ADVERTISEMENT

Rees to Alabama?

Is that what it's called? Leaving your alma mater for same role? When ND landed elko and freeman they were the most sought after DCs so it's not like ND can't land or keep the supposed top coaches.

The position is not a step up, coaching for Saban would be considered a step up yes. So if you want to claim tommy is leaving because he wants to coach for saban instead of freeman and thinks saban will help him more, i'm good with that. But the position itself, nope.
lol

How so? Push his career forwar, seriously? He's been given every position he's had without results to warrant it. He was a 27/28 year old unqualified OC at frichan ND. He's only 30 now. His career is moving at a lightning fast pace.

If you want to claim it's to learn under the best HC then fine, but it's not due to the position at Bama.
You are pretty dense

9 games annually against SEC defenses. Better talent on the offensive side of the ball. Playing under a coach with a proven track record of putting OCs in head coaching positions or NFL. The resume gets better. The experience gets better.

Shocking how undisputable facts bother people, i edited my post to try and help
Yet you ignore the fact that the 5 previous OCs used their time there to get to next level on their coaching career. That fact you don’t like so you ignore it

Reactions: NDSMC78
You are pretty sense

9 games annually against SEC defenses. Better talent on the offensive side of the ball. Playing under a coach with a proven track record of putting OCs in head coaching positions or NFL. The resume gets better. The experience gets better.
Don’t play Georgia…. Sec defense nothing special lately other than Georgia

I don't know if it's lateral move, or who is a better OC, or any of that stuff. But hopping on the AL jet at your local South Bend airport to fly out for your interview is not a good look, and doesn't bode well for an employees future. I mean, he's throwing in ND's face.
Bahaha. So he should take a cab?

This 100x…. This isn’t an analyst this is a high level position. In high level positions like this you are NOT coming back
Categorically false. If you are professional and have earned your keep, you can separate amicably at the highest levels and return.

Yet you ignore the fact that the 5 previous OCs used their time there to get to next level on their coaching career. That fact you don’t like so you ignore it
Nussmeier left for the same job at Michigan and has never become a head coach. Kiffin left to be the HC at Florida Atlantic. I think an ND OC could get that job. And O'Brien left for his old job he had back in 2011. So they haven't all gone on to be the HC at Texas.

It's not, but what about Sarkisian? He's 13-12 so far at Texas. He went 34-29 at Washington. So so far, after coaching under Saban, he's still the same slightly above .500 coach.
Good point. But he got the opportunity after coaching under Nick. That is the point
Nussmeier left for the same job at Michigan and has never become a head coach. Kiffin left to be the HC at Florida Atlantic. I think an ND OC could get that job. And O'Brien left for his old job he had back in 2011. So they haven't all gone on to be the HC at Texas.
see other posts. Anyway you look at it, the opportunity affords Tommy a better chance to advance. Period, stop, end.

He still has to perform. Not sure how you guys get yourself tied up in these circular arguments. I have said, and only said, that going to Bama as OC is more than a lateral move.

Reactions: notredamerises23
A few years back the rumors were that everyone was high on Rees and saw him as an up and comer. Meanwhile, everyone here dogged him and Kelly still for that matter. Now he’s gone to a place that could get whomever they wanted.

Ok, people got what they wanted. No more Kelly or his products. Time to see what Freeman can come up with.

Hmmm. Check the players in the NFL
Sure… but doesn’t mean team defenses have been great… heck lsu then osu put up insane numbers vs Georgia D despite osu without top wr in country and their second best wr getting targeting hit and knocked out second half

If you think it's a lateral move between the lines I don't know what to say. Currently ND is not in Alabamas class from a football only standpoint and haven't been for quite some time. Rees like any young person in their chosen career should always be looking to improve their resume. If he does end up in Tuscaloosa it is certainly a step upward on his resume. It's called career building.
Unfortunately, it appears as though ND has become the training ground for coaches looking to elevate themselves to elite programs.

I remember the days when ND was the premier coaching spot. Oh well.

Unfortunately, it appears as though ND has become the training ground for coaches looking to elevate themselves to elite programs.

I remember the days when ND was the premier coaching spot. Oh well.
Dude, that was over 25 years ago.maybe longer. Where have you been.

And coaches always are looking to elevate themselves. Most of them

There were lots of different organizations that handed out titles like candy. Didn't mean they were anything close to a unanimous decision.
And even with all those multiple organizations, they still didnt have as many titles

Dude, that was over 25 years ago.maybe longer. Where have you been.

And coaches always are looking to elevate themselves. Most of them
All top schools are training grounds for coaches, including ND, Alabama, Clemson and others. Many coaches left good positions to coach at ND. Saban’s program is just top of the heap right now.

Reactions: Kelso86
2-3 years from now, the ND fan base will be clamoring to get Rees hired as head coach. Mark my words, this post will resurface as a told ya.

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ
Sure… but doesn’t mean team defenses have been great… heck lsu then osu put up insane numbers vs Georgia D despite osu without top wr in country and their second best wr getting targeting hit and knocked out second half
beyond stupid even for you

anyone claiming this is not a step up for Rees is a moron
go sit in the corner and put on the dunce cap

• Haha
Reactions: Kelso86
Let’s just skip to the part where Rees takes over at ND. I hate these predictable crappy coaching years while we wait for a good hire. If history repeats we will be waiting 20 years. Hope we can expedite things this time around.

2-3 years from now, the ND fan base will be clamoring to get Rees hired as head coach. Mark my words, this post will resurface as a told ya.
I'd like to see a vote on that. Coordinator experience is good but I prefer to see a HC won at schools like NCST, Toledo, Bowling Green, or Northwestern.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Is 1.9 and 1.1 in the same ballpark?
"is 1.9 and 1.1 in the same ballpark?"

"From what I understand, this wasn’t about the money. Rees was said to be making north of $2.25 million a year at Notre Dame, and it’s also been said that ND would match any monetary offer by Bama. So... he must think it’s time to go and time to grow."

I would say --- it is well within the ball park -- but -- since no one really knows how much he made -- it is pure conjecture at this point. My guess it was much better than the $1.1 you spouted out.

beyond stupid even for you

anyone claiming this is not a step up for Rees is a moron
go sit in the corner and put on the dunce cap
Step up in HC only, not pay, not title, and ND offense could be better than bama this year

"is 1.9 and 1.1 in the same ballpark?"

"From what I understand, this wasn’t about the money. Rees was said to be making north of $2.25 million a year at Notre Dame, and it’s also been said that ND would match any monetary offer by Bama. So... he must think it’s time to go and time to grow."

I would say --- it is well within the ball park -- but -- since no one really knows how much he made -- it is pure conjecture at this point. My guess it was much better than the $1.1 you spouted out.

Lol at the 2.25 mil

I dont know if he was in the 1.9m ballpark at ND. I think we would have matched it if he wanted to stay because Jack loves him some Tommy.

This is a win for us that he's gone

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT