ADVERTISEMENT

5 + 7 + Irish Screwing

I guess I don't understand the title "Irish Screwing." The B1G and SEC are the overwhelming money makers in CF and obviously want to play by their own standards now. Hasn't ND snubbed the B1G several times in the past? So. let the two big boys - B1G and SEC - play for their championship and everyone else - including ND play for theirs. Nobody is forcing ND to do anything or screwing them. You been invited in the past and refused. Now move on.

OSU, Michigan, PSU, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, USC Oregon OK ........ and on and on in one championship ND, Kansas, KSU.....in their own championship. Wanna take a guess which one I'm following> Oh, and Florida State is rumored to be the next school admitted to the B1G or SEC

ND has had their nose up in the air forever......now you're about to face reality. And what happens a 3 or 4 years when the B1G and SEC quit scheduling ND? Laugh, but it's a possibilty
The stupidity in this post is awesome

I guess I don't understand the title "Irish Screwing." The B1G and SEC are the overwhelming money makers in CF and obviously want to play by their own standards now. Hasn't ND snubbed the B1G several times in the past? So. let the two big boys - B1G and SEC - play for their championship and everyone else - including ND play for theirs. Nobody is forcing ND to do anything or screwing them. You been invited in the past and refused. Now move on.

OSU, Michigan, PSU, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, USC Oregon OK ........ and on and on in one championship ND, Kansas, KSU.....in their own championship. Wanna take a guess which one I'm following> Oh, and Florida State is rumored to be the next school admitted to the B1G or SEC

ND has had their nose up in the air forever......now you're about to face reality. And what happens a 3 or 4 years when the B1G and SEC quit scheduling ND? Laugh, but it's a possibilty
Garbage.

The BIG and SEC will never quit scheduling ND --
Yet, but with the addition of all of the new schools........?? There is now talk in both the B1G and SEC about doing away with the "preseason - 3 game" schedule and just have a schedule of all conference games for all of their teams.

Last edited:
This isn't "news". Everyone knew ND, as an independent, wouldn't be eligible for a top four bye week.

If you want to join a conference, then join a conference. Or don't.

But don't expect the benefits of being in a conference without the obligations.

"Oh, and Florida State is rumored to be the next school admitted to the B1G or SEC"

And yep, they will be a middle of the road team either conference. Their "brand value" is highly inflated.
It's not about their "position-brand name" in either conference but more about survival and huge money payout. It can't be that hard to figure out. So should they stay in the ACC and watch that conference evaporate around them with nowhere near the money they could receive from the B1G or SEC. OK, whatever

It's not about their "position-brand name" in either conference but more about survival and huge money payout. It can't be that hard to figure out. So should they stay in the ACC and watch that conference evaporate around them with nowhere near the money they could receive from the B1G or SEC. OK, whatever

Notre Dame will be just fine. No need to worry about us. Now run along.

Yet, but with the addition of all of the new schools........?? There is now talk in both the B1G and SEC about doing away with the "preseason - 3 game" schedule and just have a schedule of all conference games for all of their teams.
This isn't "news". Everyone knew ND, as an independent, wouldn't be eligible for a top four bye week.

If you want to join a conference, then join a conference. Or don't.

But don't expect the benefits of being in a conference without the obligations.
Garbage.

Notre Dame will be just fine. No need to worry about us. Now run along.
Can you even read? The post was referring to FSU dimwit

And ND won't be fine if the big boys (B1G and SEC) quit scheduling ND due to the expanded conferences which is in their talks now

Can you even read? The post was referring to FSU dimwit

And ND won't be fine if the big boys (B1G and SEC) quit scheduling ND due to the expanded conferences which is in their talks now

You're the jackass, jackass. You're over here on an ND board telling us that you have all the answers. GFY.

Georgia would have been in this format.
That’s exactly the point, Georgia would have had to play a 13th game and beat Bama on a neutral field to “earn a bye” or lose and play a 14th game in the form of a first round playoff game. If ND qualifies for a 5-12 playoff spot they will be at worst playing a 13th game with an opponent equivalent to a Conference championship game participant, maybe a lesser team and maybe at home.

ND will join a conference if and when it is their best option. Currently it isn’t. No conference will turn them down. Especially if it means “the other” conference gets them. They are the crown jewel of teams left to court.

Reactions: Kelso86
Not new news but frustrating as hell. Top 4 seeds are highest ranked conference champions. We can go undefeated and get seeded behind an 8-4 Kansas State or a 9-3 North Carolina team we beat by 30. Always have to win 4 game never seeded higher than 5. It's a huge disadvantage. I guess we will get some home playoff games. And without a conference championship game we will be well rested. It'll be like the barnstorming days--playing games and taking names.....
I think some years it may be beneficial, other years not as much.

Last year you would have had m
I don't believe it's a disadvantage, ND doesn't play a conference championship game, the conference champions do, that's their extra game. ND goes 12-0, they come in at #5, they play the #12 seed. That's almost like a warm up game. They advance and play the 4 seed in round 2. That would be the lowest ranked P4 school. Honestly, that's a fairly easy path to the final 4.
Hard to characterize either way I think. Last year - these were your top 12 heading into bowls:

1Michigan13-0
2Washington13-0
3Texas12-1
4Alabama12-1
5Florida State13-0
6Georgia12-1
7Ohio State11-1
8Oregon11-2
9Missouri10-2
10Penn State10-2
11Mississippi10-2
12Oklahoma10-2

Those are all tough games. True, we can’t get into the top 4 but if we ever deserve that we would be in the top 8 anyway which will get us 1 home game, which is all anyone can get. I don’t think there are any guarantees in any of those games.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
I think you're experiencing survivorship bias. We all hear about the prospects that are leaving but not at all about the prospects that stay and develop into top players for their respective schools.
Wrong bias.
ND knew this when the playoff expansion came out -- to stay independent, this is what they gave up -- risk/reward --O
Our ex-AD agreed to it. ESPN was not going to fund something in which ND would not participate.

Reactions: Kelso86
I don't like the automatic second tier playoff status that the ESPN talking heads are orgasmic over. But the point was made that the #12 seed will usually not be the #12 ranked team it will usually be the highest ranked champion of a non-power league. So give credit to Jacky Boy for that.

I don't like the automatic second tier playoff status that the ESPN talking heads are orgasmic over. But the point was made that the #12 seed will usually not be the #12 ranked team it will usually be the highest ranked champion of a non-power league. So give credit to Jacky Boy for that.
They had to include the G5 or lawsuits would have been flying all over the place.

Everyone is talking about ND playing an extra game even if they are 12-0 and ranked #1, but what while the other conferences are having their conference championship games, ND essentially has a bye.

Our current AD Jack Swarbick brokered the best deal possible while maintaining freedom from being tied down to a football conference full time, which is something Notre Dame has valued over everything.
Not this time. IT's as simple as the best four teams get the bye in this system. Beating a 5-7 Ga Tech team by two points does not by itself earn a bye [2014 FSU]

And there it is - ND's elitist self-absorbed attitude. What a joke.
My perception of a snob is a person labeling others as elitist and self absorbed.
Have encountered several Northwestern posters on this board over the years and several seem to have NDDS. 😉

My thoughts is that ESPN recognizes the value of the ND brand and it's fan base which is fact. People that hate the Irish watch them hoping they lose and the people that love the Irish watch period.

Speaking the truth is not being elitist or self-absorbed. Why don't you go somewhere so that other like-minded people can read your drivel?
Exactly why I'm posting on this board. Being a Northwestern grad, I - and many others - consider you guys a step below academically - just the way it is

Exactly why I'm posting on this board. Being a Northwestern grad, I - and many others - consider you guys a step below academically - just the way it is
This is the same guy complaining about ND people being elitist and arrogant. This guy is a USDA prime jackass. The people from Northwestern have always been envious of ND. Some things never change.

Now there's arrogance! Wow, can you say asinine?
How does it feel? Just throwing back in your face. Roam around the different fan boards and ask any of them who the most ARROGANT school-fans are. Wanna bet who they throw out. Here's a hint - I'm currently posting on their board

• Haha
Reactions: irishalice
If you were smart enough to go to NW then you should understand basic economics and why ESPN would not want to exclude a major market share.

Reactions: NDinNJ
How does it feel? Just throwing back in your face. Roam around the different fan boards and ask any of them who the most ARROGANT school-fans are. Wanna bet who they throw out. Here's a hint - I'm currently posting on their board

This guy is just over here to cause trouble. He's a Northwestern fan, which says it all. Northwestern's biggest claim to fame is a sex scandal which their coaching staff tried to cover up. This led to the firing of their coach, the biggest star to come out of Northwestern in 50 years. The coach has now sued Northwestern for firing him. It's one big happy family. But he's over here telling us our problems. Got it.

Some of the fan bases are clearly envious. Envious of the fact that Notre Dame is such a huge brand, they command their own television deal. They also have an equal vote as an entire conference when it comes to the CFP.

Yes, I can see where some other fan bases may be envious of Notre Dame.

How does it feel? I am dying laughing that some Northwestern dufus thinks his smack can upset me. There are plenty of arrogant fan bases and I sincerely doubt if ND tops the list anymore. If you can't put on your big boy pants when visiting another program's board.....maybe you should just stay home.

This is the same guy complaining about ND people being elitist and arrogant. This guy is a USDA prime jackass. The people from Northwestern have always been envious of ND. Some things never change.
I’m sure he’s one of the few dozen Northwestern fans that actually attend their home games. They envy ND because nobody—-including their alums—gives a damn about their team. That’s why he’s beclowning himself over here on an ND board. Does Northwestern even have a board?

I think it's obvious - to EVERYONE - why you guys want to stay out of the B1G. You'd finish in the middle of the conference at best. Let's see,,,,,,how many times has OSU waxed you guys? What, about a dozen straight or something like that. I just read that your last win against them was in 1935. Good God! You need to apply for MAC acceptance where you might possibly win that conference every few years.

I think it's obvious - to EVERYONE - why you guys want to stay out of the B1G. You'd finish in the middle of the conference at best. Let's see,,,,,,how many times has OSU waxed you guys? What, about a dozen straight or something like that. I just read that your last win against them was in 1935. Good God! You need to apply for MAC acceptance where you might possibly win that conference every few years.

You go ahead with your preconceived ideas about why ND does or doesn't do things. No one cares what you think. You have proved yourself to be an arrogant jackass who is envious of ND's success. Boo hoo.

Now tell me Northwestern's relevance to football or any other sport since 1935.

You go ahead with your preconceived ideas about why ND does or doesn't do things. No one cares what you think. You have proved yourself to be an arrogant jackass who is envious of ND's success. Boo hoo.
Northwestern dufus lacks originality with his attempt at smack. Is conference smack and OSU honking all he has? Just sad and rather ridiculous.

Dufus, get back to posting about football cause you bite at smack. Plus it's just not good posting manners when visiting another board.

Reactions: NDinNJ and NDSMC78
I’m sure he’s one of the few dozen Northwestern fans that actually attend their home games. They envy ND because nobody—-including their alums—gives a damn about their team. That’s why he’s beclowning himself over here on an ND board. Does Northwestern even have a board?
You can find discussion of Northwestern on a Nebraska board, about once a year. Otherwise it's time to start ignoring the troll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT