ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Jurkovec Transferring

Maybe he just isn't good. Ever thought of that? Clark looked better in his 5-10 minutes of play then any time I saw Phil play.
Because he would have been in the program 3 years. And the other two would have had to beat him out. Ergo, his to lose.

Feel like this one could hurt. Didn't feel that way about Kiel, Golson, Zaire, or Wimbush.

Maybe he wasn't developing in practice but always felt Jurkovec had a chance to be the best athlete on the field and win games on his own.
i don't blame any kid for doing what he feels is in his best interests. why does there always have to be someone to "blame" ? maybe it's a win-win for all parties ?

OSU as in Ohio State ? that would be a horrible decision. Fields has another year and they have Miller and Stroud coming in.
Don't see him playing at either place.

Maybe he'll go 'row the boat' after Tanner Morgan leaves? He seems to fit that offense and he'll have a chance to develop with a proven QB whisperer in Sanford.

Reactions: tbonesays
Don't see him playing at either place.

Maybe he'll go 'row the boat' after Tanner Morgan leaves? He seems to fit that offense and he'll have a chance to develop with a proven QB whisperer in Sanford.
sorry, not nearly as high on Sanford as some.

Fromm just announced he’s going into the draft. Possible PJ destination? Georgia has a huge hole at QB and will be looking for a transfer.

Yep super obvious Book is Kelly’s boy. Can’t wait to watch him become an AA just like Golson, Zaire, and Wimbush.

Cracks me up. So many things here. First, maybe he's BK's choice because he earned the starting position and was the clear obvious best option? You are saying you think Phil was the better option, had earned the starting position and BK overruled everyone and kept Ian in? Wow, ok......

And while I am in no way, shape or form suggesting Book is an AA, I will say that he's clearly done pretty well.....

454/713 for 5,662 yards, 53 TD's and a 23-3 record the last two seasons.

I guess Avery will move back to the quarterback position now. I bet Brandon is excited today.

That's too bad. Physically, he was our most talented QB - 6'5", 230 lbs, rifle arm, good running ability. I think he can become a good QB somewhere.

Hey it's Phil's choice, and I, of course, wish him well ... but I think it's a mistake and really says something about his competitive make up. Particularly cause he needs to sit a year. Good luck son!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennick4
Hey it's Phil's choice, and I wish him ... but I think it's a mistake and really says something about his competitive make up. Particularly cause he needs to sit a year. Good luck son!

Says nothing about his competitive makeup.
Phil loves ND & wanted to stay & compete. He’s leaving because the staff talked about him behind his back then lied to his face about it. He has zero trust in the staff now.

Reactions: deadprez3
2nd point to these knuckleheads on this board articulating blame on the coaches, do you realize just how stupid that sounds? Ever think maybe Phil didn't earn his playing time. Why is it always someone elses fault? Maybe it's on Phil, or maybe there is no blame

Clark played this year? Just based on the very limited play the gave PJ his numbers where good. 80% comp rate. Ran good and 2 tds and no picks. He deserved a shot. It's obvious Book is Kelly's boy. I'm rooting for phil to be an AA elsewhere.
Are you Phil’s dad? You sound like a pissed off parent.

Phil didn’t earn it. Clearly, he didn’t perform in practice or in meeting rooms.

Have fun rooting for Phil to be an AA elsewhere. Go whine on their message boards.

I guess Avery will move back to the quarterback position now. I bet Brandon is excited today.
you think so ? i don't think he moves back unless one of the other three sustains an injury. Has to be a walk on QB no ?

Cracks me up. So many things here. First, maybe he's BK's choice because he earned the starting position and was the clear obvious best option? You are saying you think Phil was the better option, had earned the starting position and BK overruled everyone and kept Ian in? Wow, ok......

And while I am in no way, shape or form suggesting Book is an AA, I will say that he's clearly done pretty well.....

454/713 for 5,662 yards, 53 TD's and a 23-3 record the last two seasons.

Sarcasm not your strong suit?

Phil loves ND & wanted to stay & compete. He’s leaving because the staff talked about him behind his back then lied to his face about it. He has zero trust in the staff now.
So what you're saying is that Phil gave ND the best chance to win, but the coaches didn't see that or choose not to? You know coaches who are paid handsomely to win. Well that is an interesting approach

Fromm just announced he’s going into the draft. Possible PJ destination? Georgia has a huge hole at QB and will be looking for a transfer.
On second thought, Georgia will be looking for a grad transfer who has been a starter to come in and take over for them. Phil doesn't fit that bill. Newman from Wake was the first name I heard for them, but he's expected to go to Oregon.

Phil didn’t earn it. Clearly, he didn’t perform in practice or in meeting rooms.

Have fun rooting for Phil to be an AA elsewhere. Go whine on their message boards.

Phil was considered one of the hardest workers on the team. According to BK’s last interview Phil was the “clear #2,” getting better every day & challenging Book.
You might want to go learn what happened.
It has nothing to do with Phil’s football abilities.

Reactions: deadprez3
Phil was considered one of the hardest workers on the team. According to BK’s last interview Phil was the “clear #2,” getting better every day & challenging Book.
best of luck to him. ND will survive.

no one knows for certain outside of the young man himself and the university. the rest is nothing more than reckless speculation. maybe the realization that he'd likely be the backup for another full season was enough to make the decision to move on. nothing wrong with that.

i call BS unless you're referencing a coach who is no longer there.

It’s all out there now. Go read about it. Listen to the multiple podcasts from multiple sites about it. It has been out there for months, but now he is in the portal people are openly talking about it.

Sidenote:

A certain group of posters on here consider me a BK apologist. A ND/BK homer. They think I always blindly agree with BK & ND.
Then when I don’t, now I’m anti-BK & the ND staff? Interesting.
What happened to Phil isn’t a secret. It’s a known thing now. I think the ND staff were wrong. I think they handled the situation wrong. And they compounded it by how they didn’t fix it.

Does Phil have to sit-out this year? If the answer is yes I don’t understand the decision. Even if he was number 2 and didn’t play this year he’s sitting out else where. He could leave as a grad transfer, have 2 years left and be eligible in 2021 anyway.

I’m going to guess he has a waiver in mind.

please cite the quotes where he was put down publicly by the head coach ?
This is just a cursory search "But it’s hard being the backup quarterback and stay locked in all the time. So there are a couple things where you scratch your head,". 11-18

Are you a coach in practices and meetings? How the heck do you know nostrsdumasss? Phil played well enough this year to earned being developed. Imo the coaches failed him. You're welcome to your opinion as I am but you don't have to be a dick if you disagree.

Does Phil have to sit-out this year? If the answer is yes I don’t understand the decision. Even if he was number 2 and didn’t play this year he’s sitting out else where. He could leave as a grad transfer, have 2 years left and be eligible in 2021 anyway.

I’m going to guess he has a waiver in mind.
If I had go guess Im thinking he wasn't being developed or felt he wasn't getting a fair shot. He was too highly recruited to ride the pine behind inferior talent. So if that's the case I agree with him to move on.

Ha. If Book was Kelly’s boy Brandon Wimbush would not have started the first four games in 2018. They gave Wimbush every possible chance to keep the starting job. Book just ended up being the better alternative.

I think IFS is joking because none of BK's transferring QBs has ever worked out. Not sure if the fault is theirs or the foundation Kelly laid.

Define “deserved a shot”. Minus injury, a team has only one starting QB. That’s reality. Not sure what you think should have been handled differently.
He should have been given more real playing time. Not just keep Book in to inflate his numbers against inferior teams. Then when he finally does get put the play book is closed and he's relegated to handing off.

He was given every chance. Clearly he didn’t handle himself well in practice and in the meeting rooms. Why was Phil entitled to PT?
BS, you have no freaking clue what happened in practices or meeting rooms. Are you seriously trying to tell us you are a ND coach now ?

Reactions: NIN Irish

PJ is leaving because staying may very well forfeit his chance to earn millions of dollars. Pretty much every MACtion stud gets an NFL shot while 4* backups get ignored.

Reactions: IrishMike409
For the record, ND is going to be fine. They're not winning anything of significance with Ian Book at QB unless improves dramatically, which I don't see happening. That said, they were winning anything with Phil Jurcovec either, IMO, without even more significant improvement than what Book needs.

I do like Brandon Clark's ability to spin the ball and he's an accurate kid. Should serve as a capable backup this year in that he can run the same offense Ian runs. His 2nd team reps will be seamless, unlike they reportedly were with Phil. I don't think Clarke is an elite level guy either, but should make for a quality depth piece. Tyler Buchner is likely the next chance ND has at developing a "game changer".

I've been talking about this inevitability of this transfer for a long time. It was expected by me, so I'm sure the ND staff had a good pulse on the situation.

As for Kelly publically throwing the kid under the bus... Brian Kelly couldn't even come close to being critical of Ian Book early in the year when he was scuffling. He wasn't even critical of him after Michigan.

That said, he made stupid, unneccessary remarks about Phil multiple times this season. Here are a couple examples.

- Kelly openly chided him in the media for reading the wrong play card in the game. Kelly rarely divulges that kind of info, but found it neccessary to tell the media about it in a press conference, when asked about Phil's play. Completely unnecessary. The type of stuff that stays inside a program.

- When asked why Phil wasn't getting more time late in games when ND was blowing opponents out and why Ian Book wasn't coming out in those situations, Kelly responded (I don't have the exact quote) "If I thought Phil could help us win, I'd play him."

Again, they had no confidence in the kid at all. Maybe that was totally warranted. We'll never know. Regardless, I hope he goes elsewhere a flourishes. Seems like a great kid who simply wasn't a good fit at Notre Dame during this staff's tenure. Wish him the best and, hopefully, one of Clarke or Pyne wind up over-achieving, or Buchner is ready to go as a freshman.

Another factor in his leaving is that there was never going to be any competition for the job in 2020. Ian Book has essentially been awarded the position as a reward for deciding to stay at ND, in hopes that he has yet another jump in production in him.

Another factor in his leaving is that there was never going to be any competition for the job in 2020. Ian Book has essentially been awarded the position as a reward for deciding to stay at ND, in hopes that he has yet another jump in production in him.
Good reply IIO and perhaps I'm knee jerking but I though PJs ability would give us our first shot of finally getting an elite qb. Now I'm to the point I don't think this staff can develop one.

Proof?

It’s all out there now. Go read about it. Listen to the multiple podcasts from multiple sites about it. It has been out there for months, but now he is in the portal people are openly talking about it.
Link?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT