ADVERTISEMENT

Per reports ND has already contacted

Lol you think Freeman is going to stay if he's not offered the HC job? The only way that happens if Fickell is named HC and if that happens Freeman is going to be #1 on Cincy's short list.. Or the OSU DC position perhaps following Brian Kelly to LSU.

"Or the OSU DC position perhaps following Brian Kelly to LSU"

Word in Columbus is if Freeman does not get elevated to HC, he is in line to come to Columbus.

Last edited:
Put me down in the Marcus Freeman camp. He is young. He is energetic. He works hard. He seems to have an infectious enthusiasm about him that connects well with young players, in a way that Brian Kelly never did and never will. He has been our best recruiter in 30+ years. Based upon some of the stories I've read, he connects well with the parents of kids he has recruited, and that is huge in being able to recruit. Giving him the title of ND's Head Coach will have some added cachet when he is out on the recruiting trail.

I certainly understand the reticence many have here of hiring a head coach with no head coaching experience. But I think MF knows where his own weaknesses are, and just as he has been a great recruiter of players, he will be able to recruit some great assistants to his staff. If we don't hire Marcus to the HC position, I think he is gone before next year, and we will have made a big mistake. He could be a miss, but I'd rather go down swinging than take a whiff on some of the other candidates being mentioned. The only other guy that possibly makes sense to me is Luke Fickell, but in the end I think MF ends up as the better head coach.
Yeah, okay. And has no head coaching experience. That's like voting for Brian Kelly for POTUS. Stupid.

Anything can happen if a school is willing to pay over $10 million per year.

Fickell to ND and Freeman to Cincy after the playoffs is my best guess. Making the playoff possibly for BOTH schools and the early signing day really complicate matters.

Shows how little you know about ND. Again.
sigh...

EVERYONE knows how you are "honoring" the Navy with near yearly beat downs for cutting you a fat taxpayer funded check during WW II so you didn't have to take out a loan.

Last edited:
Who cares. Freeman is not as good as Elko or Leah. He’s a dime a dozen.
You're trolling or bored? You think so many people around the program would have stepped up in support of Elko or Lea if this happened to them? The answer is no.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of any college program and Freemans recruiting ability outweighs any perceived deficiency he has as an Xs and Os coach compared to Elko or Lea.

That's debateable but you or I are not qualified to judge him on the coaching skill. However you can't refute Freemans success in recruiting.

Reactions: Weisnheimer
You're trolling or bored? You think so many people around the program would have stepped up in support of Elko or Lea if this happened to them? The answer is no.

Recruiting is the lifeblood of any college program and Freemans recruiting ability outweighs any perceived deficiency he has as an Xs and Os coach compared to Elko or Lea.

That's debateable but you or I are not qualified to judge him on the coaching skill. However you can't refute Freemans success in recruiting.
Recruiting is critical. But so is managing, hiring and firing, working the portal, etc.

It is one thing to hire a coordinator who has studied under Saban or Dabo or someone like that for a decade. It is another to hire a coordinator who is one of the youngest in the game. Freeman could well work out, but hiring him would be a higher risk than other options.

I think he will-----whoever is getting the job is going to get it by weeks end and I cannot see Fickell doing that to his team .

If the timing had been different he probably takes it but I don't see how you can do that to your players given the historic run they are on.

Marcus Freeman is going to be the next HC at Notre Dame-----I firmly believe that.

Frankly part of me believes he was brought here to be the next HC at Notre Dame it's just that they figured it would be 2-3 years from now.

No one is ever ready for your first HC job----but I believe you get the job and get ready.
I think this is right. Fickell has positioned Cincy to a historic program level. No way he leaves if they are in the playoffs. ND would have to wait on him....and that isn't going to happen. Freeman turned down LSU, ironically, to come to ND. I think he gets the nod.

Reactions: Kelso86
I think this is right. Fickell has positioned Cincy to a historic program level. No way he leaves if they are in the playoffs. ND would have to wait on him....and that isn't going to happen. Freeman turned down LSU, ironically, to come to ND. I think he gets the nod.
Freeman will be named interim coach so ND can keep its options open. Maybe they make it permanent and maybe not.

That's not trolling. Nobody with any credibility would say Freeman is better than Elko or Clark Leah. He has been with ND for 1 year and our defense was atrocious for half the year. It wasn't until our schedule turned soft that the D started looking better.

Urban Meyer checks off almost all of the characteristics Jack mentioned on what they are looking for. Lol

Reactions: Golson5
One team’s solution is the other team’s problem. And so it goes.

Every post of yours seems to have LOL….
It’s an internet board. We have zero control over who Jack is going to hire. No matter who each of us wants, we have no say in the decision. May as well sit back and have some fun with it. I just hope based on what Jack said, they are going to go with someone that will take the program to that next level.

Lol, and it sounds like Freeman is off the list as well.
It could still be Freeman. There is a chance Swarbrick can't name Freeman as head coach today because doing so the following day would look like a panic move. In a week he can claim he investigated all options and Freeman is the best. Let the white smoke be released, etc.

I would prefer Matt Campbell over Fickle. At Iowa State Campbell was always at a talent disadvantage and still won the Fiesta Bowl. But I am always wary of coaches who had success at UCF like schools because they usually had a distinct talent superiority over the SMUs on their schedule.

Freeman has possibly benefitted from this move more than anyone else. I don't see any way he stays on staff without being the top dog. The carousel is starting to turn, at the very least he has the option of being the highest paid DC in the country if he follows Kelly, but I don't see how he doesn't walk out of this with a lead job somewhere.

Swarbrick said something telling today, any person they place as interim coach will not be considered for the job and it seems like they're not appointing an "interim" in the classical sense. This keeps Freeman on the table, and short of going out and poaching Urban, I think he is the best option.

Last edited:
Freeman has possibly benefitted from this move more than anyone else. I don't see any way he stays on staff without being the top dog. The carousel is starting to turn, at the very least he has the option of being the highest paid DC in the country if he follows Kelly, but I don't see how he doesn't walk out of this with a lead job somewhere.

Swarbrick said something telling today, any person they place as interim coach will not be considered for the job and it seems like they appointing an "interim" in the classical sense. This keeps Freeman on the table, and short of going out and poaching Urban, I think he is the best option.
The best way I can interpret Swarbrick's word salad is...that Freeman is probably the guy...and, a loyal assistant who will stay if Freeman is elevated will be the interim. Otherwise, the entire coaching staff will be looking for other jobs and couldn't afford to stick around for a bowl game if they find one.

in what capacity? the Bears talk with Day isn't settled.
"in what capacity? the Bears talk with Day isn't settled."

DC -- they were not happy with Coombs as a DC, so much so they layered his authority during the season.

Yes, if Day leaves, that could change the whole landscape as well.

"in what capacity? the Bears talk with Day isn't settled."

DC -- they were not happy with Coombs as a DC, so much so they layered his authority during the season.

Yes, if Day leaves, that could change the whole landscape as well.
Heard about Day - Bears this AM. Is it picking up steam?

It could still be Freeman. There is a chance Swarbrick can't name Freeman as head coach today because doing so the following day would look like a panic move. In a week he can claim he investigated all options and Freeman is the best. Let the white smoke be released, etc.
The proable reason for not naming an interim is that they expect to hve the new coach very soon. That doesn't rule out Freemen, although I suspect he is lower on the list than Fickle and Campbell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT