ADVERTISEMENT

Per reports ND has already contacted

I like the bienimey idea? Long overdo. Keep freeman and bienimey would be sweet

Lol you think Freeman is going to stay if he's not offered the HC job? The only way that happens if Fickell is named HC and if that happens Freeman is going to be #1 on Cincy's short list.. Or the OSU DC position perhaps following Brian Kelly to LSU.

Reactions: tbone3114
No to Bienimey

No to Bienemey too ... don't want any more former NFL coaches. Kuharich and Weis were enough.

Sure, Holtz coached in the NFL, but only for a year or so. He was basically a college coach.

No to Bienemey too ... don't want any more former NFL coaches. Kuharich and Weis were enough.

Sure, Holtz coached in the NFL, but only for a year or so. He was basically a college coach.
And not an assistant coach in the NFL

Fickell is my top choice, but only if Freeman is interim until Cincy is done would that work IMO.

Lol you think Freeman is going to stay if he's not offered the HC job? The only way that happens if Fickell is named HC and if that happens Freeman is going to be #1 on Cincy's short list.. Or the OSU DC position perhaps following Brian Kelly to LSU.
I think this is probably correct. Why would Freeman stay to work under Fickell again? It's unpopular but I'd offer Freeman the job for five years. as stated in another post, he would bring in great recruiting classes. I worry that the work in the 22 and 23 classes would fall apart if Freeman leaves. It would be an extremely risky hire but you might catch the next Saban in a bottle at a young age.

Kliff Klingsbury, Luke Fickell, Eric Bienimey (yes you read that right) and will also interview DC Marcus Freeman.
3 of the 4 guys OU is supposedly looking at if they don't get Venables. Would prefer Fickell but assume he would prefer the Irish. You guys will get a good coach. Just like OU will.

Reactions: Kontiki09
I think this is probably correct. Why would Freeman stay to work under Fickell again? It's unpopular but I'd offer Freeman the job for five years. as stated in another post, he would bring in great recruiting classes. I worry that the work in the 22 and 23 classes would fall apart if Freeman leaves. It would be an extremely risky hire but you might catch the next Saban in a bottle at a young age.
I think he's the safest hire of anyone. The only question mark about Freeman is can he run a big time program?

We know he can recruit at an elite level and he can coach the xs and os.

If you bring in Fickell, could be herman 2.0 ; Rhule can coach xs and os but can he run a big time program, recruit with the big dogs? I'd say the data points at Temple and Baylor don't quite give us the definitive answer we need to bring an outsider in.

Bring in Freeman, solidify the next two classes and roll the dice he can handle the pressure.

Let's gooo

I just think Freeman is way too green. And while he left Fickell, he didn't leave to become a head coach. He left to become defensive coordinator at a bigger program.

Watching the Oklahoma recruiting class lose at least a half a dozen recruits so far and others entering the transfer portal, we need to make a hire quickly that can keep as much of our class together as possible.

Fickell and Freeman go way back and are very good friends.

Get freeman. Keep defensive continuity and make Elston DC.

Keep Rees and let him call his offense not Kelly's (this keeps the recruits). Keep Taylor. Bye quinn. Bye del.

Reactions: ND4Real
It's a bit strange that we are going after another Cincinnati coach. Still I think he's the guy for the job.

I'll say it's either Fickell with Freeman staying on as DC, or Freeman. I'm not really convinced anyone outside of those 2 is a tangibly better choice, unless you're getting into the pipe dream candidates. Which a lot of the names thrown around likely are.

Reactions: Kelso86 and NDinNJ
I'll say it's either Fickell with Freeman staying on as DC, or Freeman. I'm not really convinced anyone outside of those 2 is a tangibly better choice, unless you're getting into the pipe dream candidates. Which a lot of the names thrown around likely are.
If we bring in Fickell, I doubt Freeman will stay. I also believe if Freeman leaves the 23 class falls apart.

Reactions: BM16
If we bring in Fickell, I doubt Freeman will stay. I also believe if Freeman leaves the 23 class falls apart.

Where would he go at this point though? Follow Kelly? From all indications he & Fickell are pretty close so I don't think it's overly unrealistic he stays (at least) for the short term and then perhaps gets the head coaching call next year or the year after somewhere else.

Reactions: IrishMike409
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT