ADVERTISEMENT

ND vs Clemson Game thread

Hartman has completely nose-dived. Seems to lack confidence and accuracy has disappeared. We always talk about dominant players on the OL but the group as a whole gets pushed around season after season. We need some studs on the DL, nasty and fast LB's, and a legit QB. Play Hartman first three qtrs of Wake and then move on. Go out and get a legit OC.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
Hartman has completely nose-dived. Seems to lack confidence and accuracy has disappeared. We always talk about dominant players on the OL but the group as a whole gets pushed around season after season. We need some studs on the DL, nasty and fast LB's, and a legit QB. Play Hartman first three qtrs of Wake and then move on. Go out and get a legit OC.
I agree with all, but you forgot lack of WRs

The inbreeding of hiring from within is showing. Hire an offensive coordinator already. The defense has masked the liability for a couple of games...but that is over today
maybe if ND wasn't so cheap, let's go to the portal again, use what u recruited.

Seriously, after this does even matter if they go 9-3 or 7-5 ? Who cares if they win or lose the next two game ? The games are meaningless. They will go to a crappy bowl on December 23rd with 10 thousand fans. Yippee!!! This game was a chance to change perception and the narrative. It was all there in front of them for the taking. What happened? It is the same ND we have been watching since Kelly took over. Different coaches, same results. Until they get Elite players, they will continue to lose the “ big “ games.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Seriously, after this does even matter if they go 9-3 or 7-5 ? Who cares if they win or lose the next two game ? The games are meaningless. They will go to a crappy bowl on December 23rd with 10 thousand fans. Yippee!!! This game was a chance to change perception and the narrative. It was all there in front of them for the taking. What happened? It is the same ND we have been watching since Kelly took over. Different coaches, same results. Until they get Elite players, they will continue to lose the “ big “ games.
67,383 attended Notre Dame-South Carolina last season.

Well I do care if they win or not

Reactions: bizzybecknd

Yes it matters to 85+ student athletes who I want to see succeed every year. You can ask the players if it matters to them.

Sure it matters. Get ya to 10 wins. Progression. Even with how bad our O played, it’s a one score game. Faison is gonna be a handful. If Hartman lays that last one in like he always does we are going to a 2 pt conversion. MF will upgrade the QB and WR. Just keep building.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
Yes it matters to 85+ student athletes who I want to see succeed every year. You can ask the players if it matters to them.
Yeah that’s all well and good. Let’s see who plays now that these games are just scrimmages. How many vying for the NFL take a chance? You think Alt is all gung ho to play ? I bet players going in the draft are having second thoughts about risking injury for games that mean absolutely nothing.

If freeman goes to the portal for a qb....angeli will go portal too. At some point...these roster quarterbacks will need to see the field. The Hartman experience has been C-.

Reactions: tkirish and NDinNJ
Yeah that’s all well and good. Let’s see who plays now that these games are just scrimmages. How many vying for the NFL take a chance? You think Alt is all gung ho to play ? I bet players going in the draft are having second thoughts about risking injury for games that mean absolutely nothing.
I would bet the players don’t look at them as scrimmages and will play the best they can to win out. If they mean absolutely nothing to you, you have a couple Saturdays free now.

The answer is “yes” athletes at this level are fierce competitors, it’s in their DNA.

If you’re a competitor, every game and every play means something

Whiners and quitters give up, warriors fight on !

This is the ND reality until proven differently. I had hopes Freeman was changing the recruiting equation and could inspire extra effort. It’s a game by game assessment over a season…but at this point I concede I was wrong.

You are correct that this season is now moot. Freeman never mind Parker is in over his head. Most coaches are learning on the job. The talent isn’t what we thought.

ND is a top 20 or so team. Not a disaster by any means. Still fun to watch and follow. But it’s not 1988 by any stretch.

Freeman is a 3-5 year plan. We will see if he can progress towards becoming a legit NC contender. It really now comes down to recruiting in an era of NIL and transfers. And maybe making assistant coaching changes.

It is what it is.

I would bet the players don’t look at them as scrimmages and will play the best they can to win out. If they mean absolutely nothing to you, you have a couple Saturdays free now.
We shall see. The way the format for bowl games is now , unless you’re in the playoffs or a NY6 bowl , the other games mean zero. And if you think I’m wrong , that’s fine. However, watch how many players decide to sit out those games because they don’t want to risk getting injured before the draft. At this point I would love to see the two backup QBs play and other young players to see what they bring.

Sure it matters. Get ya to 10 wins. Progression. Even with how bad our O played, it’s a one score game. Faison is gonna be a handful. If Hartman lays that last one in like he always does we are going to a 2 pt conversion. MF will upgrade the QB and WR. Just keep building.
Agree. 10-3 is improvement. Recruits will see this and Freeman can sell that they choked as coaches against OSU, lost the turnover battles against Clemson and Louisville and that we’re right there. 7-6/8-5 is no where near 10-3. I personally had a hard time seeing 10-2 this year. Kind of figured lose 2 of 3 against OSU, Clemson, USC and then one other game.

It has been a tough schedule too.

The receivers wouldn't see the field on a top 10 team...Evans excluded. Hartman appeared to mail it in in the 4th. He should sit next week. Let angeli play..since he is burning a year anyway. Get something out of the rest of the season.

The answer is “yes” athletes at this level are fierce competitors, it’s in their DNA.

If you’re a competitor, every game and every play means something

Whiners and quitters give up, warriors fight on !
I hear you. I agree about not quitting. But if you’re an NFL prospect with a legit chance to get drafted, do you still play ? Alt is a legit first rounder. What if he plays and gets injured ? It’s a real possibility. I’m just saying. At this point play the youngsters. There is nothing to lose. See what you have for next year.

Looks like a ND developed QB now!

I hear you. I agree about not quitting. But if you’re an NFL prospect with a legit chance to get drafted, do you still play ? Alt is a legit first rounder. What if he plays and gets injured ? It’s a real possibility. I’m just saying. At this point play the youngsters. There is nothing to lose. See what you have for next year.
When your job depends on winning, you don’t roll the dice and play lesser athletes just to see what you‘re going to have next year.

Would Montana and Bettis quit on their team

If you were a high draft choice at what point in the season would you quit ?

Freeman should be a Linebacker coach at a place like Cincinnatti, NOT head coach at ND!
Man, he and the OC just aren't up to the job

Well I think you would have to wonder how recruits that are on the fence would take it and whether they all take it the same way

Good and fair question. Well I don’t know since I’m not in their shoes. But, if my draft pick was projected high and I’m looking at a million dollar plus contract, I would have a serious discussion on whether it is worth playing 3 games that mean nothing other than getting to a specific bowl.

Well I think you would have to wonder how recruits that are on the fence would take it and whether they all take it the same way
Yeah , I mean you’re right. No one can say games against WF or Stanford mean anything. Ok they win and go 9-3. Big deal does anyone think this was a successful season? I don’t. They beat nobody. It’s frustrating. SC is their biggest win they are a fraud this year.

This is the ND reality until proven differently. I had hopes Freeman was changing the recruiting equation and could inspire extra effort. It’s a game by game assessment over a season…but at this point I concede I was wrong.

You are correct that this season is now moot. Freeman never mind Parker is in over his head. Most coaches are learning on the job. The talent isn’t what we thought.

ND is a top 20 or so team. Not a disaster by any means. Still fun to watch and follow. But it’s not 1988 by any stretch.

Freeman is a 3-5 year plan. We will see if he can progress towards becoming a legit NC contender. It really now comes down to recruiting in an era of NIL and transfers. And maybe making assistant coaching changes.

It is what it is.
Do you remember me telling you that Freeman hadn’t proven anything? Now I feel like you’re doing the same thing in reverse where you’re focused much more on recruiting and want to wait 3-5 years.

I think ND got gashed on the run not because of talent but coaching and scheme. I’m not saying Freeman is the answer but he can still learn from his mistakes. Unfortunately I think he’s too focused on x’s and o’s instead of sticking to a system and that is a losing recipe in college IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT