ADVERTISEMENT

Rees to Alabama?

No one should be hired unless they’re a hot up and coming or they’re an established OC that developed QB’s and likes the $3 million ND was going to match Bama for Rees. Not sure how it works contractually, but I’d throw that $3 million at Riley, Longo, and Lebby. If we end up with some random bullshit like Byron Leftwich ND Football is just resigning to worthlessness.

Rightttttt

Obrien Texans HC, Sark USC HC, Kiffin USC HC,

Daboll was already OC in NFL Multiple stints before going to bama for one year then as OC at giants

Locksley was already Maryland OC/HC before going to bama then back to Maryland

Mcelwain - I guess maybe he moved up due to bama, but ended up not being any good

Again, BAMA OC is filled by struggling coaches looking to get back on track due to the Bama Juggernaut under Saban.

Rees and ND are supposed to be on the Up and Up. If he did great this year with Hartman as he should he would be getting NFL OC gig no issues. You know this.
No I don't know that.

I do know if he goes to Bama, the chances of success are higher than the chances of success at ND

I do know that their last 6 OCs got HC jobs and NFL OC jobs their next job.

I do know that Saban is more respected than MF and any other cfb HC

This is like saying taking a Director, HR position at Apple is a lateral move when you are a Director, HR at South Bend Waterworks and Co.
You can't teach stupid..... ND is a frichan top 5 program statistically and financially.

It would be like going from Apple to Google. Frichan lateral.

Alabama like top 2 or 3 program right now, Notre dame 5, maryland 50, Rutgers 75

Great comparison
That's the point...it IS a great comparison AND description of the parameters of the choice Rees is making

Stating something is a lateral move is not a fact. It's an opinion.
Whats the definition of a lateral move, then try again how it's an opinion.

Same position = Check
Same potential money = Check

Look if it comes out saban is giving him assistant HC i'll claim not a lateral. Until then. lateral. I trust Hansens reporting.

I don’t see Rees as college HC material but who knows. He lacks personality. So does Urban Meyer though. Maybe he’ll be great and come back and take over as ND HC. Assuming he doesn’t burn any bridges.

You can't teach stupid..... ND is a frichan top 5 program statistically and financially.

It would be like going from Apple to Google. Frichan lateral.
Not lateral

Last 15 years

Alabama 6 NCs, embarrassed us twice

ND 0 NCs, got embarrassed by Bama twice

It's only lateral in your mind

No. The facts are killing you.

Fact is the last 6 OCs at Bama have gone on to become a HC or NFL OC

That's facts. Period
They were already all of those, Fact. You claimed they grew into that role at Bama, NOPE

Same position = Check

Look if it comes out saban is giving him assistant HC i'll claim not a lateral. Until then. lateral. I trust Hansens reporting.
So if ND offered the Rutgers OC tomorrow 3 mil. And Rutgers matched it

You'd say that the Rutgers OC is making a lateral move going to ND

Your logic is silly

Reactions: BGI User 756
They were already all of those, Fact. You claimed they grew into that role at Bama, NOPE
I didnt say they grew into that role, fact

I said what they did before doesnt matter, fact

I said TR would only care about what they did after being the OC at Bama, fact

Get your "facts" right

Freeman RIGHT NOW - "Tommy, are you considering a lateral move to Alabama if we ensure money is relatively equal?"

If the answer is Yes, then Freeman needs to have him pack his bags right now.

I get tommy wanting/getting more money, but if he wants to just go to bama for a lateral move and saban isn't throwing an insane amoutn of $$$ that ND Can't come close to, don't let this crap play out. CUT THE CORD!
Are you serious? Not a lateral move when you can learn from the goat.

ND is sort of a lateral move historically. Right now it’s clearly Bama as the bigger job. But ND is blue chip. Unfortunately some of these coaches get a lot of attention for winning with the #1 recruiting class and OC’s for lowly teams that vastly over achieve get less attention. Somewhere out there is someone better than Rees. The question is who is he.

Same position = Check

That's your opinion. You have determined that the only criteria are the position of the title and the pay involved. There are more things that are involved, but you refuse to consider them.

At least 10 other posters on this thread have said the same thing. But like the stubborn fool you are, you continue to keep stating the same thing. I'm frankly tired of trying to discuss something with a brick wall.

I’d also make a bidding war for Hartline. Freeman and he are friends. If Day is calling the plays at Ohio State, Hartline might like more autonomy at ND?

My top list would be Riley, Longo, Lebby, Hartline. Pay them what they were going to pay Rees. Make them the highest paid OC in the land. ND has the $.

Based on his Twitter reactions, Rees was getting triggered by ND fans. The grass wont be greener in terms of fan expectations at Bama. Lose to LSU and he might get legit threats. Those folks down there are nut jobs.

Last edited:
Would it be absurd to take a stab at Drew Brees? Isn’t he planning to coach at Purdue? I mean for QB coach. Then being in an up and coming OC.

This is all fake. Saban wants payback against Kelly. He is pretending to steal his b/f. Kelly is throwing a tantrum in his Tiger pajamas right now.

Why wait 10 years? He has done more as a coordinator than Freeman ever did and he’s barely much younger. If he’s successful anywhere else in even 3- 5 I’d give him a very hard look. If he’s at Bama, he will be considered a hot name. He will get better there. He will learn from the greatest college coach in history. If he “develops” the next Heisman winning QB, that will stick to his resume forever and allow him to recruit similar to Lincoln Riley as a head coach. He’d always want the ND HC job. Rees is what ND needs more of. Like Ohio State, Alum getting into coaching and coming back. Right now, Rees is the most successful ND alumni in coaching. We should root for him to leave, get bigger, and come back to lead the program if it comes back around. He will always cheat on whomever he’s with if the ND big job comes knocking. You cannot graduate from and spend several years coaching at an alma matter, turning down the LSU OC job and not be partial to ND. I hope he’s our Jim Harbaugh.

Last edited:
What about Kliff Kingsbury?
That's a name I threw out earlier and like I said before.....
WordPress-Featured-Image-Sizing-70.jpg

This comes with him. ;)

Some posters think he wouldn’t be a good coordinator at South Alabama and wanted to fire him. When he wins a national championship under Saban will that be good enough? People don’t get it. He’s a strong coach and clearly deeply valued in the coaching community.
Kelly wanted him. Now Saban. Oh, and Marcus Freeman has retained him. Good enough for me.

Please let it be true.. Hopefully doesn't come back after the interview.. He was learning @ the job we can get someone better.. much better..

Reactions: NIN Irish
If Rees went to Alabama, the only reason would be that he sees it as a stepping stone to the NFL IMO.

Reactions: NIN Irish
If Rees went to Alabama, the only reason would be that he sees it as a stepping stone to the NFL IMO.
I’m sure that’s your opinion, but he certainly is in a better position to get a college head coaching job after this move.

I don't know if it's lateral move, or who is a better OC, or any of that stuff. But hopping on the AL jet at your local South Bend airport to fly out for your interview is not a good look, and doesn't bode well for an employees future. I mean, he's throwing in ND's face.

It is hard to believe that Tommy Rees will not be calling plays for Notre Dame next year, but this is about a 99.9%. He’s gone. Who turns down Nick Saban and lives to tell about it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT