ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Jurkovec Transferring

And yet you still chose to frequent this board of your volition.

Does this strike you to be a bit irrational on your part? Would you like me to explain to you the reason why you remain?

Holy mother of God Perez.i don't have time to read these manifestos let alone wries them. I'm guessing you're retired? I mean you are an interesting writer.

Although the comments of others in their negative opinions of Kelly cause you some degree of internal distress, this distress does not outweigh the endorphins your brain receives when defending thy fair maiden's honor. Until at which point the distress outweighs the endorphins release then you will cease in such activities.

Would you also like some insights into why you feel such propensity towards defending thy maiden's honor? I'm guessing you were raised to hold reverence towards people of perceived authority. No doubt your family lineage can be traced back to the feudal system where upon generations and generations of your ancestors were subjected to indoctrination of fealty to landlords and the church. Although these systems eventually decayed some individuals minds have developed and progress away from natural inclinations of deification of men while others remained languished.

We can no doubt surmise that the mind's of individuals within your lineage have no doubt lagged in this process. In absence of a real feudal system in place they will look for substitute deity figures such as religious figures, politicians, and maybe even football coaches.

I'm guessing you come from a very religious family which will also make you highly susceptible towards acts of deity of other men. For as we now, landlords and the church worked in construct to control the masses. It was made much the easier when they indoctrinated people to not question their authority figures and to hold them in high esteem.

While most people have evolved and will only show token signs of deity towards others (primarily for financial gains or in the presence of mortal threat) some are still remain besieged with these inner workings within their mind.

You may be able to identify them in your own life as such:

1) The overly religious (although some people simply use religion as a coping mechanism for the realities of death; distinction being their interests in religion from post adolescence to around midlife when one begins to square with their own mortality)

2) Those overly concerned with political matters, especially when those matters have in reality lose affiliations with their day to day lives. They will hold political figures with either great reverence or contempt

3) Those prone to service in the military for reasons other than financial gain

4) Those that don the athletic uniforms of other adults--especially in the absence of any type of social connection (note adolescences are excluded from any of these evaluations as they yet still have developing minds)

Hopefully this information has granted you some insights into your behaviors and will help you to decide whether you wish to remain on this board or even if there were to be other areas you may wish to adjust in your life.

Also, your propensity to lament your disapproval of the board to everyone here would show that you are apt to outward expressions of displeasure and the expectation that your circumstances change, rather than, you yourself change. You probably consider yourself to be a victim to life's circumstances on a great many occasions. This is likely frustrating for you. Just know that these outward expressions are off putting to most people and they will likely not desire to be in your presence should it occur too often.

I might also add that I am very fond of your avatar. Kelly is such a handsome fellow.

The degrees of bad that have started at ND based on this logic:

Zaire obviously should’ve started over Golson and Kizer obviously should’ve started over Zaire. How bad was Golson?

Book obviously should’ve started over Wimbush and Phil obviously should’ve started over Book. How bad was Wimbush?
BK....

Has absolutely positively zero clue what the hell he's doing with the QB spot.

Oddly...he was a linebacker as a player. I'm not trying to say all coaches must specialize in their own prior position but for god sake after all this time it's....
absolutely....
concrete..........
rock solid............
he...

Has NO idea how to judge QB talent and when selecting the wrong player to start he has.....

NO IDEA how to develop said QB.

Given that in today's game the QB is far and away the position of utmost importance.........

We see an anemic offense against top competition.

In an age where everyone scores points....the Damn Citadel team scored 10 points and was tied at halftime with Bama.....we have to hope and pray for just to move the sticks.

BK is not a good coach. He's fools gold.

He might be a good if he'd check his ignorant ego at the door and stay away from the QB spot altogether. That coaching move right there would be brilliant and his best in a decade. Dismiss himself all thing QB related and I'd bet you anything our offense improves significantly!!!

BK....

Has absolutely positively zero clue what the hell he's doing with the QB spot.

Oddly...he was a linebacker as a player. I'm not trying to say all coaches must specialize in their own prior position but for god sake after all this time it's....
absolutely....
concrete..........
rock solid............
he...

Has NO idea how to judge QB talent and when selecting the wrong player to start he has.....

NO IDEA how to develop said QB.

Given that in today's game the QB is far and away the position of utmost importance.........

We see an anemic offense against top competition.

In an age where everyone scores points....the Damn Citadel team scored 10 points and was tied at halftime with Bama.....we have to hope and pray for just to move the sticks.

BK is not a good coach. He's fools gold.

He might be a good if he'd check his ignorant ego at the door and stay away from the QB spot altogether. That coaching move right there would be brilliant and his best in a decade. Dismiss himself all thing QB related and I'd bet you anything our offense improves significantly!!!
Ouch!

There's more conspiracy going on here than the Demo's manufactured about Trump and the Russians. ND ought to kick Book off the team, fire BK and all his offensive coaching assistants, and plead with Phil not to transfer. It kinda plays like that wonderful old Sony and Cher classic...

Aside from your sarcasm that might actually improve our offense.

Just saying :cool:

Preferable would be his absence from any day to day activities of the offense such as he does with defense.

We have seen the improvements to the defense since he has been forced to be absolved from all responsibilities pertaining to that side of the ball (although he was able to slip in that hideous USC game plan this year).

I think optimally used Kelly should just be less charismatic, less eloquently spoken, and plumper/older version of Dabo. Although that may require him learn to transmit text messages to recruits with some sort of regularity.

For it has been exhibited at this point that he does not possess the requisite technical mastery of the game of football as his contemporaries. The better the actual strategies and plots of the football program can be insulated from his thoughts and opinions the more success we shall see on the field. Again, the success of the defense is a direct manifestation of this.

Reactions: 88ND
10th page of a thread, what’s going on?
Some people that don't really understand are trying to get Brian Kelly a statue. Matter of fact they're ready to give him credit for picking the location and the materials used forcing the university to buy a good quality statue.

They're also saying BK forced the university to be better prepared with concessions for the next outdoor hockey game!!

Reactions: scubastevefl
Some people that don't really understand are trying to get Brian Kelly a statue. Matter of fact they're ready to give him credit for picking the location and the materials used forcing the university to buy a good quality statue.

They're also saying BK forced the university to be better prepared with concessions for the next outdoor hockey game!!

Thanks for the update

Preferable would be his absence from any day to day activities of the offense such as he does with defense.

We have seen the improvements to the defense since he has been forced to be absolved from all responsibilities pertaining to that side of the ball (although he was able to slip in that hideous USC game plan this year).

I think optimally used Kelly should just be less charismatic, less eloquently spoken, and plumper/older version of Dabo. Although that may require him learn to transmit text messages to recruits with some sort of regularity.

For it has been exhibited at this point that he does not possess the requisite technical mastery of the game of football as his contemporaries. The better the actual strategies and plots of the football program can be insulated from his thoughts and opinions the more success we shall see on the field. Again, the success of the defense is a direct manifestation of this.
Friends don't let friends be defensive coordinators. He finally got that memo......22 games too late but he got it now.

I wish he'd just dismiss himself altogether but that won't happen...unfortunately.
He does however need to get a million miles from the QB position. Light years away.

The biggest shortcoming of our football team is the offense.
This is what we DON'T see from the offense.....
Quick scoring? No
Urgency? No
Explosive plays? No
Creativity? No
Chunk plays? No
Adjustments mid game? No
The right personnel? A definite NO
QB maturation? NO!!!

We don't have to do ALL things above but we must do most of them. At present we do none of them and that's why we can only muster 3 points in a playoff game. 7 points less than the Pittsburgh Panthers scored against the same Clemson team 3 weeks prior.

Something is definitely rotten in Denmark

Friends don't let friends be defensive coordinators. He finally got that memo......22 games too late but he got it now.

I wish he'd just dismiss himself altogether but that won't happen...unfortunately.
He does however need to get a million miles from the QB position. Light years away.

The biggest shortcoming of our football team is the offense.
This is what we DON'T see from the offense.....
Quick scoring? No
Urgency? No
Explosive plays? No
Creativity? No
Chunk plays? No
Adjustments mid game? No
The right personnel? A definite NO
QB maturation? NO!!!

We don't have to do ALL things above but we must do most of them. At present we do none of them and that's why we can only muster 3 points in a playoff game. 7 points less than the Pittsburgh Panthers scored against the same Clemson team 3 weeks prior.

Something is definitely rotten in Denmark

Agreed.

Its patently obvious to those that will remove their blinders and view their here to date support of Kelly as a sunk cost. Regrettably, they have too much ego investment in support of Kelly to see the matter objectively.

And what be the horrors if Kelly shall be replaced? Assuredly it would not be expected that a similar average coach could not be secured? And what excitement and potential might there be for the program shall we find it in the hands of even a coach considered of a caliber higher than average?

But of course we must consider our plight. For we are only fans of one of the most prestigious football program in the country that these same fearful individuals believe Kelly can lead to a national championship. Why should we expect therefore that any high caliber replacement would wish to come here. Surely, and of course with all reason and logic and lacking of emotion we can only conclude we shall find ourselves of another Davie, Willingham, or Weis. And what additional horrors might that wrought as its not as though the university could easily sever ties with said individual shall he underperform.

I fear our situation is so very dire. As such, we must lay ourselves upon thy fair maiden and pledge our undying loyalty and fealty to him lest we find ourselves in the untenable position of perhaps once again joining the ranks of the nations elite.

So we must rejoice in his glaring incompetence!

We must enthusiastically watch on as he positions otherwise unqualified or incompetent individuals for which he has a personal affinity for into positions of great influence and compensation. We shall not question their presence while surviving under the fair maiden nor should we utter their name nor speak poorly of their performance once they depart.

So harken!! And announce with great fanfare the triumphant exploits of Longo, BVG, Martin, Diaco, and now of course the esteemed Quinn. For they have broughten great favor onto the performance of our favorite team.

And shall we treasure each point scored or each fourth down forced against those evil Clemson and Alabama overlords what with their nefarious lower academic requirements and warm weather. How shall we ever hope to win against such insurmountable odds, much less keep the contest spirited through the first half. Surely that Pittsburgh team you mentioned was engaging in some sort of sorcery to garner so many points against such an overwhelming force.

I harbor much trepidation this very minute as I type thinking of the day our fair maiden steps down from his post. One must hope the university swiftly complies with his newest set of demands post haste for prospects that he forgoes the impending contract extension. He clearly has so many other suitors trying to gain his favor. I must admit the situation is currently causing me much anxiety.

unfortunately, for PJ 2 years w/o the kind of intensive refined coaching that PJ needed may have cost him dearly.
Most times, These kids/ their advisors really have one shot at finding the correct match: player/coaches/university. There are a lot of talented kids and to fall behind means catching up can be almost impossible.
Once PJ transfers, I doubt TR nor BK will give a R-A how he does.

luck is when opportunity meets preparation.” PJ had bad luck on both accounts!

QB’s beware.
1 shot? Oh, like Burrow and Fields and Eason?

Huh????
I never met any coach or player named Google.

Matter of fact if I took all the board members and had a practice and the left receiver is told to run a post and he angles toward the flag....I would say what the hell are you doing? Matter of fact every player and coach that I KNOW would say...yeah...I'm not sure what he's doing there.

See let me explain...and I'm not being malicious because if you don't know...that's ok.

The reason the route angling toward the sideline...
(a flag route) isn't ALSO called a post is because it creates entirely way too much confusion for OUR players.

Are we supposed to teach this receiver he's to run a post left, post right, or a post middle? :confused: No!!

It's just more simplified to teach said receiver you're running a post on a particular play. See this way no matter where the receiver lines up in the formation if his route is the post...he and the QB always knows on that play whichever specific receiver is running a post.... he's running straight about 10 -12 yards then angling toward the goal post.
If we want a receiver to run a flag route...no matter where we have him line up on a specific play...we know that specific receiver runs straight then angles toward the FLAG.

Then everyone is on the same page.
As an example the QB knows the right receiver is running a flag route, he's going to ultimately break and angle toward the flag (pilon)
The far left receiver is running a 5 yard crossing route....the slot receiver on the left knows he's running a post. (Straight then a break toward the goal post)
The tight end is staying in to block.
We'll run an A43 playaction fake on this with the fullback and tailback (their safeties are real aggressive and killing our running game) have the tailback after the fake is going to stop and help protect.
Its simplified. Everyone including the most important one...the Qab...knows where all receivers are going. Whatever we call this particular play or no matter what we name it ...the QB and receivers are 101 percent on the same page with ease.

We aren't going to teach post left post right post middle. What the hell. The damn coach will get confused. A post no matter where a receiver lines up is a route toward the goal post. A receiver no matter where he lines up that runs a flag is a route ultimately breaking toward the flag (pilon)

All parties involved know with ease where they're going. The coach, the receiver and the QB.
We need simple because we have 75 or more plays to memorize.

I understand the sentiment and the verbiage being important. Just to be clear, I spent 3 1/2 years on the offensive side of the football for West Liberty University as a videographer and QB coach assistant. We operated 1-9 route tree so nothing was ever explained by name it was by number. So really it was never confusing because every route had a number assigned.

Personally I've never been involved with or heard of programs not having a 1-9 route tree and using that verbiage. I guess moving forward I'll just do that.

A post route, can be toward the outside and as well as toward the middle of the field. it's labeled as a 7 to the left and an 8 to the right 9 is a go route or streak. (Remember all depending on which side of the field the play is designed to) It can also be called a corner.

I'll concede though because arguing verbiage and common names in a volatile game is pointless and everywhere is different.

was way to difficult a thought for you. Stick with the simple stuff or personal attack! dialog and contemplation are beyond your faculties.
Don’t have to personally attack you, Pers. Everyone knows who you are. Nothing I can say about you that hasn’t already been said.

Reactions: Pennick4
“continuously” the same group, constant throwing the young men under the bus. shameful.

Route Trees go back to Don Coryell. Most pass plays are now called by concept with various tags.

Trio Rt (Formation)
72 (Pass Protection)
Zip ( Flanker Short Motion)
Vertigo (Route Concept) Curl/Flat -Hi/Low / 3-4 Verticals
H Angle (Tag)

Everyone knows who you are.

I must contest this point for I have no clue to his or her true identity.

You appear afflicted with a great deal of inner turmoil given the way you converse with others here.

May I suggest perhaps you indulge in a libation this evening to calm your nerves? I'm not sure which deity you will chose to honor but one might reasonably make an accurate account.

Not shocking at all and have been saying this for months. He was not given the chance to develop. I put this one on the coaching staff. I wish him the best and hope he becomes an AA where ever he lands.
r
In today's football world, you see this more and more. Kids don't want to wait. They want to play immediately and there's only one football.

As you'll see in the following link, there are eleven QBs of four-star rating in the transfer portal this year.

Link: https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/TransferPortal/

There were even more in 2019.

Link: https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/TransferPortal/

With Southern Cal having both J.T. Daniels and Kedon Slovis, one of them will transfer as well. Alabama has Mac Jones returning, then Tua's brother and Bryce Young coming in. They won't all stay. Then when we have both Pyne and Buchner at ND, I doubt they will both stay on board.

It's just a sign of the times. Immediate gratification.

Do you often times find yourself tersely telling others to remove themselves from the grassy area surrounding your house?

What be they? Whippersnappers of a young age?
I was merely pointing out that this type of thing is going to happen more and more. It was a post contributing to the discussion, which yours was not.

Your smart ass remark carries no weight with me. Are you capable of posting in an adult manner?

Last edited:
“continuously” the same group, constant throwing the young men under the bus. shameful.
I always thought anytime you start the blame game somebody would get thrown under the bus. Example Book got 95% of the snaps in practice and Phil only got 5%, therefore he wasn't prepared properly. BK has repeatedly said in practice the starter gets 60% of the snaps and the backup takes 40% of the snaps during the season. That's the reason in a bowl press conference he once again said Phil was working hard and getting better. Two constants with BK over his 10 years at ND; the back up never replaces the starter if the game was in doubt, and he never continues to run the full offense to intentionally run up the score on an inferior team. If the team can run the ball in for a touchdown OK, but he's not going to throw the ball that much. Beat the opponent without humiliating them like Miami in 1985. He's not going to make the Kiser mistake again. If Phil can't handle the back up role then he needs to leave. Brandon will be happy to fill the role this fall.

Reactions: echowaker and Telx1
r
In today's football world, you see this more and more. Kids don't want to wait. They want to play immediately and there's only one football.

As you'll see in the following link, there are eleven QBs of four-star rating in the transfer portal this year.

With Southern Cal having both J.T. Daniels and Kedon Slovis, one of them will transfer as well. Alabama has Mac Jones returning, then Tua's brother and Bryce Young coming in. They won't all stay. Then when we have both Pyne and Buchner at ND, I doubt they will both stay on board.

It’s not immediate gratification. There’s a very real chance Phil will never be the QB here no matter how long he waits. If he has stayed, he’d have to beat out Pyne, Buchner, and Clark next year. If he doesn’t win that, he never plays.

Same with Pyne and Buchner. If Buchner beats out Pyne, Pyne’s only chance will be if Buchner leaves early and even then Pyne only gets one year.

The QB position is different. There’s usually only one and he gets all the snaps in game. You don’t get the opportunity to get 10-15 snaps like someone like Tyree hopefully will next season.

Brandon spent the past season as the scout team QB, so he's going to take the Spring and Fall camps to know the offense. Brandon will be happy until these other two stud QBs come into play. One is already on campus. I never understood the philosophy of not letting your back up QB run the offense. It's our second teamers against their first and second teamers. Let him run the offense in real time. You never know when his real time services will be needed. Handing the ball off in back up roles won't help much if pressed into service in the middle of the Clemson or USC games. I understand the slaughter rule logic in the final minute or two, but let the guy run the offense with his back up teammates up until then. Just my opinion.

It’s not immediate gratification. There’s a very real chance Phil will never be the QB here no matter how long he waits. If he has stayed, he’d have to beat out Pyne, Buchner, and Clark next year. If he doesn’t win that, he never plays.

Same with Pyne and Buchner. If Buchner beats out Pyne, Pyne’s only chance will be if Buchner leaves early and even then Pyne only gets one year.

The QB position is different. There’s usually only one and he gets all the snaps in game. You don’t get the opportunity to get 10-15 snaps like someone like Tyree hopefully will next season.

yes and these kids know that 4 years go by quickly and they want to play!
It is the desire to compete that motivates them. Pushed aside, their only recourse is to step aside and go elsewhere’s. The guys that hang around are the ones with lesser competitive juices.

So Jimmy Johnson was correct in humiliating Jerry Faust in 1985? He claimed that his intent was not to humiliate Faust, but to get his back ups real time game experience. I didn't buy it then and I certainly don't now. I read in an article that PJ worked out for Boston College the other day. We will get a good look at him, if he's still around, in 2022. Boston College comes to ND Stadium.

Is PSU an option for him? He might thrive more in a B12 type offense. An air raid based offense.

Is PSU an option for him? He might thrive more in a B12 type offense. An air raid based offense.
I know the University of Kentucky needs a good quarterback. They like to throw the ball a lot. Penn State offered him. It would certainly be a great landing spot for him. I would love for him to stay at ND. I support him and his decision.

r

I agree with you that it is. The transfer portal makes it easier. However in this case I don't think that was the only issue. ND was his dream school. He grew up a ND fan and committed as soon as he could. I think it took more then just Book coming back
Lou, Mike, Eric from SBT, among others all believe there is more to it then that.

Reactions: rgc7
I agree with you that it is. The transfer portal makes it easier. However in this case I don't think that was the only issue. ND was his dream school. He grew up a ND fan and committed as soon as he could. I think it took more then just Book coming back
Lou, Mike, Eric from SBT, among others all believe there is more to it then that.
More than likely, and I hate to see it if that was the case.

I think all these transfers create an unfortunate situation across the board and just opens up the door for rosters to change when a team can go from being an also-ran to a top contender in one fell swoop. It's becoming a free agent market just like major professional sports.

Reactions: irish4life888
Hello Irish Fans,

Is this transfer any good? Looks like BC may be his opportunity for all our QB'S are not very good. Please respond Gold and Green.

The ZIT from BC

And the relentless pursuit of " blame " continues. He's gone. Perhaps we can all learn a lesson from PJ and move on too.

I was merely pointing out that this type of thing is going to happen more and more.

Oh that's merely what you were doing?

Instant gratification now? Shall we not factor in the impact of the newly generated transfer portal and the generally relaxed stance the NCAA has on transfers now?

"Ok Boomer"

It's actually a shrewd business decision.

I know the University of Kentucky needs a good quarterback. They like to throw the ball a lot. Penn State offered him. It would certainly be a great landing spot for him. I would love for him to stay at ND. I support him and his decision.
I thin he should have tried to follow LEach to MSST.

Hello Irish Fans,

Is this transfer any good? Looks like BC may be his opportunity for all our QB'S are not very good. Please respond Gold and Green.

The ZIT from BC

Lot's of chatter said his mechanics were 'off.' The staff tried to hange his throwing motion which can do more harm than good. But he certainly has plenty of arm strength.

Oh that's merely what you were doing?

Instant gratification now? Shall we not factor in the impact of the newly generated transfer portal and the generally relaxed stance the NCAA has on transfers now?

"Ok Boomer"
Sorry that my opinion differs from yours. I thought that was the overall purpose of a message board. To be able to express your opinion, without the juvenile context of posts such as your original response.

My bad. And my sincere apologies.

Ara, we might just have to somewhat disagree on this unofficial mercy rule we have going in most sports. IMHO, if my back ups are playing your backs and your back ups can't stop my back ups, how is that my problem? As a HC, his first duty is with his team, not worrying about the feelings of the opponent. Exceptions are playing a bad FCS program. Program just recovering from the death penalty. Otherwise, let's just institute a running clock in the second half if the margin is 35<. The HC's duty is to prepare his team and getting his back up QB involved when he can in real game conditions is part of that process.Let him run 3rd and long. Let him run red zone offense. Let him run two minute offense. You never know when you're going to need him for real. I can see under 5 to play and your still whipping the ball around with your starters, but otherwise, let 'em play. That game was all on Gerry Faust. Not on Jimmy Johnson. Those other games was all on BK,not Harbaugh or Saban or Sir Dabo. Again, just my opinion. There is sportsmanship , then there is Pop Warner mercy rules for the big boys. Not seeing it.

Reactions: rgc7
Sorry that my opinion differs from yours. I thought that was the overall purpose of a message board. To be able to express your opinion, without the juvenile context of posts such as your original response.

My bad. And my sincere apologies.

Accepted.

Please take care not to paint with such a broad brush in the future, no less an entire generation. For what group be next?

We make efforts to not offend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT