ADVERTISEMENT

Rees to Alabama?

It literally is the definition of a lateral move. It's the same thing as everyone stating kelly took a lateral move to LSU. This isn't some next step career progression. He is on same path at ND or Bama.

It's not good if our coaches want to leave for lateral moves especially when we could easily have a better offense than Bama next year. We actually for the first time in 15 years have more offensive talent than Bama.
You're the only person on the planet who thinks it would be a lateral move. Would the OC at Vanderbilt be making a lateral move to come to ND ? You know better.

Well said.
I really don’t know why a lateral would have any interest for him.

So here is a thought

What if Rees is thinking he has zero chance of being head coach at ND because of MF but Saban is going to check out in maybe next couple years. So he could ingratiate himself and get Nicks blessing. Just a thought

You're the only person on the planet who thinks it would be a lateral move. Would the OC at Vanderbilt be making a lateral move to come to ND ? You know better.
Is vanderbilt one of the top 5 programs watched in college football? Does vanderbilt have one of the top 5 net worths? Does Vanderbilt have a good shot of making the CFP in 2023? Bama isn't number one in any of these categories nor is ND, but both are top 5.

Yeah this is a lateral move, vanderbilt to ND is NOT. Just like Elko to A&M is lateral, Kelly to LSU is lateral.

The only thing that may not be lateral is if there is a significant amount of money saban throws at him and ND won't match. Not sure I would match for Rees, but just saying. There's no reason ND couldn't match his pay if they wanted to.

You might want to look at the next move of the last 5-6 Bama OC's.
How about the move into the role of the last 5-6. Most were struggling in their current role or fired from it and saban took them.

Get over yourself.

You think Freeman will attract top coaching talent by setting a precedent and not letting them interview for other opportunities? Or perhaps Freeman suggested such and is being professional?
HUGE difference between interviewing for other opportunities that are lateral moves (Signaling coach wants out) vs promotion of position. He's not interviewing for RAMs OC position, that was filled. If it was just money, tommy doesn't get on the plane if ND wants him to stay and he wants to stay.

Freeman RIGHT NOW - "Tommy, are you considering a lateral move to Alabama if we ensure money is relatively equal?"

If the answer is Yes, then Freeman needs to have him pack his bags right now.

I get tommy wanting/getting more money, but if he wants to just go to bama for a lateral move and saban isn't throwing an insane amoutn of $$$ that ND Can't come close to, don't let this crap play out. CUT THE CORD!
"Lateral move"
200w.gif

Reactions: echowaker
It's being reported by Hansen that Money will not be an issue. ND will match.

If rees leaves his alma mater for a lateral move, then he should never be welcomed back.

I don't like Rees, but he finally started doing a good job recruiting so the arrow was starting to point up for me.

This would mean he wants to coach under saban than freeman. There is no more exposure and for once not even more talent on the O.

Whether you are pro or anti Tommy Rees....this projects horrible PR visuals...no matter which way it goes; but particularly if he does not get the job. It would put ND in a very adverse position about his returning....but wouldn't cost Saban anything. Conventional wisdom says that the only way Rees interviews for another collegiate OC job is if he knows for sure he isn't returning to ND.

"A lateral move occurs when an employee moves into a new position within the same pay grade as their current position."

Same position, $$ the same..... lateral move

Whether you are pro or anti Tommy Rees....this projects horrible PR visuals...no matter which way it goes; but particularly if he does not get the job. It would put ND in a very adverse position about his returning....but wouldn't cost Saban anything. Conventional wisdom says that the only way Rees interviews for another collegiate OC job is if he knows for sure he isn't returning to ND.
This...... He's have to come back and do another hype video with the players that said something like ........ "just got back from alabama and was able to tell saban i'm staying with ND"

Doubt that happens, doubt he isn't an alabama employee by tomorrow.

Only thing i could accept is saban only making offer in person, and rees having to go to see what that is so ND can match.

Proving once again to the number of idiots on this board who constantly attacked Rees. Seems Saban knows more.

Reactions: NDSMC78
He sure gets a lot of interest from other big time programs for someone who is a lousy offensive coordinator. 😜

Reactions: DieHard_Irish

If rees leaves his alma mater for a lateral move, then he should never be welcomed back.

I don't like Rees, but he finally started doing a good job recruiting so the arrow was starting to point up for me.

This would mean he wants to coach under saban than freeman. There is no more exposure and for once not even more talent on the O.
Again, you are being ridiculous. Rees is an ND alum. The idea that he would not be welcomed back to ND because he took a job elsewhere is nonsensical. Fortunately, you are not the person who makes this determination.

Proving once again to the number of idiots on this board who constantly attacked Rees. Seems Saban knows more.
Nicks list of OCs haven't been or become some dominant coach after. Most of them were HCs struggling and saban brought them in, they had more talent than everyone and most did well, then they left and haven't lit the world on fire.

Again, you are being ridiculous. Rees is an ND alum. The idea that he would not be welcomed back to ND because he took a job elsewhere is nonsensical. Fortunately, you are not the person who makes this determination.
So freeman and Jack should welcome him back if he wanted it in a few years, or even consider him as a HC say in 10 years with how this would have unfolded?

It literally is the definition of a lateral move. It's the same thing as everyone stating kelly took a lateral move to LSU. This isn't some next step career progression. He is on same path at ND or Bama.

It's not good if our coaches want to leave for lateral moves especially when we could easily have a better offense than Bama next year. We actually for the first time in 15 years have more offensive talent than Bama.
ND has more offensive talent than Bama?

Reactions: Airzee23

"It literally is the definition of a lateral move. It's the same thing as everyone stating kelly took a lateral move to LSU"

It's only a lateral move if your mind (Rees') believe it is. If he believes that, after speaking with Saban that working in the SEC will be an opportunity to showcase his skills in a different arena that he cannot turn down, then to him, it is a "promotion" -- even if the title remains the same.

It's not a matter how you YOU view this -- it is a matter of what is going through Rees' head and thought process.

Nicks list of OCs haven't been or become some dominant coach after. Most of them were HCs struggling and saban brought them in, they had more talent than everyone and most did well, then they left and haven't lit the world on fire.
Yeah you're right, the idiots on this board know more then Saban.

Ok? You may worship all things Saban but over here in reality borough he's made his share of bad hires over the years.

I think it's hilarious how suddenly Saban is the pinnacle. Like MSU and Miami never happened.

He caught lightning in a bottle and when you start rolling it's plug and play.

Caught lightning in a bottle. I wish we could find a coach who could catch lightning in a bottle.

But I guess in your mind that was Lou Holtz, although you would have to pretend that William and Mary, Minnesota, South Carolina, and the New York Jets never happened.

"It literally is the definition of a lateral move. It's the same thing as everyone stating kelly took a lateral move to LSU"

It's only a lateral move if your mind (Rees') believe it is. If he believes that, after speaking with Saban that working in the SEC will be an opportunity to showcase his skills in a different arena that he cannot turn down, then to him, it is a "promotion" -- even if the title remains the same.

It's not a matter how you YOU view this -- it is a matter of what is going through Rees' head and thought process.
i can get on board with this. But then this confirms my other point that "wanting" to leave for the SEC isn't a good sign without it being a major promotion

So freeman and Jack should welcome him back if he wanted it in a few years, or even consider him as a HC say in 10 years with how this would have unfolded?
Sure, if he is the best person for the job.

When you say "how this unfolded," I gather you think Rees should be seen as disloyal. I don't see it that way at all. I would add that I personally know of several people who have left one employer for one reason or another, but were later welcomed back. It's really not a big deal.

Top 15 players on offense next year, that's a realistic possibility
In what way is NDs talent comparable to Alabama's on offense right now? Alabama has more top 100 players on their offense than ND does on their entire roster (and its not close).

Sure, if he is the best person for the job.

When you say "how this unfolded," I gather you think Rees should be seen as disloyal. I don't see it that way at all. I would add that I personally know of several people who have left one employer for one reason or another, but were later welcomed back. It's really not a big deal.
Agree here, typically that happens in 2 ways.

1. they leave and get some really good additional experience making them better for the future position (don't burn bridges)
2. They quickly realize they made a mistake leaving and ask back (again don't burn bridges)

I just don't see how bridges aren't burned here with how late of a move this would be when $$$ and experience gaining wouldn' be happening at bama. possibly his next stop after bama. You also don't see this happen at second in command type positions, they typically are lower level.

Agree here, typically that happens in 2 ways.

1. they leave and get some really good additional experience making them better for the future position (don't burn bridges)
2. They quickly realize they made a mistake leaving and ask back (again don't burn bridges)

I just don't see how bridges aren't burned here with how late of a move this would be when $$$ and experience gaining wouldn' be happening at bama. possibly his next stop after bama.

You're dreaming up a problem where none exists. There are many reasons why Rees would want to give the job at Bama a shot now. And there are reasons why the Bama job would be considered an upgrade over the ND job. You refuse to even consider those. You are entitled to your opinion, but as you see, not too many share that opinion.

Someone has claimed that or even close to claiming that?

Saban like coach K have built a program that can withstand some poor hires.
Yeah, because of course you know more abouting evaluating coaches then Coach Saban. Any clue how literally stupid you sound; on most all things football. Rees is clearly a well respected OC in the coaching ranks, and you're a know nothing message board whiner. Hmmm, think I'll go with Saban

Last edited:

Garbage.

You're dreaming up a problem where none exists. There are many reasons why Rees would want to give the job at Bama a shot now. And there are reasons why the Bama job would be considered an upgrade over the ND job. You refuse to even consider those. You are entitled to your opinion, but as you see, not too many share that opinion.
There's no problem with an ND coach wanting to take a lateral, especially when it's leaving his alma mater? Something has changed from last year to this and not going to LSU?

Maybe he doesn't like freeman
Maybe he didn't want to work for kelly anymore being why he didn't go to LSU (Doubt that since kelly unjustifiably got him to where he is)
Maybe he couldn't stand the fan backlash for the crappy QB play that he hand picked and developed
Maybe he's sick of the cold weather in the off season
Maybe he thinks Bama players are more intelligent to handle his complex shifting

Yeah, because of course you know more abouting evaluating coaches then Coach Saban. Any clue how literally stupid you sound; on most all things football. Rees is clearly a well respected OC in the coaching ranks, and your a know nothing message board whiner. Hmmm, think I'll go with Saban
O'Brien, Sark, Kiffin, Rees...... i guess the shoe fits... struggling coaches needing to go to Saban and his talent/winning pedigree to get fixed

I'm talking about as future HC not like, showing up to a game. Most likely only position he comes back to is HC. I wouldn't want him to come back as HC and then be a threat to take lateral quickly.

Rees is below average recruiter and developer of QBs … decent game planner, good play caller. ND can do better. Tommy’s entire tenure is defending why he isn’t the problem.

In what way is NDs talent comparable to Alabama's on offense right now? Alabama has more top 100 players on their offense than ND does on their entire roster (and its not close).
Because recruiting rankings out of HS don't dictate nfl Draft.

Joe Alt will be drafted higher than anyone on Alabama's offense next year and he might not have even been a top 500 recruit. Sam Hartman may be top 5 QB in college next year. Blake Fisher could be first round draft pick.

Yes, if you look at 35-40 players, Bama has more, but the ones that will be counted on next year, ND might have more.

Ok? You may worship all things Saban but over here in reality borough he's made his share of bad hires over the years.

I think it's hilarious how suddenly Saban is the pinnacle. Like MSU and Miami never happened.

He caught lightning in a bottle and when you start rolling it's plug and play.
LOL. He is the pinnacle

Reactions: Airzee23
Is vanderbilt one of the top 5 programs watched in college football? Does vanderbilt have one of the top 5 net worths? Does Vanderbilt have a good shot of making the CFP in 2023? Bama isn't number one in any of these categories nor is ND, but both are top 5.

Yeah this is a lateral move, vanderbilt to ND is NOT. Just like Elko to A&M is lateral, Kelly to LSU is lateral.

The only thing that may not be lateral is if there is a significant amount of money saban throws at him and ND won't match. Not sure I would match for Rees, but just saying. There's no reason ND couldn't match his pay if they wanted to.
If you think it's a lateral move between the lines I don't know what to say. Currently ND is not in Alabamas class from a football only standpoint and haven't been for quite some time. Rees like any young person in their chosen career should always be looking to improve their resume. If he does end up in Tuscaloosa it is certainly a step upward on his resume. It's called career building.

Wow, for someone who has claimed to play college football you sure don't seem to understand how things work at that level.

Reactions: BGI User 756
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT