ADVERTISEMENT

Per reports ND has already contacted

Ohio State is declining. Riley played nobody good and lost to Kansas State 3 years in a row. Dabo is 1 in a million.

You might end up playing Ohio State in a New Year's Six bowl. One team that doesn't want to be there and the other without a coach.

He's a clown show. Everything in his world is only black and white, for or against. He wants everyone to only see it his way. Another narcissist. If we like Freeman, we obviously HATE Fickell, right? And thereby we are losers. Dope.

I am not sure which is more remarkable: his arrogance or his immaturity.

The more I read about Marcus Freeman, the more I am convinced he is the right choice. The players want him. Recruits want him. Important alumni (both former football players and others) want him. I have nothing against Luke Fickell--he is a fine football coach--but I truly hope Swarbrick doesn't mess this up. As @Golson5 has paraphrased it, let's swing for the fences. Marcus Freeman is the man.

Last edited:
I have always felt that even with all his experience, Brian Kelly was in over his head when he took the Notre Dame job. He was wildly inconsistent his first two seasons before making a run for the NC. Then back to two years of inconsistency before a good run in 2015 followed by the crash of 2016. It seems it was only when he took a step back and reassessed everything before the 2017 season that he figured it out.

Agree. I didn't know anything about him but what I read after he signed. It sounded like he had some fire in his belly which we saw and I liked since we hadn't seen that since Holtz. The various shades of red. lol. I liked it. Not great for the kids getting their teeth drilled on national TV, but you know who did that with total regularity? Nick Saban. Lou wasn't exactly shy about that either.

What I will miss the most though re Kelly, is he was VERY GOOD about working the refs every single game. I'd like that in the next coach. Know the rulebook inside out.

I am not sure which is more remarkable: his arrogance or his immaturity.

The more I read about Marcus Freeman, the more I am convinced he is the right choice. The players want him. Recruits want him. Important alumni (both former football players and others) want him. I have nothing against Luke Fickell--he is a fine football coach--but I truly hope Swarbrick doesn't mess this up. As @Golson5 has paraphrased it, let's swing for the fences. Marcus Freeman is the man.
Great recruiters are terrible game day coaches.

I think he's the safest hire of anyone. The only question mark about Freeman is can he run a big time program?

We know he can recruit at an elite level and he can coach the xs and os.

If you bring in Fickell, could be herman 2.0 ; Rhule can coach xs and os but can he run a big time program, recruit with the big dogs? I'd say the data points at Temple and Baylor don't quite give us the definitive answer we need to bring an outsider in.

Bring in Freeman, solidify the next two classes and roll the dice he can handle the pressure.

Let's gooo
As the CEO, he'll be trusted assistants will give him the truth and who run the program for him while he schmoozes with the alumni, deals with Administration, recruits, oversees the defense from the side of course and run to clean program. The guy has an infectious personality he will recruit well. And Notre Dame will eventually guilt was a week players that they need and will win a National Championship and guess what Marcus Freeman gets a statue

Great recruiters are terrible game day coaches.
Not sure how that can be quantified? I looked up several sites on coaches and recruiting and most pages were filled with staff assistants. That said a few HCs made the list and quite highly at that. Saban is apparently a great recruiter, urban is an excellent recruiter, and also Dabo.

I hope ND doesn't choose a Campell or Stoops (KY) type. They have done well to improve to winning programs but it is another thing altogether to go from that situation to elite.

ND should swing for the fences and get someone who has a chance of winning it all.

Freeman -From accounts on this board he is very well liked and is a great recruiter and that is important. Is he a good CEO type? If he has the personality to hire and work well with a good staff (open up the checkbook for the staff) he might be the answer. Add a strong seasoned guy like Cutcliffe to provide wisdom and help mentor for a couple of years. Cutcliffe may want to finish his career as part of something great but doesn't necessarily feel that he needs to be the #1 guy at this point.

Reactions: echowaker
I hope ND doesn't choose a Campell or Stoops (KY) type. They have done well to improve to winning programs but it is another thing altogether to go from that situation to elite.

ND should swing for the fences and get someone who has a chance of winning it all.

Freeman -From accounts on this board he is very well liked and is a great recruiter and that is important. Is he a good CEO type? If he has the personality to hire and work well with a good staff (open up the checkbook for the staff) he might be the answer. Add a strong seasoned guy like Cutcliffe to provide wisdom and help mentor for a couple of years. Cutcliffe may want to finish his career as part of something great but doesn't necessarily feel that he needs to be the #1 guy at this point.
He's being endorsed by many current and former players along with some ND power brokers. Have not heard one public comment in opposition.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Where would he go at this point though? Follow Kelly? From all indications he & Fickell are pretty close so I don't think it's overly unrealistic he stays (at least) for the short term and then perhaps gets the head coaching call next year or the year after somewhere else.
If Freeman leaves, it will be for a HC job. From what I hear, Kelly and Freeman are not really close, and Freeman was not happy at all with the way things went down. Not for Kelly taking the job, but for the way he left the assistants twist in the wind.

The people that want Freeman are screaming for a disaster. It’s sickening.
Ya, because you know better than everyone including the coaches, the players, the alumni, the fans. Saying Freeman is a dime a dozen just illustrates what little you know about football.

Ya, because you know better than everyone including the coaches, the players, the alumni, the fans. Saying Freeman is a dime a dozen just illustrates what little you know about football.
Everyone was screaming for Davies. This guy is Davies, just younger.

Likable people have been getting peter principles since before it was a term.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT