ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Jurkovec Transferring

It’s all out there now. Go read about it. Listen to the multiple podcasts from multiple sites about it. It has been out there for months, but now he is in the portal people are openly talking about it.
looking for public statements from the particulars involved not speculation from internet "experts".

He was never going to do that. If you read about the practice situations, Book took 95% of the snaps. Phil never even had a chance. Long & Rees neither wanted Phil. A lot of the players & their families aren’t happy with how Phil was treated & are expressing it today.
can you provide us all with actual quotes from all these disgruntled players and their families ? if not it's all more nonsense.

Are you telling me you can’t find the other sites? You seriously can’t find podcasts, articles, forums from the other major ND sites?
In the past when I posted links to competitors I got in trouble. And I can’t give you links to pay sites.
So I will try to lead you to one that’s free, without naming it. Okay? It’s a newer site ran by a huge sports organization. There is a free podcast/article/discussion on it that goes through the past few months. Hopefully that is enough for you to find it.
where are the public statements by all these folks ? anything else is he said she said.

development occurs at practice.

yea, where the kids coming in start the 2nd phase of development.

So you have a DT QB prospect behind a solidly entrenched 5th year starting QB in a basic offense coached by a 1st year QB coach and now a 1st year (?) OC, under a Head Coach that has not had a great track record with developing QBs and has shown a clear comfort zone towards more tactical than creative, deciding to transfer: can you say ‘no brainer”!

As an athlete you do not want to be looking back at a list of ‘what-ifs’.
Here’s hoping PJ finds a great fit to discover what his true football potential is.
Best wishes for success Phil J.!

Reactions: IrishMike409
yea, where the kids coming in start the 2nd phase of development.

So you have a DT QB prospect behind a solidly entrenched 5th year starting QB in a basic offense coached by a 1st year QB coach and now a 1st year (?) OC, under a Head Coach that has not had a great track record with developing QBs and has shown a clear comfort zone towards more tactical than creative, deciding to transfer: can you say ‘no brainer”!

As an athlete you do not want to be looking back at a list of ‘what-ifs’.
Here’s hoping PJ finds a great fit to discover what his true football potential is.
Best wishes for success Phil J.!
I do too. I just think the narrative that he wasn't given the chance to develop is ridiculous.

Reactions: Ara64
I do too. I just think the narrative that he wasn't given the chance to develop is ridiculous.
From what I've heard, i believe he was given a chance early on and was just flat out not good at running at high level college offense and didn't show the mental ability to manage the offense and physical mechanics to run the plays.

My opinion only is this, coaches didn't see him being a starter at QB moving forward at ND therefor the chances/reps started evaporating.

I do believe Rees and others didn't spend much time on him later in the season, but it wasn't because they want a pure pocket passer and phil is going to be justin fields or Jalen Hurts. The complete opposite, it is because he is nothing like Justin Fields or Jalen Hurts. His spring game performance was the worst thing i've even seen from a QB. I know I know, people explode in spring games and do nothing later or have bad spring games and become good players. This wasn't a bad spring game performance, this looked like the night before you asked your DE to play QB in the spring game the next day.

With that said, I selfishly wanted Phil to get more PT after UM to see if he improved and could be the future. ND still could have won games with a DE at QB because our D was playing so well and the schedule was soft at the end.

Reactions: Kelso86
From what I've heard, i believe he was given a chance early on and was just flat out not good at running at high level college offense and didn't show the mental ability to manage the offense and physical mechanics to run the plays.

My opinion only is this, coaches didn't see him being a starter at QB moving forward at ND therefor the chances/reps started evaporating.

I do believe Rees and others didn't spend much time on him later in the season, but it wasn't because they want a pure pocket passer and phil is going to be justin fields or Jalen Hurts. The complete opposite, it is because he is nothing like Justin Fields or Jalen Hurts. His spring game performance was the worst thing i've even seen from a QB. I know I know, people explode in spring games and do nothing later or have bad spring games and become good players. This wasn't a bad spring game performance, this looked like the night before you asked your DE to play QB in the spring game the next day.

With that said, I selfishly wanted Phil to get more PT after UM to see if he improved and could be the future. ND still could have won games with a DE at QB because our D was playing so well and the schedule was soft at the end.
i wanted to see what he could do also but it didn't happen. this incessant desire to affix "blame" in a situation like this is absurd. the kid is moving on by choice because he feels it's in his best interest. the "why" shouldn't matter to anyone but him. He may be great at his next stop and for his sake i hope he is. He may never become the player he was projected to be either coming out of high school. that's an all too familiar tale. will likely become a win-win for all parties involved.

Chance, maybe, but the teaching and positional approach was just not a good fit for PJ. I think PJ bears some fault in not understanding that was going to be the case, during his recruitment. JMO, but Buchner might be another guy like that. Pyne is a perfect fit. ‘Free Willy’ is not the best descriptive fit for a BK QB. BK wants to know and control every thought, motion and attitude of his QB.
Manziel types would have Kelly institutionalized in short order.

Last edited:
I think he could have been given opportunities to play more football in live situations. Some athletes don't do well in practice but do well in game situations. When I attended the University of Miami, it was his tail back. I don't remember his last name but his first name was Johnny. Can we play Texas and beat him, he rushed for over a hundred yards and I remember telling him that I think he should start. He was very honest and upfront and told me that he didn't practice well, didn't put out in practice like the other players and didn't deserve to start. But when given the opportunity, he played Balls to the walls. Now that may not be PJ's case, but he did the best he could when he got the opportunity, and what really irritated me was all the handoffs he had to do instead of play-action passes etcetera.

i wanted to see what he could do also but it didn't happen. this incessant desire to affix "blame" in a situation like this is absurd. the kid is moving on by choice because he feels it's in his best interest. the "why" shouldn't matter to anyone but him. He may be great at his next stop and for his sake i hope he is. He may never become the player he was projected to be either coming out of high school. that's an all too familiar tale. will likely become a win-win for all parties involved.
He is most likely moving on because he wasn't going to play. If a player isn't going to play and moves on, that's a good thing and a healthy program when you still have depth at that position. Frees up scholarships.

One of the biggest strengths and issues with ND is not enough players that flat out don't pan out don't leave. The writing on the wall is there early on for many players that they most likely won't ever play meaningful reps at ND, yet they still stay to get their degree. At the top consistent schools, players quit and or transfer all the time when they don't see PT. This allows them to keep having classes around 25+ when ND keeps having smaller classes. I could list about 5-10 players that have minimal chance at ever playing meaningful minutes at ND yet are not transferring until maybe after they graduate.

I think he could have been given opportunities to play more football in live situations. Some athletes don't do well in practice but do well in game situations. When I attended the University of Miami, it was his tail back. I don't remember his last name but his first name was Johnny. Can we play Texas and beat him, he rushed for over a hundred yards and I remember telling him that I think he should start. He was very honest and upfront and told me that he didn't practice well, didn't put out in practice like the other players and didn't deserve to start. But when given the opportunity, he played Balls to the walls. Now that may not be PJ's case, but he did the best he could when he got the opportunity, and what really irritated me was all the handoffs he had to do instead of play-action passes etcetera.
I agree with you except he was awful at the AA game, he was even worse at the spring game. ALl games with the lights on. Spring game was most alarming because it's set up for QBs to be successful.

What's with this "well enough" crap? He touches the ball on every offensive snap and he led his offense to 17 points, while throwing 2 interceptions. If your suggestion is that the defense is somehow at fault for surrendering 23 points on the road at Georgia, I don't know what to say. It's modern football. The QB is BY FAR the most important player in the field. He has to play like it.

Shea Patterson made plays when asked to in that monsoon. Hung in for a nice TD throw and took a hit. Scrambled for key first downs. Why does Ian need you to excuse him for 8-25 in that game?

Was Ian's fumble at midfield against Clemson the fault of his receivers? Was his brutal overthrow to a wide open Boykin for a touchdown the fault of his receivers? Was his terrible miss to a wide open Boykin on a 4th down slant route route the fault of his receivers. Was his bad downfield miss to Finke on the option route deep in the Clemson red zone the fault of his receivers?.. Yeah, his receivers could have played better. The Claypool and Mack drops were not good. But none of that excuses how poorly and skittish Ian played in that game. Particularly in the first half when the game was still tightly contested.

I've been extremely fair to Ian Book this year. I've praised him when he's played well, but I'm not going to blow smoke up people's asses who try to tell me that he played well when he didn't.

Newsflash... He got a "go back to school" grade by the NFL as a senior. He doesn't impress anybody when the lights get bright and the competition gets tough. He had a legitimate NFL WR and a legitimate NFL tight end to pass to.this year as well. They made all kinds of plays for him. I don't want to hear any crap about the talent surrounding him.

Flat out, if Ian wants to be one of the best QB's in the country he has to play at the level he does vs Duke and Navy when he plays Clemson, Wisconsin and USC next year.. Nobody expects the exact same numbers in those game, because they understand the rise in level of competition but we (I at least) want a QB who we can define as better than "fine" and having played "well enough" in those games. How about "he was a star vs Wisconsin" and "he was the catalyst in beating Clemson"...? That would be a nice change.
What am awsome post. This encapsulates evey thing I've been saying this year and getting brow beaten for. I just don't think most fans here can handle the truth. Jurkovec was the best recruit we had come through in five years. I personally think we didn't coach him well enough or adjust to his skill set.

THAT'S AWFUL !!! HOW DEGRADING........GIMME A BREAK....
Wow echo chill dude lol. There are others that IIO posted that I see you ignored. Did it rise to the level of throwing under the bus probably not. Do I think it was wrong of Kelly yes.

Ya real on the field experience doesn't right? His numbers warranted more playing time. If you had to guess who had a better shot at the NFL would you pick PJ or Book?
what does the NFL have to do with it ? i have stated that yes i would have liked to see what PJ can do. didn't happen. the point is still true that the greatest amount of development occurs on the practice field. only 22 players on the field at once.

what does the NFL have to do with it ? i have stated that yes i would have liked to see what PJ can do. didn't happen. the point is still true that the greatest amount of development occurs on the practice field. only 22 players on the field at once.
Seems like you're quick to defend Book and Kelly and dismiss Phil. I was under the impression you didn't think much of him and Book was a better QB.

Versus 10-2 repeatedly playing a QB who wets the bed under pressure and or against a great opponent?

The fact that all backups have been better than the starters under Brian Kelly tells me Phil just by that fact alone is better than Book.

So according to you, when Kizer was a starter his backup was better ?

Was his backup drafted by the NFL ?

What am awsome post. This encapsulates evey thing I've been saying this year and getting brow beaten for. I just don't think most fans here can handle the truth. Jurkovec was the best recruit we had come through in five years. I personally think we didn't coach him well enough or adjust to his skill set.
His HS skill set or the Skill set he showed at the AA game or Spring game?

I had higher hopes for Brandon than Phil. Wimbush has a better arm and is more athletic but was just shorter.

I will agree with you on this. I either think Kelly isn't that great of a QB developer of we've had some recruiting misses.

ND isn't the only school missing, Bama gets highly recruited QBs every year and not all of them pan out.

So according to you, when Kizer was a starter his backup was better ?

Was his backup drafted by the NFL ?
Weird situation. Kizer never went into a season at ND as a full time starter. Kizer should have been the clear starter in 16 and eventually turned into that. But Malik was never even close to the same after his injury.

Seems like you're quick to defend Book and Kelly and dismiss Phil. I was under the impression you didn't think much of him and Book was a better QB.
Not defending anyone. i just think that the idea that someone is at "fault" is silly. the kid made the choice that ND is not where he wants to be. why can't it be as simple as that ? At this point in time yes i believe Book is the better QB. I did want to see what PJ could do but it never happened. everyone moves on after he made his decision. PJ could turn out to be the greatest college QB ever. that would be awesome for him. I highly doubt his moving on will impact the football program at Notre Dame in a negative way one iota.

His HS skill set or the Skill set he showed at the AA game or Spring game?

I had higher hopes for Brandon than Phil. Wimbush has a better arm and is more athletic but was just shorter.

I will agree with you on this. I either think Kelly isn't that great of a QB developer of we've had some recruiting misses.

ND isn't the only school missing, Bama gets highly recruited QBs every year and not all of them pan out.
Ya you have this thing that you hang Phil's entire resume on that spring game and ignore his past or present work. While I think you will be rooting for his failure elswhere because you don't want to be wrong. I'll be rooting for his success because I do believe he will be an excellent qb for someone and he was not developed here.

Reactions: mbd11
Not defending anyone. i just think that the idea that someone is at "fault" is silly. the kid made the choice that ND is not where he wants to be. why can't it be as simple as that ? At this point in time yes i believe Book is the better QB. I did want to see what PJ could do but it never happened. everyone moves on after he made his decision. PJ could turn out to be the greatest college QB ever. that would be awesome for him. I highly doubt his moving on will impact the football program at Notre Dame in a negative way one iota.
Well we can agree to disagree then. I think ND handled him poorly and I think he was the best recruit here in the last five years. Kelly and ND made the decision to stick with Book who I believe has hit his ceiling and in my opinion did not give PJ enough of a chance to develop on the field. Made it very clear there was not competition come spring or fall. So I don't blame him one iota for leaving.

Well we can agree to disagree then. I think ND handled him poorly and I think he was the best recruit here in the last five years. Kelly and ND made the decision to stick with Book who I believe has hit his ceiling and in my opinion did not give PJ enough of a chance to develop on the field. Made it very clear there was not competition come spring or fall. So I don't blame him one iota for leaving.
I don't blame him either, in fact i don't believe there is blame to be laid anywhere in this situation. it just doesn't work out sometimes just like Justin Fields at Georgia.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I don't blame him either, in fact i don't believe there is blame to be laid anywhere in this situation. it just doesn't work out sometimes just like Justin Fields at Georgia.
OK thats fine, you're welcome to your opinion. I've been saying all year I think PJ was not being developed, that he earned more time on the field. I also predicted he would transfer. I do put his transferring on the staff. I think we whiffed on this one. Just my opinion. Just as my opinion to make Rees an OC is a colossal mistake.

OK thats fine, you're welcome to your opinion. I've been saying all year I think PJ was not being developed, that he earned more time on the field. I also predicted he would transfer. I do put his transferring on the staff. I think we whiffed on this one. Just my opinion.
fair enough. the only instance in which i would blame the staff is if they suggested to him that he transfer. who knows maybe that did happen.

Reactions: irish4life888
OK thats fine, you're welcome to your opinion. I've been saying all year I think PJ was not being developed, that he earned more time on the field. I also predicted he would transfer. I do put his transferring on the staff. I think we whiffed on this one. Just my opinion. Just as my opinion to make Rees an OC is a colossal mistake.
"colossal " ? you must have mighty low expectations for next year if that turns out to indeed be the case. i think the whole experience thing is overrated especially in this case. it's not a guy who is being brought in with no knowledge of the system the head coach chooses to employ offensively. quite the contrary.

"colossal " ? you must have mighty low expectations for next year if that turns out to indeed be the case. i think the whole experience thing is overrated especially in this case. it's not a guy who is being brought in with no knowledge of the system the head coach chooses to employ offensively. quite the contrary.
I think next year will be very similar to this year. I don't think the effects will be felt immediately. I think it's too big of a jump. I think recruting will definitely take a hit. I hope I'm completely off on this and will be more then happy to eat crow. I was not, and still not, happy about making him qb coach with zero experience. I'll say it again. ND is not the place to come cut your coaching teeth.

He is most likely moving on because he wasn't going to play. If a player isn't going to play and moves on, that's a good thing and a healthy program when you still have depth at that position. Frees up scholarships.

One of the biggest strengths and issues with ND is not enough players that flat out don't pan out don't leave. The writing on the wall is there early on for many players that they most likely won't ever play meaningful reps at ND, yet they still stay to get their degree. At the top consistent schools, players quit and or transfer all the time when they don't see PT. This allows them to keep having classes around 25+ when ND keeps having smaller classes. I could list about 5-10 players that have minimal chance at ever playing meaningful minutes at ND yet are not transferring until maybe after they graduate.

I totally agree with you. The attraction for a true ND recruit is the degree and the football...not just the football, like the factories. It's both a positive and negative for ND football.

I totally agree with you. The attraction for a true ND recruit is the degree and the football...not just the football, like the factories. It's both a positive and negative for ND football.
Let's not fool ourselves here. Sure the kids pick ND for the combo of academics and football. But a recruit like PJ, that doesn't come that often, has his sights on the NFL. If he feels ND is not going to facilitate that, he's going elsewhere. Which of course he did.

Ya you have this thing that you hang Phil's entire resume on that spring game and ignore his past or present work. While I think you will be rooting for his failure elswhere because you don't want to be wrong. I'll be rooting for his success because I do believe he will be an excellent qb for someone and he was not developed here.
See this is where you are 100% wrong, i've been rooting for Phil to get way more PT at ND. I just feel there is a reason that he didn't. After 3 good to great seasons in a row our coaching staff deserves at least some trust. I trust that if Phil was a good QB he would have been given more love.

Oh I think Georgia feels differently

I think next year will be very similar to this year. I don't think the effects will be felt immediately. I think it's too big of a jump. I think recruting will definitely take a hit. I hope I'm completely off on this and will be more then happy to eat crow. I was not, and still not, happy about making him qb coach with zero experience. I'll say it again. ND is not the place to come cut your coaching teeth.
ND may land Will Shipley, probably leading....... if that happens my trust for Kelly and staff only increases. Getting Tyree then Will back to back years would be our best RB recruiting that I can ever remember.

Let's not fool ourselves here. Sure the kids pick ND for the combo of academics and football. But a recruit like PJ, that doesn't come that often, has his sights on the NFL. If he feels ND is not going to facilitate that, he's going elsewhere. Which of course he did.
So did Zaire, Wimbush, and Golson. Zaire and Wimbush were big recruits. Sometimes you just aren't good enough. But hey, he controls his own destiny, so I have no issues with him chasing it. ND doesn't think he's good enough.

ND may land Will Shipley, probably leading....... if that happens my trust for Kelly and staff only increases. Getting Tyree then Will back to back years would be our best RB recruiting that I can ever remember.

You can thank Lance Taylor for that. As soon as ND's lazy recruiter of a RB coach got shipped off elsewhere, ND goes right back to landing quality backs like they did under Tony Alford.

Not defending anyone? …. Oh my gawd ….. 50 or more posts on this thread alone ….. same ole not defending anyone ad nauseum …… SMH

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT