if you want to see different results. They need people that dont have this loser mentality (which I dont mean as an insult as much as we have seen evidence that this team has mental issues at the worst times which leads to them blowing games they have no business losing and taking themselves out of tough games that they need to win to be a tournament team). Atkinson is the reigning Ivy League player of the year. Wesley thinks he is going to be a lottery pick and ACC player of the year his first year in the league. Say what you want about how that transtions to the ACC but these guy arent coming in with losing mentalites and I think that is something you build around. From a talent perspective Wesley will be our most athletic player and one of our best defenders. Both of which ND desperately needs to improve at. Even if he isnt fully up to speed with the offense right off the bat I think you give him the time and let him develop and the team will be better off at the end of the year as a result of it.

The rest of my starting lineup for next year:
Hubb (he is the best point right now but if Wertz develops and fixes his defensive issues and Hubb remains inconsistent I would be open to Wertz potentially taking this spot)
Ryan (He is the best defender ND has right now and he can handle the point, drive the lane, shoot the ball, also has displayed the most leadership of anyone on this current roster)
Wesley (see above)
Laz (Dont think he needs an explanation but I do think Atkinson will compliment him better and allow him to play more to his strengths than Durham allowed him to do)
Atkinson (Doesnt need an explanation but his scoring and rebounding downlow are going to be a welcome addition)
Bench:
Goodwin (shooter/scorer/great to throw in when we want to go small)
Wertz (secondary ball handler who will relieve Hubb when he gets out of control)
Carmody (defense/driving/ rebounding off the bench- Im hoping for a rich man's Djogo)
Zona /Taylor (need one of the two to be a decent 5 off the bench so we can keep Laz at the 4 as much as possible). If Taylor can bring defense and athleticism to our big man position then I think he would be the guy that I give the nod to.

If Brey does this I think he gives the team the breath of fresh air it needs to be able to get back on track and learn how to win games consistently again that will only get more dangerous as they develop together. They would still have issues but if they can maintain their offensive numbers but improve rebounding and defense through Atkinson and Wesley then it may be enough to get them over the hump.

Request For Your Football Input

As you may have noticed, I've begun the pre-spring countdown from 12 to 1, in order of degree of difficulty, of Notre Dame's 2021 slate. That will be revisited later in the year as well.

In 2020 we could point to Clemson and in 2019 Georgia as the one team on the schedule whose talent is equal to and even superior to Notre Dame's. The rest you could look at and say ND was superior both physically and in overall infrastructure.

The 2021 slate I see no one in that category. USC, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Cincinnati all might be ranked, but I can't point to them as favorites over Notre Dame. North Carolina is even ranked right now No. 7 by ESPN. They could be top 20, but I don't see the Tar Heels as a top-10 operation like Notre Dame is. We all know USC has talent, but coaching and infrastructure have been huge questions there, as well as FSU for that matter.

So who would you rank, in order, as the five toughest games as you see it now for the Irish in 2021. It's not necessarily just about the talent, but when and where you play them. I have a general idea, but would be interested in your own feedback.
Reactions: ND96SC01

Basketball ND Women Face Clemson Tonight, 8:30 p.m. In ACC Tournament

Listed in Charlie Creme's ESPN Bracketology as "the last team in" for the NCAA Tournament, 10-9 Notre Dame (8-7 in ACC) cannot afford a loss tonight against a 10-12 Tigers team (5-12 in ACC) that is reeling with six straight losses.

Notre Dame's most miserable outing this season was on Dec. 20 in a 78-55 loss to Clemson, but the Irish have improved since then while Clemson continues to decline. The addition of Olivia Miles at point guard also has boosted the Irish lineup.

The game will be telecast by RSN, or ACC Regional Sports Network.

OT: Just how talented was the great Cole Porter

I think many of us know the story of how Cole Porter, when he was under contract to MGM, was told that he needed to write a 'cowboy song' for a movie. He simply sat down and wrote 'Don't Fence Me In'.

The story behind the song linked below is even more amazing. Porter was eating lunch with a couple of friends at an expensive New York restaurant. The subject about writing songs came up and Porter reportedly said that there was no subject that he could not write a song about.

A bet was made that Porter could not write a song about murder. Then the other friend went a step further and bet Porter that he could not write a song about the horrible crime of lynching. Porter said that he could.

Just as Porter agreed to the bet, the waiter came up to a table of women and announced loud enough that Porter's table heard him say that "Miss Otis regrets to say that she is unable to lunch today". One of the friends at the table dared Porter to use that as the title for his song about lynching. The result is the linked song, and Porter won the bet.

Now whether the story is true or not - and I have read in more than one article over the years that the story was true, the song has the strangest subject matter I have ever heard. You don't find many songs with seduction, murder and a lynching in the lyrics.

Login to view embedded media
Reactions: TNTIrish and SDS123

OT: Top-10 unwritten rules in baseball

I have linked below a video by Matt Antonelli. He played in the minors and had a cup-of-coffee with the Padres. He now runs a baseball academy and has produced a number of videos. We often hear about the 'unwritten rules in baseball'. I thought it would be interesting to hear what a former professional baseball player says are the top-10 unwritten rules.

Since the video is 15 minutes long and he goes into detail explaining these rules, I felt that I would list the rules for those who do not want to spend the time hearing Antonelli's explanation. According to Antonelli, these rules were expected to be followed at all levels of professional baseball that he played at:

(1) Do not talk to a pitcher if he has a no-hitter going. Stay away from him and leave him alone.

(2) No stealing or bunting with a big lead or if your team is behind by a lot of runs in the late innings of a game.

(3) If an opposing pitcher purposely hits one of your hitters, your pitcher must drill an opposing hitter in retaliation.

(4) Don't pimp a home run. Don't stand and stare at the ball and do a big bat toss.

(5) Don't ever step on the pitcher's mound when leaving or entering the field of play.

(6) Don't bunt to break up a no-hitter.....Antonelli is not a fan of this unwritten rule.

(7) Don't show-up an umpire.

(8) Don't show-up a teammate.

(9) If the benches clear - you must leave the dugout and join the fray.

(10) Stealing signs is part of the game.....just don't make it obvious that you are doing it.

Login to view embedded media
Reactions: smcnd

OT - Hulk Hogan

Crazy dream last night...

I was at the Spring Hill Mall here in Dundee, IL...present day. I’m walking out of one of the corridors into the center area which is more open. As I head down to another corridor of shops, I hear someone call out in a gruff voice, “Jenrette! Jenrette!” I turn around and it’s Hulk Hogan looking pretty rough at a meet and greet kiosk. The Hulkster left the spot on his greeting couch to chase me down for a conversation?! I’m thinking, okay let’s go with this. So he beckons me back to his area and after taking pics/signing autographs for others, I’m invited to sit down for a catch up. As I pass by the Hulkster and take my seat he smells like a stale joint. Out of nowhere comes Mean Gene Okerlund. We all start talking about the good ol’ days of wrestling. I told them it will always be the “WWF” to me and that the switch to “WWE” was the beginning of the end. Then I ask Hogan what his favorite Wrestlemania was? Before he even answers, I say “it has to be 6 when you took on the Ultimate Warrior.” He agreed and I asked if he was a dick like they say he was. He agreed again. Then it was time to go. I posed with Hulk and Mean Gene for a multitude of pics before heading out. I head to an exit and see it’s pouring. I run to my car which happens to be my old red Suzuki Sidekick. I get in and say too myself, “wow, the cats on Facebook will never believe this one, gotta upload these pics ASAP!” Then bam I wake up and check my phone for the pics. Sad to say I can’t share them with you all for proof this really happened...
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT