ADVERTISEMENT

ND vs Stanford Game Thread

I was in the middle of writing a long response, but erased it because nobody wants to hear me drone on and on. I don't think there is anything wrong with criticizing the play calling or coaching decisions. I just think it gets really old for people to harp on literally every single play that doesn't work.

I wonder what it would have been like to have this board back when Ara Parseghian was coach and he lost to USC almost every year and lost to Purdue about every other year -- at a time when they were pretty much the only good teams on the schedule.
I agree and the depth of their analysis is “it didn’t work”. Its absurd.

Reactions: Pennick4
Kelly needs to start politicking like he’s fighting for his job, to get this team in the playoff. This is his best chance at winning a title.

I’d rather have two good QB’s and believe Coan would start.
Do you want the future of the program to consider a transfer? I dont. Pyne for sure would transfer.

Buchner is miles above Coan in talent. Hes gotta be the guy next year. No way Coan would start

Reactions: NDinNJ
Do you want the future of the program to consider a transfer? I dont. Pyne for sure would transfer.

Buchner is miles above Coan in talent. Hes gotta be the guy next year. No way Coan would start
The kids a true freshman who didn’t play his senior year in HS. I think we need to see how he develops over the next year.

If he transfers because he isn’t starting then that would be ridiculous. He would still presumably have two years as the number one guy in 23 and 24. Miles above in talent? In what way? I think Coan is an above average QB and would be in his sixth year. I have plenty of questions about Buchner running the full offense. That’s not to say I think he’s bad or average even. I just would love to have Coan back.

The kids a true freshman who didn’t play his senior year in HS. I think we need to see how he develops over the next year.
Hes a stud and hes been developing this year. And he'll have 10 months now to develop.

Hes the guy and the future of the program. There's no doubt about it

There should be a qualifying game for the playoffs if 2 teams have proven they are equally deserving. Why wasn't this idea ever considered? If Okla State wins out why couldn't we play them instead of all the nonsense of which team deserves to be in? The team that wins on the field deserves to be in. Period! It's only 1 more game.

If he transfers because he isn’t starting then that would be ridiculous. He would still presumably have two years as the number one guy in 23 and 24. Miles above in talent? In what way? I think Coan is an above average QB and would be in his sixth year. I have plenty of questions about Buchner running the full offense. That’s not to say I think he’s bad or average even. I just would love to have Coan back.
Buchner in the run game is beyond miles above Coan. Himself and helping our backs

Buchner has a stronger arm.

Buchner is better throwing on the run.

The rpo game will be crazy good next year with a full yearvof Buchner

Buchner is the future. Coan is solid. Buchner is a talent you can win playoff games with.

There should be a qualifying game for the playoffs if 2 teams have proven they are equally deserving. Why wasn't this idea ever considered? If Okla State wins out why couldn't we play them instead of all the nonsense of which team deserves to be in? The team that wins on the field deserves to be in. Period! It's only 1 more game.
And if Bama beats GA, then what? Do we have 2 play-in games. Where does it end? The only thing that’s going to fix this is expansion to 8 teams.

Reactions: Golson5
Buchner in the run game is beyond miles above Coan. Himself and helping our backs

Buchner has a stronger arm.

Buchner is better throwing on the run.

The rpo game will be crazy good next year with a full yearvof Buchner

Buchner is the future. Coan is solid. Buchner is a talent you can win playoff games with.
So you don’t want Coan back as a #2 quarterback?

They already would have played 1 more game. Wouldnt be fair to them. They risk injury next week and we are sitting

So you don’t want Coan back as a #2 quarterback back?
Thats not fair to him first of all

Second, you dont want Buchner looking over his shoulder.

Third, your running 2 totally different offenses then

Fourth, Pyne would probably transfer

If Bama beats Ga. then they are in and so is Ga. I meant if there was an opening for the 4th spot and it was between #5 and #6 who both had 1 loss seasons.

If Bama beats Ga. then they are in and so is Ga. I meant if there was an opening for the 4th spot and it was between #5 and #6 who both had 1 loss seasons.
Why does Bama get a pass, or GA for that matter? They both would have 1 loss seasons along with ND and OSU.

Thats not fair to him first of all

Second, you dont want Buchner looking over his shoulder.

Third, your running 2 totally different offenses then

Fourth, Pyne would probably transfer
Its Coan’s choice. What do you mean it wouldn’t be fair to him? He comes back or he doesn’t. If Pyne or Buchner transfer just because Coan comes back, then they are selfish cowards, in particular Buchner in that instance. They both have 2 more years after Coan.

Its not two totally different offenses. We can do what we’re doing now.

If Buchner somehow beats out Coan, great. Same thing if not. Two solid QB’s. I want them both.

Coan is a far better QB. !

And he would continue to be so next year !

Because they are already in the top 4. I understand your logic and I agree the playoff should be expanded. All I am saying is in the mean time it would be easy to slip in 1 more game if the situation presented itself. I mean ND could be biased against because of past playoff performances. We all know our team was far from perfect but there is little to no D played in the Big 12 so Okla State would look quite different against a team with a legit D.

Its Coan’s choice. What do you mean it wouldn’t be fair to him? He comes back or he doesn’t. If Pyne or Buchner transfer just because Coan comes back, then they are selfish cowards, in particular Buchner in that instance. They both have 2 more years after Coan.

Its not two totally different offenses. We can do what we’re doing now.

If Buchner somehow beats out Coan, great. Same thing if not. Two solid QB’s. I want them both.
Nah. Its Buchners time next year. You dont bring Coan back to hold a clipboard and have the offense being totally different in practice between 1st and 2nd strings.

We need to commit to Buchner and that style of offense.

Your calling Mayfield, Murray, Fields, Burrow cowards then.

Nah. Its Buchners time next year. You dont bring Coan back to hold a clipboard and have the offense being totally different in practice between 1st and 2nd strings.

We need to commit to Buchner and that style of offense.

Your calling Mayfield, Murray, Fields, Burrow cowards then.
Did those guys bail after one year when they were slated to be the clear starter in year 3, and going to be playing in year 2 after playing a lot in year 1?

I simply asked if Coan had another year. There’s no guarantee that Buchner would be the better player next year. You’re basing your opinion off of basically nothing other than Buchner is a much better runner.

Don’t bring him back to hold a clipboard? Lol Coan is the better QB, evidenced by the fact that he was the starter all year. There’s no controversy.

Did those guys bail after one year when they were slated to be the clear starter in year 3, and going to be playing in year 2 after playing a lot in year 1?

I simply asked if Coan had another year. There’s no guarantee that Buchner would be the better player next year. You’re basing your opinion off of basically nothing other than Buchner is a much better runner.

Don’t bring him back to hold a clipboard? Lol Coan is the better QB, evidenced by the fact that he was the starter all year. There’s no controversy.
Yes. Justin Fields. And Baker would have been starter and Kyler but both still transfered. Thia notion that if you transfer, you are a coward is outdated and dumb

And it would be a huge controversy next year. Elite qbs get better and you dont sit them for long like the old days. Or you will lose them. Coan is Coan. He is who he is. Buchners upside is huge. You don't keep that on the bench for a guy whobisnt going to play in the NFL. Thats just being stupid

Yes. Justin Fields. And Baker would have been starter and Kyler but both still transfered. Thia notion that if you transfer, you are a coward is outdated and dumb

And it would be a huge controversy next year. Elite qbs get better and you dont sit them for long like the old days. Or you will lose them. Coan is Coan. He is who he is. Buchners upside is huge. You don't keep that on the bench for a guy whobisnt going to play in the NFL. Thats just being stupid

I looked at just one of your examples…Fields. Jake Fromm still had one whole year of eligibility left more than Coan, so Fields would have potentially had to sit two years (Fromm ended up leaving early) Coan would definitely be gone after 2022 in this instance and Buchner still played a lot his Freshman year and would play some his sophomore. That’s not the same thing. I’m not going to look at your other examples. I made it clear that it would be selfish and cowardly to transfer just because Coan came back…not just transferring for playing time. If Buchner couldn’t handle being #2 while still playing and then having two years as the clear starter then my comment stands.

If Coan is better than Buchner, you play Coan. Doesn’t matter if Coan is an NFL guy or not. Maybe Buchner beats him out, either way, if I had my choice and Coan wanted to come back, then I want Coan on the team. Simple as that.

I looked at just one of your examples…Fields. Jake Fromm still had one whole year of eligibility left more than Coan, so Fields would have potentially had to sit two years (Fromm ended up leaving early) Coan would definitely be gone after 2022 in this instance and Buchner still played a lot his Freshman year and would play some his sophomore. That’s not the same thing. I’m not going to look at your other examples. I made it clear that it would be selfish and cowardly to transfer just because Coan came back…not just transferring for playing time. If Buchner couldn’t handle being #2 while still playing and then having two years as the clear starter then my comment stands.

If Coan is better than Buchner, you play Coan. Doesn’t matter if Coan is an NFL guy or not. Maybe Buchner beats him out, either way, if I had my choice and Coan wanted to come back, then I want Coan on the team. Simple as that.
My comment stands as well, your position on transferring is stupid and outdated.

And Ga likely cost themselves a chance at a shot at 2 NCs by sticking with Fromm over Fields. Big mistake

If people really do believe we're a QB away from winning it, you go with the guy with more upside over the 6th year guy who has not much room for improvement.

Next year its all Buchner and I think Kelly and Rees would let Jack know that as well

My comment stands as well, your position on transferring is stupid and outdated.

And Ga likely cost themselves a chance at a shot at 2 NCs by sticking with Fromm over Fields. Big mistake

If people really do believe we're a QB away from winning it, you go with the guy with more upside over the 6th year guy who has not much room for improvement.

Next year its all Buchner and I think Kelly and Rees would let Jack know that as well
My position on transferring is outdated? Why do you say that? What is my position on transferring?

Calling a player a coward for transferring when the starter comes back
I don’t think a player is a coward for transferring when a starter comes back. Where did I say that?

I was specifically referring to the Coan/Buchner situation. That’s it. I even highlighted the difference between Fields/Fromm and Coan/Buchner. I even said “not just transferring for playing time”…meaning I don’t necessarily have a problem if someone wants to transfer for playing time. Just in this very specific instance I would think it absurd for Buchner to transfer just because Coan came back.

You bring up how GA maybe cost themselves 2 titles by not going with Fields. That’s conjecture and has nothing to do with Coan and Buchner.

You can think Buchner is better for next year. That’s fine. But the fact is that Coan started the whole year and would provide value IF he wanted to come back. That’s it. That’s all I was getting at.

Nice win tonight for ND.

Hes a stud and hes been developing this year. And he'll have 10 months now to develop.

Hes the guy and the future of the program. There's no doubt about it
I've never been a fan of the way Kelly handles his quarterbacks. I'm sure he is already thinking Buchner is going to get himself injured running like that, so the first thing we'll do is get him to avoid taking unnecessary risks. Then he'll add all sorts of other responsibilities to his plate, and before you know it, a once confident athlete will be doubting himself and thinking about his every move, and this fan base will be calling for his replacement

I don’t think a player is a coward for transferring when a starter comes back. Where did I say that?

I was specifically referring to the Coan/Buchner situation. That’s it. I even highlighted the difference between Fields/Fromm and Coan/Buchner. I even said “not just transferring for playing time”…meaning I don’t necessarily have a problem if someone wants to transfer for playing time. Just in this very specific instance I would think it absurd for Buchner to transfer just because Coan came back.

You bring up how GA maybe cost themselves 2 titles by not going with Fields. That’s conjecture and has nothing to do with Coan and Buchner.

You can think Buchner is better for next year. That’s fine. But the fact is that Coan started the whole year and would provide value IF he wanted to come back. That’s it. That’s all I was getting at.

Nice win tonight for ND.
You literally said "I made it clear that it would be selfish and cowardly to transfer because Coan came back"

So that's where you said it. You actually double downed on it.

Good win. Wish the margin was a little more though.

It's going to be a stressful next 8 days

i think BK played it like a chess master. Up big, backups in. Shaw playing starters.. Scores. BK to just remind the committee that he could put up 100 puts the starters back in and one minute later keeps the margin at +30.

You literally said "I made it clear that it would be selfish and cowardly to transfer because Coan came back"

So that's where you said it. You actually double downed on it.
Yes, in that case I think that’s being a pansy. Its called nuance. I didn’t say ALL players who transfer for playing time are cowards. Didn’t say ANYONE who transfers for more playing time is a coward. That should be abundantly clear. Why would I highlight the difference between Fromm/Fields and Buchner/Coan and say that’s not the same thing? Because its nuanced.

If Buchner transfers ONLY because Coan comes back, yeah that would be pathetic in my opinion.

Yes, in that case I think that’s being a pansy. Its called nuance. I didn’t say ALL players who transfer for playing time are cowards. Didn’t say ANYONE who transfers for more playing time is a coward. That should be abundantly clear. Why would I highlight the difference between Fromm/Fields and Buchner/Coan and say that’s not the same thing? Because its nuanced.

If Buchner transfers ONLY because Coan comes back, yeah that would be pathetic in my opinion.
Oh so it only is cowardly if Buchner does it. And he's the one who is a pansy, not any of the other guys who did it or have done it over the past 100 years

That makes sense, said no one.

Oh so it only is cowardly if Buchner does it. And he's the one who is a pansy, not any of the other guys who did it or have done it over the past 100 years

That makes sense, said no one.
Exactly, because of nuance. If Buchner had to wait two more years and wasn’t going to be getting any playing time, then I wouldn’t say that. Again, its nuanced.

Also its pretty disingenuous how you just completely ignore how I explicitly reference how I didn’t say that “all” or “anyone” who transfers for playing time is a coward and then you say oh so its only Buchner and not anyone else over 100 years.

Exactly, because of nuance. If Buchner had to wait two more years and wasn’t going to be getting any playing time, then I wouldn’t say that. Again, its nuanced.
Because theres plenty of examples of players leaving. So are you saying any playwr that has transferred in the same sutuation as Buchner is a coward and pathetic.

Sounds like you.

Because theres plenty of examples of players leaving. So are you saying any playwr that has transferred in the same sutuation as Buchner is a coward and pathetic.

Sounds like you.
I also added the stipulation “just because Coan came back.” Its a very specific scenario I’m talking about. True sophomore, who didn’t play his senior year of high school, who plays a lot his true freshman and true sophomore year (maybe even eventually starts), will start his junior and senior years, against a good sixth year QB coming back. I also said it was selfish (entitled — so he would just EXPECT to start his true sophomore year at ND? No thanks).

I like how you insinuate that I’m a coward and pathetic when you’re the one who keeps changing the argument and being disingenuous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT