ADVERTISEMENT

Rees to Alabama?

This is too long a thread for me to devote the time to reading every post, but I wonder if Rees's decision to consider a new job says anything about what he thinks of Freeman as a boss. Remember, it was just a little more than a year ago that he very publicly announced his decision to stay as OC and not follow Kelly to LSU.

I'm game...

Seriously...let that ****er walk.

We need a completely new coaching philosophy in the passing game.

Think about it...

The terrified to fail premise of the last dozen years has netted us exactly how many top QB's and top echelon receivers?

We need some excitement in the passing game.

If you were a receiver and QB...watching tape of our passing game does NOT look like fun. OSU...fun. Bama...fun. Oklahoma...fun.

The three yard curl and sit route as your staple is NOT EXCITING to recruits.

Sorry

You have been saying this forever. Yeah, not much of a vertical passing game last year with Pyne because he didn't have the arm to throw it far. Book was hesitant to throw long and he often checked off even when he had a deep option. It's true that Kelly had a low tolerance for quarterbacks trying to make risky plays, but to say the 3-yard curl was our staple is just wrong. You must be stuck in the Bob Davie era.

Reactions: BGI User 756
I viewed it as a win-win. Rees gets to work with one of the best coaches ever and ND can get a coordinator with more experience that can develop QBs. Let him go. Hopefully he does well and he can be a great head coach someday, maybe even at ND.

Reactions: NIN Irish
Is vanderbilt one of the top 5 programs watched in college football? Does vanderbilt have one of the top 5 net worths? Does Vanderbilt have a good shot of making the CFP in 2023? Bama isn't number one in any of these categories nor is ND, but both are top 5.

Yeah this is a lateral move, vanderbilt to ND is NOT. Just like Elko to A&M is lateral, Kelly to LSU is lateral.

The only thing that may not be lateral is if there is a significant amount of money saban throws at him and ND won't match. Not sure I would match for Rees, but just saying. There's no reason ND couldn't match his pay if they wanted to.
If anybody but Nick wasn’t the HC, I would agree. But from Tommy’s professional perspective, this would not be lateral.

Reactions: raycyrx and Kelso86
This is too long a thread for me to devote the time to reading every post, but I wonder if Rees's decision to consider a new job says anything about what he thinks of Freeman as a boss. Remember, it was just a little more than a year ago that he very publicly announced his decision to stay as OC and not follow Kelly to LSU.
To me this is clearly an either trust in saban and need his help or don’t believe in freeman to do it…. Possibly combination of both … he’s already on fast path to nfl at nd

I viewed it as a win-win. Rees gets to work with one of the best coaches ever and ND can get a coordinator with more experience that can develop QBs. Let him go. Hopefully he does well and he can be a great head coach someday, maybe even at ND.
Not many good ones that aren’t gobbled up, nd will have to steal one

If anybody but Nick wasn’t the HC, I would agree. But from Tommy’s professional perspective, this would not be lateral.
Yeah it’s not a lateral from a boss perspective, but it’s a lateral from a position perspective

That’s been my point the entire time… this isn’t an OC move, it’s a saban and or freeman move

Yeah it’s not a lateral from a boss perspective, but it’s a lateral from a position perspective

That’s been my point the entire time… this isn’t an OC move, it’s a saban and or freeman move
I get what you’re laying down, I’ve left companies before for ‘lateral’ and even a step backward in title/pay because of the growth opportunity and mentorship. Haven’t regretted one and doubt Tommy will regret this, especially if his ultimate goal is HC.

Reactions: raycyrx
I get what you’re laying down, I’ve left companies before for ‘lateral’ and even a step backward in title/pay because of the growth opportunity and mentorship. Haven’t regretted one and doubt Tommy will regret this, especially if his ultimate goal is HC.
Difference is being nd is his alma mater, not sure how this doesn’t burn some bridges…. He would have had to really play his cards right to be in good grades and not be deemed future flight risk to work with the best AD

Yep no doubt, that’s an important school to him I thought
I'm very sure it is, but it is a limited career path. Harbaugh came back t0 Michigan and he denounced the program. If Rees gets good enough ND will take him back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86
I'm very sure it is, but it is a limited career path. Harbaugh came back ti Michigan and he denounced the program. If Rees get good enough ND will take him back.
Yeah getting to superbowl as HC in nfl makes people forgive easier

Funny how throughout the college football world Rees is considered one of the brightest young minds in the business. Arguably the best coach in history is interested in hiring him yet on the ND message boards many posters think he's garbage. Hilarious.
...rewatch the second half of the Navy game....

He has a universally positive reputation everywhere but this board.
Pretty much like his mentor BK, huh? Yeah?? Wouldn't that be appropriate to say? Because TR, you certainly could say, doesn't really even have an existence in football outside of BK. Who knows where the F he would even be without BK. You're basically hiring BK when you hire TR. There is no Tommy Rees, at virtually every step of the way in his career as a player or coach without BK.

So I guess if BK has a universally positive reputation, of course outside of ND where he is loathed and treated with supreme disrespect, then maybe TR's reputation isn't half bad either. It would stand to reason, at least for a rising young coach. I don't know, maybe he goes to coaching clinics and wows everyone with his Xs and Os....

Maybe he just realized he can only coach 6’0 quarterbacks and so since Julian Sayin is committed to Bama, he had a come to Jesus moment and decided Bama it is.

You are saying the competition in the Pac and the SEC is the same?
It's not, but what about Sarkisian? He's 13-12 so far at Texas. He went 34-29 at Washington. So so far, after coaching under Saban, he's still the same slightly above .500 coach.

It's not, but what about Sarkisian? He's 13-12 so far at Texas. He went 34-29 at Washington. So so far, after coaching under Saban, he's still the same slightly above .500 coach.
True but would he have secured that job if he had not gone and worked under Saban?

Pretty much like his mentor BK, huh? Yeah?? Wouldn't that be appropriate to say? Because TR, you certainly could say, doesn't really even have an existence in football outside of BK. Who knows where the F he would even be without BK. You're basically hiring BK when you hire TR. There is no Tommy Rees, at virtually every step of the way in his career as a player or coach without BK.

So I guess if BK has a universally positive reputation, of course outside of ND where he is loathed and treated with supreme disrespect, then maybe TR's reputation isn't half bad either. It would stand to reason, at least for a rising young coach. I don't know, maybe he goes to coaching clinics and wows everyone with his Xs and Os....
I'm referring to the reactions he got from his time in the NFL and from the pros that knew him when,....

Maybe, but he's in the wagon now...story in SI (I think SI) way back about Saban's impact on that...

Or Ohio state or Marshall or cal or Stanford … only D with a pulse Rees did good vs was Clemson.
"Or Ohio state or Marshall or cal or Stanford … only D with a pulse Rees did good vs was Clemson"

With this comment, one would assume you would be opening the door for Rees to leave -- yet, you are bashing him for even thinking/talking with Saban.

Pick your side.

You have been saying this forever. Yeah, not much of a vertical passing game last year with Pyne because he didn't have the arm to throw it far. Book was hesitant to throw long and he often checked off even when he had a deep option. It's true that Kelly had a low tolerance for quarterbacks trying to make risky plays, but to say the 3-yard curl was our staple is just wrong. You must be stuck in the Bob Davie era.
It was the staple.
2 things here...
You've been following along to know what I say and you're right...I've been bitching about it since it's been implemented.....
Which was the moment Wimbush showed BK he can't hit the ocean throwing from the pier.
Book couldn't throw deep.

Now it doesn't matter the why but Kizer was the last QB to get good yardage downfield.

Terrified of failure as an offensive philosophy is NOT attractive to QB's and perimter speed

"Or Ohio state or Marshall or cal or Stanford … only D with a pulse Rees did good vs was Clemson"

With this comment, one would assume you would be opening the door for Rees to leave -- yet, you are bashing him for even thinking/talking with Saban.

Pick your side.
i've clearly stated i don't think he's done a good job and i'm ok with him leaving but I don't understand why he would, as his stock is finally started to point up at ND, and ND is set up to have a really good offense next year.

Say whatever you want about Nick Saban but he is the greatest college coach of all time.

He has what 6 championships?

The guy knows football. He obviously sees something in Tommy that makes him believe Tommy can help win championship number 7.

Tommy is a very good OC. Not a great recruiter but a very good coach.

Reactions: BGI User 756
It was the staple.
2 things here...
You've been following along to know what I say and you're right...I've been bitching about it since it's been implemented.....
Which was the moment Wimbush showed BK he can't hit the ocean throwing from the pier.
Book couldn't throw deep.

Now it doesn't matter the why but Kizer was the last QB to get good yardage downfield.

Terrified of failure as an offensive philosophy is NOT attractive to QB's and perimter speed
"Terrified of failure as an offensive philosophy is NOT attractive to QB's and perimeter speed"

Good point -- and this where Rees (or if he leaves, the new OC -- and Freeman) has a chance to make a statement. Hartman is the kind of QB who can get the ball downfield, Minchey, Carr, based on what I have read, appear to be in this caliber as well. Allowing Hartmen to throw downfield, thus allowing the receivers (and QB's as well) to showcase their abilities could begin to attract the kind of players ND has not been able to.

Reactions: 88ND
"Terrified of failure as an offensive philosophy is NOT attractive to QB's and perimeter speed"

Good point -- and this where Rees (or if he leaves, the new OC -- and Freeman) has a chance to make a statement. Hartman is the kind of QB who can get the ball downfield, Minchey, Carr, based on what I have read, appear to be in this caliber as well. Allowing Hartmen to throw downfield, thus allowing the receivers (and QB's as well) to showcase their abilities could begin to attract the kind of players ND has not been able to.
Absolutely

Freeman's probably putting on the full court press to keep him right about now. Hence the long wait for his decision.

Say whatever you want about Nick Saban but he is the greatest college coach of all time.

He has what 6 championships?

The guy knows football. He obviously sees something in Tommy that makes him believe Tommy can help win championship number 7.

Tommy is a very good OC. Not a great recruiter but a very good coach.
The all time I'll have to disagree with. Rockne and Leahy have better winning percentages.

Would be an enormous loss if his father would leave too.
Enormous loss? ND has not won anything in 34 years. The last enormous loss was Lou Holtz, because he was the last person to win something.

If Bill Rees is an "enormous loss"? That would perfectly explain why Bill Rees's son wants to leave for Alabama.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT