ADVERTISEMENT

Per reports ND has already contacted

If we bring in Fickell, I doubt Freeman will stay. I also believe if Freeman leaves the 23 class falls apart
Anything bad happens for the Irish you are happy. You are not a Irish fan. You have never been to a Notre Dame game (like you said) unless it was at BC.
Go away troll. The 23 class is not going to fall apart.
Worry about your hero Phil J. and BC.

Anything bad happens for the Irish you are happy. You are not a Irish fan. You have never been to a Notre Dame game (like you said) unless it was at BC.
Not taking sides but why is 99’s comments considered trolling to you?

he believes as many others if Freeman also departs that the recruit class may see a large exodus. That’s not really a crazy take. OU has 6 decommitts in 24 hours, with a few other already in the transfer portal and a handful of recruits say they’re still committed but weighing their options. That is devastating for OU.

he believes as many others if Freeman also departs that the recruit class may see a large exodus. That’s not really a crazy take. OU has 6 decommitts in 24 hours, with a few other already in the transfer portal and a handful of recruits say they’re still committed but weighing their options. That is devastating for OU.
Everything is going to be fine. The Irish are going to keep Freeman and the class won't fall apart. Great things ahead for the Irish.
Irishforlife9999 has been banned about 10 times for bashing ND. I am not banning him. The owners of this site who no more about Notre Dame than any of us are the ones banning him. They know he is a troll.

Boy, Savvvy....errrrr I mean Bodi. You sure are in a sour mood tonight. Been here since the days of Agassi, and will be here well after your boy Kelly and Rees are gone.

Bodi's absolute disdain for me will forgo any logic.

Hopefully Quinn, Del and Polian
It's reported that Kelly is taking Rees, but nothing concrete. I was fine with Rees staying, but if he goes there are plenty of OC's to be hired. I wouldn't be devastated if Rees is gone. Now if Freeman is gone, that's another story. I think that would really hurt.

Reactions: jongon
As long as it is on live TV, that'll be fine.

At first I thought, "Kingsbury? Why would he leave a successful NFL gig?" But if ND is going to throw LSU money at the next coach ($12 million/year), maybe it is possible.
As long as it doesn’t take our next coach 10 years to beat our rival, I’ll be good with that.

Last edited:
I honestly don't get the Freeman hype for HC - he's literally only been coaching for five years. I sincerely hope ND is realistic in the search for a new head coach.

Marcus Freeman, Notre Dame defensive coordinator​

Head coaching record: N/A
Notable jobs: Cincinnati defensive coordinator (2017-20), Notre Dame defensive coordinator (2021-pressent)

I personally think Clark Lea was the best DC we ever had. Freeman the best recruiter. A great coach eventually builds a great program and makes due with the talent he has. Top recruits without a great coach will only yield short term success. Hiring a 1st time HC is a crapshoot. Top recruits are also unproven. Some are busts or overrated. Some 3 stars when developed become 5 stars. I am not saying Freeman wouldnt do a great job but like the poster said above where has ND had success v failure in past coaching hires? Its obvious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ara64
Why would ND go after any coach with no head coaching experience? I've liked Fickell from the first time I saw him. I think he would be an awesome hire on the heels of BK. I think ND dances on without missing a step. You got to go after the best coach and not worry about the current recruiting class. I think ND has an outside chance of keeping Mike Elston if ND hires the right man. He will probably follow BK unfortunately. ND shouldn't go bowling this year. Teams that just lose their HC seldom win. Stay home and work with the team through this major shock. I wouldn't let BK coach the team if the do go. Try out Freeman and see how he does.

Last edited:
Jack did say last summer that he would hire a winning coach when BK retires someday. ND needs a winning head coach and I expect Father Ted and Jack will find one. I don't think BK's departure surprised ND. They responded to quickly after the news. Smart move on the part of ND leadership. OH! Thanks BK for your hard work. I appreciate it; now get your lard a** out of here. ND has work too do. You yellow belly turncoat.

Why would ND go after any coach with no head coaching experience? I've liked Fickell from the first time I saw him. I think he would be an awesome hire on the heels of BK. I think ND dances on without missing a step. You got to go after the best coach and not worry about the current recruiting class. I think ND has an outside chance of keeping Mike Elston if ND hires the right man. He will probably follow BK unfortunately. ND shouldn't go bowling this year. Teams that just lose their HC seldom win. Stay home and work with the team through this major shock. I wouldn't let BK coach the team if the do go. Try out Freeman and see how he does.

ND shouldn't go bowling ?

You're drunk right ?

How do you explain that decision to all the seniors that have busted their ass to get us here ?

Beyond that-----our highly rated recruiting class will disappear .

What if Fickell turns ND down?
I think he will-----whoever is getting the job is going to get it by weeks end and I cannot see Fickell doing that to his team .

If the timing had been different he probably takes it but I don't see how you can do that to your players given the historic run they are on.

Marcus Freeman is going to be the next HC at Notre Dame-----I firmly believe that.

Frankly part of me believes he was brought here to be the next HC at Notre Dame it's just that they figured it would be 2-3 years from now.

No one is ever ready for your first HC job----but I believe you get the job and get ready.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
Boy, Savvvy....errrrr I mean Bodi. You sure are in a sour mood tonight. Been here since the days of Agassi, and will be here well after your boy Kelly and Rees are gone.
They’re not the same guy. Please stop inferring that, it damages boards. Put the theory to bed.

Lol you think Freeman is going to stay if he's not offered the HC job? The only way that happens if Fickell is named HC and if that happens Freeman is going to be #1 on Cincy's short list.. Or the OSU DC position perhaps following Brian Kelly to LSU.
Who cares. Freeman is not as good as Elko or Leah. He’s a dime a dozen.

• Haha
Reactions: Weisnheimer
The Dallas Cowboys wasted ten years on someone who was a 'brilliant coordinator' and had several teams 'panting' to hire him. Worked out real well did it not?
Freeman has only been a coach of any kind for FIVE YEARS.

Jack did say last summer that he would hire a winning coach when BK retires someday. ND needs a winning head coach and I expect Father Ted and Jack will find one. I don't think BK's departure surprised ND. They responded to quickly after the news. Smart move on the part of ND leadership. OH! Thanks BK for your hard work. I appreciate it; now get your lard a** out of here. ND has work too do. You yellow belly turncoat.
Winning coach translates to Meyer, Dabo, Saban. All winners with multiple championships. Who will it be?

Fickell Head Coach takes over after the playoffs. Freeman holds the fort until then, coaches the bowl game and is named associate head coach. I'd like to see us keep Rees as OC. Polian to recruiting coordinator to replace Elston who will most likely leave with Kelly.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Put me down in the Marcus Freeman camp. He is young. He is energetic. He works hard. He seems to have an infectious enthusiasm about him that connects well with young players, in a way that Brian Kelly never did and never will. He has been our best recruiter in 30+ years. Based upon some of the stories I've read, he connects well with the parents of kids he has recruited, and that is huge in being able to recruit. Giving him the title of ND's Head Coach will have some added cachet when he is out on the recruiting trail.

I certainly understand the reticence many have here of hiring a head coach with no head coaching experience. But I think MF knows where his own weaknesses are, and just as he has been a great recruiter of players, he will be able to recruit some great assistants to his staff. If we don't hire Marcus to the HC position, I think he is gone before next year, and we will have made a big mistake. He could be a miss, but I'd rather go down swinging than take a whiff on some of the other candidates being mentioned. The only other guy that possibly makes sense to me is Luke Fickell, but in the end I think MF ends up as the better head coach.

Reactions: DublinND and stpat
Fickell Head Coach takes over after the playoffs. Freeman holds the fort until then, coaches the bowl game and is named associate head coach. I'd like to see us keep Rees as OC. Polian to recruiting coordinator to replace Elston who will most likely leave with Kelly.
No sane new head coach is retaining Tommy Rees who as far as we can tell is a mouthpiece for BK … they come as a pair, master and apprentice. For the record I’m a Rees fan liked him as a QB and a coach but he’s Kelly’s prized possession … it was like BK was on a mission to prove to media and fans that Tommy to OC was a legit promotion and never missed an opportunity to spar about it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT