ADVERTISEMENT

What are your feelings about Kelly's future?

Kelly will be coach in 2016

• Yes... we have a good season and he is back

Votes: 90 81.8%
  • No... we are bad and he is gone

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Yes... he is back although we have a bad season

Votes: 12 10.9%

• Total voters

justacollegefan

Posts Like A Champion
Sep 13, 2009
I thought we could win 9-10 games plus a bowl game with EG and Malik at QB but now I am not sure. Malik looked good against LSU but he is basically coming in like a freshmen, without much playing time, and without an experienced backup available. If he doesn't come through I don't think we win 9 games all together and that is assuming our defense comes back stronger. That side of the ball is just as much a question mark with our issues at secondary and pass rush.

This is a odd time for the Irish because it looks like we have good enough talent to compete with every team on our schedule yet we really don't know. Kids who have been on this team, especially top recruits, need to step up big for an entire team effort.

In terms of Kelly I am not writing this to knock him but I personally think his positive momentum has stopped. Recruiting, development of players, and loss of key coaches aren't good signs. Of course you can't blame him for everything, EG alone cost us some games last year as well as bad injuries... but still there is only so much time you can give a guy afterwards, ie.. this coming season. Hey he is a good coach and will win wherever he coaches, whether at ND or another program, but how many games he wins and who he beats/loses to really effect him with our program. That being said, I am still realistic and know not many coaches could recruit and win at ND today like we were back in the 60's or 70's which sucks.

Okay let's see what people here think. I am going to say we still win 9 and go to a bowl game which will bring Kelly back. Trying to stay positive... Go Irish!

I agree with everything you say. But what if he wins 9, and his bowl game, but repeats his performance against the team in LA? I think he has to do a lot better against them or he's gone.

It will take a complete collapse or a string of mediocre seasons, and perhaps ongoing discipline problems within the program IMHO. Until then, we have a HC. This is a defining year for his ND career IMHO. Maybe not a deal breaker, but very very important. Injuries and suspensions will not be an excuse. If not BK, then who?

Kelly is one of the top 5 coaches in CFB, he won't go anywhere but the NFL if that is what he wants.

I don't think we are to the point where one bad season dooms him.

I also think many people on this board have a different definition of "good season" than Jack Swarbrick does.

it will take a complete collapse for Kelly to be fired. As BGI said 8 wins is the new standard.if and when Kelly leaves, I think he will decide when.
this should be Kelly's year, but just in case it isn't ’t, the excuses will start flowing,
Golson left, Injurues, etc.

if ND wins 10-12 games Kelly's agent will work the NFL GM's for a HC position; Kelly wants this and realizes his clock is ticking down. But I am not certain Kelly is viewed by GM's as potential NFL HC. He might be more suited for a GM position.

This season a 10 win season would be under achieving!
Prepare yourself for another probable letdown. Most gurus (including Vegas) have ND at 9 wins. IMHO, looking at the schedule, that's not only a good season but a fair analysis.

In other words a 10 win season would be considered by most outside of South Bend slightly over achieving but very possible. Also equally possible is an 8 win season, however.

if ND wins 10-12 games Kelly's agent will work the NFL GM's for a HC position; Kelly wants this and realizes his clock is ticking down. But I am not certain Kelly is viewed by GM's as potential NFL HC. He might be more suited for a GM position.[/QUOTE

I think you misspelled "towel boy".

how many 'argie's' are here in this thread compared to 'noles' - they are starting to look/sound alike!
Kelly couldn't beat northwestern and you have him tagged as an NFL GM. Brilliant. Learn the value of unexpresssed thought.

^ intellectually Sterile (all of you!)

Tell me Kelly's qualifications to be a GM. You're pushing Argus for most delusional poster on this board. The guy couldn't figure out that he needed an extra point to put the nw game out of reach. GM NFL hahahahahahaha.....

lemme tell you something; you 2 carry on trashing the board callously, but unlikethe previous version of this forum, the IP addresses are notated here. If an ID gets banned, ALL the ID's from that IP address will be shucking corn!
You might want to learn to post with some degree of respect and civility. I have no reluctance to send you packing.

lemme tell you something; you 2 carry on trashing the board callously, but unlikethe previous version of this forum, the IP addresses are notated here. If an ID gets banned, ALL the ID's from that IP address will be shucking corn!
You might want to learn to post with some degree of respect and civility. I hapve no reluctance to send you packing.
Wow a threat! Let me explain this to you genius. I have one handle on this board and I resent your implying otherwise.
How did saban work out with the Dolphins? Maybe he should be NFL commissioner... Hahahaha. Again, learn the value of unexpressed thought or back up your thoughts on why Kelly would bypass NFL HC and go straight to NFL GM.... PS Your implying that I have more than one handle is disrespectful and if you had access to the IP's you would see that....

Wow a threat! Let me explain this to you genius. I have one handle on this board and I resent your implying otherwise.
How did saban work out with the Dolphins? Maybe he should be NFL commissioner... Hahahaha. Again, learn the value of unexpressed thought or back up your thoughts on why Kelly would bypass NFL HC and go straight to NFL GM.... PS Your implying that I have more than one handle is disrespectful and if you had access to the IP's you would see that....
slow on the uptake? implying?
then if you lose this access ...

slow on the uptake? implying?
then if you lose this access ...
Let me explain this to you real clearly.

You insulted me by implying I had more than one handle.

You further insulted me by implying that I was argus.

If you believe that's appropriate behavior then you're wrong.

Yeah, I called you on your nonsense and told you to learn the value of unexpressed thought.

Let's rehash.

You have no basis for stating that Kelly is qualified to be an NFL HC or GM.

"But I am not certain Kelly is viewed by GM's as potential NFL HC. He might be more suited for a GM position."

How did you arrive at that? You won't answer it because you have zero basis. So, you prefer to make it personal.

The fact that you have authority here and you have allowed dubs, bigfella, epic and all the other handles he posts under to continue has been the biggest blight on this board. It's been that way for years.

If you think your threatening me scares/intimidates, which is apparently what you desire, it doesn't.

I have been more than respectful to 99 % of the folks on the board. I am also an ND grad. Additionally, Wax invited me to post here.

Check the IP's and I'll wait for your apology. Let's see if you're man enough or something else.

can anyone else update me on this character? nole or argie?
Don't try to drag me into this. I don't have the time. It's a full time job trying to corral argus and his 22+ usernames (currently 3-4 active). I have very little time left after dealing with the lies, hypocrisy, thread hijacking, FSU obsession and bias this clown constantly pollutes the board with.

That said, I would bet the mortgage that the "character" you are asking about has ONLY one handle.

Last edited:
The insult is that anyone would think that cgvr would actually have gone to ND. Notre Dame makes mistakes, but that would be as bad as thinking No1e was honest!

The insult is that anyone would think that cgvr would actually have gone to ND. Notre Dame makes mistakes, but that would be as bad as thinking No1e was honest!
This is Sunday...... obviously there's no Day Care today and you have sneaked up from the basement. You sound less mature than my 5 year old grandson so hopefully mommy or at least some more responsible family member has provided some supervision while on furlough from the mental health facility you reside at. You need to be Baker Acted. You're a danger to yourself and others.

Go hijack some other thread.

Tell me Kelly's qualifications to be a GM. You're pushing Argus for most delusional poster on this board. The guy couldn't figure out that he needed an extra point to put the nw game out of reach. GM NFL hahahahahahaha.....
Your reading comprehension skills are kindergarden level or lower. Everytime you post the cumulative IQ of the board drops 10 points. Read more and post less.

so the 'argies, no1es, and cvgr that engage in all that FSU/ND diatribe are 3 ID's (or groups in 2 cases?)

I have had all 3 (3 includes the muliplicities)on ignore for a loong time so a bit out of touch with the 'rediculousness'. The good part of the new format is you can pretty much make these characters dissappear unless quoted.

I return them to the "void". they are all yours!

Perse, seriously, one question for you. Why are you so damn thin skinned? cvgr's comment was pretty benign compared to a lot that is said here, and you act like he just killed your dog, shembo style. Stop acting like a petulant kid and learn to take a bit of criticism.

IMO, it takes a pretty big collapse this season for Kelly's seat to heat up. Something like a 7 and 5 season with some blowout losses to SC and Clemson. If he can avoid key injuries, I think a 10 win season is reasonable.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Your reading comprehension skills are kindergarden level or lower. Everytime you post the cumulative IQ of the board drops 10 points. Read more and post less.
so the 'argies, no1es, and cvgr that engage in all that FSU/ND diatribe are 3 ID's (or groups in 2 cases?)

I have had all 3 (3 includes the muliplicities)on ignore for a loong time so a bit out of touch with the 'rediculousness'. The good part of the new format is you can pretty much make these characters dissappear unless quoted.

I return them to the "void". they are all yours!
Thanks for the apology. The notion of kelly as an NFL GM is obviously something you can't support. The notion is preposterous. Now go use whatever weight you were attempting to throw around for something good like getting rid of Argus and all his handles......

Is someone helping you type today?

Adolescence aside, concerning the original topic, Kelly will leave when he is ready barring some unforeseen event not related to wins and losses. He is the most successful coach since Lou Holtz and Kelly is one H@#@ of a competitor. He wants a bronze statue outside of the stadium. The Irish are a couple of position question marks away from the Nat. Championship. If Malik turns out to be as good as Golson, without the turnovers, and if the Irish can get a pass rush, Kelly MAY reach his goal. Of course every other coach in America wants the same thing and most have less barriers to overcome (recruiting).

Reactions: echowaker
Adolescence aside, concerning the original topic, Kelly will leave when he is ready barring some unforeseen event not related to wins and losses. He is the most successful coach since Lou Holtz and Kelly is one H@#@ of a competitor. He wants a bronze statue outside of the stadium. The Irish are a couple of position question marks away from the Nat. Championship. If Malik turns out to be as good as Golson, without the turnovers, and if the Irish can get a pass rush, Kelly MAY reach his goal. Of course every other coach in America wants the same thing and most have less barriers to overcome (recruiting).

Of the 12 head coaches w/ a min 5 yrs tenure at ND kelly (.692) is outperforming Brennan (.640), Faust (.535), Davie (.583) and Weis (.562).

Factoid: "No Coach" from 1887-1893 tied Davie and beat Weis and Faust.

(Weis made 2 BCS appearances and was a "bush push" from NC game consideration.)

Notre Dame has lost 5 or more games 23 times in 127 years.

We have done it 9 times this century.

14 of the twenty 5 loss seasons are:

Kuharich (4)
Faust (4)
Weis (3)
Kelly (3)

Here are the 23 years of 5 plus losses:

1933 Andersen (coached 3 years)
1956 Brennan (coached 5 years)
1959 Kuharich (coached 4 years)
1960 Kuharich
1961 Kuharich
1962 Kuharich
1963 Devore (coached 2 years)
1981 Faust (coached 5 years)
1983 Faust
1984 Faust
1985 Faust
1986 Holtz (coached 11 years won NC)
1994 Holtz
1999 Davie (coached 5 years)
2001 Davie
2003 willingham (coached 3 years)
2004 willingham
2007 weis (coached 5 years)
2008 weis
2009 weis
2010 kelly
2011 kelly
2014 kelly

Both wins and losses are "skewed" due to different season lengths.
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/active/n/notre_dame/coaching_records.php

We can make a run this year, but only if we display more physicality, discipline, consistency.... on both sides of the ball. Special teams have no where to go but up. I am anxious to see Yoon get going.

Historically ND like PSU has found success by being physical, disciplined, intelligent, techically efficient, dedicated strong willed 'if you won't be beat then you can't be beat' type blue collar teams!
That does not require the eleven best players but it does result in the the best eleven players!

more will to win ... that was the 'game plan' week to week!

there is a phrase we Christians use for worshiping and that is 'dead to self' and that is the style of old ND; the individual put the team goals first and foremost!

Last edited:
Historically ND like PSU have found success by being physical, disciplined, intelligent, techically efficient, dedicated strong willed 'if you won't be beat then you can't be beat' type blue collar teams!
That does not require the eleven best players but it does result in the the best eleven players!

more will to win ... that was the 'game plan' week to week!

there is a phrase we Christians use for worshiping and that is 'dead to self' and that is the style of old ND; the individual put the team goals first and foremost!
Yep, and we started this year's spring game with a false start. We started a season with too many men on the field and the guy that wasn't supposed to be on the field was offensive captain TJ Jones.
The most mind blowing thing about Kelly's 5 year tenure is his inability to establish an identity on either side of the ball. Our special teams have also been putrid. The '12 Oklahoma game was the best of his tenure....
Until we start dismantling the northwestern's of the world we'll continue to wallow.
Right now our identity is a lack of consistency, discipline, sound fundamentals.....no one fears us...every lesser skilled team smells upset...

I agree that we haven't established an identity on either side of the ball. Offensively, the Irish have been very good at times. The same can be said for the defense. The Kelly era started out as a pass first "i want to up tempo" the game. The defense was a 3-4 bend, don't break, with a 4-3 thrown in. I'm not sure what the offense will be this year, but it will be more balanced. In the LSU game, the plan was to slow the tempo by running the ball. The defense now appears to be more of a "break don't bend". The D should have lock down corners which will help. Kelly's best recruiting has been the offensive line. I hope they live up to their potential and we ride them to the promise land.

Reactions: cgvr
I agree that we haven't established an identity on either side of the ball. Offensively, the Irish have been very good at times. The same can be said for the defense. The Kelly era started out as a pass first "i want to up tempo" the game. The defense was a 3-4 bend, don't break, with a 4-3 thrown in. I'm not sure what the offense will be this year, but it will be more balanced. In the LSU game, the plan was to slow the tempo by running the ball. The defense now appears to be more of a "break don't bend". The D should have lock down corners which will help. Kelly's best recruiting has been the offensive line. I hope they live up to their potential and we ride them to the promise land.
The LSU game was a pleasure to watch. We have the horses this year. I am hoping for a physical, impose your will, smart, disciplined, consistent team....

You might want to learn to post with some degree of respect and civility. I have no reluctance to send you packing.

Perse, seriously, one question for you. Why are you so damn thin skinned? cvgr's comment was pretty benign compared to a lot that is said here, and you act like he just killed your dog, shembo style. Stop acting like a petulant kid and learn to take a bit of criticism.

IMO, it takes a pretty big collapse this season for Kelly's seat to heat up. Something like a 7 and 5 season with some blowout losses to SC and Clemson. If he can avoid key injuries, I think a 10 win season is reasonable.

Apparently we can add perse to the list of liars on this board.

Well, perse presenting himself as a moderator places him in argus' territory. That's all you need to know.

Ara

10 + W's and Kelly's agent will be banging on NFL doors! If such a season is had and Kelly returns, then best guess is there were no takers.

As to my opinion that Kelly is probably more GM material than HC material; Kelly has skills and those skills are evident in that he is excellent as a manager and organizer. Kelly has obvious administrative talents.
Game day? not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT