ADVERTISEMENT

Reopening

I had two dorm buddies at ND who were from NJ. One lived in Dover and the other in Elizabeth. I went back east with them during a school break and visited their homes. Though not that far from each other, the two cities could not have been more different. As I recall Dover had lots of green, rolling hills and expensive homes. (Quite frankly, I hadn't expected to see that in New Jersey, but that's on me.) Much of Elizabeth, on the other hand, had a much harder edge to it. Don't know if it is still that way. I had new respect for my buddy seeing where he grew up.

If you don't habla Espanol you would struggle to navigate both communities now.

Reactions: sluggo69
Yes but I can't remember the name of the place.

They would be lined up down the street on Friday after 4 .

Was never much of a Fish and Chip guy though.

Argyle Fish and Chips: people visiting from England, Scotland and Ireland would not miss going there! Kearny Fish and Chips same deal!

Kearny Scots and Irish Americans soccer clubs were among the best in the world, and toured the world. Kearny is the most decorated soccer town in America.

I live in a State of bliss where the Irish were 12 and 0 in 2012. 12 and 0 in 2018. And almost 12 and 0 in 2015. And would have been 12 and 0 in 2013 if Golson wasn't suspended for the entire season and the Irish will go 12 and 0 in 2020 if the doomsayers don't cancel the season !!

Okay, good!

So, will you kindly get off my case because I mentioned -- to someone who ASKED ME -- that I went to school with Jim Delaney?

Reactions: d1042
Okay, good!

So, will you kindly get off my case because I mentioned -- to someone who ASKED ME -- that I went to school with Jim Delaney?

and the whole of it was in context of the overall reminiscent- the comments were wonderful reminders! joyous!

I do recall those Star Ledger articles about Jim Oliver> next Jim Brown!

and the whole of it was in context of the overall reminiscent- the comments were wonderful reminders! joyous!

I do recall those Star Ledger articles about Jim Oliver> next Jim Brown!

Yes, it was great going back over all of that, and it put me right back there.

As for Jim Oliver, the guy was a beast!

I had the same home room and homeroom teacher as Alex Webster, shook hands with Gil McDougall, Elston Howard, Yogi and Phil! But all those guys I asked Sam Dente to autograph my mitt! Maybe I picked the wrong guy?

I had the same home room and homeroom teacher as Alex Webster, shook hands with Gil McDougall, Elston Howard, Yogi and Phil! But all those guys I asked Sam Dente to autograph my mitt! Maybe I picked the wrong guy?

Those were some great players. Team players, too.

You couldn't touch those Yankee teams of the 50's. Five WS wins in a row -- counting the one in 49. Three over the Dodgers, one over the Giants and one over the Phillies.

And between 47 and 56, at least one of the three New York teams was in the Series every year except 48. And in 7 of those years, both teams were from New York.

Golden era of New York baseball and, luckily for some of us, the years of our childhood.

Reactions: d1042
reading all these reopening claims, this country seems to lack ‘staying power’ in the commitment to win the battle against this virus: bad outcome to follow.

And, I wonder what our countries enemies think watching a people seemingly blown about by any wind! A very weak look.

reading all these reopening claims, this country seems to lack ‘staying power’ in the commitment to win the battle against this virus: bad outcome to follow.

And, I wonder what our countries enemies think watching a people seemingly blown about by any wind! A very weak look.

It does make us look soft and so addicted to our cushy lives that we can't stand even the slightest privation -- even if by accepting it, we increase our chances of surviving.

This is how societies lose it.

It does make us look soft and so addicted to our cushy lives that we can't stand even the slightest privation -- even if by accepting it, we increase our chances of surviving.

This is how societies lose it.

If I was Put, I would just sail into NY harbor and annex this country!
Then see what happens when those wimps protest!

a sick nation certainly cannot stand
A nation without freedoms certainly cannot either. The thought the government should dictate how people respond to this is ridiculous. We are all very aware of the threats, it’s time to put the freedoms back into the hands of the people and let them make decisions. Just because a business opens, doesn’t mean people have to go. Let the free market decide and absorb the consequences/benefits as well. Feel like I just described freedom haha

A nation without freedoms certainly cannot either. The thought the government should dictate how people respond to this is ridiculous. We are all very aware of the threats, it’s time to put the freedoms back into the hands of the people and let them make decisions. Just because a business opens, doesn’t mean people have to go. Let the free market decide and absorb the consequences/benefits as well. Feel like I just described freedom haha

The whole world was able to stand together for the benefit of all, but here
it is the ‘me me me’s’ and the world noticed. Shameful and pathetic.

The economy should have never been closed down in the first place . Overreaction.

Reactions: chicity
The economy should have never been closed down in the first place . Overreaction.

To be fair, so much was unknown about Covid-19, primarily because the Chinese wouldn’t reveal the details and still won’t reveal the details.

Throw in the early projections of hundreds of thousand, if not millions of deaths.

Hence, any prudent person would err on the safe side.

One of the problems I see is the application of the “one size fits all” approach.

In retrospect, the Governors probably should have done a County by County evaluation.

The Marines: “Always Faithful”, “The Few, TheProud”

I wonder what the motto would be for the quarantine protesters?
‘the many, the always selfish’
‘leave’m behind’

A weak populace, cannot commit to a-cause even if it means death to family.

The Godless are protesting instead of praying. God is watching.

Last edited:

‘leave’m behind’

The Army Infantry: "Follow Me" quarantine supporters "cut and run"

or like it’s Death to Grandma and Grandpa!
call the executors!

Last edited:

‘leave’m behind’

You better believe it OLDMAN !! I am leaving no one behind !! I am deemed an essential worker and have to work long hours everyday potentially being exposed to the virus ! I am on the FRONT lines as every Marine should !! Not hiding alone eating icecream while wearing a buttoned down grey sweater with a siamese cat on your lap !

And I support the revolution in California and Boston and the rest of America ! To save our Country and let others back to work ! You are a coward who doesn't need money so you want others to be poor jobless and destitute !
Purse--you were never in the Marine corps because you are toooooo soft !!

And stop it with the holier than thou prayers ! You must be Jim Bakker ! My condolences to you on losing your lovely wife Tammy Faye !!

From the halls of Montezuma to the shores ofTripoli ! We will fight our Nations battles on Air and Land and sea !!! And I will fight for Americans right to make a living !!

Reactions: chicity and Golson5
So! if you don’t care about the seniors, then maybe you heard about the illnesses appearing in children that seemed linked to covid!
So, Is a child’s life too much to pay for your day at the beach? park?
If not, what is? Is inconvenience just too much for a life?

75,000 to die so many can ‘play’ and party.

Will you be inthe ‘dead’, lottery?

I wonder what the men in the Services are thinking about the average citizen!
Do you really want to put you life on the line for the likes of those cowards?
They won’t protect each other, butthey are asking to be defended!?
Shameful Lot (pun intended)

I wonder what the men in the Services are thinking about the average citizen!
Do you really want to put you life on the line for the likes of those cowards?
They won’t protect each other, butthey are asking to be defended!?
Shameful Lot (pun intended)
The UK scientist whose doomsday predictions triggered a massive lockdown on both sides of the Atlantic has resigned his government advisory position, amid claims he broke the strict lockdown rules he pushed to meet his married lover.

Professor Neil Ferguson, an epidemiologist of Imperial College, London resigned from his role as a senior scientific advisor to the British government Tuesday evening.

since this is a ‘blaming’ country, who will be the target come late June?
because this virus is not done with us! forget the economy, social structure could collapse. The projections out today are dire! I hope the Gov. of Ga. goes in for his tat and a massage before it is too late!

“The faster we reopen, the lower the economic cost but the higher the human cost,” New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said today during his daily briefing. “That my friends, is the decision we are really making.”

And it may be that the world the survivors find themselves living in is a world they do not want to live in!

Last edited:
because this virus is not done with us! forget the economy, social structure could collapse. The projections out today are dire! I hope the Gov. of Ga. goes in for his tat and a massage before it is too late!

“The faster we reopen, the lower the economic cost but the higher the human cost,” New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said today during his daily briefing. “That my friends, is the decision we are really making.”

And it may be that the world the survivors find themselves living in is a world they do not want to live in!
Are you out of your fricking mind? Quit the hysteria doom and gloom BS, stirring up BS trying to scare people. .37% of the population have recorded cases and .02% have died if you want to believe the over inflated numbers of 72000 deaths. Stay and hide in your house for the next 12-18 months if you so choose, most people need to get back to work and live their damn lives. This BS has gone on long enough.

Are you out of your fricking mind? Quit the hysteria doom and gloom BS, stirring up BS trying to scare people. .37% of the population have recorded cases and .02% have died if you want to believe the over inflated numbers of 72000 deaths. Stay and hide in your house for the next 12-18 months if you so choose, most people need to get back to work and live their damn lives. This BS has gone on long enough.

bye bye to you, useless!

Says the guy who sent diagnosed seniors from the Assisted Living Facilities back to them from the Hospital.

Any data points on how many lives that cost ?

here is the thing, I don’t have to be correct, you do!

72000 deaths is not BS or hysteria. 55000 deaths/month is not doom and gloom BS. It was our April 2020 in the USA.

We all agree that we need to figure out a way to get back to work and live, but let’s not gloss over the reality of the situation. At least not for those of us risking our lives on a daily basis or for those who have lost loved ones already. This “BS” may have gone on too long for you, but it’s not going to magically go away. I agree with you, we can not run and hide for the next 12-18 months. But we also can not ignore the pain associated with the possibility 50000 dead Americans every month either.

72000 deaths is not BS or hysteria. 55000 deaths/month is not doom and gloom BS. It was our April 2020 in the USA.

We all agree that we need to figure out a way to get back to work and live, but let’s not gloss over the reality of the situation. At least not for those of us risking our lives on a daily basis or for those who have lost loved ones already. This “BS” may have gone on too long for you, but it’s not going to magically go away. I agree with you, we can not run and hide for the next 12-18 months. But we also can not ignore the pain associated with the possibility 50000 dead Americans every month either.

What really has changed? not the virus! still no treatment! still no vaccine!
So, what has changed? The virus has not weakened nor tired.
People are still dying all over the country and world!
So what has changed!

The American people that is what has changed (or actually been exposed).
They lack self sacrifice, lack compassion and mercy, lack staying power!
The ‘me’ generation looks at this way:
“I live free, you die” , that’s fine!.

The virus is not done, and it is something to fear at any age. With all the people exposed and seemingly non symptomatic, I wondered if this might also be something to concern regarding pregnancy or future pregnancies. Hopefully that is a study being done.

Let’s see what the 3rd week in June looks like!

Last edited:
Says the guy who sent diagnosed seniors from the Assisted Living Facilities back to them from the Hospital.

Any data points on how many lives that cost ?

What makes Cuomo’s decision even more puzzling is the availability of the hospital ship and the converted Javits Center Hospital

Why you would send Covid-19 positive patients to live amongst the very highest risk pool citizens ?

Horrible decision.

Then again, why would the Chinese, knowing how deadly Covid-19 was, prohibit internal travel but continue to allow travel from China to the U.S. and other countries ?

If Americans think ignoring this virus will make it go away or be of no personal consequence, the eventuality is that every family in America is going to lose a loved one to this disease; whole families may be wiped out.
This is a serious illness. Take it seriously, or die.

D1042,

Sweden took another path, that of herd immunity.

You are correct, Covid-19 is not going away.

But, the longer we hibernate, the further we get from achieving herd immunity.

It’s a difficult dilemma, compounded by the downward spiraling economy, compounded further by politics. The Democrats want the economy to tank for the 2020 election as the economy was one of Trump’s strong points.

Decades later there is no vaccine for HIV, and there is no vaccine for SARS, so is a vaccine for Covid-19 unrealistic ?

With Covid-19 here to stay, more deaths, especially amongst older aged citizens are inevitable.

A question is, do you elongate/defer the inevitable mortality curve or let it spike then recede ? Sweden chose the latter, we chose the former, Time will tell which was correct, or if they both produce the same results over time.

Michigan is expecting 7,000 deaths. There are 10 million people there. That means the chances of dying there is .07%. In other words, your chance of dying in Michigan is slightly higher than your chance of dying from unintentional injuries (like falling off a ladder). Michigan has 6,000 deaths per year from unintentional injuries.

If Americans think ignoring this virus will make it go away or be of no personal consequence, the eventuality is that every family in America is going to lose a loved one to this disease; whole families may be wiped out.
This is a serious illness. Take it seriously, or die.
You are a fear mongering wack job.

Reactions: chicity
D1042,

Sweden took another path, that of herd immunity.

You are correct, Covid-19 is not going away.

But, the longer we hibernate, the further we get from achieving herd immunity.

It’s a difficult dilemma, compounded by the downward spiraling economy, compounded further by politics. The Democrats want the economy to tank for the 2020 election as the economy was one of Trump’s strong points.

Decades later there is no vaccine for HIV, and there is no vaccine for SARS, so is a vaccine for Covid-19 unrealistic ?

With Covid-19 here to stay, more deaths, especially amongst older aged citizens are inevitable.

A question is, do you elongate/defer the inevitable mortality curve or let it spike then recede ? Sweden chose the latter, we chose the former, Time will tell which was correct, or if they both produce the same results over time.

Sweden is rethinking the success of it’s ‘herd’ approach. Things are not going so well.
And regardless of the approach, 60,000 deaths each month is not a display of compassion! but of selfishness!

Strategic Companies can get running with skeleton staffs that can effectively be as productive as when fully staffed (an undeniable and unfortunate truth of American businesses).

We can find a way, that can also be protective and compassionate.

But this is not a compassionate caring merciful nation! It is a nation of
“me’s.“

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT