ADVERTISEMENT

5 + 7 + Irish Screwing

melstew

All Star
Feb 2, 2005
Not new news but frustrating as hell. Top 4 seeds are highest ranked conference champions. We can go undefeated and get seeded behind an 8-4 Kansas State or a 9-3 North Carolina team we beat by 30. Always have to win 4 game never seeded higher than 5. It's a huge disadvantage. I guess we will get some home playoff games. And without a conference championship game we will be well rested. It'll be like the barnstorming days--playing games and taking names.....

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Not new news but frustrating as hell. Top 4 seeds are highest ranked conference champions. We can go undefeated and get seeded behind an 8-4 Kansas State or a 9-3 North Carolina team we beat by 30. Always have to win 4 game never seeded higher than 5. It's a huge disadvantage. I guess we will get some home playoff games. And without a conference championship game we will be well rested. It'll be like the barnstorming days--playing games and taking names.....
I don't believe it's a disadvantage, ND doesn't play a conference championship game, the conference champions do, that's their extra game. ND goes 12-0, they come in at #5, they play the #12 seed. That's almost like a warm up game. They advance and play the 4 seed in round 2. That would be the lowest ranked P4 school. Honestly, that's a fairly easy path to the final 4.

I don't believe it's a disadvantage, ND doesn't play a conference championship game, the conference champions do, that's their extra game. ND goes 12-0, they come in at #5, they play the #12 seed. That's almost like a warm up game. They advance and play the 4 seed in round 2. That would be the lowest ranked P4 school. Honestly, that's a fairly easy path to the final 4.
All due respect to Notre Dame, and I have tons of it, ND is not dominant enough to call any game against a #12 opponent a "warm up game..," and frankly, there are no "easy paths..." to the Final 4. None. Heck, last season, Ohio St., Georgia, and Oregon did not even make the Final 4.

It's a disadvantage, yes. But we should get some favorable matchups if we can secure the 5-seed frequently. The 4 seed will often be one of the weakest teams in the whole playoff since each year has some surprise conference champions. So yeah, win lots of games, get the 5-seed, and enjoy at least two rounds of being the favored team.
Frequently haha. Good lord people are delusional.

Who cares. We aren’t playing for a bronze medal. Going to have to beat the best to be the best. A loss to a mediocre team early isn’t a team that belonged anyways. Not to mention we get a home playoff game and don’t have to win a conference championship. Plus it’s a 5+7 system not a 6+6. The PAC 12 falling adds yet another opening. All benefiting ND. Not sure I understand the whining. If we aren’t ranked to 11 by the end of the year without needing a conference championship and determining our own schedule than boo fricken hoo.

Last edited:
A home game vs a lower seeded playoff team would be preferable to a neutral site conference championship game … those conference championship games have been elimination games quite often. Look what happened to Georgia.
Georgia would have been in this format.

we have one less tough game to play then the conference champions or runners up that get in.
this is just more whining from the fools that think being in a conference really means all that much more for ND

Just like in the NFL where you had two years ago a losing TB team in the playoffs because they won a pathetic division.

Stupid giving them a home game but that is the NFL

I had hoped CFB would be a little smarter. But then 12 teams get in so anyone that really deserves a shot at the NC will be in the playoffs; and sadly some that clearly do not

That is why I laugh at those claiming being in a conference would help us out

Look at the Big Ten where last year a rather mediocre Iowa team made it to the conference championship because that division was weak

why does winning a weak division earn you anything?

Reactions: tbonesays
ND knew this when the playoff expansion came out -- to stay independent, this is what they gave up -- risk/reward --

1. No it means we will always play the same number of games as the top 4.
2. It gives Notre Dame a good chance of hosting at least one playoff game per year

I agree there is trade off for independence. I am not commenting on whether it is worth it (there are lots of other threads for that). But, of course, there is a disadvantage here. We can never play just 3 games. We will also have to play quarterfinal games against top 4 seeds. Maybe its "fair" because we don't play a conference championship game. But it is certainly a disadvantage. I am not trying to lay the groundwork here for joining a conference. I am saying that every Power Five School has a chance to be seeded 1-4 and play less games (with the first against a 5-12 seed) except us. I think that sucks. Ask yourself this--"Hey LSU, Oklahoma, FSU, Ohio State, and Oregon--I have a deal for you, you don't have to play a conference championship game, but you can never get a top 4 seed--who says yes?" No one says yes.

I agree there is trade off for independence. I am not commenting on whether it is worth it (there are lots of other threads for that). But, of course, there is a disadvantage here. We can never play just 3 games. We will also have to play quarterfinal games against top 4 seeds. Maybe its "fair" because we don't play a conference championship game. But it is certainly a disadvantage. I am not trying to lay the groundwork here for joining a conference. I am saying that every Power Five School has a chance to be seeded 1-4 and play less games (with the first against a 5-12 seed) except us. I think that sucks. Ask yourself this--"Hey LSU, Oklahoma, FSU, Ohio State, and Oregon--I have a deal for you, you don't have to play a conference championship game, but you can never get a top 4 seed--who says yes?" No one says yes.
ND would have to win 4 straight just like the Conference Champions will have to.

Reactions: NDblitz
To win a title you have to play 16-17 games. ND 12 plus 4. Everyone else 13 plus 3 or in some cases 4 games.

Notre Dame says yes. Beats playing in the Big 10 full time.

Notre Dame says yes. Beats playing in the Big 10 full time.
Yes--well said, we are willing to accept the disadvantages because we value independence. But having to always play a quarterfinal against a 1-4 rested team, never getting to play a 8-9 or 7-11 winner, and having to win 4 straight elimination games is a disadvantage. Note: A conference championship is not an elimination game. If you lose (and have the credentials) you get put where ND starts without losing (5-12). Not impossible, arguably not unfair, still fun, but a real disadvantage.

Reactions: Kelso86
Yes--well said, we are willing to accept the disadvantages because we value independence. But having to always play a quarterfinal against a 1-4 rested team, never getting to play a 8-9 or 7-11 winner, and having to win 4 straight elimination games is a disadvantage. Note: A conference championship is not an elimination game. If you lose (and have the credentials) you get put where ND starts without losing (5-12). Not impossible, arguably not unfair, still fun, but a real disadvantage.
But it's still a game against a top 10 team. Another game. And potentially could knock you out if you lose. It's not like an SEC teams is playing an FCS team week 13. Or an NFL team resting their guys week 18 because they've sealed their seeding. It will be a hard game.

I suppose that's a little unfair to ND, but they're not going to build the format around the one independent powerhouse program, and make sure that they get due seeding by the rules they put into place. It's not even unfair, more like unfortunate.

Because being an independent is a quirky, oddball thing, everybody else is in a conference as they should be. And so they're quite naturally going to build the format around that. And it's ND's tough luck if they don't want to participate so as to serve their own private preferences. It's just tough luck at that point....

Garbage. There are no disadvantages when you avoid playing game 13 in a conference championship game.

Not a disadvantage. I’d rather play a 12 seed at home for a 13th game compared to a neutral site conference title game against a top 2 power 4 team.

On top of that, the 2nd round game would be against the worst power 4 conference champion. Arguably a weaker opponent than a BIG or SEC school that seeds 1-3 would play.

For example, this year if it were a 12 team playoff and we were undefeated, we would’ve played Liberty at home, then a beat up FSU team in the 2nd round. 5 seed has a good chance at being the best seed.

Not a disadvantage. I’d rather play a 12 seed at home for a 13th game compared to a neutral site conference title game against a top 2 power 4 team.

On top of that, the 2nd round game would be against the worst power 4 conference champion. Arguably a weaker opponent than a BIG or SEC school that seeds 1-3 would play.

For example, this year if it were a 12 team playoff and we were undefeated, we would’ve played Liberty at home, then a beat up FSU team in the 2nd round. 5 seed has a good chance at being the best seed.
I think it is a clear disadvantage to never be higher than 5 and always play quarters against a rested team. But you make an excellent point regarding #12. If we are ranked 1-5 we are assigned 5, so we may see the 12 seed more than most. And many years that will be conference 5 champions (which now is a non power conference). That would be followed by the weakest power 4 conference champ--and that 4 seed may be worse than 6, 7, or 8. So, that is a plus for sure. Bring on Middle Tennessee and Iowa State!

I think it is a clear disadvantage to never be higher than 5 and always play quarters against a rested team. But you make an excellent point regarding #12. If we are ranked 1-5 we are assigned 5, so we may see the 12 seed more than most. And many years that will be conference 5 champions (which now is a non power conference). That would be followed by the weakest power 4 conference champ--and that 4 seed may be worse than 6, 7, or 8. So, that is a plus for sure. Bring on Middle Tennessee and Iowa State!
That’s fair. I just view it as ND does get an additional bye week, which would be conference title weekend.

All Power 4 teams must win that game to then get the playoff bye. Imagine being in a conference, making the title game, losing, and then having to play a quarterfinal on top of a conference title game— brutal.

I understand the reason for not being able to get a top 4 seed. My guess is this is too convoluted, but if ND 13-0 after a first round playoff win. In most years, that would earn a #1 ranking or top 2 at worst, so I'd like to see a scenario, in which "re-seeding" happens and they go into the next round as a top 4 seed.

It's a disadvantage, yes. But we should get some favorable matchups if we can secure the 5-seed frequently. The 4 seed will often be one of the weakest teams in the whole playoff since each year has some surprise conference champions. So yeah, win lots of games, get the 5-seed, and enjoy at least two rounds of being the favored team.
They forgot to mention .. the 5 seed always plays the SEC champion first! Lol

I understand the reason for not being able to get a top 4 seed. My guess is this is too convoluted, but if ND 13-0 after a first round playoff win. In most years, that would earn a #1 ranking or top 2 at worst, so I'd like to see a scenario, in which "re-seeding" happens and they go into the next round as a top 4 seed.

I don't like a Conference Champ getting an automatic home game. I'd rather wait till the Conference Championships are played and then just rank them and the Top 4 get home games. Georgia this year was IMO a Top 4 team and they weren't the conference champ.

I don't like a Conference Champ getting an automatic home game. I'd rather wait till the Conference Championships are played and then just rank them and the Top 4 get home games. Georgia this year was IMO a Top 4 team and they weren't the conference champ.
Fair point.

Yes. Alternatively 10-2 and 11-1 can get in with no conference: make the conference champ and lose and you might be out.

There is a disadvantage but I think there could be some advantages as well.

Reactions: NDinNJ
I guess I don't understand the title "Irish Screwing." The B1G and SEC are the overwhelming money makers in CF and obviously want to play by their own standards now. Hasn't ND snubbed the B1G several times in the past? So. let the two big boys - B1G and SEC - play for their championship and everyone else - including ND play for theirs. Nobody is forcing ND to do anything or screwing them. You been invited in the past and refused. Now move on.

OSU, Michigan, PSU, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, USC Oregon OK ........ and on and on in one championship ND, Kansas, KSU.....in their own championship. Wanna take a guess which one I'm following> Oh, and Florida State is rumored to be the next school admitted to the B1G or SEC

ND has had their nose up in the air forever......now you're about to face reality. And what happens a 3 or 4 years when the B1G and SEC quit scheduling ND? Laugh, but it's a possibilty

Last edited:
I think it is a clear disadvantage to never be higher than 5 and always play quarters against a rested team.
I was wondering if I had to point that out. This is the last gift of Savvy Jack, left floating in the stinky bowl.

I was wondering if I had to point that out. This is the last gift of Savvy Jack, left floating in the stinky bowl.
we get the rest when they are playing in the Conference final so frankly I think its all a wash and those whining about it are those morons thinking a conference membership is all that

I guess I don't understand the title "Irish Screwing." The B1G and SEC are the overwhelming money makers in CF and obviously want to play by their own standards now. Hasn't ND snubbed the B1G several times in the past? So. let the two big boys - B1G and SEC - play for their championship and everyone else - including ND play for theirs. Nobody is forcing ND to do anything or screwing them. You been invited in the past and refused. Now move on.

OSU, Michigan, PSU, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, USC Oregon OK ........ and on and on in one championship ND, Kansas, KSU.....in their own championship. Wanna take a guess which one I'm following> Oh, and Florida State is rumored to be the next school admitted to the B1G or SEC

ND has had their nose up in the air forever......now you're about to face reality. And what happens a 3 or 4 years when the B1G and SEC quit scheduling ND? Laugh, but it's a possibilty
"Oh, and Florida State is rumored to be the next school admitted to the B1G or SEC"

And yep, they will be a middle of the road team either conference. Their "brand value" is highly inflated.

"ND has had their nose up in the air forever......now you're about to face reality. And what happens a 3 or 4 years when the B1G and SEC quit scheduling ND? Laugh, but it's a possibilty."

The BIG and SEC will never quit scheduling ND --

Reactions: NDSMC78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT