ADVERTISEMENT

Rees to Alabama?

I don't know if it's lateral move, or who is a better OC, or any of that stuff. But hopping on the AL jet at your local South Bend airport to fly out for your interview is not a good look, and doesn't bode well for an employees future. I mean, he's throwing in ND's face.
This has nothing to do with respect and everything to do with it being Nick, ****ing Saben. The guy wants to be a head coach or an NFL OC, obviously. If you walked in those circles, it’s like being offered a major promotion and direct on the job training from the CEO of the largest company in the world. There’s prestige involved amongst associates. Tell me you’d say no? If so, maybe you’re not competitive? Or maybe you’re not that competitive? To be the best you have to join and beat the best. If you love ND enough to turn down LSU and more money you love it enough to return as a HC and steel Bamas best recruits in 5 years. If ND wants to be Bama, hire Nick Saban, not Marcus Freeman.

I’m willing ink it on Savvy’s face. Rees will be HC at ND within the next 10 years if he goes to Bama. He’s our best shot at a title if he’s successful in his tutelage.

I’m sure that’s your opinion, but he certainly is in a better position to get a college head coaching job after this move.
Clark Lea got a college HC job from being our DC (and Freeman too, of course).

This has nothing to do with respect and everything to do with it being Nick, ****ing Saben. The guy wants to be a head coach or an NFL OC, obviously. If you walked in those circles, it’s like being offered a major promotion and direct on the job training from the CEO of the largest company in the world. There’s prestige involved amongst associates. Tell me you’d say no? If so, maybe you’re not competitive? Or maybe you’re not that competitive? To be the best you have to join and beat the best. If you love ND enough to turn down LSU and more money you love it enough to return as a HC and steel Bamas best recruits in 5 years. If ND wants to be Bama, hire Nick Saban, not Marcus Freeman.

I’m willing ink it on Savvy’s face. Rees will be HC at ND within the next 10 years if he goes to Bama. He’s our best shot at a title if he’s successful.
I have walked in those circles. At the highest level. Not in CFB, but other places (McKinsey etc etc) You do that in your employers face and you know when you do it nothing will ever be the same.

HUGE difference between lateral move and going somewhere because you like or believe in your new boss more.

I agree going for saban is a logical choice if you don’t believe in freeman or believe in saban helping you more, I disagree saying it’s not a lateral move.

Moving to work under Saban is not a lateral move. Look at how his OC have fared after being there. No disrespect to ND or Freemen but Saban is the GOAT.
Most have gotten lesser jobs than what they had before going to bama

He is the goat

You’re proving my point that I keep making. He’s not going there for the position he’s going there for saban over freeman. I get that, but people acting like this isn’t a lateral move, when it literally sounds like it’s the exact definition of a lateral move.

This is a bad look for nd and freeman, nd has already had to postpone player interviews because of it … once again nd doesn’t know it’s employees and what’s going on with them or what they’re thinking … the ghost of Kelly still exists

Actually I’ll wait to see if nd was blindsided or not…. It will be clear soon

Last edited:
I have walked in those circles. At the highest level. Not in CFB, but other places (McKinsey etc etc) You do that in your employers face and you know when you do it nothing will ever be the same.
This 100x…. This isn’t an analyst this is a high level position. In high level positions like this you are NOT coming back

Getting a head coaching job is succeeding
Keep changing the narrative….

They already had those positions before joining bama … actually makes it look like saban can’t develop an OC to have them ready to take on bigger roles

Rees to bama would be the rare OC hire by saban where the person wasn’t on a downward trajectory and using this as a stop gap

Well for everyone who wanted Rees out, and I guess I'm pretty much one of them.... all's I can say is God damn! Didn't really see that coming. Though I have to very willingly admit that TR has had his moments, where the offense would appeared to have performed brilliantly, especially when it comes to the play calling, just this last season, being fully on his own and out from under BK. And I guess Saban noticed it too.....

Still pretty surprising, not that Rees has a poor reputation, quite the contrary, he probably has a great reputation for his age and youth, as a clear one to watch and rising star. I just wonder what Bama is thinking they're getting.

Anyway, so much for MF firing him. Turns out it won't be necessary.....

Most have gotten lesser jobs than what they had before going to bama

He is the goat

You’re proving my point that I keep making. He’s not going there for the position he’s going there for saban over freeman. I get that, but people acting like this isn’t a lateral move, when it literally sounds like it’s the exact definition of a lateral move.

This is a bad look for nd and freeman, nd has already had to postpone player interviews because of it … once again nd doesn’t know it’s employees and what’s going on with them or what they’re thinking … the ghost of Kelly still exists
I agree with your point, Saban on one's resume is worth quite a bit. I guess it depends on what you mean by lateral.

They already had those positions before joining bama … actually makes it look like saban can’t develop an OC to have them ready to take on bigger roles

Rees to bama would be the rare OC hire by saban where the person wasn’t on a downward trajectory and using this as a stop gap
Good point. O'Brien had already been a college and pro HC; and Sarkisian and Kiffin had both been USC HC. But they had also all been fired and were using the Bama OC job to rehabilitate their careers.

I agree with your point, Saban on one's resume is worth quite a bit. I guess it depends on what you mean by lateral.
Lateral meaning the position… roles responsibilities pay… many many people leave for or because of their boss, that doesn’t make it a non lateral move

The saying you take a job for the company and many leave because of the boss… not saying this is freeman fault

Good point. O'Brien had already been a college and pro HC; and Sarkisian and Kiffin had both been USC HC. But they had also all been fired and were using the Bama OC job to rehabilitate their careers.
Yeah not sure they became better coaches, actually confident they didn’t

Well for everyone who wanted Rees out, and I guess I'm pretty much one of them.... all's I can say is God damn! Didn't really see that coming. Though I have to very willingly admit that TR has had his moments, where the offense would appeared to have performed brilliantly, especially when it comes to the play calling, just this last season, being fully on his own and out from under BK. And I guess Saban noticed it too.....

Still pretty surprising, not that Rees has a poor reputation, quite the contrary, he probably has a great reputation for his age and youth, as a clear one to watch and rising star. I just wonder what Bama is thinking they're getting.

Anyway, so much for MF firing him. Turns out it won't be necessary.....
He has a universally positive reputation everywhere but this board.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Why wait 10 years? He has done more as a coordinator than Freeman ever did and he’s barely much younger. If he’s successful anywhere else in even 3- 5 I’d give him a very hard look. If he’s at Bama, he will be considered a hot name. He will get better there. He will learn from the greatest college coach in history. If he “develops” the next Heisman winning QB, that will stick to his resume forever and allow him to recruit similar to Lincoln Riley as a head coach. He’d always want the ND HC job. Rees is what ND needs more of. Like Ohio State, Alum getting into coaching and coming back. Right now, Rees is the most successful ND alumni in coaching. We should root for him to leave, get bigger, and come back to lead the program if it comes back around. He will always cheat on whomever he’s with if the ND big job comes knocking. You cannot graduate from and spend several years coaching at an alma matter, turning down the LSU OC job and not be partial to ND. I hope he’s our Jim Harbaugh.
You are a moron.

Reactions: Ndapolis1
Saban takes failures and turns them into successes....I don't think Rees is a failure, but he is still learning and this would only tilt the learning curve upwards

Reactions: NDSMC78
Kiffin isn't better now than when he was at SC? Tennessee?
Kiffin and Sark are far better. I would love to have Rees back in 5-10 years once Freeman is either booted or goes to Ohio State. Best case is Freeman succeeds and is hired at OSU and Rees is hired as HC. Worst case is they both fail. I choose to root for their success.

You asked who turns down Saban. I answered with the guy who did it on Tuesday
One plus of Kingsbury is this comes with him.
Kingsbury-girlfriend.jpg
See boys! I knew I could find something we’d all rally around!

The narrative is go to Alabama and get a HC job or NFL OC job....

What they did before is irrelevant.

Go to bama and get a career upgrade

Facts

Kiffin isn't better now than when he was at SC? Tennessee?
Kiffin was 28-15 at SC; he's now 23-13 at Ole Miss. So his winning percentage is about the same. But his bigger problem at SC was that he lost the locker room that last season. So maybe he learned better locker room management from Saban?

As for Sarkisian, he's 13-12 so far at Texas, so the jury's still out on him there.

Kiffin was 28-15 at SC; he's now 23-13 at Ole Miss. So his winning percentage is about the same. But his bigger problem at SC was that he lost the locker room that last season. So maybe he learned better locker room management from Saban?

As for Sarkisian, he's 13-12 so far at Texas, so the jury's still out on him there.
You are saying the competition in the Pac and the SEC is the same?

Reactions: BGI User 756
Agree, a lot of bozos on this site will get their wish. Saban (the GOAT in CFB) can spot an young Urban Meyer when he sees him. Good move to Rees. He will have now coached under two of the best in Kelly and Saban. And will get to play with all of those 5* recruits. He's a head coach in the making. I said it when he was at ND, and that is his path.
Young Urban Meyer haha

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT