ADVERTISEMENT

What are your feelings about Kelly's future?

Kelly will be coach in 2016

• Yes... we have a good season and he is back

Votes: 90 81.8%
  • No... we are bad and he is gone

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Yes... he is back although we have a bad season

Votes: 12 10.9%

• Total voters
I doubt Kelly would be fired unless he starts having multiple seasons with 6 or fewer wins, like his last 3 predecessors each had. He hasn't won fewer than 8 games (including bowls), and has been our most successful coach since Holtz.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Ara

10 + W's and Kelly's agent will be banging on NFL doors! If such a season is had and Kelly returns, then best guess is there were no takers.

As to my opinion that Kelly is probably more GM material than HC material; Kelly has skills and those skills are evident in that he is excellent as a manager and organizer. Kelly has obvious administrative talents.
Game day? not so much.

What is your opinion of someone impersonating a board op?

You have zero basis for evaluating kelly's day to day management. You are stating an opinion with zero substance behind it. How does an excellent manager/organizer send 2 guys on the field with the same number?

How does an excellent manager organizer not know the difference between 1 and 2 points and how it will impact the game?

How does an excellent manager organizer send 12 O men on the field to start the season?

How does an excellent manager/organizer start a Bowl game with a timeout to avoid delay of a game?...

That's for starters. He got beat by northwestern and you think he's ready to be NFL GM. Now please tell me how saban would do as an NFL coach (already know that), GM or commissioner? We saw him as coach and it wan't pretty. He's light years ahead of kelly....

Your opinion here is as substantive as you masquerading as a board "moderator".

You are as bad as argus and may in fact be related. You are full of it.

I could go on and on, but your rah rah sis boom bah schtick along with your fraudulent "impersonation" is real old.

Yeah, I'm "slow on the uptake".... You're nailed.

"lemme tell you something; you 2 carry on trashing the board callously, but unlikethe previous version of this forum, the IP addresses are notated here. If an ID gets banned, ALL the ID's from that IP address will be shucking corn!
You might want to learn to post with some degree of respect and civility. I have no reluctance to send you packing.
20perseverare,Saturday at 7:42 PM"

"slow on the uptake? implying?
then if you lose this access ...

22perseverare,Saturday at 9:08 PM"

Yep, and we started this year's spring game with a false start. We started a season with too many men on the field and the guy that wasn't supposed to be on the field was offensive captain TJ Jones.
The most mind blowing thing about Kelly's 5 year tenure is his inability to establish an identity on either side of the ball. Our special teams have also been putrid. The '12 Oklahoma game was the best of his tenure....
Until we start dismantling the northwestern's of the world we'll continue to wallow.
Right now our identity is a lack of consistency, discipline, sound fundamentals.....no one fears us...every lesser skilled team smells upset...
The Bloviator strikes again. Post less and read more.

Penn- I'm curious how that fool cgmr could be on this board since 2010, invited by blah blah, attended blah blah, but seems surprised by Perse's threat to send him to the cornfield. As if he had never heard it before. That's like saying you don't know who 35 is.

I suspect it's a nole.

Penn- I'm curious how that fool cgmr could be on this board since 2010, invited by blah blah, attended blah blah, but seems surprised by Perse's threat to send him to the cornfield. As if he had never heard it before. That's like saying you don't know who 35 is.

I suspect it's a nole.

perse claimed to have authority he didn't.

I suspect it's a nole.

perse has zero authority to send anyone to the cornfield. However, he did posture himself as such.... That's called fabricating, lying.... It's unfortunate.

Also, his notion of Kelly possibly being suited to be an NFL GM was/is preposterous.

I can feelings about Kelly's future.. If ND win many games in 2015 and make to playoff then Kelly can still thinking about to coach any NFL in 2016.

8-5 is the new normal - Kelly is safe.

Unfortunately I agree with you 100% but at the same time I would be happy with a strong 9-10 wins each season, not including a bowl game. I mean I am a realist about this program and don't think there are many coaches who could come here and coach, recruit, and win any better than Kelly has done. The only thing I can't take watching is losing to teams like Northwestern, especially when thy had an average team even for their program, and getting smacked by USC. You can't overlook injuries and the play of EG though so hopefully we have a solid injury free season and get a great idea about Malik's talent level.

Some good replies... Go Irish!

Kelly will be Irish until he retires or ND drops FB.....

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/05/notre-dame-football-pay-players-college-sports

"The NCAA currently produces nearly $11 billion in annual revenue from college sports — more than the estimated total league revenues of the National Basketball Association. The TV ad revenue for the NCAA college basketball tournament was more than $1 billion last year, more than the total revenue of the NFL’s postseason.
By paying the college athletes, the NCAA also has an opportunity to make even more money by advertising, selling the jerseys with the number and name of the college athlete, and in the video game industry. Due to the hours the athletes put in and the revenue the NCAA makes, I think the student athletes should paid."

Coach Kelly will be at ND until he decides to leave or retire. I personally thought one more coach should have been released last February. I would have released Coach Booker and moved Coach Denbrock back to TE and hired a new WR Coach. Coach Denbrock did a remarkable job developing our tight ends for three years while Coach Booker hasn't done much in two years. I suggest we allow this season to play out before judging it either way. The same is true with the hiring of our new position coaches. The program is definitely moving forward considering it was DOA when coach Kelly was hired in December 2009.

there was a lot of skill talent in Dec. 2009; not much depth and a horrible OL.

9 is the grey area!

JMO: 10 and Kelly explores options; no options he returns.
> 5 wins he returns.
If ND wins 5 or less and Kelly returns then there is nothing more one can say!

I don't think ND has ever fired a coach after a winning season, so Kelly is going to be hear as long as he wants.

Brennan
Devine
Holtz if you believe he resigned after being given a choice of getting fired or going out with some dignity.

My memory is that Devine was given the option but either way he wasn't coming back. Holtz is rumored to have been in the same boat but there is less evidence.

So sure, not a firing per se but it is a firing

My memory is that Devine was given the option but either way he wasn't coming back. Holtz is rumored to have been in the same boat but there is less evidence.

So sure, not a firing per se but it is a firing

SAL, I thought a firing was a firing. I just thought Dan Devine wanted to move on because he didn't fit in. I never heard about him being forced out. I am curious as to how you know he was forced out. I am not trying to be a wise a$$---just didn't know and am curious.

BK may have opened up a can of worms by commenting about ND academics and his players. This won't endear him to the traditionalists in and around campus. Is he angling for softer admissions and a wider range of recruits or is he truly concerned about his players academically?

BK may have opened up a can of worms by commenting about ND academics and his players. This won't endear him to the traditionalists in and around campus. Is he angling for softer admissions and a wider range of recruits or is he truly concerned about his players academically?

A can of worms that hopefully produces championship winning football. Coach Kelly is just telling the truth.
And you can't win a college football championship with all "MIT" type students.
6238_large_biovolt-team.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe I am crazy but I believe I read it in a book. I will look on the shelf to see if I can find the source.

Googled it to see if I could see the story without having to look for the book. The tribune reported after he was given a choice and Devine felt pressured to leave. He got buyers rorse and tried to fix his decision and work something out with Joyce but was told he wasn't wanted back. Tribune didn't report it until midway through 80 and by that point both Devine and Joyce wanted to prevent the story becoming a distraction. The denied that version of the story, Tribune stood by it. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:
if ND wins 10-12 games Kelly's agent will work the NFL GM's for a HC position; Kelly wants this and realizes his clock is ticking down. But I am not certain Kelly is viewed by GM's as potential NFL HC. He might be more suited for a GM position.
no evidence to support your opinion.

holtz did the same thing and pushed much harder. different administrations.

Ara

10 + W's and Kelly's agent will be banging on NFL doors! If such a season is had and Kelly returns, then best guess is there were no takers.

As to my opinion that Kelly is probably more GM material than HC material; Kelly has skills and those skills are evident in that he is excellent as a manager and organizer. Kelly has obvious administrative talents.
Game day? not so much.

"10 + W's and Kelly's agent will be banging on NFL doors! If such a season is had and Kelly returns, then best guess is there were no takers." Agree completely. The rest, not so much.

Just hoping this happens so we can move on from this very lack-luster regime. Kelly has taken the program as far as his limited coaching talent can take it. He replenished the cupboard. Brought some stability and structure to the program, but as a coach he is NOT the answer. Next time, go young and go bold - and with luck, someone who really wants to be here.

funny .... best coach we have had in 25 years and he has limited coaching talent ... .694 winning %, first coach in 30 years to not have a losing season in his first five years at ND, took the team to a NC after inheriting a team with little line talent offense or defense ... you will really hate the next coach when we "move on from his lack-luster regime"

"10 + W's and Kelly's agent will be banging on NFL doors! If such a season is had and Kelly returns, then best guess is there were no takers." Agree completely. The rest, not so much.

Just hoping this happens so we can move on from this very lack-luster regime. Kelly has taken the program as far as his limited coaching talent can take it. He replenished the cupboard. Brought some stability and structure to the program, but as a coach he is NOT the answer. Next time, go young and go bold - and with luck, someone who really wants to be here.
you don't think Kelly wants to be there ? weis wanted to be there. hell, I'd like to be there but doubt that I'm the answer. it takes much, much more than that. Kelly is a terrific administrator. that's where it all starts. show me a successful coach who wasn't.

And who might this individual be? It's very easy to say that someone should be replaced. But finding someone who will do the job better is the hard part. Who is it that you want to see replace Kelly?

Last edited:
And who might this individual be? It's very easy to say that someone should be replaced. But finding someone who will do te job better is the hard part. Who is it that you want to see replace Kelly?
exactly. looking back at the last 4 head coaching searches shows that few if any high profile successful coaches showed more than even a passing interest in the position. weis was what the 6th choice ? I think the program is in great hands right now. the foundation is solid. would we all like better results on saturday ? of course. that will never change regardless of who the coach is and how successful they are. we all want to win them all.

Being the best of a 'bad lot' is not my idea of a ringing endorsement. Let's see how '15 plays out and reserve judgments till after game 12.

well, inform us the "Obi"

base your comments on only the ND tenure; cause really nothing else matters.

(you guys with snide personal remarks and include no other contribution ought get another sort of hostility release; try punching a pillow)

well, inform us the "Obi"

base your comments on only the ND tenure; cause really nothing else matters.

(you guys with snide personal remarks and include no other contribution ought get another sort of hostility release; try punching a pillow)

.694 winning percentage at Notre Dame, first coach in 30 years not to have a losing season in his first five years (includes Holtz), ND won 1 bowl game against Hawaii in the prior 15 years, Kelly is 3-2 in bowl games with wins over ACC and SEC, took the team to the title game in his third season, has averaged #11 class in recruiting since being here despite the disadvantages ND has .... .694 winning percentage after following three coaches who combined for a .595 win percentage over two decades ... directly followed two of the worst coaches in Notre Dame history yet didn't have a losing season to start out with

Inform us on why he hasn't been good and please inform us who you think is out there that will take the ND job and be better than a guy who most experts consider a top 10-12 coach in the country

Reactions: perseverare
.694 winning percentage at Notre Dame, first coach in 30 years not to have a losing season in his first five years (includes Holtz), ND won 1 bowl game against Hawaii in the prior 15 years, Kelly is 3-2 in bowl games with wins over ACC and SEC, took the team to the title game in his third season, has averaged #11 class in recruiting since being here despite the disadvantages ND has .... .694 winning percentage after following three coaches who combined for a .595 win percentage over two decades ... directly followed two of the worst coaches in Notre Dame history yet didn't have a losing season to start out with

Inform us on why he hasn't been good and please inform us who you think is out there that will take the ND job and be better than a guy who most experts consider a top 10-12 coach in the country

My post was not directed at you : re your post! that is how to post! whether someone agrees or disagrees you made your case! Way to go. !

Last edited:
Reactions: mh2365
lemme tell you something; you 2 carry on trashing the board callously, but unlikethe previous version of this forum, the IP addresses are notated here. If an ID gets banned, ALL the ID's from that IP address will be shucking corn!
You might want to learn to post with some degree of respect and civility. I have no reluctance to send you packing.

Take the big Yellow pill and the illusions of grandeur will lesson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT