ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Jurkovec Transferring

Can’t blame him. Coaching staff publicity and behind the scenes didn’t believe him and he was never going to get a fair shot. We’ll see if he’s actually a good player or not down the road wherever he lands

Reactions: jcswoopnh
As expected and anticipated by anyone and everyone with a clue.

Good luck big fella! ND's now all in on Ian Book getting better and Tyler Buchner being ready as a freshman.
Wonder where Jurkovec* will end up? Anyone recall who was in recruiting competition?

Can’t blame him. Coaching staff publicity and behind the scenes didn’t believe him and he was never going to get a fair shot. We’ll see if he’s actually a good player or not down the road wherever he lands

Staff didn't believe in him. Brian Kelly tossed him under the bus, publically, multiple times this year. Looks like he just needs a fresh start elsewhere, playing for a staff that will mold the offense to his skill set, rather than a staff that wants to fit a square peg into a round hole.

He should have stayed....he will have to sit out next year. If he stayed he likely got in games and if Book gets injured then her would be in line for significant time. He could then graduate and leave next year with two years of eligibility remaining and start immediately.

Reactions: iwish and Golson5
That must have been the case because either way he will have to sit out next year, right? It is his job to lose in 2021 and there is always the possibility of Book going down. This is kinda a head scratcher for me.

He should have stayed....he will have to sit out next year. If he stayed he likely got in games and if Book gets injured then her would be in line for significant time. He could then graduate and leave next year with two years of eligibility remaining and start immediately.
Why play for coaches who will not give you a chance and has publicly put you down?

Can he claim an transfer portal exception because of Chip's firing (did Chip recruit him) and maybe get on the field next year? (That is the only way it makes sense to me.)

Staff didn't believe in him. Brian Kelly tossed him under the bus, publically, multiple times this year. Looks like he just needs a fresh start elsewhere, playing for a staff that will mold the offense to his skill set, rather than a staff that wants to fit a square peg into a round hole.
When did Kelly throw him under the bus? I don't remember that at all.

Wonder why he waited? Has an OC decision been made? If so, it seems the status quo was not going to work for him. Or maybe he watched Payne in the all-star game? Or saw Buchner's Junior year numbers? Don't want to knock the kid -- I was excited by his speed and athleticism in his hs film -- and thought he would become our best option in 2021.

I do remember IIO was more excited about Clark coming out of HS.

That must have been the case because either way he will have to sit out next year, right? It is his job to lose in 2021 and there is always the possibility of Book going down. This is kinda a head scratcher for me.

Why would it be his job to lose in 2021? Pyne maybe would have started in front of him and/or Buchner might end up starting as a freshman.

Maybe he just isn't good. Ever thought of that? Clark looked better in his 5-10 minutes of play then any time I saw Phil play.
Clark played this year? Just based on the very limited play the gave PJ his numbers where good. 80% comp rate. Ran good and 2 tds and no picks. He deserved a shot. It's obvious Book is Kelly's boy. I'm rooting for phil to be an AA elsewhere.

This isn't throwing under the bus, IIO. From Kelly in late October:

"I think that Phil has gotten better and will continue to get better and he's challenging Ian every single day, even if you guys don't see it. Just because he's '2' doesn't mean he's not challenging Ian and making him better every day in practice... We think that he is better as a football player and a quarterback than when camp started,” said Kelly. “We just hope that that continues to move in the right direction and we're pretty confident that it will... He hasn't played a lot of real football. It's been a lot of practice football. It's an incredible game, right? You practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, and then you play only 12 games. He's practiced a lot and hasn't played a lot in college. So, he's really missing that college, which is faster, and so, that's really all he's missing right now. In practice he looks pretty good, but it's getting to that point where he actually plays in some of the games and making those quick decisions, changing protections, making some quick decisions. Those are the things that he's going to have to continue to work on."

Seems like it may not entirely be done that he’s gone. It’d be nice from a depth standpoint for him to come back. See what happens.

I thought he had a much higher ceiling than Book. He must have lost confidence in the staff and needs a new scene. Hard to improve when you do not see the field. OSU might be a nice landing spot. The Oregon Ducks could be nice. The problem is he has to sit a year. He could have played next year if Book was injured but I suspect he is burned out seeing little chance to play despite having a world of talent.

Not shocking at all and have been saying this for months. He was not given the chance to develop. I put this one on the coaching staff. I wish him the best and hope he becomes an AA where ever he lands.
i think its outright nonsense to say any player "was not given the chance to develop ". where do you think that happens ? it happens on the practice field. I personally would have liked to see more of him in games but that's just me. He obviously feels it's in his best interest to move on. to blame the coaching staff for that is really shortsighted in my opinion. I just don't understand that line of thinking.

Why do these 5*, and high 4*, guys walk in and immediately play -a lot of times successfully- at other blue blood programs, but they can't at ND? Has there ever been an elite-ish QB come in and excel under BK? Jeez man, please don't ruin Buchner cuz that kid looks amazing.

I thought he had a much higher ceiling than Book. He must have lost confidence in the staff and needs a new scene. Hard to improve when you do not see the field. OSU might be a nice landing spot. The Oregon Ducks could be nice. The problem is he has to sit a year. He could have played next year if Book was injured but I suspect he is burned out seeing little chance to play despite having a world of talent.
improvement occurs on the practice field. using your scenario everyone should play whether they're ready or not.

His inability to throw the ball other than a deep ball was very apparent at the Army AA game, spring game, and his limited opportunities.

OSU as in Ohio State ? that would be a horrible decision. Fields has another year and they have Miller and Stroud coming in.

Reactions: Kelso86
respect your opinion but vehemently disagree on this one.

Clark played this year? Just based on the very limited play the gave PJ his numbers where good. 80% comp rate. Ran good and 2 tds and no picks. He deserved a shot. It's obvious Book is Kelly's boy. I'm rooting for phil to be an AA elsewhere.
Define “deserved a shot”. Minus injury, a team has only one starting QB. That’s reality. Not sure what you think should have been handled differently.

Reactions: echowaker

He may have "a world of talent" but he clearly didn't earn the starting job, period. No chance he doesn't play if he is the clear cut winner in practice. Frustrated and thinks he can start elsewhere? Sure, ok, absolutely - don't blame him. But let's not fuel any fire around the coaching staff being "at fault." They have shown time and time again they will play those who deserve it.

Reactions: echowaker and Ara64
Wonder where Jurkovec* will end up? Anyone recall who was in recruiting competition?

Phil chose the Fighting Irish over scholarship offers from Alabama, Clemson, Kentucky, Michigan State, North Carolina, Ohio State, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Tennessee UCLA, Wisconsin and others.

Reactions: rgc7

Yep super obvious Book is Kelly’s boy. Can’t wait to watch him become an AA just like Golson, Zaire, and Wimbush.

Why do these 5*, and high 4*, guys walk in and immediately play -a lot of times successfully- at other blue blood programs, but they can't at ND? Has there ever been an elite-ish QB come in and excel under BK? Jeez man, please don't ruin Buchner cuz that kid looks amazing.
He was not Trevor Lawrence, don't kid yourself.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Yep super obvious Book is Kelly’s boy. Can’t wait to watch him become an AA just like Golson, Zaire, and Wimbush.
Ha. If Book was Kelly’s boy Brandon Wimbush would not have started the first four games in 2018. They gave Wimbush every possible chance to keep the starting job. Book just ended up being the better alternative.

Phil chose the Fighting Irish over scholarship offers from Alabama, Clemson, Kentucky, Michigan State, North Carolina, Ohio State, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Tennessee UCLA, Wisconsin and others.
maybe he'll go home to Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Kelso86
Feel like this one could hurt. Didn't feel that way about Kiel, Golson, Zaire, or Wimbush.

Maybe he wasn't developing in practice but always felt Jurkovec had a chance to be the best athlete on the field and win games on his own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT