ADVERTISEMENT

Per reports ND has already contacted

I would prefer Matt Campbell over Fickle. At Iowa State Campbell was always at a talent disadvantage and still won the Fiesta Bowl. But I am always wary of coaches who had success at UCF like schools because they usually had a distinct talent superiority over the SMUs on their schedule.
Campbell went 7-5 with top 10 talent.

• Sad
Reactions: tbonesays
And both of those places could be open if Day is offered/accepts the Bears. I'm assuming he'd choose OSU between the 2 if it came to that.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
This was more Kelly’s show than Rees by far but I don’t agree with the board’s disdain for Rees.

I can only speak for myself about Rees. Disdain isn't what I felt toward Rees, in fact, I gave him kudos on occasions where he warranted it.

Also, I am not so disheartened by BKs departure because among not beating better teams except for once when injuries certainly helped, (Clemson) he had a way of hen-pecking his favorites - both players and coaches ie, Rees, Book, Rees again, and probably White and that MLB from Chicago (was it Myles somebody?) from about 3-5 yrs ago and that started 3 years, the same thing as White did and does, which for me showed zero football instincts and ability. True to the Kelly handbook, White will probably be Kelly's LB coach in a couple years. then his DC, ala, Rees progression.

Heard about Day - Bears this AM. Is it picking up steam?
"Heard about Day - Bears this AM. Is it picking up steam?"

Not sure if it picking steam, but, there appears to be a lot of discussions going on -- and I am sure OSU will ante up some $$$ to keep as well.

Campbell would be a good hire for Nebraska next year.
Funny you mention Nebraska - their record doesn't show it but, they're, IMO, poised to challenge for the BIG title next year. They are the one team I can see making the biggest strides in CFB from this year to next.

I would be very surprised if they make a move on their HC.

Funny you mention Nebraska - their record doesn't show it but, they're, IMO, poised to challenge for the BIG title next year. They are the one team I can see making the biggest strides in CFB from this year to next.

I would be very surprised if they make a move on their HC.
Nebraska is about the 35th best team in a lot of computer power indices. I agree they could win 9 next year with a QB who isn't a turnover machine stuck on 11.

Reactions: Irish Grandeur
Freeman will be named interim coach so ND can keep its options open. Maybe they make it permanent and maybe not.

I think I heard Swarbrick say that if it comes to a point where it's determined that an Interim HC is needed, they will not be in the running for HC.

That's not trolling. Nobody with any credibility would say Freeman is better than Elko or Clark Leah. He has been with ND for 1 year and our defense was atrocious for half the year. It wasn't until our schedule turned soft that the D started looking better.

It's not that black and white where a schedule turned soft and that's why ND defense looked better.

Playing for a year together, you hopefully get better. We did. Coaching a new group of players, you hopefully come together and get better. We did. The players want to play for him, and. They did and did it well. They also developed well. They were deep positionally because of that development.

I look at it as he is a very fast learner as the learning curve goes. We have a very good defense. He was at the head of the defense. It would be stupid to not recognize this.

I think I heard Swarbrick say that if it comes to a point where it's determined that an Interim HC is needed, they will not be in the running for HC.
I don't get that. You have a good chance at making the playoff. Just having an interim HC would surely help with getting prepared. Pay Freeman or some other assistant $100K bonus until the head coach is named.

I don't get that. You have a good chance at making the playoff. Just having an interim HC would surely help with getting prepared. Pay Freeman or some other assistant $100K bonus until the head coach is named.

I was surprised the questioners didn't follow up on that distinction said by Swarbrick. What is Swarbrick's reason for that? I don't get it either.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
“No, you want to reserve rivalry status for an overmatched service academy that you can defeat 43 times in a row.”

Such uninformed drivel. Navy has been down in the past few but to call them an “overmatched service academy” as if it’s been a cakewalk for us, or anyone else that’s played them for that matter, for the majority of the 2000s is dumb. Since ‘03, they’ve had two 11 win seasons, two 10 win seasons, four 9 win seasons & five 8 win seasons, beating plenty of P5 programs (including ND three times) and scaring the living shit out of the so called big boys along the way. They’ve been ranked here and there too. You wouldn’t be so flippant if you played them every year. You’d know they’re a pain in the ass to play.

Reactions: tbonesays
I think this is probably correct. Why would Freeman stay to work under Fickell again? It's unpopular but I'd offer Freeman the job for five years. as stated in another post, he would bring in great recruiting classes. I worry that the work in the 22 and 23 classes would fall apart if Freeman leaves. It would be an extremely risky hire but you might catch the next Saban in a bottle at a young age.
FREEMAN will succeed!!!! not risky at all... plus Rees will stay ... win win!!!

Jack did say last summer that he would hire a winning coach when BK retires someday. ND needs a winning head coach and I expect Father Ted and Jack will find one. I don't think BK's departure surprised ND. They responded to quickly after the news. Smart move on the part of ND leadership. OH! Thanks BK for your hard work. I appreciate it; now get your lard a** out of here. ND has work too do. You yellow belly turncoat.
I know you love Notre Dame as much as the rest of us, but Father Ted has been dead for six years. So unless he is trying to get Rockne, Leahy, or even Ara to come back, I wouldn't count on much help from him. The current president is Father John L. Jenkins.

You watch , it's going to be someone no one is even thinking of.
I also would not be surprised if it takes a lot longer than anyone anticipates. I don't really think ND cares if this recruiting class falls apart or if every single one of Kelly's best assistants leave town. For better or worse, ND takes the long view.

Reactions: tkirish
It Ohio St, Georgia, and Oklahoma are not?

Didn't seem to bother Ohio St , Oklahoma or Clemson.

They did just fine with a 1st year HC.

Common thread----those guys were there----knew the ins and outs of the place----players liked them and trusted them-----and they were aggressive recruiters.

Reactions: Golson5
Didn't seem to bother Ohio St , Oklahoma or Clemson.

They did just fine with a 1st year HC.

Common thread----those guys were there----knew the ins and outs of the place----players liked them and trusted them-----and they were aggressive recruiters.
Ohio State is declining. Riley played nobody good and lost to Kansas State 3 years in a row. Dabo is 1 in a million.

It took Kelly 9 years to learn how to recruit.
I have always felt that even with all his experience, Brian Kelly was in over his head when he took the Notre Dame job. He was wildly inconsistent his first two seasons before making a run for the NC. Then back to two years of inconsistency before a good run in 2015 followed by the crash of 2016. It seems it was only when he took a step back and reassessed everything before the 2017 season that he figured it out.

Reactions: Weisnheimer
I have always felt that even with all his experience, Brian Kelly was in over his head when he took the Notre Dame job. He was wildly inconsistent his first two seasons before making a run for the NC. Then back to two years of inconsistency before a good run in 2015 followed by the crash of 2016. It seems it was only when he took a step back and reassessed everything before the 2017 season that he figured it out.
11 and ONE

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT