ADVERTISEMENT

ND vs OSU game thread

We can say all we want about the coaches. But it came down to a missed FG and a missed pick. DJ grabs that and we are all talking about how great Golden, Parker and MF played this.
No we would be talking about great win, but we have to coach better in crucial moments … a win wouldn’t mask the moronic coaching blunders in all the big moment s

Tough loss, but the team played well. It literally came down to inches. Go Irish!!

8” from victory. They made the plays at the end. We didn’t. Could have went either way. Needed one more play. One more first down.

Reactions: GDFan
Would have been nice on that last series just run Estime. No RPO. No screen. Just clock and OL and take your chances
They had enough timeouts to get the ball back with the same amount of time left. In college when you have the ball with 1+ minute left and the clock stops on incomplete and first down there's plenty of time to drive the ball.

on the other hand if ND simply gets a single first down the game is over (in my uneducated opinion, i would try for the first down to win the game in that situation, especially when the opposition has the type of weapons OSU does in the passing game)

I think a big overlooked mistake was taking the 5 yard delay of game penalty before the punt on 4th down on NDs final offensive drive. 5 yards doesn't seem like much but another 5 yards of better defensive field position could have made the difference in this one

Reactions: notredame79
They had enough timeouts to get the ball back with the same amount of time left. In college when you have the ball with 1+ minute left and the clock stops on incomplete and first down there's plenty of time to drive the ball.

on the other hand if ND simply gets a single first down the game is over (in my uneducated opinion, i would try for the first down to win the game in that situation, especially when the opposition has the type of weapons OSU does in the passing game)

I think a big overlooked mistake was taking the 5 yard penalty before the punt on 4th down on NDs final offensive drive. 5 yards doesn't seem like much but another 5 yards of better defensive field position could have made the difference in this one

OSU had almost no chance to stop the run in the 2nd half. We were killing them at the point of attack

Reactions: ftnfan62
Looking back. The oppty was there. After Harman got the first. Just run Estime 3 times. Even if you don’t get it, you turn it over with little time or not TO. They would have taken the 10 sec run off and that’s game. MF will learn.

Looking back. The oppty was there. After Harman got the first. Just run Estime 3 times. Even if you don’t get it, you turn it over with little time or not TO. They would have taken the 10 sec run off and that’s game. MF will learn.

This is his OC calling the plays, but yes, Freeman is ultimately responsible

I think a big overlooked mistake was taking the 5 yard delay of game penalty before the punt on 4th down on NDs final offensive drive. 5 yards doesn't seem like much but another 5 yards of better defensive field position could have made the difference in this one
One of many coaching blunders

Reactions: chaseball
Thing I didn’t get is that the pressures were actually starting to work and on the one down you shouldn’t get away from it you get away from it. I didn’t hate the drop 8. But if you’re gonna pressure why stop on the 3rd and 19

This is his OC calling the plays, but yes, Freeman is ultimately responsible
Agree. I think as a coach you learn at the very end, you gotta be the ultimate. I will say it was an excellent play by the OSU guy. That play was open for a long run if Hartman gets it over him.

Reactions: GDFan
Not going 11-1 with this schedule. I just don’t see it.
We just went toe to toe with one of the best teams in the country for 4 quarters. Every opponent looks beatable after this performance.

Cleaning up coaching mistakes is fixable in season .. getting run off the field vs OSU would not have been an easy fix this season

We just went toe to toe with one of the best teams in the country for 4 quarters. Every opponent looks beatable after this performance.

Cleaning up coaching mistakes is fixable in season .. getting run off the field vs OSU would not have been an easy fix this season

We’re just not going undefeated from here on out in my opinion. Even if we had won tonight, one of Duke, Louisville, USC or Clemson was going to get us. It’s just too hard to not have a letdown somewhere in there.

No they didn’t, if it’s a run play instead of an incomplete pass 40 seconds gets used OR OSU has to use a timeout

Either way ND wins !

No they didn’t, if it’s a run play instead of an incomplete pass 40 seconds gets used OR OSU has to use a timeout

Either way ND wins !
OSU uses timeout and gets the ball back with same amount of time.

Driving the ball with 1+ minute left in college football is plenty for hurry up offense, spikes, first downs, etc.

I liked the idea of the coaches trying to run their best calls/plays for a first down (even if it meant attempting a pass) to try to win with a first down instead of giving the ball back to OSU and their plethora of offensive 5-star all americans

OSU uses timeout and gets the ball back with same amount of time.

Driving the ball with 1+ minute left in college football is plenty for hurry up offense, spikes, first downs, etc.

I liked the idea of the coaches trying to run their best calls/plays for a first down (even if it meant attempting a pass) to try to win with a first down instead of giving the ball back to OSU and their plethora of offensive 5-star all americans
You are dead wrong !

If ND runs the ball instead of an incomplete pass and OSU calls a TO, then they have no more timeouts left at the end of the game and the 10 second runoff for the IG ends the game.

You need to take a refresher course in football

You are dead wrong !

If ND runs the ball instead of an incomplete pass and OSU calls a TO, then they have no more timeouts left at the end of the game and the 10 second runoff for the IG ends the game.

You need to take a refresher course in football
OSU has some monsters on offense. Giving them the ball back with over a minute left gives them a really good chance to run their hurry up and win the game. An ND first down (10 yards) wins ND the game. You run your best plays there even if there's a pass that risks stopping the clock.

OSU runs their hurry up offense entirely differently with no timeouts left so it is hard to say with hindsight that ND loses because they left OSU with a timeout

Reactions: tbone3114
OSU has some monsters on offense. Giving them the ball back with over a minute left gives them a really good chance to run their hurry up and win the game. An ND first down (10 yards) wins ND the game. You run your best plays there even if there's a pass that risks stopping the clock.

OSU runs their hurry up offense entirely differently with no timeouts left so it is hard to say with hindsight that ND loses because they left OSU with a timeout
Are you really that obtuse ?

If instead of an incomplete pass we ran the ball, 40 seconds would have come off the clock.

That means that OSU has 1st and 10 from their own 35 with only 44 Seconds left

Do the math, OSU runs out of time when they’re on the ND 32 yard line after the Brown miss.

If they take the TO, then they wouldn’t have any more TO’s and they would be forced to take the 10 second runoff on the IG penalty at the 15 second mark, leaving them only 5 seconds From ND’s 22 Yard line. Game ends with the completion to the ND 1 yard line.

How many times do I have to explain the two possible scenarios to you ?

Are you really that obtuse ?

If instead of an incomplete pass we ran the ball, 40 seconds would have come off the clock.

That means that OSU has 1st and 10 from their own 35 with only 44 Seconds left

Do the math, OSU runs out of time when they’re on the ND 32 yard line after the Brown miss.

If they take the TO, then they wouldn’t have any more TO’s and they would be forced to take the 10 second runoff on the IG penalty at the 15 second mark, leaving them only 5 seconds From ND’s 22 Yard line. Game ends with the completion to the ND 1 yard line.

How many times do I have to explain the two possible scenarios to you ?
You don't know that there's going to be a 10 second run off though .. you are using hindsight that the coaches didn't have at the time

You try to get the first down and win the game and take the ball out of OSUs hands entirely. Whether it's 45 seconds, 60 seconds, 90 seconds I agree with MFs call to try to win the game with a first down and keep the ball out of OSUs hands entirely to prevent a last minute hurry up offense.

Reactions: tbone3114
This is why F- is the worst at ranking teams

Alabama over Texas.
Would have been nice on that last series just run Estime. No RPO. No screen. Just clock and OL and take your chances

You don't know that there's going to be a 10 second run off though .. you are using hindsight that the coaches didn't have at the time

You try to get the first down and win the game and take the ball out of OSUs hands entirely. Whether it's 45 seconds, 60 seconds, 90 seconds I agree with MFs call to try to win the game with a first down and keep the ball out of OSUs hands entirely to prevent a last minute hurry up offense.
3:18. anOSU has two timeouts. Estime runs up the middle for 11 yards. If the bucknut lbs tackle him for a gain of 9 we probably win the game if we can get the last yard. The same thing happened @Mich in 2009 when Armando Allen gained 10 yards trying to run out the clock.

I DO KNOW IT

OSU has to let 40 seconds come off the clock and only have 54 seconds left.
Ergo they have to take their last TO

Once they take that TO they are out of TO’s, which is exactly what you want if you’re ND.
The clock then becomes your ally. And any subsequent penalty would be subject to the runoff.

If OSU takes the TO on ND’s possession, they’re out of TO’s and the 10 second runoff is mandatory on the IG

Yeah, the play calling could've been better on our last offensive series, and maybe we could've ended the game right there with one more first down, or at least used more clock. But overall, I thought Parker called a good game. And it's over now. On to Duke.

NO, I absolutely know that if a penalty is called on OSU when they are out of TO’s that the 10 second runoff rule will be enforced.

At that stage of the game the clock is your ally, ergo you don’t call plays that can stop it, especially when your opponent only has one TO left

• Haha
Reactions: Wiscobrutus
I think it's comical how everybody seems perfectly ok with criticism when it's highly focused in on something very specific, like say a bad play call, bad clock management during a specific drive, a specific assistant coach, a specific play, etc. (which in the grand scheme of things, changing/improving these specifics is rather inconsequential)

but if your criticism is more at the macro level (focused on the AD, the brand, the university leadership, the culture, the talent, the recruiting, etc.) all hell breaks loose and you are the biggest irrational hater there is.

Last edited:
I think it's comical how everybody seems perfectly ok with criticism when it's highly focused in on something very specific, like say a bad play call, bad clock management, a subpar position group, a specific assistant coach, a specific play, etc. (which in the grand scheme of things, changing/improving these specifics is rather inconsequential)

but if your criticism is more at the macro level (focused on the AD, the brand, the university leadership, the culture, the talent, the recruiting, etc.) all hell breaks loose and you are the biggest irrational hater there is.
I don't believe that's what this is about

It wasn't as bad as I thought with 2:35 left and OSU still with 2 timeouts. The youtube I was using skipped a play. If ND calls run-run-run and doesn't make it we are punting with about 1:40 left and the Bucks have no timeouts but no time.

What I don't get is why on those plays, Parker lined the WRs on the short side of the field and left the other side out of the play? Why would you shrink the field in that spot?

It wasn't as bad as I thought with 2:35 left and OSU still with 2 timeouts. The youtube I was using skipped a play. If ND calls run-run-run and doesn't make it we are punting with about 1:40 left and the Bucks have no timeouts but no time.

What I don't get is why on those plays, Parker lined the WRs on the short side of the field and left the other side out of the play? Why would you shrink the field in that spot?
Good question.

Let's be honest.... This will be OSU's toughest game all year! They will beat everyone else on their schedule!
You might be right. I didn't think too much of the OSU defense but this might be their best going back to the early Urban years. They would have gotten ripped in a game like this in previous years. It was common knowledge that their 2023 season rests on how much improvement the defense makes.

That young OSU QB was also impressive as I read he went 10 of 12 for 155 yards on 3rd down and really engineered that last drive in 1:30 or so. That kid is really going to be good as the season goes on

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT